JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

For most leaders, what they do for others is tied to their own needs and interests.  For Timothy, what he did for Paul and the churches was tied to his genuine love for Christ and His people.  His motivations were pure before the Lord, and that is why Paul commended him in this epistle.

Lots of my plans, and even what I have felt called to do by the Lord, have not materialized they way I expected.  During this process God has refined me, using me in areas that I never thought He would use me.  He uses all of my talents, training, and abilities, but not in a way I would have imagined.  I have been humbled by doing behind the scenes work that is incredibly important, but seems so small compared to the need.This refinement does bring greater maturity.  However, I've got a long way to go, and sometimes it is a frequent struggle to not be noticed or appreciated.  The Lord gently leads me back to the cross, and I make Him the center instead of myself. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)
Timothy did not have a hidden agenda.  He truly cared about the people he ministered to.  The things that Jesus dealt with that helped me to become genuinely selfless is how he continued to love and serve the people no matter how they treated him.  I have learned that on this Christian journey you have to have thick skin.  I have become humble and more willing to serve others.  I have my moments, but of course, he is still at work in me!

It was a rare thing--God had gotten hold of him and shaped him. Others got hold of Jesus, but no further.

He's had to shake me head to foot to open my eyes to my heart attitudes.

Still at work! Construction signs still up!!

Because they are not spiritually and emotionally mature; trying to fulfill only their own interests instead of Jesus Christ's. Running to fulfill their underlying desire of power and control of church, church leaders have no genuine interest in church members welfare, they are self-absorbed, they have their own hidden agenda.

Jesus Christ has to make me spiritually and emotionally mature; to make me strong in dealing the interests of other church members rather than mine. Jesus Christ has to rework me so that I will be a good servant of Him. To make me a genuine and selfless servant of Him.

Jesus is at work in me; He has started working.

Q1. (2:19-21)

Q. Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders?

A. Many people in the Church are immature and have not allowed Christ to work thoroughly in them to transform them from selfishness to the genuine love for others.

Q. Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others?

A. I am currently being transformed in the area of giving to others by looking at their needs in order to help and not just be concerned with my own personal needs only. 

Q. In How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

A. Just beginning to change. Want to do better

Shalom to the Saints by Faith in Messiah.

GREETINGS,

1. Timothy was very mature in that he had genuine concerns/interests in others welfare. He was not self-absorbed nor did he have a hidden agenda. The problem was the leaders did not work through their own problems thus were not refined and chastened and reworked by Yah.

2. What things has Yahshua had to deal with in my life in becoming genuinely selfless and focused on others?

OUR FAMILY forsaking all in 1998, when Yah gave my husband a vision to sell all, house, and contents to travel North America and preach the truth. We travelled in a 15 passenger van, and a pick up boxed trailer. We had an opportunity as a family to see the poor, hungry, helpless, needy, and rich in all their glory.

Traveling on the road was a dying to our creature comforts, security, comfort, regular income, the daily amenities that we were use to; fridge,stove, shower, bathroom,washer, dryer, etc. We travelled without these conveniences for 17 months, we used rest stops, truck stops for bathrooms and showers. We prayed for a Motorhome, and was blessed with one for a year, then our family worked at a mushroom farm and paid cash in three months for a 1989 Super Chief Winnebago 40ft. Yah gave back to us all we had given up and more.

This journey taught us how to do without, to sacrifice in not having the every day amenities that we were use to. In doing so as we travelled we were able to give away Bibles, buy groceries for those in need who we saw along the way, and feed the poor.

It definitely taught us to be selfless in giving when we didn't even have. Also to trust Yah for our daily needs.

We have a prison ministry and at times did not have money to buy stamps to send those that hungered and thirsted for righteousness. We ate popcorn for dinner for a week to send out the mail to the prisoners. We do not say this to brag, but we were willing to die to the flesh in eating physical food and be satisfied with little so that the prisoners would be fed the spiritual food which is much greater. Because of our willingness to sacrifice self, Yah blessed us three times more.

Today we still Walk By Faith and not by sight.

3. How has He refined me?

My personality is powerful perfect. When I was converted Yah had to do a real attitude transplant on me.

It was my way or the highway. I was right no matter what. Don't cross me or your in trouble. Yah took me off my high horse of, pride selfishness, and arrogance. I wore 100.00 dresses, wore jewellery on every finger;sapphire, diamonds, opal, etc. I was making 5-10,000 a month. Then one day He convicted me to be a at home mom. In and of myself I could not do it. I prayed for Him to take the taste away. In two weeks He did.

