JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

TIMOTHY DID NOT THINK OF JUST HIMSELF.HE HAD LOVE FOR PEOPLE,AND WANTED TO BE THERE FOR THEM.THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO GO TO CHURCH TO TRY AND BECOME POPULAR AND GET ON EVERY BOARD THEY CAN GET ON TO CONTROL THE CHURCH.WE SERVE A GOOD GOD,AND GOD IS IN CONTROLL NOT MAN.

I HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH MANY PASTORAL CHANGES IN MY CHURCH.ONE COMES IN OUR CHURCH FOR A SHORT TIME AND THEN LEAVES.I LOOSE MY FOCUS,THINKING WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR CHURCH.WE ALL GRIEVE OVER THESE MANY PASTORS WHICH HAS MOVED ON TO OTHER CHURCHES,FORGETTING GOD IS IN CONTROL.I KNOW I MUST PRAY AND ENCOURAGE THE PEOPLE OF OUR CHURCH THAT GOD WILL SEND THE RIGHT PASTOR FOR OUR CONGREATION.

I HAD TO ASK GOD FOR FORGIVENESS BECAUSE I HAD BAD THOUGHTS,MIXED EMOTIONS THAT WERE OUT OF CONTROL.YES,I WAS IN THE REFINERS FIRE.MY FOCUS ON GOD STRAYED AWAY.THANK GOD FOR OTHER BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN OUR CHURCH THAT LIFT YOU UP.I MUST HELP OTHERS JUST AS THEY HELPED ME.FOCUS ON GOD AND ASK GOD TO HELP US GET THROUGH THIS TRIAL.WE MUST NEVER FORGET GOD IS IN CONTROLL.NEVER DOUBT WHAT GOD CAN DO.WHEN YOU DOUBT GOD ,THEN YOU GIVE SATAN ROOM TO COME IN.WE MUST STAND FIRM,KNOWING GOD IS IN CONTOLL OF EVERYTHING AMEN

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D 2:19-30, Q1- SELFLESS CONCERN.- As Christians i think it is best with us when our Duty becomes natural to us,sincerely, not in pretence.we sometimes like to be Praised for our efforts,unlike Timothy,who just got on with it.Paul trusted Timothy like a father trusts a Son,also Timothy,as Paul put it,I HAVE NONE SO LIKEMINDED-Psalm 55-14. I pray i may walk like them in the love of God! AMEN.

• 2 months later...

TIMOTHY'S LOVE FOR GOD'S PEOPLE WAS GENUINE. HE HUMBLED HIMSELF AND DID THE WORK OF THE KINGDOM WHEN ASKED TO AND WENT WHEREVER THEY NEEDED HIM. HE WAS OBEDIENT AND FAITHFUL. THIS WAS RARE AMONG CHURCH LEADERS THEN AND NOW.TIMOTHY'S MOTHER AND GRANDMOTHER HAD BOTH INFLUENCED HIS LIFE FROM THE TIME HE WAS LITTLE.HE GENUINELY WANTED TO SEE OTHERS SAVED AND THEIR LIVES TRANSFORMED.

THE LORD HAD TO DEAL WITH PRIDEFULNESS , UNFORGIVENESS AND ANGER PROBLEMS. I BLAMED EVERYONE ELSE FOR THE WAY THAT I WAS. I WAS MISTREATED AND REJECTED BY MANY FROM CHILDHOOD EVEN UNTIL NOW, SO I WAS BITTER AND RESENTFUL.ONLY WHE THE LORD SHOWED ME IT WAS ME AND MY ATTITUDE TOWARDS THEM WAS HINDERING ME FROM THE VICTORY I WANTED, IT WAS THEN I STARTED FORGIVING AND LETTING GO OF THE DEEP PAIN AND BITTERNESS IN MY SOUL.NOW CHRIST IS ABLE TO COME IN BY HIS SPIRIT AND HEAL ME OF ALL THAT JUNK I WAS CARRYING ALL MY LIFE.IT SURE WASNT WORTH IT SPENDING SO MANY YEARS HATING THOSE WHO HURT ME AND WANTING TO SEEK REVENGE. IT WAS HURTING ME AND I DIDNT EVEN KNOW IT.

