JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (1:5)

What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6?

That we ask with faith.

How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

Trials test our faith, which causes us to lend more on God and draw from His peace. Which causes us to grow in our faith > love > and peace so we are able to receive His wisdom

John 14:27, Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid. (NKJV)

And in 2 Tim. 2:22, 22Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. (NIV)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, we are reminded that we should ask God for all things and believe that He will answer and give the desires of our heart. However, not only are we to ask for wisdom, but we must do so with the knowledge that in believing, we will receive. Our faith must be steadfast in the Lord.

In my life, I have found that it is through trials that my faith strengthens. I have made many mistakes and many bad choices in my life, but through it all, God has been with me and has constantly given me wisdom. I may not have made immediate changes when I knew I was doing something wrong, but I have learned many a great lesson in the bad choices I have made. I know, with all my heart and soul, that it has been through the trying (trials) times of life that I have grown the strongest in my faith and in my love of my Heavenly Father.

The promise to claim in verse 5 is, that if we ask GOD for wisdom He will give it generously to all without finding fault.

The condition in verse 6 is that we must ask believing that we will recieve that for which we ask.

Trials help us receive this wisdom because we come to realize there is no other one that has the answer for us but GOD and Him alone.

Ok, I'm going to take a little detour and try looking at this from a different perspective

I read all the post and the only one I noticed (If i missed some other's, sry :unsure: ) that mentioned the Bible as the best source was

Bob Reeves concerning conditions for getting the answer. The overwhelming answer to this Q was faith.

I know GOD does speak to us in different way's and I have been as guilty as the next person, asking GOD for direction or what ever then put all

my trust in Him waiting and still end up wrong. Can anybody hear me?? :o

Hear is what I have come to believe. The Wisdom that GOD has promised to give us comes right from His word. Many people including myself

have tried to short cut the labor of study out of our lives, (I said study, not reading scripture) and we kind of take the approach of, Ok God

I'm putting all my trust in you and I aint budging till I hear from ya and then take a big breath :o and wait. We can trust and be as sincere

as is possibe but GOD overwhelmingly require's our Trust to be in His word Proverbs chpt 2v1 thru 7 speak's to that.

Also in James 1 v5 it refers us to Daniel 2v21 The part that say's, He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to them that KNOW UNDERSTANDING. I think this is one of those times you cannot take the verse's for what they seem to be saying but you must take them for what they are saying.

How many times have you been reading GODS word or listening to it and bidda bam-bibba boom, You got your answer

All this was just for encouragement to some who do not know. Im in NO WAY suggesting most of you didn't allready know it but just didnt take the time to express it. B)

Thank you to Alan's post that wisdom from the Father comes from something He's already given us - His Word. Whatever answers we need, we can find it by studying His Word. Now, I'm not saying all of the answers are easy to find. Contrastly, frequently we may need help from someone else or an outside source to discover the answer, but His Word is always available and His answers never change.

Back to the question....What is the promise the claim in verse 5? That when we ask God for wisdom, it will be given to him. There are no conditions attached to this promise. Not 'if you've been good...' or 'if God feels like giving wisdom to you...' but generously and to all without finding fault. The condition attached to this promise is that we need to believe and not doubt. The wisdom / answer we're searching for may not be what we are expecting. But we need to believe and not doubt - acting on what He tells us.

Trials help us achieve this wisdom as we learn through trials how to gain His wisdom and we learn to trust in His wisdom.

Q. 4. What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

James 1:5-6 (5)  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously without finding fault, and it will be given to him. (6) But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

The promise is that if anyone asks God for wisdom, they will receive it because God is generous. WOW! :D What a promise! It has a condition in that you have to believe when you ask. This is because he who doubts is like a feather blown around. Or, as the Bible says, like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

A person like this who is tossed and doubtful never realizes when they have received the promise.

Trials help us to trust in Jesus because we learn that He is faithful and true. His love knows no bounds. He is always there for us. The more we learn to put out trust in Him the better off we will be.

Wisdom, is the promise we receive when we ask for it and God not only gives it generously to all who ask. But He also gives it without finding fault. The catch is you have to believe and not doubt that it is God who is the one who gives it.

As we face many trials in our lives God helps us through them. We have a choice we can receive the wisdom that comes from God and grow in our faith through God's wisdom. Or we can refuse to believe that it is God's hand that delivers us from our trials and rely on our own wisdom. In which case we will not receive the gift of God's wisdom.

I think what this is saying is this, we can't go around thinking that sometimes it's God's grace that gets us through the trials we face. Then turn around and say Wow! That was easy I got through that one. Or I did this to get through that. We have to always give the credit to God.

