JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Equality with God

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

It means that Jesus was never in any danger of losing His divinity or the title of God.

How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

The only way to be equal with God is to be God Himself.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than cling to His divinity and His equality with His Father God,Christ chose to humble Himself and come to earth as part of humanity.

Jesus temporarily laid aside His divine nature, so that He could take on human form and come to earth in order to save mankind from their sins.

Phil 2:6a says "Who,being in a very nature God," which means that Jesus is God. He preexisted with God before the world begin. Since Jesus is God,He is divine pure and simple. :D

• 3 weeks later...

In your own words what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

Jesus always gave God, His Heavenly Father glory for every word and deed. Jesus is just fufilling and obeying the Words and Commands of God.

Jesus does not compar himself to God because his Father is the Creator of all things.

• 1 month later...
kjv

Philippians 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God? How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

I am not sure about the question. So I refered back to

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
, to make sure what the Scripture given for the question was specifically talking about.

"Not robbery" and "didn't cling" seems to me to mean very different things.

Ok, "robbery would equal loss", and Christ Jesus thought it "not loss/robbery" to be equal with God, even as he was in the form of God!DIVINE...AMEN

In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

Christ being equal to God, and equally deserving of all the honour and glory due Him, intentionally chose to give up all the status of that equality by coming to this sin-stained, hate-filled earth.

He could have refused. As God of very God, He rightfully could have stayed in Heaven with the Father and continued to receive all the benefits of that existence.

But...

He chose not to. He "didn't cling" to that position. I think of children who cling to their toys, or their moms or dads. Christ didn't cling, He lovingly gave it all up to endure the shame of the cross out of love for us.

If Jesus is equal with God (the Father), then clearly He shares all the divine attributes of God meaning He (Christ) is divine also.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus out of obedience put his-self aside.He had a human body and human nature because he came into this world as man.Jesus had power,but,He submitted to his Fathers will,and humbled him-self.Jesus completly gave Him-self to His Father.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I BELIEVE CHRIST HUMBLED HIMSELF AND TOOK ON THE NATURE OF A SERVANT, CAME AND DIED FOR MY SINS TO BE FORGIVEN .HE DIDNT CLING TO HIS POSITION AS GOD BUT HUMBLED HIMSELF BY TAKING THE FORM OF A MAN AND BEING OBEDIENT TO DO THE FATHER'S WILL FOR HIS LIFE.HE WAS NOT PRIDEFUL OF HIS POSITION NOR DID HE USE HIS AUTHORITY AGAINST ANYONE BUT RATHER HUMBLED HIMSELF AS THE SON OF GOD,THOUGH STILL BEING GOD HIMSELF.

JESUS IS GOD , HE IS THE SECOND PERSON IN THE TRINITY AND HE HAS ALWAYS EXISTED. HE IS ETERNAL.HE IS THE VERY NATURE OF GOD, WHO CAME IN THE LIKENESS OF MAN .HE IS EQUAL TO GOD THEREFORE HE IS THE DIVINE IMAGE OF GOD AND POSSESSES ALL THE ATTRIBUTES AND DIVINITY OF GOD....GOD BLESS....

• 9 months later...

In humbling Himself to the obedience of the cross our Lord and Savior chose to step down from His divinity and take on the likeness of a man. One would think that as God He wouldn't have to had done such a thing but because He is God He did. This is love.

Love such as this could only come from God. This is absolute and therefore Jesus is divine.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God? How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

To me, it shows that Jesus didn't use His position as part of the Trinity to His advantage. This a temptation none of us can really imagine. He who all things consist in, had power to do anything but chose olnly to do good for others. It's is like the son of a billionare not spending his money, but giving it to those in need. Only one who was truly equal with God, wouldn't consider it "robbery". Those who have exhalted themselves know they are robbing God.

• 2 months later...

(2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God? How specifically does this passage teach that Jesus is divine?

Jesus did not "cling on to His equality with God" because He did His Father's bidding. He was obedient to His Father. He was humbled by His incarnation. He became a sacrifice and suffered terribly by following not His will but that of His Father. The passage states clearly that Jesus is "in very nature God". He was equal to God, being God, but He did not place that equality above service. Having the nature of God as stated in the passage, it is a clear confirmation of His divinity.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Q2. (2:6) In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

Christ didn't cling to his equality with God because He came in the form of a man and endured life as a man would. He did not use His divinity to alleviate any of the pressures that any ordinary man would undergo.

This passage teaches that Jesus is divine, specifically, as He was equal with God, even though He did not used His divinity while in the form of a man.

it tells me that christ jesus gave me hope in being a man that can totally depend on the fathers love. it means i too can live as he lived. i don't have to go my own way and figure this out. it says although jesus was god, he set aside his glory to show us the way to love ,to live, and enjoy the father.

