JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisdom, but to receive we must believe and not doubt. The double-minded man is that man that at one minute believes and the next minute is not so sure. The sin comes as the result of not being so sure that God does rule in our lives. Faith is being sure of that which cannot be seen. It is a gift of God. The man who believes follows God. That is the man who will receive wisdom.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

The the promise to claim in verse 5 is to receive wisdom for the asking.

What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6?

Attached to this promise in verse 6 is that we must ask with a clear commitment and faith.

How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

Trials help us receive this wisdom by leading us to God's wholeness within.

• 1 month later...

If I lack wisdom I should ask God for it. And when I ask God for wisdom, I should believe, with no doubt, that He can provide the wisdom that I am asking for.

Trials put me in a position for spiritual growth. Trials put me in a position that requires wisdom that I don't always have and that is certainly the point in the trial. Trials are all about spiritual development and maturity. Spiritual development is a lot like going through Navy bootcamp. The drill instructors are putting civilians through training and challenging conditions in order to develop a person from a civilian into a sailor. This requires challenges that develop teamwork, trust in leadership, obeying orders, placing other about self, etc. in order to make an effective sailor.

God is doing the same thing to the Christian. He is puts us through a tailored program to develop us spiritually, to bring the best out of us and to develop the mind of Christ in us. So that we can effectively serve Him and make a difference on this planet and throughout eternally for God. It's all about developing spiritual maturity.

• 4 weeks later...

Ask God for what you need, we can't do it on our own. We need the Wisdom of God also when we ask, believe, simply believe that we will receive. But 1st we must believe in God Himself. Trials bring forth faith, faith helps our belief grow stronger, and belief helps us obtain wisdom.

• 1 month later...

The promise of verse 5 is that wisdom will be generously given to anyone who asks without doubting (verse 6). When trials get real bad, I do find myself leaning on God for wisdom. I just need to ask for wisdom in every situation, not just when things get bad. I find myself trying to control things on what I consider "small stuff." I need to lean on Him in all I do.

• 2 weeks later...
Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

VERSE 5: WISDOM, IF WE ASK FOR WISDOM, AND REALLY WANT GOD TO SHOW WHAT HE WANTS US TO DO, THEN WE HAVE TO BE ABLE, WILLING, READY TO ACCEPT THE ANSWER. WISDOM, GOD WILL BLESS YOU WITH IT. I FEEL THAT IF SOLOMON ASKED FOR WISDOM, AND NOT RICHES, HE WAS BLESSED WITH IT ALL.

HOW WILL TRIALS HELP US TO RECEIVE WISDOM? TRIALS ARE LEARNING EXPERIENCES, WHICH WE SHOULD GAIN SOME KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM FROM EACH ONE.

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?
:P GOD saids to ask for what we want. In James 1:5 it James the author is saying that if you need wisdom to ask

GOD, Ask God what it is that he wants u to do, and he will answer. He doesn't have a problem with us asking.

The condition is that once we have asked an received an answer, not to be double minded.

Our trial should cause us to learn from it. You should learn something.

• 1 month later...

The promise is that if we ask for wisdom God will give it to us, generously without finding fault. The condition is that we believe and are single minded towards God. If there were no trials in our lives we would not strengthen our faith and we would remain like spiritual babes. The first step to being single minded is found in Prov9:9-10, "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." During trials it is often wise to asks other more experienced Christians to help us too, as advised in the rest of the verse quoted above.

• 2 months later...

The promise refered to in verse 5 is that if we, lacking in wisdom ask for it from God, He will give it to us, generously without finding fault.

The condition attached to the promise is about the way to ask it.God does not want from us to ask anything from Him without trusting in Him totally, setting aside all sort of doublemindedness and come to Him,submit yourself into His hands and ask Him to grant you the wisdom. And I love the way in which James portrays the man who doubts comparing him to a wave affected by a wind(=doubt).

I think trials help us to overcome our doublemindedness and helps us to ask God to give us the wisdom trusting in Him and without any doubt. And then God will give the wisdom.

• 1 month later...

1) The promise given in verse Ja1:5 is "wisdom." I understand wisdom to be the spiritual capacity to see things from God's perspective.

2) The condition attached to the promise of wisdom from God is belief in God. God rewards belief; He does not respond favorably to unbelief. Inherent in the word belief is trust. We are to trust Him in all matters to save us from sin and lead us to abundant eternal life, despite outward appearances reflected by the various trials and circumstances we are experiencing.

3) Trials help us to receive this wisdom by revealing our single-minded belief in Him, if we are of a single-believing mind. Once our belief is made certain and full through testing, we obtain wisdom as a spiritual course of heavenly law - which never fails.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are promised wisdom in v5 but we will only recieve it if we ask without waivering (no doublemindedness)! Trials help us recieve this wisdom we learn through trials to not hesitate and to immediately turn them over to God.[/color]

• 1 month later...