I'M A WORK IN PROGRESS BUT I CAN TRULY SAY THAT I'M A LOT BETTER NOW THAN BEFORE AND I DO CARE FOR OTHERS AND THEIR SOUL SALVATION. I LOVE TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS AND BUILD THEM UP .GOD BLESS.......

• 9 months later...

When I first came off of the streets in 1992 I was in a total surivival mode and everything that I could bring to myself I did. After being born again this continued and, as I grew in the Lord and I became a deacon, I found that not only did I still have a tendency to cater to myself and be concerned with my situations, but I also overlooked what others were going through that caused my issues.

Jesus has shown me that Christianity is about outflowing, giving of all that is within you to others so that they may see Christ in you. It is not about being an introvert and hiding your light under a cover but, it is about shining so that all can see and come to the light. His suffering to glory by giving Himself so that all men might be saved tells me that I must suffer. His ability to live as a man in this world tells me that I can live as He lived, giving my love and compassion to others, so that they might be saved and that I myself will not be a castaway. And yes, He's still working on me.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

Sefless concern is so rare among church leaders because, their concern is so much on public prestige and position. When it comes to selfless concern I refer back to Philippians 2:3, "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves." How this verse strikes my heart, I have spent 3 years preaching in my area and was struck by this verse as if I had never read it before. This verse answers Cain's question "Am I my brother's keeper?" Paul says "YES!" The refining in my life is painful at times, because I have to face my faults, but Oh what a God who never gives up on me!

• 5 months later...
Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

I was a selfish person for many years of my life. Timothy's selfless allows a humbleness and meekness. I became selfless when I had a awakening of how much God loved me-enough to die for me- and my life was transformed. He has refined me in painful ways until I understood that it was only to make me strong in my faith like the refiner's fire Daniel went through. Church leaders must be selfless to hear and communicate with God and to his congreation. Now I will do anything for I do not work for anyone but for my God. I praise God through all circumstances and my humility comes from and the glory goes to the Lord.

• 5 months later...

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders?

Timothy's selfless concern was so rare among church leaders because unlike other leaders he refused to put his own self interest before that of other people. Timothy was genuinely concerned about the spiritual, social and economic well-being of others. He demonstrated agape love which touched Paul and caused him to use Timothy as one who can be trusted in the faith.

Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others?

Jesus has helped me to see the needy as persons who I can genuinely love and help instead of always focusing only on myself. I now see the hurt and pain of those who are poverty stricken, spiritually depraved and those who are babes in Christ and are in need of feeding from the Word of God.

How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

I'm finding ways in which I can be a blessing in the Body of Christ. And with the help of the Lord I am bringing relief and guidance to some.

• 2 weeks later...

much like today, there is a me-ology going around.people like to be pampered in the high places, best seats, best foods, always first in line kinda thing. even jesus warned them and us about the first shall be last.so i don't think timothy had that look at me mentality.when jesus deals with me, it is usually over expectations of others. are they doing enough, are they doing it right kinda thing.and when my eyes are of him, it seems like a flood of thoughts rush in. thats how i find i'm in the wrong place in my mind and god wants me to humbly give all these thoughts to him.

• 1 month later...

Timothy's selfless concern was so rare among church leaders because of human ego. Church leadership then and now has a problem with selfish egotism.

Currently, God has used a recent study of The Epistle of James, the conviction of the Holy Spirit and several active ministries to continue to work on the selfishness in my life. I can truly say that my life is increasingly becoming more and more focused on the spiritual and physical needs of others than my own. And I am truly enjoying and delighting in ministering to others.

• 6 months later...

Timothy's concern is so rare among church leaders for two reasons: 1.) We train pastors and ministers to be like professionals who have authority and command, instead of finding people who are gifted by the Lord and how have love and compassion. 2.) We put so much pressure on our leaders to perform - to grow the church, to start great programs, and to teach eloquently every Sunday. No wonder they have no desire or time to be compassionate and loving.

As you might judge, I am a very critical person. Jesus has helped me to see that I don't need to be in leadership. I'm one of those people who shouldn't be in charge because I am a very demanding person, and I let things go to my head. I am better situated as a team player who has a good influence, but is not in charge of other people.