• 1 month later...

Jesus was secure and confident in who He was, where He came from, and what His mission on this planet was. He did not need to promote His equality with God to teach the truth, model a relationship with God and others, and to carry out His mission on this planet.

This passage of scripture clearly teaches that Jesus was equal to God and if He is equal to God, then He is divine.

• 6 months later...

The fact that Jesus didn't cling to his divinity teaches me that I also do not need to cling to my sense of self, or feel that I have a right to be 'all that I can be', especially in the face of what other people need from me. I'm not above it all, I am part of it all. I have a gift to give, and it is me. By giving up his own divinity, I know that Jesus would help me to give up my own sense of self - my ego - in order to fulfill a greater good.

This passages specifically teaches that Jesus is divine by stating it as a fact - he existed in the form of God (NASB). That must have been an awesome existence, and to part with it, or put it aside, even temporarily must have been an incredible event in the heavenlies.

• 3 months later...

Christ made the decision to go to the cross for us. He didn't have to do it but chose to humble himself so that we could be saved. A normal human could not have lived his life and suffered what he did. He had to be divine to accomplish what he did.

• 3 months later...

Christ did not consider Himself equality with God. Christ did not demand and cling to his rights as God. Even though he was God, laid aside His mighty power and glory, taking a disquide of a slave and becoming like men in order to buy us back (redeem) us unto Himself from all of our sins, back to Himself out of a world of sin.

• 6 months later...

Though He is creator God and holds the Universe together by the power of His might, He humbled Himself and came to earth as a man, to live life here totally dependent upon His Father, allowing Himself to be born in a stable, live a homeless life with His only possession, a cloak, and to die on the cross as a criminal,to fulfill His destiny to redeem mankind from hell.

It's implied, in that He didn't cling to equality with God....If He wasn't Divine, it would not have been reiterated as a fact of Who He is. He laid down His Deity, Power and Might, to become a humble servant, completely obedient to His Father's will.

• 1 month later...

In some way, He had to submit to the divine will of God, which was to offer His life a ransom for those who would believe. He did not grasp, or hold on to, his equality with God - He let it go for a while. He became one of us - humbled in all ways as we are in these mortal bodies.

"... in the form of" means that Jesus is a part of God or 'of the same nature' as God. "Equality" means similar, equal or like in kind. Jesus is part of God, the same nature as God and like God in every way. In any case, He is part of God and we are not. He is divine and we are not.

He could have held onto His equality with God but chose not to. This is implied in v. 6. He did not grasp onto His equality with God, but could have. He had a higher purpose that would be achieved by letting go of His equality with God.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (2:6)

In your own words, what does it mean that Christ didn't cling to his equality with God?

Jesus gave up many of His privileges, He humbled Himself, but He did not in any sense cease to be God; He was still fully divine and at the same time fully human

• 7 months later...

Having a somewhat vague understanding that when man was created by God, in His image and likeness, he (Adam who represented the entire human race) was given the dominion or rule over earth - he was given the lease which makes us responsible for it. Adam, as humanity's representative got us in trouble when he trangressed God law which resulted in sin and an overthrow and takeover by Satan. . . My understanding is that God will not violate any decision He makes - which meant that He would not overthrow Satan Himself or use any other spiritual or angelic power to overthrow him and take back control or dominion of the earth. . . He (God) instead already had a plan that would result in man (the second Adam or Jesus) defeating Satan and regaininbg dominion and control. . . This, I believe is why it was necessary for Jesus to put on the likeness of human flesh - assuming a lower form than His original state (temporarily) to - atone for our sins - pay the penalty for our sins which is death - and raise humanity from sinfulness back to righteousness. . . Could He have done this retaining equality with God the Father and not be in violation of His own will and Word, I think not. But being who He is - Omnipotent - Omniscent - and Omnipresent - He already had a corrective action for the mess we would make. . .

Christ's divinity is specified in this passage of Scripture when it decalres that He was with the Father prior to the creation of anything or anyone whether human, angelic or demonic. There was never a time when Jesus didn't exist nor will there ever be a time that He doesn't exist having the same qualities and atributes as the Father (having this understanding that there is nothing or no one that has these divine qualities or attributes other thean the members of the Trinity or Godhead - Omnipotentence - Omnipresence - Omniscience. . .

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus is God but He didn't cling to it.

He even let it go and He came in the flesh.

He humiliated Himself to be one of us.

Some time ago, I got a "He choose the nails" cup.

Guess that says it all.

• 3 months later...