JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Do Struggles Honor God?

AS WE FACE STRUGGLES AND OBSTACLES WE GET THROUGH THEM BECAUSE GOD IS WITH US.WE HONOR GOD BECAUSE WE BELIEVE HIS WORD.WE ALSO HONOR GOD BY HELPING OTHERS.WE PRAY AND FAST.THERE ARE OTHERS WHO SACRIFICE EVEN MORE.SOME GIVE THERE LIFE TO TAKE GODS WORD TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER HEARD THE GOSPEL.

WE WORSHIP GOD AND LOVE GOD,HAVE JOY AND REJOICE,PRAISE GOD AND ENCOURAGE HIS PEOPLE.ALL THAT WE DO FOR GOD WE HONOR HIM,BECAUSE WE LOVE HIM .AMEN

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i've gone through my struggles, it honour God because he knows thats, when we call on him and we depend on him to bring us through what we are face with,and i know that God won't put more on us than we can bear,For all off our struggles he has a way of escapes for us,,And God wants us to know that he's always there we just have to call on him and he will answer us....and so i know that my struggles will make me strong.. that know matter what am face with God will honour his words to me...

• 1 month later...

WHEN I POUR OUT MY SUFFERINGS AND SORROWS OF THIS LIFE BEFORE GOD, TELLING HIM OF THE PAIN AND DEPENDING ON HIM FOR WISDOM, COMFORT AND STRENGTH, THEN WHEN THE ANSWERS COME FORTH I GIVE HIM ALL THE PRAISE AND GLORY. IN OTHER WORDS, I GIVE HIM THE HONOR FOR WORKING IN THE SITUATION TO RESOLVE IT.SO , IN THAT SENSE, I BELIEVE GOD GETS ALL HONOR FROM MY STRUGGLES BECAUSE IT'S HIS POWER WORKING IN ME WHICH HELPS ME TO OVERCOME THE STRUGGLES.

WELL, IF GOING THROUGH STRUGGLES WILL HELP BUILD MY FAITH IN CHRIST AND HELP OTHERS TO SEE THE PEACE OF GOD THAT I HAVE DURING ADVERSITIES, THEN MY STRUGGLES HAVE VALUE AND ARE NOT IN VAIN. I WANT MY STRUGGLES TO ALWAYS BRING HIM GLORY.I STRUGGLE IN THIS AREA SOMETIMES BECAUSE I TEND TO MURMUR OR COMPLAIN WHEN I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THE BATTLES RAGE SO FIERCELY IN MY LIFE. BUT THE LORD HAS ALWAYS BEEN FAITHFUL TO DELIVER ME FROM EVERY SINGLE ATTACK AND I'M ETERNALLY GRATEFUL......GOD BLESS.

• 9 months later...

The Hebrew translates to "drink offering poured out "on" the sacrifice. I would then take of my cup and offer it to Yahweh, giving to Him my burdens and therefore acknowledging that He and only He can help me. In humbling oneself to Him in this manner we indeed glorify Adonai as in all and above all, able to deal with all things, great and small. I am totally dependent upon Him. My struggles then glorify the Son and to the Father by calling upon Him to simply live day by day.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (2:17) You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith. If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honor God? How does that bring value to your struggles?

I always think of Job with questions like this. Our sufferings are to glorify God. "Though He slay me I will still trust in Him!" God allows our struggles, because He has given us the porportionate amount of strength to handle the trial. How we handle our struggles reveals where our relationship with God is at. God is contiuing to "perfect" us daily. To know that God knows I am able to handle the struggle and trials I am in is encouraging because it means He believes in me!

• 5 months later...
Q4. (2:17) You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith. If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honor God? How does that bring value to your struggles?

Jesus kept me alive during my struggles and sufferings because he was carrying me. How can I not give him the glory for bringing me through them with the opportunity to serve him by giving back to him all the glory.

• 5 months later...

i would no longer be thinking of myself, but thinking of the one who brought me through the pain and weariness. and i could use it for his glory as he sets up these god made appointments. to share and comfort those who are weak and struggling with their faith. it brings value to me because first of all, god sees treasure below this dirt. when i look at myself and compare myself to a holy god, i'm filth,beyond measure. but he sees differently. he sees a work in progress already shinning. i must see this both ways in order to keep my head on straight.