I have struggled through many years of job-hunting and been unsuccessful at trying to find leadership roles. Now that I've gone through some self-evaluation process, and have agonized over lost income and risking the mortgage, I'm beginning to see where I fit into the leadership/servant spectrum. Someday, I might be able to lead but not until the Lord sees fit. And even if not, I am happy with that.

WE are human and most have an agenda (yes, even Christians). We sometimes want to make ourselves seem more important than we are. I truly have had a continuing revelation from Jesus about my thoughts and behavior toward others. I try to put myself in their place and ask WWJD. I will be striving to be like him until he comes back but he has begun this good work in me and I will try to do all I can to become like him until the day he returns for me.

I can't speak for everyone in my church but it appears people have their own agenda.

Jesus is still working on me as I don't do as much as I could. I am trying to love others as Christ did and that is a job in itself. He is refining me everyday as I realize "we" are all covered by the same blood.

• 3 months later...

The other leaders were not mature in Christ, they had ulterior motives that hadn't been resolved through Christ's work in them. For myself, I need to be busier, thinking of what I can do for God. Our last revival made me see that I need to support the church and preacher with my attendance on Sunday and Wednesday nights.

• 3 months later...

Timothy selfless concern is so rare among church leaders today. I would say is because everyone wants to be first and whole a position as a church leader without realing loving and honoring God, in order for a church leader to be a leader for God, they have to be willing to have the same love as Jesus had for us , when He did not come down off the cross. Timothy had some what that kind of love for the Philippians church same as Paul did and because they were like-minded as Paul put it like-minded to the point he had great concern and love for others, it is impossiable to do anything with great concern without the Love of Jesus in you. Timothy name "One who Honors God" states that a good church leader know that God is in charge and they are His instuments to do His will.

When you find someone pointing fingers at another I would say that they are looking for an excuse for something they did not do, I tell the youth in Baptist Training Union where God has placed me for now , that when we point a finger at someone else their is two fingers pointing back at us, and that pointing fingers is a way to find a way out of something left undone by us a cop- out.

The thing that Jesus has to deal with in my life that has helped me to become genuinely selfless . About three months a go I was having a problem with humility and being humble so Jesus introduced two youth into my life and home, because they did not have a place to stay, even tho they are my third cousins i could not turn them away and say no because i had been asking the Lord to give me more patient, well He has in dealing with a (11) eleven year old boy and a (12) twelve year old girl that had been in several different homes it has given made me more humble and see things with a like-minded as Jesus did out of Love for me (Us). Iam closer each day as God continue to work in my life until He says my course is finished here on this earth.

• 6 months later...

Timothy had been mentored well by Paul later on and by his mother and grandmother. Many of the other church leaders were new believers and were motivated by self interest, due to psychological needs, as Pastor Wilson points out.

Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others?

My life was out of balance in my early Christian walk, being overly concerned with others...which is codependency, resulting in total burnout and fatigue! The Lord wasn't leading in that, I was serving in the flesh. After a number of years of 12 step work, and of spiritual deliverance several years ago, I feel more sound and balanced. I can pray now for others out of healthy concern, but without taking on every burden and heartache. There was a lady who has since passed away who had severe arthritis, and my body ached when I prayed for her...not good and not necessary. So in my case, he's had to minimize my over concern to a more healthy place. This has helped me to check in with Him first and to allow Him to lead me in all things.

Through years of marital struggles, losses, such as our business, home, and car. Two corrupt pastors/churches which severely tried and tested our family, homelessness, and being stripped to the bone financially. He's refined me to be generous, by having learned what it's like to have nothing to eat or money to spend, no car and having to depend on others transportation. He's been refining me emotionally, as mentioned above. He's been refining me spiritually through tests of faith and perserverence and long years of waiting in the wilderness. He's still at work and I thank Him that I'm not what I used to be, but I'm not yet what I'm going to be! I've learned that He's in control of all things, and I'm not and so don't try to run the universe any longer. He's got it all covered and He's responsible for things, so I can respond as He leads but am not responsible for others.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2:19-21)

Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders?

