JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Slaves and Saints

The concept of "slave" infers property ownership. The slave is "property" and wholly subject to the will of the "owner". We are slaves to Christ in that Jesus paid for us in blood. When we accepted Jesus' forgiveness and allowed him into our lives, we completed a transaction

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1a.) (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"?(Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

1a.) The basic idea is that we are more than just a hired hand. I am drawn to Exodus 21. The text narrates that a Hebrew servant is to be freed on the seventh year unless: "But if the servant declares, 'I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,' then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with a awl. Then he will be his servant for life." (Exodus 21:5) We love our Lord and bear the mark of servanthood through Baptism in His name.

1b.) (1:1) What is the root idea of "saint"?(Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

1b.) We are Holy, set apart, consecrated. We are consecrated once for all through the blood of Christ. I am drawn to the consecration of Aaron and his sons and its parallel. It is written: "Aaron and his sons placed their hands on the head of the ram, and Moses slaughtered it. Then Moses took some of the blood and put it on the right lobes of their ears, on the thumbs of their right hand, and the big toe of their right foot." (Leviticus 8: 1-30)

1c.) (1:1) In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

1c.) I am drawn to Jesus' comforting assurance in John: "And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:39-40) Isn't that reassuring? :lol:

Slave: That you do your master's work only and not your own. Saint: "being dedicated/consecrated to the service of God." If you are God's slave, He is your master, thus your work is for Him not you. This makes you dedicated to the service of God.

a "slave" in my thoughts of the word and what was gathered from the reading; is being bound and commited to the Saviour, Jesus. Saint is belonging to God. These words in the Christian relationship to God are being bonded and commited to doing the Fathers will hence becoming a saint-belonging to God being richly blessed in this lifetime, sometimes not being able to see the blessings at hand, but also being blessed and rewarded in Heaven.

Because of the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross I belong to Him. I am His property and my life is set apart for Him.

One of your definitions of slave is, "slaves" are committed to their Master for life, and that is the way I feel about my LORD. He bought me with his blood and I belong to Him.

One of your definitations for saints is, "the holy ones, saints," as consecrated to GOD. Not perfect, but set apart to the service of GOD.

I serve Him because I am His and I love Him.

What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

Being a slave means being committed for service to another. The root idea of saint is being consecrated or set apart for service to God. Both refer to being committed to service solely to another being. In the case of a saint, that being is God. So, when Paul says he is a slave to Christ, it is pretty much the same as saying he is a saint.

WE AS CHRISTIANS DECLARE OURSELVES

SLAVES TO GOD TRUE CHRIST JESUS

MEANING WE SUBMIT OURSELVES WITH

COMPLETE ABANDON.

SAINTS: IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT

HAPPENS TO US WE KEEP ON WALKING

OUR MISTAKES ARE JUST THINGS THAT

WE ARE GOING TO GO TRUE.

AS SAINTS WE CONCECRATE OURSELVES

TO GOD AND WE FIND OUR DELIGHT IN

HIS COMANDS.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

Your replies have been interesting and helpful. In summary, the Greek term translated servant means many things ... one bound to another ... by the bands of constraining love ... one in such a close relationship with another that only death could break the bond ... one who seves another with reckless abandon, not regarding his or her own interests. That is how we should serve and live for the Lord.

And as saints, we are set apart and consecrated for the purpose of God's service. When we were born into God's family by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ we received that title. We have been set apart for God's special purpose. What a marvelous standing, by God's grace. It doesn't mean we are perfect, just set apart and consecrated.

So, fellow saints, it is great to meet you online and may the Lord bless all of us as we study together.

What is the basic idea of Slave? What is the root idea of Saint? In what way

are these words saying the same thing about a christian's relationship with

God.?

A slave is one who is solely committed to another for life service.

The root idea of Saint is one who is dedicated and consecrated to the

service of God.

They are saying the same thing inasmuch as they both are coming into

subjection to their master, with a willingness to do His bidding and become obedient servants to do the master's will.

Hello fello saints;

In Christ Jesus there are the Saints and the aint's.

I am His slave--He bought me with His blood on the cross-committed to Him for life.

As a saint I have faith in His redemption and my salvation in Him and have dedicated

my life to Him-for life.

They are saying the same thing, saint and servant, in that GOD owns me-lock, stock and barrell.

The saint's don't have a problem with being a slave to GOD.

The aint's do.

His slave;

Art

A slave is committed to his master for life-the master owns the slave

The term Saint implies the idea of complete dedication to God

Both of these words have common usage in that once we have been saved by the amazing grace of God, through faith in Christ Jesus, we transfer ownership of our soul willingly to the father.