I prayed and asked Him to take away the taste of the obsession and possession of jewellery. I was obsessed to the point of my family doing without because of my greed. Another area I could not do on my own. I prayed for Him to take the taste away. He did. Whenever I went into a mall I was drawn to the Jewelry store like a magnet. After I prayed when I went into malls it was as though He put a veil over my eyes I could not see the Jewelry stores. He delivered me. As for not working, I lost the taste in being a top sales person and how He did that was.I was No. 1 across the country. The top girl received a dozen roses, a crown, a gold and red Queens chair. I was told by the Vice President the chair would not be there. I was determined to think until the last minute it would appear. The night came and went no chair, that was when my career ended. Yah delivered me by not giving me what I wanted the chair if He had of, I would still be with the company today. This is how Yah has refined me and still is on a daily, basis. However I have learned when He tugs I let go real fast.

Have a blessed week,

Shalom

FAITH

GREETINGS,

1. Timothy was very mature in that he had genuine concerns/interests in others welfare. He was not self-absorbed nor did he have a hidden agenda. The problem was the leaders did not work through their own problems thus were not refined and chastened and reworked by Yah.

2. What things has Yahshua had to deal with in my life in becoming genuinely selfless and focused on others?

OUR FAMILY forsaking all in 1998, when Yah gave my husband a vision to sell all, house, and contents to travel North America and preach the truth. We travelled in a 15 passenger van, and a pick up boxed trailer. We had an opportunity as a family to see the poor, hungry, helpless, needy, and rich in all their glory.

Traveling on the road was a dying to our creature comforts, security, comfort, regular income, the daily amenities that we were use to; fridge,stove, shower, bathroom,washer, dryer, etc. We travelled without these conveniences for 17 months, we used rest stops, truck stops for bathrooms and showers. We prayed for a Motorhome, and was blessed with one for a year, then our family worked at a mushroom farm and paid cash in three months for a 1989 Super Chief Winnebago 40ft. Yah gave back to us all we had given up and more.

This journey taught us how to do without, to sacrifice in not having the every day amenities that we were use to. In doing so as we travelled we were able to give away Bibles, buy groceries for those in need who we saw along the way, and feed the poor.

It definitely taught us to be selfless in giving when we didn't even have. Also to trust Yah for our daily needs.

We have a prison ministry and at times did not have money to buy stamps to send those that hungered and thirsted for righteousness. We ate popcorn for dinner for a week to send out the mail to the prisoners. We do not say this to brag, but we were willing to die to the flesh in eating physical food and be satisfied with little so that the prisoners would be fed the spiritual food which is much greater. Because of our willingness to sacrifice self, Yah blessed us three times more.

My personality is powerful perfect. When I was converted Yah had to do a real attitude transplant on me.

It was my way or the highway. I was right no matter what. Don't cross me or your in trouble. Yah took me off my high horse of, pride selfishness, and arrogance. I wore 100.00 dresses, wore jewellery on every finger;sapphire, diamonds, opal, etc. I was making 5-10,000 a month. Then one day He convicted me to be a at home mom. In and of myself I could not do it. I prayed for Him to take the taste away. In two weeks He did.

I prayed and asked Him to take away the taste of the obsession and possession of jewellery. I was obsessed to the point of my family doing without because of my greed. Another area I could not do on my own. I prayed for Him to take the taste away. He did. Whenever I went into a mall I was drawn to the Jewelry store like a magnet. After I prayed when I went into malls it was as though He put a veil over my eyes I could not see the Jewelry stores. He delivered me. As for not working, I lost the taste in being a top sales person and how He did that was.I was No. 1 across the country. The top girl received a dozen roses, a crown, a gold and red Queens chair. I was told by the Vice President the chair would not be there. I was determined to think until the last minute it would appear. The night came and went no chair, that was when my career ended. Yah delivered me by not giving me what I wanted the chair if He had of, I would still be with the company today. This is how Yah has refined me and still is on a daily, basis. However I have learned when He tugs I let go real fast.

Have a blessed week,

Shalom

FAITH

GREETINGS,

Have a blessed week,

Shalom

FAITH

GREETINGS,

Have a blessed week,

Shalom

FAITH

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

Timothy's selfless concern was so rare among church leaders because there were not many willing to take genuine interest in the need of others. Paul saw them as being selfish and not of a giving nature in meeting the needs of others.

Yes, Jesus is still refining me, but, when I encounter genuine a need; depending on the support that is needed I avail myself.

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare

among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at 

others in your church, consider yourself. What things has 

Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to 

become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? 