Yes, the other church leaders were too preoccupied with their own personal needs. Paul mentions that there was no one else that he could send with the same confidence who would unselfishly care for the spiritual condition of the Philippians. Concerning my own life; I had to overcome a fear of rejection, and a complete lack of confidence. Although I

• 4 months later...

Paul had a lot of experience with church leaders and said "I have no one else like him" Timothy has a special gift of taking a genuine interest in others welfare.

Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)

I am a work in progress; that is for sure! Many years of my life were spent trying to succeed in the world. A neck injury ended my career and athletic abilities, but opened my eyes to see my life's purpose and function in different light. I realized that my remaining time will be spent working in all things I do for God. I am far from selfless, but with God's help, I am working on it.

• 3 months later...

Where others were trying to promote or further their own interest Tinothy's willingness to surrender to God - and submit to the authority of those who were leaders appointed by God differentiated him from those who did whatever they did with the intent to draw attemtion to themslves. . .

Gaining an understanding of who I really am in the will and plan of God as well as who God is to me, has givin me enough security in myself allowing me to be earnest in my service to God glorifying Him in all that I attempt to do - without the fear of being overlooked or the need to be recognized for what I do. . .

God has through the use of chastizement been able to refine me - and at other time by the leading of His Word and Holy Spirit brought about improvements in my walk with Him and service to Him. . .

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Timothy took care for others.

Many church leaders are just power hungry.

My country has a rich tradition of schisms.

If Dutch pastors can't have it their way, they just found a new church.

Others are just there for the money.

Last year there was a pastor who took tithes and special donations- and moved to Kenia.

Jesus had to make me realize that He isn't Santaclaus who has to give me a nice life on earth.

He also had to make me realize that hypocrite gereformeerden are no excuse not to believe anymore.

And many other things.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

If they are rare among church leaders, it would be because they do not have a genuine interest in their welfare, because they are more concerned about self instead of putting those of the Messiah first, circumcised hearts, allowing them to have a genuine love for their brother.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Philippians 2:19-21
Q). Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders?
A). Timothy takes a genuine interest in the church's welfare. He isn't self-absorbed. He doesn't have a hidden agenda. Others are trying to further their own interests.
#
Q). Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others?
A). My self-centered attitude and behaviors have caused undesirable problems in my life.
#
Q). How has he refined you? (Of course, he is still at work in us!)
A). He is refining me by allowing me to learn from experience how much I must rely on Him and His will above my personal desires

• 5 months later...

Q1. (2:19-21) Why was Timothy's selfless concern so rare among church leaders? Rather than pointing the finger at others in your church, consider yourself. What things has Jesus had to deal with in your life that has helped you to become genuinely selfless and focused on the concerns of others? How has he refined you?

Timothy's selfless concern is rare, so rare in fact that Paul writes "For everyone looks after his own interests instead of that of Christ ."Paul had a lot of experience with people and had broken away from Barnabas because of John Mark who had deserted them in Pomphylia. (Acts 15.37) Paul was not pleased with mark's desertion as he no doubt felt that Mark was putting his interests ahead of Jesus Christ. The notes suggest that there is deep within us a neediness to be loved and accepted . This is accompanied by a desire for power and control. As Shakespeare writes "The evil that man do lives after them the good is oft interred with there bones." (Act 3.2) Most of us are not mature enough in our walk with Jesus to allow him to work thoroughly and completely in us in a way that transforms us completely into a Jesus walk.

Over the centuries those who have followed in the footsteps of Timothy have been called saints, holy ones set apart for dedication to the work of Christ

My life has been hampered by a need for achievement- a desire for recognition and a lack of humility. This has been a thorn in my flesh.

Timothy's humility and selfness is so rare because most people put themselves ahead of Christ. In so doing the become selfish and indulgent, complaining of everything. Paul describes Timothy as a model of humility, a standard that most people are unable to attain.

• 1 year later...

Timothy’s selfless concern was so rare among church leaders because he had the right heart. There probably weren’t very many leaders then but it would seem like those that were leaders were trying to further their cause and not that of Jesus Christ.

Jesus had to deal with my money matters in my life and has helped me to be selfless and focused on the concerns of others. He has given me a genuine interest in the Bible and in doing that he has refined me.