JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Do Struggles Honor God?

Q4. (2:17) You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith. If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honor God? How does that bring value to your struggles?

The struggles and obstacles to our faith is a sacrifice to be lived in the power of His Holy Spirit.  It is a struggle that the world will never understand because they are still unregenerated and knows not the things of the Kingdom of God.

If I were to look at my sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, it will bring honor to God because He calls me to as heirs of God,  “and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.” (Romans 8:17).

It brings value to my struggles as I would be in the company of the apostles who in the throes of a struggle and being persecuted.  “So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer for His name.” (Acts 5:41)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do it all with & for the Lord. It is our sacrifice to glorify Him. It is an honor to suffer as Jesus did. I know Christians in countries where it is costly to follow Jesus. and that is what they say.

I have gone through many struggles and obstacles in my life, but I have never considered them as sacrifices unto God, or for His honour.  I regard my struggles as steps of learning for growing in faith.  Without those struggles I would not be able to appreciate the sacrifice of Christ Jesus for the forgiveness of my sins.

Being a sinful man, I am looking up to Christ for His promise of forgiveness of my sins.  In sin I was born, in sin I grew up, so who am I to think that the overcoming of my struggles is an offering to honour God.  Yet, without God’s grace, I would not be able to go through those struggles.  Without God’s grace I might have fallen into the depth of sin.  Without God’s grace how can I find the way out of the snare of Satan?

There is no offering of mine that can please God, except the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, my Saviour.  That is the reason for me to have faith in Christ, and in Him I have hope for my eternal life.

Paul did not even boast about his sacrifice in the service of faith for those who believe in Christ through his preaching.  He simply said that it was his joy to offer himself as a sacrifice for the service of their faith.  He recognised himself as a servant of Christ Jesus, hence it was his duty to serve them, even if he had to sacrifice his own life for the sake of their faith.  He was sharing his joy with them, so they might also rejoice with him through their struggles to maintain their faith, and to give their life for the Good News of Jesus Christ for many generations to come. For this reason Paul could also rejoice in the day of Christ (when Jesus returns and the dead will be resurrected) that all of his works and sacrifices for the service of their faith were not in vain.

Php 2:16  Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

Php 2:17  Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.

It is very wrong to teach believers of the Gospel that their sacrifice will honour God.  By doing so, the sacrifice for the forgiveness of sin of Jesus Christ is nullified.  All living on earth are sinful, so there is only one sacrifice that can honour God, it is the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.

Ecc 7:20  For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

Ecc 7:21  Also take no heed unto all words that are spoken; lest thou hear thy servant curse thee:

Ecc 7:22  For oftentimes also thine own heart knoweth that thou thyself likewise hast cursed others.

Rom 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Rom 3:24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Rom 3:25  Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Rom 3:26  To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Let’s be humble before God and never consider our struggles and our sacrifices in this world will add any value to the sacrifice of Christ Jesus.  Our struggles are just the necessary tests that Satan wants to give us; if we curse God in our struggles then it would be a victory for Satan.  Let’s always remember the example of Job in the Old Testament whenever we have to go through difficulties in this world.

Job 1:9  Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Job 1:10  Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

Job 1:11  But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

Job 1:12  And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

The more struggles in life will simply help our growth in faith, that we may truly appreciate the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, our Saviour.  May God’s grace help those who humbly put their faith and hope in Christ Jesus.  Amen.

As Jesus Christ obeyed God and sacrificed Himself even to the death on the cross which honored God; so should our sufferings look like as a " drink offering" poured out before God. When we pass through struggles and obstacles for the faith and the word of God, then we obey Him, this honor God.

When the unbelieving people see that when you pass through struggles and obstacles for your faith, and when you pass through sufferings; then these people start believing that after passing these sufferings there is good thing coming and start believing. When more people are converted by believing Jesus Christ and become new born. this brings value.

When you go through insurmountably struggles, it looks like everything is fallen apart. 

But, keeping your eyes glued on Jesus gets you through the situation, no matter how hard or impossible it looks.

When you look back onto this event, you can see God's Glory. To grow in the Spirit, you need to have this experience of a "drink offering". The harder the struggle, the more glory comes to God. The praises are a way to say "thank you God" for this struggle.