How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

1. Timothy was a person under construction by God.He took genuine

interest in the people’s welfare.He could send to deal with the 

most sensitive of church problems. He doesn't have a hidden agenda. 

He cares about those he ministers to.Timothy listened to Paul and did 

not try to mistreat him behind his back. He was dependable and tried

to help in any way he could.

1. The Lord dealt with me on being patient with others because it could 

be me and everybody has something that needs to be corrected. What they 

need help with may not be my problem, but something else. He has let me 

know that I need to be more friendly with others and not think about 

what they are doing wrong.

1.  He has let me put myself in the place of some and let me realize that could have 

been me.

Each person is born with special characters.  Each person is a masterpiece of God’s art.  God is the potter and He fashions each one of us according to His desire.

Rom 9:21  Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Therefore, Timothy was designed to carry out God’s purpose.  His life had gone through treatments, teaching, guidance and tests that were necessary for the purpose of God.  Timothy was made with such special and genuine characters to fulfil God’s will and be the light bearer for many other disciples to follow Jesus Christ.  Timothy was a tall candlestick for the church at that time, but Jesus Christ was always the Light of life.  That was the role of Timothy in the church; he was a role model to help many followers to learn the truth from the Word of God, so they might grow in turn into other candlesticks for many generations to come.

We were all born in sin:

Psa 51:5  Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

But we are all called to the light:

Psa 51:6  Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

It is our free choice to respond to God’s call.  If we accept Jesus Christ as our Light of life, then God can always help us to grow and to perfection our characters, so we may also become new candlesticks to carry the Light of God in the world.

Psa 51:7  Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Psa 51:8  Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

Psa 51:9  Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

Psa 51:10  Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Psa 51:11  Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Psa 51:12  Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Psa 51:13  Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

The Word of God is my light and it is the rock on which I built my house.  God would not be able to help me if I choose otherwise.  Leaders and elders who do not grow in God’s grace can be compared to the salt that has lost its savour.

Mat 5:13  Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

There is no need of pointing out the finger to anyone, if everyone live and grow by the Word of God.  All of us are also called to be leaders and elders in the church for our children and our grandchildren.  May God’s grace help everyone who has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as their Light of life.

Timothy selfless is he put self on the back to care about the welfare of others. He truly cared and loved the church and people. It was rare because other church leaders didn't have agape love like he did. They just preached and that's it. When I became saved, Jesus change my entire way of thinking to asking myself what would Jesus do. It the change has made me a better person because I put others before myself.

Q1. (2:19-21) 

Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? 

Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. 

What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? 

How has he refined you? 

(Of course, he is still at work in us!)

Jesus mentions (Luke 8:14) about people being choked by life’s worries, riches, and pleasures. People become so engrossed with the cares of this life that there is no time for the things of Jesus Christ. I see Timothy as an example of selflessness – his life not being choked by side issues, and truly caring for the spiritual condition of the Philippians. 

This is a high commendation for one as young as Timothy. In the beginning of my Christian walk, in all ignorance, I placed Christians on a pedestal, and looked upon them as being kind and gentle, and not prone to sin. But upon discovering that churches were not much different from tennis clubs and having been ill-treated, and experienced the normal in-fighting, jealousies, and gossiping that was going on. I could not believe it, and this made me very critical of churches, and saw Christians as very poor examples of our Lord – never looking at myself to see an even poorer example! Only when I had matured a bit and had studied the Word did I begin to realise that we are all sinners saved by grace, and we are all at different stages of this walk in life, did I start overlooking the faults of others and became more critical of my own. He has started refining me in not be judgmental at all and rather to look inwards at my own faults. To work at becoming more Christ like and to pray for others rather that criticizing them.

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

Timothy's selfless concern for the church was a rare one because other leaders were only on the lookout for themselves.

The things that the Lord has taught me in my life is not to be judgemental, regardless of the situation or circumstances. We are to of help and never be a judge.

The Lord has helped purify me in some area's by telling so, provided one keeps their heart open for the voice of the Holy Spirit himself.

The way Jesus Christ cares is what Timothy showed as a true disciple of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.  He really cares about what happened to the other Christians including those who don't know Jesus Christ.  

Pointing a finger at others in some culture especially Christians is a bad omen.  We should remember that God is only and one who will judge us one day. So it would not be good to point fingers just because the other person causes sin.

God is working in each of those who are faithful to Him.  When we really allow Him to change our heart and place faith in the heart, miracles happens in our lives.  We really start to care about what is happening to other faithful Christians and also those who has not come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Savior.

