JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q22. Spiritual Adultery

Q2. (4:4)

Why does James refer to church members as "adulteresses"?

What does the adultery consist of?

Who is the aggrieved husband?

What is wrong with friendship with the world?

James is writing to Jewish Christians who are familiar with the term adulteress being applied to the marriage relationship of God as husband and Israel as the unfaithful wife. For example, God told the prophet Hosea:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (4:4) Why does James refer to church members as "adulteresses"? What does the adultery consist of? Who is the aggrieved husband? What is wrong with friendship with the world?

We are the bride of Christ. He should come first in our life. When we leave church or are at the grocery store or anywhere else, do we still realize we belong to Christ? When pleasures or problems come before Christ, that is adultery.

Adultery consists of anything that we put before Christ. He should be first in our lives. We grieve Him when we don't . Christ is coming for His bride, that's those of us who have surrendered our lives to Him. We are in the world but not of the world. When we become comfortable with how the world does things this grieves God. It makes us enemies of God. We cannot serve two masters. We can't straddle the fence that's being double minded. We must choose which one we are going to serve.

He must increase I must decrease(John 3:30)

I have heard many people say that everyone thinks differently now than they did way back when and everyone should change the way they think or go with the flow. Not so. God doesn't change. His Word is forever.

Q2. (4:4) Why does James refer to church members as "adulteresses"? What does the adultery consist of? Who is the aggrieved husband? What is wrong with friendship with the world?

James refers to the church members as adulteresses for their attitude towards God. It is their quarrels fights wars their desires for pleasures their lusts, but they do not have. or get what they want, they are not satified. In John 15 vs 16 Jesus says " you did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go out and bear fruit- fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you what ever you ask in my name.' They have followed the desires of their own hearts, the worldly wants not Christ. Christ is the aggrieved husband. To be friends with the world is to be loved by the world also, but the world hates God, so if you are with Christ then the world will hate you also, but remember the world hated Christ first. John 15 vs 18 tells us that.

• 1 month later...

4.4 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

James is using the anology of marriage. The church is the BRIDE of Jesus. If a wife has an affair with another that is called adultery. If the church, as a BRIDE of Jesus, flirts with or has an affair, desires someone other than Jesus then the church is acting like the BRIDE and is an adulteresses.

The church is become close to the WORLD. Alorigally, the church is married to Jesus but is part of the WORLD. The WORLD here is speaking of everything that is not OF GOD. This can be an affair with small things like taking things from an office or bigger things like having living arrangements with someone other than your wife. Basically, doing anything that the WORLD might think is okay that the WORD says is wrong would be an act of adultery. That OTHER is an adulteress relationship.

The aggrieved husband is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

In the context of these verses what is wrong with friendship of the WORLD is that it cause us to be like a wife that cheats on her husband. We are separated from God. Separation is hell. as those who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q2(4:4) Why does James refer to church members as "adulteresses"?

We know the church is the bride of christ. In this society of the east,we consider a bride being an adulteress when she still have an affair with another man. Then it is the same to those who are spiritual bride of christ that ought to have Godly desire but going after worldly desire.

It consists of the desire and pleasure of sin.

Certainly Jesus Christ is the Husband.

This is wrong when friendship with the world is established by compromises and agreeing with the things of the world instead of influencing the people of the world to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

As the bride of Christ we have turned away and sought other interests. Our focus has gone from a relationship with Christ to seek pleasure and fun from the world. Anything that is more important that our relationship with Christ is the problem. Friendship with the world is based on self and is bound to end up a lonely empty place.

• 11 months later...

Answers:

Only a Married,committed person, can be considered Adulteress..If you are single,and not committed to someone else,you cannot be called adulteress if you fall in love with somebody else.

James refers to church members as adulteress,for might have witness hypocrisy in some of the early Christian,professing their Faith,and worshipping the Lord,yet are together with unbelievers in quest for carnal happiness.

The adultery consist of liaising with unbelievers,

We are His bride...we belong to Him...He feels grieved when we put the world first place in our hearts. Friendship with the world makes us enemies with God.

• 7 months later...

For a believer being a friend of the world is being an enemy of God. The believer is married to God, He is the Husband. For a child of God to pursue evil pleasure strictly for himself and forget about others is like committing adultery, being unfaithful to God. And God tells us that we cannot be friendly with the world when we are married to Him. We must choose between Him and the pursuit of evil pleasure and happiness for ourselves. We also must remember that in Matt. 6:33 Jesus tells us that when we seek God first what we need will be given to us. And in Psalm 34:7 Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

• 5 months later...

The church is the bride of Christ. When Christ’s bride “flirts” with and befriends the world she denies His ability to meet her needs. Anything that takes Christ’s place in our lives is adultery and is “hatred” toward God. If we are not wholly for Him we are against Him.