• 1 month later...

It honors God in that I am giving God my life regardless of any sacrifice or hardship I encounter. It brings value to my struggles in that I engaging in those things that have ultimate worth and value.

• 6 months later...

I don't think we're talking about just suffering for suffering's sake. But instead, Paul is connecting his suffering, and perhaps eventual demise, to the faith, service, and sacrifice that the Philippian believers are living out in their daily lives. Perhaps we can instead think of how we can connect our lives to those who are sacrificing and serving for the gospel. For example, we can give to missions, or write letters of encouragement, or stretch ourselves in any number of ways to support those who are going above and beyond for the sake of the gospel. Then I think we would be honoring God with our 'drink offerings'. Of course, this doesn't minimize how our own sufferings can be used to realize God's glory, but I'm just not sure that this is what this passage is talking about.

I have had some severe struggles as most people had. I never blamed God. I always thought I could do everything in my own power. When I realized that God was all I needed I let him work through my struggles to honor him. I was able to trust him completely to turn my life around as I turned it over to him.

• 3 months later...

My struggles would honor God by the fact that I depended on God during them and he brought me through. Sometimes we make our own struggles and he has to get our attention, but he's there with us either way. It's a lesson I won't forget so it's very valuable to me.

• 3 months later...

Through my struggles and obstacles of my faith , My "drink offering"poured out before God Would have to be "Water", pure water, my reason for saying water is because my faith in God is a fountain that want run dry, the more it is poured out their is all ways more to go around , You know that is the way He work when He live inside of me (us). I Love Him just that much so much I just can not explain with words . My faith in God through His Son Jesus Christ want waver no matter what may come my way, as long as He keeps me in my right mine and I have faith He will. Christ suffered and showed us how I (we) are to never let go of our faith in God , So as I (we) walk this road to Glory I (we) to must suffer and as I (we) go through suffering times holding on to my (our) faith no matter what . God has already showed me the way through His Son Jesus Christ and as long as I keep the Cross before me with my mind stayed on Jesus Christ I am sure that I am a sweet smell unto Him and when I have finished my course He will say well done and I will have walked the walk and talked the talk that Honor God.

• 6 months later...

Q4. (2:17) You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith. If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honor God?

It honors Him as I surrender all of my life to Him and His will for me. It moves the struggles, into the realm of positive growth, and the suffering, into the realm of following in His footsteps..."The servant is not above her Master." It demonstrates trust in His Wisdom, and His role as the Father who loves me completely, enough to allow hard things to come into my life, for my good and His glory. He's changing me from a weak "Much Afraid", into a strong warrior through the trials and struggles, and each victory builds my faith and my character, from "glory to glory"....all HIS.

How does that bring value to your struggles?

Rather than thinking of them as random attacks, and myself as a victim of circumstances, I see them as having passed through His permission before they reach me. It demonstrates that He is aware of how much I can bear, and will not give me beyond that measure. I think of when I had to take my babies to the Doctor for baby shots, and as they smiled at me, trusting me and feeling safe, suddenly they were stuck with the needle and screaming from the shock and the unexpected pain. I knew it was necessary for their good, and quickly comforted them and held them. I think that's how my Father in Heaven sees the trials and struggles in my life...necessary in order to continue the work of conforming me into His image. Romans 8:28, and 29. I was told by a wonderful mentor when I was a new believer that you can't claim v.28, without also v.29. The "that" which precedes v.29, is the reason for v.28.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (2:17)

You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith. If you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honour God?

How does that bring value to your struggles?

If I understand the question properly; it would mean all the sacrifices and struggles that I endured, I did for God and He would consider them as an act of worship. Making my life worthwhile, in the end, and bringing glory to our Heavenly Father.

• 7 months later...

What I have suffered has resulted in my growing in my relationship with Christ and Saints as a whole - they have caused me to become more and more like Christ. . .

The struggles God permits are allows in my life have value because they give God an opportunity to shape me - to fashion and form me into a vessel that glorifies Him and brings honor to Him. . . Hebrews 12:5-12 (NLT)

5 And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as his children? He said,

• 3 weeks later...