The way Jesus Christ cares is what Timothy showed as a true disciple of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.  He really cares about what happened to the other Christians including those who don't know Jesus Christ.  

Pointing a finger at others in some culture especially Christians is a bad omen.  We should remember that God is only and one who will judge us one day. So it would not be good to point fingers just because the other person causes sin.

God is working in each of those who are faithful to Him.  When we really allow Him to change our heart and place faith in the heart, miracles happens in our lives.  We really start to care about what is happening to other faithful Christians and also those who has not come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Savior.

This is the first century church. The Gospel is VERY new and it takes time to build leaders, selfless leaders at that.

So it is understandable that at that time there wouldn't have been very many selfless leaders.

Today after 2000 years, it still isn't all that easy to find sincere church leaders, although after all this time, many have come and gone.

I was introduced to "serving" selflessly at an early age, through my parents' upbringing and my former Pastor.

My career falls in the category of serving and being concerned about the people around me and I just LOVE to live for Christ.

I am still on a journey even being an octogenarian and I know that God is still molding me and is not finished with me. I love to learn more and more and cherish my Bible and my God.

Just 10 years ago He urged me to go back to college and take a 2 year Bible course, followed by a 2 year leadership course. It has been fenominal.  

Timothy was with Paul in Rome when Paul wrote this letter. He traveled with Paul on his second missionary journey when the church at Philippians was begun.

Paul observed that most believers are too preoccupied with their own needs to spend time working for Christ. We should not let our schedule and concerns crowd out our love and Christian service to others. Christ has refined us to serve others and be concerned of their needs, help were it is necessary.

Timothy was more than just a companion to Paul.  He was a true disciple who could deal with the most sensitive problems of the church.  This is because he had genuine interest in the welfare of the Body of Christ than looking for his own interests.  He was not self absorbed.  He did not have any hidden agenda.

Jesus had to deal with many areas in my life like jealousy, gossip, anger, pride, self righteousness and many more ever since I chose to serve him.  Initially while surrendered my life to Christ my life was a mess and even after I was born again I always looked down upon weaker Christians and wanted to be treated with respect and did most of my service to the Lord to be applauded by men and become popular. 

But thanks to Jesus he did not give up on me, he refined me and rebuked me and discipline me through his word.  Sent right people in my life who imparted to me the undiluted  Word of God.  Though I am not perfect yet I have come a long way from where I have been and all glory to my Lord and savior Jesus Christ.

Timothy was more than just a companion to Paul.  He was a true disciple who could deal with the most sensitive problems of the church.  This is because he had genuine interest in the welfare of the Body of Christ than looking for his own interests.  He was not self absorbed.  He did not have any hidden agenda.

Jesus had to deal with many areas in my life like jealousy, gossip, anger, pride, self righteousness and many more ever since I chose to serve him.  Initially while surrendered my life to Christ my life was a mess and even after I was born again I always looked down upon weaker Christians and wanted to be treated with respect and did most of my service to the Lord to be applauded by men and become popular. 

But thanks to Jesus he did not give up on me, he refined me and rebuked me and discipline me through his word.  Sent right people in my life who imparted to me the undiluted  Word of God.  Though I am not perfect yet I have come a long way from where I have been and all glory to my Lord and savior Jesus Christ.

Timothy's selfless concern was rare among church leaders because he had a genuine "agape" love .... He was like minded as Paul with a genuine love and caring for all . He was unlike other leaders who were only interested in their own welfare and needs

To consider myself ..... Yes Jesus has had to deal with. 4 A's in my life ...... Anger , Pride of Affluence, Arrogance at large and Attitude of judging and complaining

.a.. It is amazing that all the Anger has vanished. I was sooooo short tempered. Holy Spirit has changed me to be patient .

.b... Now I distribute more money than save it .....

c.... I have learnt to think more of others and their spiritual needs as well and am gentle and persuasive.

d... Generally I am accommodative now and don't judge or criticise others but make excuses for their short comings and behaviour

However still a long way to go

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? 

Answer: Because Timothy's love and concern to his ministry is pure and genuine, no hidden agenda, he do it for God's glory and not for self interest and gratitude.

Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others?

Answer: Before I used to blame other people around me for my failures, my mistakes, for not goings things the way I would like it to be.

How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

Answer: God thought me that everything happen for a reason, that everything happen with His permission and consent. That I must not blame anyone for my mistake, failures and disappointment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Paul observed that most believers are too preoccupied with their own needs to spend time working for Christ. We should not let our schedule and concerns crowd out your love and Christian service to others.