Keep the faith, keep going, you will see later that this drink was necessary.

Q4.

Q. (2:17) You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith. If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honor God?

A. God would be honoured if we suffered for His sake and persevered joyfully.

Q. How does that bring value to your struggles?

A. Encouragement from the knowledge that God is honoured will make me to make more effort to do more, will thus add value to my struggle.

It honors God through your suffering and obstacles to your faith by looking at your sufferings as a drink offering poured out before God. Instead of looking at your sufferings as why me, focusing on your suffering and of God.

It honors God through your suffering and obstacles to your faith by looking at your sufferings as a drink offering poured out before God. Instead of looking at your sufferings as why me, focusing on your suffering and of God.

Q4. (2:17) You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith. If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honor God? How does that bring value to your struggles?

Looking at my past struggles as a drink offering before God was because it taught me to persevere in my faith and knowing in the end that the Lord's plan's for my life were indeed in his hands.

In my present struggles the ability to remain faithful and wait upon the Lord for his intervention is the most important thing to me. I have learned not to be impatient even if the circumstances seemed bleak at the time.  

Q4(2:17) You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith.

If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out 

before God, how does that honor God? How does that bring value to your

struggles?

1. It is something to rejoice about and not be depressed about. It is a

touching picture of loving worship before God. Letting him know that 

you will still worship him and love him even among your struggles.

2. It will help you to gain faith and to know that God will work it out.

DRIVEN BY BELIEF, it speaks to Romans 8:28  Everything happens for the good of those who love God and are called unto His purpose...It honors God because we believe.  Because we believe we look forward with great anticipation of what God is going to do next, not necessarily now.  It is all about faith.  I see it as one step closer to the ultimate outcome.  In that sense, I keep in mind Isaiah 55:8-11; His thoughts and ways are not like mine.  If I understood it.....JUST BELIEVE!

Yes there is no question that I have gone through obstacles and struggles to My Faith....but I have learned that in our sufferings We enter into the sufferings of Christ...In such moments He is closer than ever ...because when we are weak We are made strong by Christ...If we look at such sufferings as " drink offerings" poured out before God...it in return honours God because We have accepted we can do nothing alone but everything comes from Christ...Did He not make Himself the very same for us? When we partake in the drinking of His most precious Blood?

It concludes that by being poured out..We are emptied...and ready to be filled by Him...We have become humbled by Him...

This brings immense value to our struggles because Like Paul..We recognise that they are never in vain...

Yes there is no question that I have gone through obstacles and struggles to My Faith....but I have learned that in our sufferings We enter into the sufferings of Christ...In such moments He is closer than ever ...because when we are weak We are made strong by Christ...If we look at such sufferings as " drink offerings" poured out before God...it in return honours God because We have accepted we can do nothing alone but everything comes from Christ...Did He not make Himself the very same for us? When we partake in the drinking of His most precious Blood?

It concludes that by being poured out..We are emptied...and ready to be filled by Him...We have become humbled by Him...

This brings immense value to our struggles because Like Paul..We recognise that they are never in vain...

Shalom to the Saints by Faith in Messiah.

GREETINGS,

1. In looking at my sufferings as a "Drink Offering," poured out before Yah how would that honor Him?

It would honor Him in that I would count it all joy in my trials and testings because then I would be trusting Yah Him to deliver me. It would show Yah I was walking by faith and not by sight. Because in the flesh I would be reacting and it would not be Messiah-like.

2. It brings value to my struggles because I learn to be patient, loving, Endure to the end, and have Faith that my struggles will change because of Yahshuas example. Each time a struggle occurs I change to be Messiah like. The value of Messiahs blood, dying on the stake for me, gives me victory in my struggled, because He made it through His terrible suffering. He gives me HOPE I can too. That gives honor to Him that I believe on him in what He has done for me and a lost world, waiting to be saved because of His blood.

With much love

Faith.

