JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

(2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?          

My first spiritual mentor was my mother.  Even though, at that time I did not look at her as being a mentor but someone that saw to it that we went to church and bible study.  She did not send us but took us. I learnt the Word of God thru the teaching of my Pastor.  It was many years later that I really started applying God's Word in my life.  More than ever, the Pastor is someone that needs his sheep alongside him.  Yes I have several young ladies in my church that I mentor.  Also, I have a group of young men in my neighborhood that I try to talk to and I am always talking to family members that do not have the Lord in their lives.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

I have had many senior men and women come along side to help me along in my spiritual walk. 

I also position myself ​to be a mentor to those who can benefit from my experiences.

Q2. (2:22)

Q. Who has come alongside you to teach you?

A. The Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit!

Q. What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them?

A. David Bawa

Q. Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

A. Had one but he moved and we have no contact for now. What a shame. Should look for another opportunity.

Shalom Saints by Faith in Messiah.

Greetings,

1. I would say as a child my adoptive parents mentored me to the best of their ability in the knowledge they knew regarding the Catholic Church.

I was taught to love the Savior and Father with all my heart soul and mind in sincerity and truth.

As I matured, and was married, I had five believers come into my path to help me come to the knowledge of Truth. From there I was taught by the Holy Spirit, in His Word and also my husband.Leading me to repentance, asking and giving forgiveness confessing my faults one to another, being a doer of the Word not a hearer only deceiving my own self.

2. I feel in our Assembly, the mature men should be more involved with the situations of people's lives who are discouraged. That calls should be made to uphold, encourage those who are struggling, also with health issues, or attitude wise.

3. Yes my husband and I are mentors to women and men who are in prison. When they have situations health, spiritual issues we go to the Word to counsel them. Also any woman, men who Yah brings into our path we mentor as well. Praise Yah for the counsel He gives us to share with those that are in need, spiritually, mentally and financially. HalleluYah.

Have a blessed week,

With much love

FAITH

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader 

in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person

or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter 

with a mother"?

1. My deceased Pastor, a Pastor from another church and her husband were

very good at helping me in the Lord.

1. My cousin and her husband,an Evangelist in my church and my husband.

1. My two granddaughter’s mother and sometimes my son’s cousin along

with others that I talk to.When I see someone that needs mentoring or

advice given to them, I do what I can. Sometimes it is short and then

it might be long.

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader 

in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person

or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter 

with a mother"?

1. My deceased Pastor, a Pastor from another church and her husband were

very good at helping me in the Lord.

1. My cousin and her husband,an Evangelist in my church and my husband.

1. My two granddaughter’s mother and sometimes my son’s cousin along

with others that I talk to.When I see someone that needs mentoring or

advice given to them, I do what I can. Sometimes it is short and then

it might be long.

My past pastor taught me a lot regarding the ministry. I would rather not comment on the leaders in the church. There are two people I am a mentor to that is the by I try to walk right. I can't teach them anything if I am not walking right myself.

Q2. (2:22) 

Who has come alongside you to teach you? 

What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them? 

Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

I have no experience of the above and can therefore not comment.

I must say I would have loved to have had a mentor in my youth, but it was not to be.

Our Lord had planned a different route for me becoming a believer very late in life. 

The Church leaders today can be seen as the disaster of Christianity.  They do not bring people to God, but are preying on them, and use them as milking cows.  Church leaders are mostly a kind of entrepreneurs under the coat of Christianity.  I have not seen any worthy church leader in my life.  My leader is Jesus Christ himself, and the Word of God is my light of life.

Today, the worst thing is to follow a Church leader like a dumb sheep because one would not like to learn the Word of God for himself.  The larger is the church, the more corrupted Church leaders it has.  I do not want to name those Christian churches because the server of this site may not have the capacity to hold all of their names.

Jesus said:

Joh 10:11  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Joh 10:12  But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

Joh 10:13  The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

Joh 10:14  I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Joh 10:15  As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Therefore, it is very much hopeless to follow a church leader if one does not want to live and abide by the Word of God and His commandments.

What did Jesus say to this generation?

Rev 18:4  And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Rev 18:5  For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand. 

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

No one has come alongside to teach me, only the Lord himself.

I have no idea which potential leader in our church needs someone to come alongside them.

I have only my family to mentor. 

My father had a strong faith. Going through WWII with a young family, I have dozens of examples of getting us through this war unscathed, because of his strong faith.

Then I had a Pastor, mentor, Dr. William Thomas, a Swiss mentor and co-founder of the faculty of theology in Brussels. I accompanied him many times to the lectures with his wife.

Then I went on to Switzerland and was mentored by the Director of the Methodist Hospital where I was a student nurse.

In the past 25 years I was mentored by my pastor in Ontario and now in Winnipeg.

.It has been an ongoing journey.

Our church builds leaders and I would say that we have committed leaders and they are building them from the ground up.

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?''

When I was young, my parents were and still are my best mentors especially my mom. However, as I grew older I studied the Bible on my own and also taking Bible studies through correspondence. With prayers everything comes in place. Church members like my former Senior Pastor, late Rev. Poden Pedrus was another mentor that I cannot forget his wisdom and knowledge he shared with me.