In bibilical times slavery was common. A slave was a person bought and considered as property and used for service (servant).

According to the old Testament in Psalms 16:3 David wrote, "But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight."

Therefore I would say he was referring to the pious Jew and thus the root of saint.

Note: There seems to no other reference in the old testament to saint.

phenixd

Hello, I am still trying to get the hang of this message board stuff, but here goes. I could not find the notes mentioned, but I will give the answer a try.

The basic idea of being a slave means that I am not in control, but am controled. References to slave in the New Testament often refer to my being a slave to sin before becoming a child of God. And as I grow it is getting easier to see the "terms of enslavement" that used to bind me.

The root idea of saint - I don't know the specifics of this answer, but I do know that being God's child means I am more than a slave who has no control or power over the self. Being in complete submission to God means that He owns me (purchased with Jesus' blood) and that I still do not have control; only the choice to submit.

Being a saint, a child in complete submission to my heavenly Father is like being a slave, though not for unrewarded service; rather being rewarded with the privilege and love of my Abba.

Whether slave or saint, I would rather be Christ's slave, than a freedperson without God.

God Bless all of you.

Dear brothers am blessed with the bible study that we are having together. I found your message to be helpful to understand the term slave and saint. I agree with what most of you said. I think the word saint referrs to be separated or isoalted for God. And slaves are those who are totally submitted for the will of their masters. As a christian we are slaves and saints of God.

A slave does what they are told no questions asked. It means absolute and instant obedience no matter what the cost to them personally.t. They may be allowed to have a spouse or children but this is not their free choice but that of the master. He decides if they are allowed to have contact with a spouse or their children. In other words every single decision about their lives is taken by the master and they have to learn to live with whatever decisions are made on their behalf. No wonder a slave was thankful when they had a genrous and kind owner who thought of their needs when decisions were being made.

:lol: Yes, I am back with you saints!!!

The word 'slave', has a negetive intonation. Because it is applied to bond servants, who are totally without any independence, but were to do, complicitly what their masters wish and instruct.

However there also slaves, of their own choice. People who are slaves to their habbits, hobbies and loved ones.

But the the slaves of our God almighty and Lord Jesus Christ of their own desire to follow and to do the will of God, in all aspects of one's life, makes them "SAINTS". And this type of slavery is a joyus experience and leads us into the kingdom of God.

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

A slave is someone that has no rights and has to do what the master says.

A saint is someone that is bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus.

I may get some people upset with me but I am not a slave, I am a blood bought, daughter of God. I understand where he was coming from when he wrote this book but I am not a slave. I can be a rebellious daughter and my Father doesn't whip me, He loves me. No, I'm sorry. I hope that I don't offend anyone with my belief.

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"? What is the root idea of "saint"? In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God? (Note: to answer this question correctly you'll need to refer to the notes on the precise word meanings.)

A slave is someone who serves a master to the best of their abilities.

A saint serves the Lord to the best of their abilites.

Allbeit a blood bought christian should try extra hard to serve his master.

Love the Lord with all your heart mind and soul. ;)

Q1. (1:1) What is the basic idea of "slave"?

A slave is one who belongs to another. They are committed to and obedient to the one who owns them.

What is the root idea of "saint"?

A saint is one who is set apart or sanctified for the purpose of belonging to another. We become slaves to Jesus of our own free will. We are not sanctified by our own will, but by the will of God.

In what way are these words saying the same thing about a Christian's relationship to God?

It denotes both where we belong as well as to whom we belong. They say the same in that they both declare belonging.

Being a slave means committed to someone for lifetime unconditionally and that master owns a slave.

saint means being dedicated to the service of God.

Although the difference between 'slave ' and 'saint' in socioeconomic context is vast but as a christian, in a spiritual context both mean the same.

my life is a gift of God to me and when i dedicate my life to God and in His service, i will definately accept His will in my life. When i allow God to decide for me that means i commit myself unconditionally. This is the essence of being a slave and saint in christian sense - an unconditional committment to God's service.

A slave is one whose life is completely given over in service to a Master, without any personal rights.

A saint is one whose life is consecrated and dedicated by the Holy Spirit to serve God.

When the Holy Spirit comes in at the moment of salvation, a person is made holy by His presence within and is set apart to live in service for God. This is the work of God in you. This new purpose for your life requires and draws you to give over the entirety of yourself to the Master as you choose less and less of self, and more and more of Him. Ultimately, ideally, you would reach a point of totally giving up yourself and any "rights" to live only for the Master. This is your response to God.