• 2 months later...

James refers to church members as “adulteresses” because they are to be married to Jesus Christ and they should not chase after the things of this world. Jesus our husband gets very angry when we chase after the things of this world and forget about him. If we are friends with the world then we do not have the love of Jesus on our hearts.

• 6 months later...

(4:4) Why does James refer to church members as "adulteresses"? What does the adultery consist of? Who is the aggrieved husband? What is wrong with friendship with the world?

James is drawing on the imagery of the Church being the bride of Christ (the groom). If Christians show friendship with the world they are adulteresses because they are turning their backs on Christ (the husband) and giving their intimacy to another, the world. You can not serve both God and the world. It's either one or the other. As the verse goes on to say, "whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

• 1 month later...

Q2. (4:4) Why does James refer to church members as "adulteresses"?

They are not faithful to God. they love the world

Cheating: Romans 7 v2 For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him. 3 So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

The Lord Jesus

The world hate God. The Lord said: John 15 v 19 If you had anything in common with the world, the world would love you as one of its own. But you don't have anything in common with the world. I chose you from the world, and that's why the world hates you.

• 6 months later...

Q2. (4:4) Why does James refer to church members as "adulteresses"?

God's love for us is such that He won't tolerate us loving another. Under the Holy Spirit's guidance James takes us to task for setting our sights on worldly pleasures and desires when we should be focusing on loving God and serving Him by serving our fellow man. James tells us that God views our pursuit of worldly pleasures and worldly status and prosperity as adultery against Him. This is a very sobering passage.

This entire epistle is about setting guidelines for practical Chrstianity. It's a blueprint for Godly behavior. There is no high theology presented here, but instructions and warnings for living the Christian life in the real world.

Being involved in a relationship with someone outside of marriage. 

God Himself. He views our love for the world and its pleasures as adultery.

No man can serve two masters. He will love one and hate the other. Jesus said that. Seeking the world's approval often means compromising Christian standards. The world system is definitely not aligned with God's word because the devil is so influential in the world.

• 1 month later...

James refers to church members as adulteresses because throughout the Bible the relationship between God and his people have been depicted as in a marital relationship.  Israel has referred to as the wife of God and the church as the bride of Christ.  A marital relationship is the most intimate relationship there is between people.  So our relationship with God should be intimate and personal just as a martial relationship is.

Adultery brakes trust and the intimate relationship between husband and wife.  It is a form of betrayal.  Vows and promises were made between the bride and bridegroom regarding fidelity.  Adultery compromises those vows.

God is the aggrieved husband.  Friendship with the world means compromising my Christian walk.  The ways of the satanic world order are at odds with the Kingdom of God.  Two completely different value systems.

.James refers to church members as adulteresses because throughout the Bible the relationship between God and his people have been depicted as in a marital relationship.  Israel has referred to as the wife of God and the church as the bride of Christ.  A marital relationship is the most intimate relationship there is between people.  So our relationship with God should be intimate and personal just as a martial relationship is.

Adultery brakes trust and the intimate relationship between husband and wife.  It is a form of betrayal.  Vows and promises were made between the bride and bridegroom regarding fidelity.  Adultery compromises those vows.

God is the aggrieved husband.  Friendship with the world means compromising my Christian walk.  The ways of the satanic world order are at odds with the Kingdom of God.  Two completely different value systems.

• 2 years later...

James refers to members as adulteresses because we the church are married to Christ, just as a women is married to man. In the Old Testament, Gods people were referred to as His bride, the same in the New Testament the Church is the bride of Christ.  

The adultery of the Church members are considered adulteresses if they become friends with the world, we are married to Christ as a wife. If we enjoy the worldly things, we are flirting with it, thus leaving our husband Christ and joining with the worldly pleasures.

Christ who is the head of His Church is considered the aggrieved husband, we are His and not the world's position.

Friendship with the world causes us to forget the Lord and we make our allegiance to the worldly desires instead of Christ.  

• 1 year later...

Once we give our life to God, we are recognized as being part of Christ’s church (His bride). This theme can be traced all the way from the Old Testament where God's people were thought of as God's wife, to the New Testament where the Church is considered "the bride of Christ". The adultery happens when we forsake Christ for earthly pleasures. As Paul makes clear in 2 Corinthians 11:2 (NIV), “I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him,” Jesus Christ is our aggrieved husband because, "Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God." James 4:4 (NIV) A friendship with the world reveals that our relationship with God is not what it should be and we are committing spiritual adultery against Christ until we get this relationship right.

• 5 months later...

Marriage is a life long commitment with someone.  It is a symbol of the union with Christ in the coming age.  Being in love with the world implies that we love other things than Christ.  We are in a sense flirting around with other pursuits when we are to be attentive to tasks of the church.  We grieve the Holy Spirit when we pursue the things of the world.  