We do it for Him.

This makes it a privilege.

• 4 months later...

Knowing that the struggles, sufferings, and obstacles in my life of faith to God is seen as a drink offering that honors God, strengthens me to continue living my life as a spiritual sacrifice before Him. It brings me joy to know that God views my service to Him as faithful, because it He that I give all of the glory, honor, and praise.

Learning that the struggles and trials that I am experiencing brings honor to God, motivates me to continue living a life of faith, joyfully, in complete obedience to Him by continually telling others about the Good News of Christ.

• 11 months later...

Q4. (2:17) You have gone through struggles and obstacles to your faith, if you were to look at your sufferings as a "drink offering" poured out before God, how does that honor God, and How does that bring value to your struggles?

For us to offer up to God the struggles we go through because of our faith in God's Son, the Messiah of Israel as a "drink offering" - will depend on how we respond to those struggles or obstacles that come our way, grumbling and complaining is not a "sweet savor" up to God.

We bring value to our struggles when we face them by standing firm on "faith" - consecrating it, the struggles as "worship" - offering ones' life as a sacrifice up to God, devoting ones' life as a servant unto God as a "drink offering" poured out before God, a sweet savor.

• 2 months later...

4a)When I share about the difference Jesus has made in my sufferings,how through them God has brought me close to Him,strengthened my faith,caused me to focus on God more than my probs,then I honour God and give him the glory with my life as my drink offering.

B)Living for Christ amidst difficulties (drink offerings) turns struggles into opportunities,& gives purpose for my struggles, putting Jesus first &his ways in all my speech/decisions. :)

• 7 months later...

If I was to view my sufferings as a “drink offering” poured out before God, I would like to believe that I am honoring Him by my sacrifices that also have to do with my faith and obedience. Though I believe these things, I still remember to keep in mind that God is no respecter of persons (Romans 2:11-KJV) and it is Jesus’ righteousness that I am riding on not my own or, on my own accord. This helps to keep me humble and not become prideful. Knowing that my suffering for Christ is part of my worship to Him gives me a sense of peace, security, and joy that there is a reason and purpose for my life that works for the good of God.

• 1 year later...
Question 4.4

Our suffering, here in North America, is nothing in compared to that of Christ or even Paul and the other martyrs.  Paul sees that suffering for the faith will bring he himself closer to Christ.  He writes, “All I want to know is to know Christ and the power that raised him from the dead.  I want to suffer and die as he did, so that somehow I also may be raised from the dead.” (Philippians 3:10-11) For Paul to live or die, there is no difference and if he is poured out in liberation on the sacrifice and service of the Philippian’s faith.  Paul still wants to rejoice.

Our sufferings in North America are generally not for Christ’s purpose.  Maybe they should be but that is not the case.  Our sufferings are more of a physical nature like Paul’s thorn on our side to torment us.  

If we continue to work for God with this thorn, this working in pain may make people know our love and devotion for God, be impressed and make iniquities about our faith and this honor God.

Honoring God in this way, however, is dated because we are not in a society that stresses honor as did that of Paul’s.

My struggles are only valuable as they bring glory to the Lord.

• 6 months later...

1. Romans 8:17 (KJV) – states, “Romans 17  And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.”  2.  It should bring tremendous value.  Philippians 1:29 (KJV) – states, “For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake.”

• 5 months later...

If I were to look at suffering as a “drink offering” poured out to God it honors God in that we can still see the good in what He is doing. We are dedicating the suffering to Him and going to let Him solve His way. This brings value to our struggles by following what He want us to do.

• 2 weeks later...

If I look at my sufferings as a drink offering to the Lord, I can glorify God.  Basically, I can offer myself and fully give myself to Him in surrender, even if what He has called me to do is difficult.  There is a reason for everything, and He has stored my tears in a bottle.  He values my sacrifice and commitment, and this brings value to what I am going through. The roots of my faith grow deeper, and my character is conformed more to Jesus' image during trying times.  If I dwell in self-pity in anger, however, my struggles become a black hole that do not glorify God at all.