The wisdom that God gives to us is what gets us through all the trials we face in this life. And only He deserves the credit. Not us. So thanks be to God for all He does for me.

To the question of asking God for wisdom, I have this to share. 1. Wisdom is the first gift of the Holy Spirit. So when we desire and ask for wisdom, we areasking for the most exceleltn gift. 2. Wisdom will not enter a soul subject to sin. So if we really desire and seek God's gift of wisdom, then be purified of your known and unknown sins of your life. Ask the Lord's pardon in a humble and sincere way. 3. Be ready to accept it as and when the Lord will deign to send it.

I wish all of us be filled with this divine wisdom that we may know what HE wants of us and distinguish this wisdom from the worldy one. Amen.

Tom Polackal.

To the question of asking for wisdom, I have this to share: 1. Wisdom is God's most exceeltn gift after the gift of His Son, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. So it is a gift that every Christian outh to ask and ask for it persistently so that he/she can have it as it enables one with this gift to please God in all that one does.

2. Wisdom will not enter a soul subject to sin. So if you want this exceeltn gift, ask for pardon for your sins in a humble and sincere way.

3. After asking let the Lord give it as and when he likes. Let him choose the time and the matter of giving it as we get the best when we lave the choice to him. He in his infinite wisdom knows what and how to give it.

So ask knowing that you will get it. Amen.

Tom Polackal

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

The promise is that God will grant wisdom to those who ask --the conditon is that you must ask in faith without wavering (doubting) -- how do trials help us receive this wisdom? Faith comes by hearing--and hearing by the Word of God-- Trials help us to rely on (trust) God, to trust His Word--the condition of asking and receiving--

Wisdom differs from knowledge in that knowledge is facts--wisdom is how to use the facts you know! So, asking God for wisdom is asking God how to use the knowledge we have--asking Him to give us insight/understanding!

The promise is that God will give us wisdom just for asking for it without any question. The condition is that we have to believe with all that is in us, and not doubt God's messages to us in any way. NO BUTS!!

It is only through trials, and how we handle them, that God can see if we are really singly focused on Him and not on the world. As Joyce Meyer says "When trouble strikes, go to the THRONE, not the PHONE."

The promise to claim is that if we ask for wisdom, God will give it to us without judging us...He will give it generously. The condition attached to this promise is that we have to come to him repenting of our sins, believing and not doubting. We must ask with a "clear committment and faith." Until we deal with our sin we will not be able to hear the wisdom God speaks to us. Since adversity and trials have a way of flushing out our sin we can now get in alignment with the will of God and strengthen our faith and resolve in abiding in His word. Therefore, we are able to become of "one mind" trusting and leaning on the Lord and not our own understanding. As we endure and pass the tests of life our faith grows and so does our relationship with the Lord. We are now in a place in which we can hear the wisdom God speaks to us.

The promise is wisdom, granted with out question.

The condition is that you must believe, no second thought, doubt, ask in faith-and believe through faith that it will be done.

Trials are the cleansing portion of our life, thur trials and faith all doubt is washed away. You must accept by faith, and believe.

If we lack wisdom we should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

The condition is that we must believe and not doubt. We must ask with a clear commitment and faith.

Trials help us receive this wisdom by helping us take a good look and identify the issues and do what is necessary to make the decisions we need to make.

l. God promises us wisdom, but I believe he wants us to

ask for the wisdom that will glorify Him, as was the case

with Solomon. Solomon put God first and more was given

unto him as a result.

2. The condition attached to the promise is that we ask

in faith knowing that God requires us to be obedient,

and not half-hearted in our asking.

3. Trials help us because we often feel alone in these

trials and know that in our own strenght we are unable

to come out victorious. I am presently going through a

trial that has taken its toll on me physically, emotionally,

and spiritually resulting in pain. This trial has resulted in'

finding myself continually UPON MY KNEES.

p.S. I covet all your prayers.

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

Wisdom. The same wisdom Solomon received is available to us today just for the asking.

What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6?

Asking with unwavering faith that you might receive it. Unwavering, beleving that you can have it and God thinks you deserve it.

How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

Hopefully with deliverance from each trial you learn who your Deliverer is and through this knowledge you would gain wisdom.

I may be jumping the gun a little but I believe that this is inextricably linked to Chapter 3 Verses 13-17, particularly Verse 17. We are offered abundant wisdom 'of that kind'. We must always be prepared to be challenged by God's wisdom. He just thinks differently than we do and He reacts differently. Accepting His wisdom can open up some real challenges to how we handle situations and people.

We are promised that if we ask God, He will give us wisdom. He gives it to us generously however, we must not doubt when we ask.