We are promised wisdom when we ask God for it, fully trusting and having faith in him. If we ask, not truly expecting Him to provide, then we will not receive. The trials we encounter are tests that we are given and, when we bear up from them, we are assured the corwn of life that God has promised.

The promise we as born again Christians are assured is when we ask God for wisdom he will grant it. He witholds no good thing from his children. We must have been transformed into a new mindset which places God's desires above our own. We must ask in faith for it is impossible to please him without it. Why should anyone ask God for something and believe they may not recieve it? This I believe, is a person that has not truly accepted God for who he is. Trials come to make us strong and to depend on God. Oftentimes we don't see the good when it's happening, but in our Christian walk we learn that he will enable us to endure each trial. We can look back and see that there was a lesson to be learned and we can learn to put every aspect of our life in God's hands. I have gone through many trials and tribulations, yet God has enabled me to see something good in everyone of them. This was not easy at first but I have learned to depend on God, to worship, and thank him even the more.

• 1 month later...

The promise to claim in verse 5 is "Wisdom", which you can claim on the conditions that you have a true heart in the Lord & that your faith is in God alone & you do not waver.

Trials help us by strengthening us in faith, the more we lean on God the more we trust the stronger our faith grows, the stronger our faith the less likely we are to waver or for us to be divided in our thoughts or hearts. Trust Trust Trust!

• 1 month later...

THE PROMISE IS TO ASK FOR WISDOM AND GOD WILL GIVE IT TO US GENEROUSLY AND WITHOUT FAULTFINDING. THE CONDITION IS TO ASK IN FAITH, WITHOUT WAVERING, LIKE A DOUBLEMINDED PERSON WOULD DO.WITHOUT TRIALS, WE PROBABLY WOULDNT LEAN ON GOD'S WISDOM AS MUCH. A LOT OF PEOPLE RELY ON HUMAN WISDOM AND NOT SEEK GOD'S WISDOM UNTIL THEY'RE DESPERATE.I'M DEALING WITH THIS RIGHT NOW AS I SEEK GOD'S WISDOM AS TO WHETHER I SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT SAY ANYTHING TO A PARENT WHO IS CAUGHT UP IN IMMORALITY BUT BELIEVES SHE IS RIGHT WITH GOD AND ON HER WAY TO HEAVEN BECAUSE SHE READS THE BIBLE AND GOES TO CHURCH OCCASIONALLY.SHE DOESNT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT SHE NEEDS TO REPENT OF SIN IN HER LIFE AND TURN AWAY FROM THAT LIFESTYLE.GOD BLESS..

• 1 month later...

The promise is that God will gives us wisdom. The condition is that we ask. Something we as Christians need to ask more of including myself. Trials help us receive God's wisdom because hopefully we will ask God how to withstand the trail, or what to do in the midst of this trail. Then God will give us the wisdom to overcome. We walk by faith, not by sight. (2 Cor. 5:7)

• 4 weeks later...

The promise is that God will give us wisdom and the condition is that we have to ask for them without any doubt and believe that God will give it to us if it is His will to give it to us. Every time we face a trial we turn to God and ask for His guidance to overcome this trial and with this full belief we shall receive the wisdom in order to make the right decision to overcome this trial. Now we do get instances where we pray (just because we are used to pray - out of habit) without any conviction and by having this approach (which I have done so many times) we shall falter and bump our heads.

• 5 weeks later...

Q4. (1:5-8)

What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

We are promised that we can obtain wisdom to endure trials joyfully. We all lack wisdom during these times but we do not always see our need to ask God. We can ask how to understand this trial from God

• 2 months later...

Wisdom comes with asking. We must come to grips with the problems we face and understand that we have to decide whether we are going to put our trust in the Lord or keep doubting. If we are going to make the right decisions we must go to our only source of Wisdom. Trials build our faith and trust to seek the mind of God. Through our trials we come to a more clear understanding of just how much we need and can always depend on Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Wisdom is what we are promised but to recieve we must [believe and have no doubt. That is what trials are about, turning to God trusting in Him walking with Him that is what helps us grow in faith, learning along the way, getting wisdom. Proverbs 1 vs 7 says " THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS THE BEGINNING OF KNOWEDGE BUT FOOLS DESPISE WISDOM AND DISCIPLINE." Keep smiling God bless. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

In verse 5 God promises to give us wisdom to everyone that asks. However when we ask, we must believe without any doubt as noted in verse 6. If we doubt, we are will waver like a wave in the sea that is blown about by wind. Trails help us build up faith. These trails help get our attention. They help us to be stable rather than unstable or double minded.