JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Equality with God

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God? How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

The rare Gk word "harpagmos" used here translates a violent seizure of property....something robbed /claimed . Christ however was pre-existent and already possessed equality with God and so did not need to "rob that divine property"

Christ was pre existent and equal to God , having the same nature and fully divine co- eternal, co- equal.....therefore when he entered Time and Space of earth he voluntarily " divested himself of his prestige and privileges" in other words " gave up the glory and majesty of a kingly Godly reign as the word " kenosis" implies and carried out the Fathers plan to redeem mankind .....which could be carried out only " as a sinless human being " ... Such has been prophesied by the prophet Isaiah also.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus knew that He was equal with His father. He was not created by Him, he was begotten.This is not easy to grasp, really, but Him being Divine, He humbled Himself to become human and put aside (shed) His deity for a while (33 years). to redeem the world back to His father. This is I believe the true Message of the Gospel, the understanding of this fact, although He was divine, He did become human in nature for a while.

This is so totally awesome and we should all try to really understand this sacrifice.

Christ is awesome, for lack of a better word.He did this for "me", is incomprehensible!

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

In my own words, Jesus Christ humble Himself way down to the bottom.  He is not comparing Himself to His Father.  He indicated by my own meaning, that His existence is all based on God's power, God's everything..  Without God, Jesus Himself is nothing and so as me. Because of God's existence, Jesus also existed. Because God lives, Jesus lives.  And now they are ONE unity.

How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?  In our Bible, it is said that there are 3 beings: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.  This indicates that Jesus is divine, since He is God the Son.  He became human in order to experience all that human experience so that we cannot claim that He does not have anything or know anything about us human, but yet He is God the Son and has all the rights to this title.  He chose to humble himself so low, but yet He is still God the Son.

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God? How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

Jesus had the power to do as he pleased but he displayed humility to the father & took on the role of son so that we might have a flesh example of how we ought to walk & live.  Humble ourselves before a thrice God.

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:55 AM

Jesus Christ chose to humble himself to the father and put on flesh out of humility and love for me and you.  Secondly he had equal power.  There has always been total harmony in the trinity.  The scripture clearly states that Jesus was equal with God which makes him divine.

The Incarnation was the act of the Son of God voluntarily assuming a human body and human nature. Without ceasing to be God, he became a human being, the man called Jesus. He did not give up his deity to become human, but he set aside the right to his glory and power. In submission to the Father’s will, Christ limited his power and knowledge. Jesus of Nazareth was subject to place, time, and many other human limitations. What made his humanity unique was his freedom from sin. In his full humanity, Jesus showed us everything about God’s character that can be conveyed in human terms.

What Jesus taught and what he did are tied inseparably to who he is. John shows Jesus as fully human and fully God. Although Jesus took upon himself full humanity and lived as a man, he never ceased to be the eternal God who has always existed, the Creator and Sustainer of all things, and the source of eternal life. This is the truth about Jesus, and the foundation of all truth. If we cannot or do not believe this basic truth, we will not have enough faith to trust our eternal destiny to him. That is why John wrote this Gospel—to build faith and confidence in Jesus Christ so that we may believe that he truly was and is the Son of God

If Jesus Himself, who is "in very nature God" allowed himself to be made into a physical man and crucified so that his sinful children could be redeemed to Him, it is a testimony to how far He will go and how much He loves us!

If He did not humble Himself to be made man, we would all be doomed.

If the King of Kings could humble Himself to walking among us and serving us with His life, we need to serve Him in humility with ours.

Lord help me to serve You by serving others, at home, at work and everywhere between. Help me stop thinking all the time of myself and look for You in the people around me. Amen.

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

Answer: For me, it means that the Lord Jesus though He is equal with God the Father, He chose to obey by dying on the cross for the forgiveness of our sin.

How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

Answer: Having one God and three personality, it simply means that the Lord Jesus is divine just like the God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is fully God but became fully man in order to reach down to mankind and meet their needs. He took upon himself as the "suffering servant."

The pre-existence of Christ cannot be denied. He was with God in the beginning and all things were made by him and nothing was made without him. The humanity of Christ was sinless humanity otherwise the blood he shed on the cross cannot save us. That he is the Son of God reiterated his equality with God.

• 9 months later...
On 3/21/2005 at 1:55 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that i am he. Ido nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me.KJohn 8:28 Jesus is the King 

SGZL3O41H1NKSGZL3O41H1N

• 5 years later...

As pastor Ralph pointed out, these verses start out with the statement, "In your relationships with each other have the same mind as Jesus..." so somehow, the subsequent words about Christ's nature prescribe how we relate to each other.

Honestly, I do not understand this.

Attempt one:  We are to relate to each other with Christ's mindset which was one of humility, then exaltation.  (I'm supposed to relate to you as a temporarily lesser human because I know, secretly, I'll be exalted?)

Attempt two: We are to relate to each other with Christ's mindset which is one that could have demanded equality but instead chose inequality, therefore in the end, he became first over all. (I relate to you as if I'm lesser than you knowing I'm really the greatest, or will be???)

No. These can't be correct.

I'm confused by the clandestine nature of His humanity. He knew He was God and yet morphed into a human form (this tricked and confused us), even going as far as to endure incredible pain, and then whoosh, He went back up to heaven from where He had come.

And, because He did this, we have an example of how to relate to each other??

My pea brain is overwhelmed. I have no idea what this passage means or how it shows me (other than humility) how to relate to other people.  I'm sorry.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q2. Equality with God
  • 6 months later...
On 3/21/2005 at 12:55 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Divine also means connected to God. Jesus was. Him not belonging to a Trio of Gods, he denied being equal- even tho in many ways it was later GIVEN to him!