Looking back on the trials I've endured I can see how they are somehow all connected. Many times I've thought, "Oh, now I know why this happened--this couldn't have happened without that happening first". When we pay attention to the trials and also good things from God we start to see the whole picture. It's like watching a movie of your life. But when we doubt or don't obey, we interrupt God's plan for us and it seems that it takes a long time to get back on track.

Sometimes, I wonder if it's really doubt that we go through, but the unwillingness to accept God's will. Sometimes I get what seems like very clear instruction from the Lord but I fight it because it is not consistent with my plans.

I can also see that sometimes the Lord uses me for things that have nothing to do with me. He places me where He needs me for His purposes.

Prayer can help me ask God for wisdom. Meditation can help me listen to His answer. When the mind is quiet, the answers come.

THE PROMISE TO CLAIM IN VERSE 5

IS OF MUCH LOVE AND CARE. GOD

SHOWS THROUGH HIS WORD THAT

WE CAN GO TRUE ANY TRIALS AND

IF WE HAVE FAITH AND BELIEVE IN

HIM, WISDOM CERTAINLY BE OURS.

THIS CONDITION I SEE IT AS A

REQUIEREMENT, SOMETHING WE

HAVE TO COMPLETE AND THAT IS

PERSEVERENCE, THEN WE CAN

REPENT AND MAKE A CLEAR STRONG

COMMINTMENT TO OUR SAVIOR

LIVING THE LIFE THAT HE HAS PREPARED

FOR US. GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU

I believe that the Scriptures cover every single aspect of human life. Our human wisdom is limited to our experience, "knowledge", "logic" and heresay from people with the most incredible fore-hindsight. :huh:

God holds the key to true wisdom, which is more precious than rubies and choice gold. Plain and simple. Godly wisdom is free to the humble; it's available to all MEN (mankind).

Faith is when you turn off your sense of self and submit COMPLETELY into God's hands. It's so amazing what can be accomplished when you are completely in the mercy of God's loving hands. Praise God when I am smart enough to let him do the driving of my life. :lol:

The promise is that if any lack wisdom they may ask and receive it

The condition is that we believe that we receive it, and do not doubt or be double-minded about whether we receive it - in which case we cannot receive wisdom or anything else from God!

We need so much confidence in God's Word that nothing can shake that confidence. All things are possible with God and that's some of the best news anyone could ever hear. Having faith in God also means having the faith of God. He expresses His faith by words and we also need to express our faith in words constantly, backed up by scripture. That way, all things are possible! We must go for it! Don't live by halves! Take life by the horns! Get on board! Adore God and set your visions before Him. With His peace He will sort them out - peace for the right ones, restlessness if something is off. Hence wisdom! If we truly trust Him and adore Him, and cannot bear to be out of fellowship with Him, He'll show us all the wisdom we need. It takes ages to learn but it is so simple!

How do trials help us? They put us on the edge, into the combat zone, out there where faith works and fear doesn't, out there where we search for the PEACE of God which passes all human understanding in the middle of conflict. Psalm 34:20 says the enemy does not speak peace but devises deceitful matters. This is the face of the enemy (the trial) for which we have a suit of armour (Ephesians 6) including the sharp two-edged sword (the word and prayer). We brandish this sword in the trial with (hopefully) more and more skill. How much skill do we want? It comes through trials. We are here doing battle for God's Kingdom and it's one trial after another. But only for a tiny lifetime before the ETERNAL LIFETIME. Eyes on the general (Jesus) and forward march! Eyes off the battle (mountainous seas, the world) and onto Jesus. Without trials we are the baby who never learns to walk. With successfully fought trials faith is extended into the next zone/level. Up a level? Through a trial! Victory and my cup runneth over with joy. Eyes forward. Quick march!

The promise is that if we ask for wisdom He will give it and most generously and kindly. We are only to ask for it and our gracious God will supply because He has it to supply and abundantly.

The condition is that we are not to doubt.

The rewards are great if we will just trust in Him. We will have a greater intimacy with Him and more confidence in this life to face greater trials with poise and a smile on our faces and our God will be glorified.

We need to pray for each other!!

God Bless you all!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

I prayed for wisdom on what to do with my past doubts and lack of faith and mistakes and I felt God saying put it aside so as not to let it hinder me from becoming what He wants now.

"Close the book on pages sad and gray

Within the future do not look

But live today today "

Verse five says that if we want to receive wisdom we must ask for it and it will be giving. But verse six says that we must ask for it with a faithful heart, truling believing that God will give it to us. When we have trails and we turn to God to pull us through it helps us to pull through it and builds us into a more mature Christian attitude. He gives us wisdom and strength to be able to face the same situation when it approaches us again.