GREETINGS,

1. In looking at my sufferings as a "Drink Offering," poured out before Yah how would that honor Him?

It would honor Him in that I would count it all joy in my trials and testings because then I would be trusting Yah Him to deliver me. It would show Yah I was walking by faith and not by sight. Because in the flesh I would be reacting and it would not be Messiah-like.

2. It brings value to my struggles because I learn to be patient, loving, Endure to the end, and have Faith that my struggles will change because of Yahshuas example. Each time a struggle occurs I change to be Messiah like. The value of Messiahs blood, dying on the stake for me, gives me victory in my struggled, because He made it through His terrible suffering. He gives me HOPE I can too. That gives honor to Him that I believe on him in what He has done for me and a lost world, waiting to be saved because of His blood.

With much love

Faith.

GREETINGS,

With much love

Faith.

In the Old Testament,offerings had to be brought regularly and presented according to prescribed rituals under the priests’ supervision. Following these rituals took time, and this gave the people the opportunity to prepare their hearts for worship. Unless our hearts are ready, worship is meaningless. By contrast, God is delighted, and we get more from it, when our hearts are prepared to come before him in a spirit of thankfulness.

The drink offering was an important part of the sacrificial system of the Jews. Because this church had little Jewish background, the drink offering may refer to the wine poured out to pagan deities prior to important public events. Paul regarded his life as a sacrifice.Even if he had to die, Paul was content, knowing that he had helped the Philippians live for Christ. When you’re totally committed to serving Christ, sacrificing to build the faith of others brings a joyous reward.

Q4. (2:17) 

You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith. 

If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honour God? 

How does that bring value to your struggles?

When we struggle, we are to put our trust in our Lord, knowing that whatever He allows to occur is always for our best will, and at the same time is character-building.

All will be able to see a practical example of our faith at work bringing glory and honour to God.

This will be coupled with a life of obedience, holiness, and witnessing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back at life I feel it has been really good for me and that most probably because of my parents prayers .... Being an only child I was brought up with too much love and protection.....

I married an unbeliever from the Islamic Faith but my parents were very tolerant and kept him in prayer ...

I went through couple of life threatening trials and circumstances and would have been shattered but for my upbringing and faith in Christ ( at the early age of 13 I was Born Again ) my trials lasted 40 years but Praise God who is a prayer answering God the trials just ended suddenly, the circumstances in my home changed dramatically and Christ entered my husbands heart...... Someday I pray he will give his testimony which will rock those who hear it. My perseverance and tolerance, forgiveness and prayer oriented life has brought value to my struggles.

The struggles I had were strongholds!  God gave me the power to turn from those wicked ways & honor Him in the presence of the same people I once ran with so that others may be drawn to Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 4/15/2005 at 9:24 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It honors God by trusting him and having faith in him, not giving up or giving in.

By me trusting God and having Faith, God shows me his Great Grace and he lifts me higher, I get through and because of it I'm stronger and better for it.

• 5 years later...

Rain falls on the good and evil alike, on those who believe and those who do not believe in Christ. We all suffer. Furthermore, Christ's suffering on the cross, though horrific, was a rather common punishment at that time. Thousands of people were nailed to crosses and left to die. So I don't believe it's the pain and suffering that set apart Christ's suffering from those of other political prisoners, but our interpretation of that suffering that makes it meaningful. Similarly, many people have suffered greatly in life -- I'm not alone -- yet it is the interpretative grid over my own suffering that gives to me both meaning and significance.

I can't offer anything to God. No human suffering attracts His attention ... nothing I do is good enough, no suffering I endure is deep enough. My life is tainted, even now, after I've become a Christian, by my sin nature. I will sin until I die. I sin as I suffer. I sin when I'm not suffering.

Even my struggles are tainted by sin. I whine, moan and shake my fist at God, demanding to know WHY I'm going through this and WHY He hasn't delivered me or at least alleviated the pain. I receive no response. Divine crickets.

So, the honour to God that suffering may be is oblique, at best. It's not the suffering that honours him, but the change in character that suffering produces. It's the slow diminution of sin that pleases Him.

The ONLY value in suffering is in the change of character it causes. IF this is called a drink offering ... well, okay. I think of it as sanctification.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Do Struggles Honor God?