But the best mentor of all is Christ Jesus through his own words in the Bible.  By reading the Bible and letting our Holy Spirit works in our special heart, then we faithfully increase His knowledge and wisdom within us.

And Dr, Ralph through his emails is what also contributes to the person that I am today.  Thank you all.

Just as a skilled workman trains an apprentice, Paul was preparing Timothy to carry on the ministry in his absence.  

My Senior Pastor has been mentoring me in the ministry and I have also been imparting this me my follow brothers in Church for leadership growth.

Thanks to Jesus, I am blessed to have been under some really awesome people who sowed the seed of the gospel and prayed for me a result of what I am in the Lord today.  God bless our Pastor who will give up his life but not dilute Gods Word, he also loves us like a parent and checks on our spiritual growth.  I am also blessed to have wonderful brothers and sisters in our church family who challenge me daily in my walk with Christ.   Thanks you Jesus for helping me grow.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you?

Answer: Actually nobody came alongside me to teach me...but one thing I am sure, the Lord taught me.

What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them?

Answer: Right now I am here in middle east and I am still praying that God will give me a church where I can worship him.

Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

Answer: No.

• 2 weeks later...

The holy spirit taught me through our pastors,just as a skilled workman trains an apprentice, Paul was preparing Timothy to carry on the ministry in his absence. Some of our deacons are being trained, apprenticing for God’s work?

We have up coming youth under mentorship who still needs guidance and spiritual growth

• 9 months later...
On 4/15/2005 at 9:28 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I've had my Uncle and Dad bring me to the Lord, tech me certain things. Mostly the holy spirt,  leading me to ministries to watch and listen to and learn.

I try to mentor my boys praying that what I say  they are getting, also a friend, who loves to hear me tell her about Jesus.

• 8 months later...
On 4/15/2005 at 6:28 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Through the years, I have had a few women who have been a mentor to me.  Years ago when I was going through some very serious personal and family issues my pastor's wife was a very helpful mentor to pour what she had learned from the Lord into my life.  She also was constantly pointing me back to Jesus and the word of God to work through my struggles, yet at the same time being there for me.

More recently, I have another Godly woman as my mentor.  We actually learn much from each other but she has helped me out of her personal Godly reservoir (her life experiences with Jesus including nuggets from the Word of God, help from other sisters and brothers in the Lord, help from Christian authors, pastors, and etc.).  She and her husband have been there for me as I have walked through many a trial in the last 6 or so years.

I was privileged to have been one of several mentors of my friend that recently passed away and am still helping to mentor another woman through Bible studies as well as spending time with her.  It is a privilege and honor to be a mentor and yet it is a huge responsibility before the Lord.  I am so glad I can trust Him to speak through me into the life of another.  I can also trust Him that at times when I get it wrong, He is there to cover for it and either lets me clarify it with her or when that is not possible, I can trust Him to clarify it Himself through the Word or through another person.  No one gets it right all the time when we are coming along side another, but we have a perfectly wonderful God who works all things well in the tapestry of life for each of us who love Him and are called according to his purposes (Romans 8:28). I am so grateful for His grace that makes Him willing to work through flawed every day people as He always has.

• 4 years later...

Sadly, no one mentored me – I grew up and remain surrounded by secular people. Though I prayed earnestly for many years for a mentor, I never got one and now, as a middle-age woman, it’s probably too late! The Holy Spirit is my mentor. Books written by long-dead Christians as well as information written by quite-alive Christians, such as Pastor Ralph, are my “mentors.” I find it amazing, to be honest, that I can pick up a book written in the late-19thC, for example, and find in it the answers to question I have or comfort in a difficult situation.

As I read through the responses, I thought about what mentoring entails. Is parenting mentoring? Are conversations with young women or any younger person mentoring? Is evangelism mentoring? I would think that mentoring has to be a purposeful, deliberate taking on of the role of being someone's consistent spiritual advisor; if this is a correct definition, I am not mentoring anyone.

Also, is mentoring a gift, something like the gift of evangelism? Are some people called to be mentors?

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"

(2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you - Alongside does not JUST limit to a Spiritual Father-Son; Mother-daughter" relationship. Alongside means more than this - typically refers to a form of discipleship where individuals come alongside those in need to offer support, encouragement, and assistance. The emphasis is on walking with people through life's challenges and providing practical and spiritual help. Alongside can be both formal and informal, and it often involves personal relationships and mentorship.

Potential people in the Church needed for "Alongsider":

• Laborers who are doing grass root ministry; 
  • Disciples are who are required to be established in building a strong foundation in their walk with God (Galatians 2:6-7)- usually involved in disciple-making, discipleship 
  • Leaders who needed to be equipped for the work of God's service (Ephesians 4:12)

A person whom I "disciple, come alongside, mentor" - is because want to see spiritual multiplication/spiritual generations be fulfilled in the life of my physical son, and physical daughter (2 Timothy 2:2) - where we (father-son; father-daughter) as a team, collaborate in the campus ministry - reaching out to the "nations" - international students and region beyond (2 Corinthians 10:15-16)