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q22. Spiritual Adultery
  • 1 month later...

James chose the most dramatic word of which he could think -- adulteress -- to drive home the point that our lives consist of little additive decisions that either pull us away from Him or bring us toward Him. It's a rhetorical device.

I don't think of the Christian life as either worldly or heavenly, but rather lies mostly in that grey zone between the two, during which we strive, constantly, to focus our minds solely on Him.

For example, when I first get up in the early morning before the sun rises, I usually get a drink, feed Pup and then begin my devotional time including prayer. Today, however, I noticed that Pup had dragged in fine dirt which was all over my bed and the floor. I spent 20 minutes shaking out the bedclothes and sweeping. By the time I sat down to do my devotions, my mind was elsewhere. I was thinking about upcoming deadlines, adventures ... worldly stuff, I guess. The point is that my mind became scattered, or more scattered than it would have been had I had done my devotions in the dirt! 

This is a small thing. Nothing super sinful, right? But it's the sort of decisions made, constantly, throughout the day, to prioritize God over the things of the world. These decisions are additive. Once I make one small decision to put God to the side for a moment while I clean, then the next one becomes easier to make wrongly, etc.

--

What does NOT loving the world look like, I wonder. Is there a level of spiritual maturity at which I don't see the dirt on the bed? The practical outworking of this idea, that doing and thinking ANYTHING that is not of God is adultery, rather scares me. I live among secular people. I'm the only one in my family who is Christian, so far. I still have to relate to them, still have to tend to their needs, to serve them and, yes, enter into their mind-worlds which are very secular. 

Furthermore, though the world is alluring, I'm not certain it's allure is always sinful. Is loving natural beauty sinful? Is loving large concrete masses -- brutalist architecture -- sinful? Is loving another person so deeply and thoroughly that I'd die for him  ... would this be sinful? Are the wonderful art galleries of Paris sinful (some surely are)? Were the beautiful turns of phrase that I read, just yesterday, in a newly published book sinful?

If the test of adultery is "being not of God," then all of this is evil.

BUT I just don't feel His conviction or His disapproval when enraptured by a painting so exquisite I am reduced to tears. I just don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. We are adulteress’s when we claim to be followers of God but continue to be partly involved in worldly pleasures which are contrary to the ways of God. There are many beautiful things in this world that we can partake of but it is the activities that are contrary to the way of God and are sinful that make us adulteress’s. God is the one that we offend and sin against when we get involved in these things. Friendship with the world is a slippery slope that gradually can suck us in completely until the things of God mean little to us. It is betrayal of the One we claim to love.  It should be alien country to us.  Why if we love God truly would we want to have anything to do with places and people who have no desire to have anything to do with God and even less desire to love and obey Him.

Q22. (4:4) 
James is writing to Jewish Christians who are familiar with the term adulteress being applied to the marriage relationship of God as husband and Israel as the unfaithful wife. In the NT the church is thought of as being “the bride of Christ”, and we, the church members, are the bride that have been unfaithful to Christ in our loving the world. This love is seen as spiritual adultery. Our adultery consists of our effort to satisfy the **** of the eyes, the **** of the flesh, and the pride of life that leaves no room for our Lord. By loving worldly things, we are being untrue to our Lord Jesus – Him being the aggrieved husband. Our God is a jealous God (Exo 20:5; Deu 5:9) and will not tolerate our friendship with the world. We cannot be a friend of God and a friend of the world, because “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other” (Mat 6:24). We as Christians cannot pursue our selfish ambitions and still remain loyal to God. In fact, when we look toward the pleasures of this world, we turn our backs to God. We become an enemy of God! The apostle John also warns us: “do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him” (1 john 2:15). Therefore, anyone who deliberately chooses for the world and against God is an enemy of God. 

Q22. (James 4:4) Why does James refer to church members as "adulteresses"? Church members are adulteress if they become unfaithful to their bridegroom Jesus and break their marital vows. What does the adultery consist of? It consists of indulging in worldly pleasures. Who is the aggrieved husband? Jesus Christ is the aggrieved husband. What is wrong with friendship with the world? One cannot be hot and cold at the same time. One cannot serve mammon and God at the same time. A friend of the world is an enemy of God. The choice is ours.

Q22. (James 4:4) Why does James refer to church members as “adulteresses”? What does the adultery consist of? Who is the aggrieved husband? What is wrong with friendship with the world?

James is saying that the church is married to God but playing around with as though it is not married to the things of God. 

Adultery happens when we cozy up to the world system that doesn't love or follow Jesus Christ.

The aggrieved husband is God, because we are the bride.

James says. "Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God."