JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SINCE I GOT SAVED SEVEN YEARS AGO, I CAN HONESTLY SAY THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE ONE WHO HAS BEEN MENTORING ME. BECAUSE OF MY HUSBAND'S CAREER AND MILITARY DUTIES WE MOVE A LOT. AS A RESULT, I'VE NEVER REALLY BEEN ABLE TO FORM ANY KIND OF MENTORING RELATIONSHIP WITH ANY OF THE LADIES AT CHURCH.THEY'RE JUST FRIENDS. I DESPERATELY WANTED A MENTOR AT CHURCH, I WANTED SOMEONE TO TEACH ME, BE THERE FOR ME AND HOLD MY HANDS WHEN TOUGH TIMES CAME, BUT NO ONE WAS REALLY THERE FOR ME SO I HELD ON TIGHTLY TO THE LORD AND HE STARTED TEACHING ME HIMSELF. I GIVE HIM ALL THE GLORY.

I SUSPECT THE PASTOR'S WIFE NEEDS A LOT OF ENCOURAGEMENT AND TO HAVE SOMEONE COME ALONGSIDE HER AND HELP HER IN HER MINISTRY DUTIES.SHE WANTS TO START A LADIES PRAYER GROUP SOON AND NEEDS SOME INPUT ABD IDEAS AS TO WHAT TO DO.

I'M NOT MENTORING ANYONE AT CHURCH. I DO HAVE A FIFTEEN YEAR OLD SON WHO I'M HOMESCHOOLING AND AN UNSAVED SPOUSE AND SO I TRY TO LIVE OUT THE GOSPEL DAILY BEFORE THEM AS BEST AS I CAN, AND WHEN I MISS THE MARK, REPENT AND MOVE ON...GOD BLESS......

• 8 months later...

There are several women at our current church who are great examples, and also women who work with a medical mission that I've gone on--and am going again in a few weeks! They've taught me a lot about being open to where God' is leading and being willing to be obedient to Him.

There are several people at my current job that are "cautiously interested" in the Lord. I try to set an example, answer questions and bring God into the conversation when possible, trying to remember that I'm only the "earthen pot", not the cause of anyone else's salvation. I can bring them the news; it's God's job to convict them!

• 2 weeks later...

Many persons have worked with me since I came to the Lord but none as close as the Holy Ghost. Everyone needs someone to work with them when they come to the Lord or else they will fall into many obstacles set forth by the Adversary. Leadership skills can best be developed when you lead by example, with Christ being the One we all should emulate. I work with many people as a deacon, teacher and supervisor of our half way house. Personally I try to be as an older brother in the Lord. It works for most and I try to give equal time to all as all have special needs. The future leaders seem to require less such guidance.

• 7 months later...
Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

My pastors and Christian women in my church have enabled me to reach out to families in need as in no transportation and minister to them as well as they to me.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you?

I have not had anyone to come alongside directly to teach me in the things of the faith, it has happened as I drew from others matured in the faith.

What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them?

Our children are all potential leaders and need to have someone come alongside them to guide them in matters of spiritual and Christian living.

Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

I am mentoring someone and do plan to continue taking on others with the help of the Holy Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...
Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you? What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them? Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

i didn't have this someone. sometimes this happens in big churches. but one thing i did was to get alone and open my bible and i prayed" lord, i know things about you, but i don't know you. please come be my teacher" and he did. then he lead me to a bookstore and the first two guys i never even heard of before,warren weirsbe and j. vernon magee, bought their books.i never looked back after that. everyone needs someone whether on top or on the bottom.you know i think its important to be there for everyone, but we don't want to lord over them.

• 1 month later...

My father, Rev. William R. Topping, has had the greatest influence in the development of my Christian life and my development as a Pastor. I am very grateful for his love, interest, and attention concerning my spiritual life.

I am mentoring my own children as well as several young men and women in what it means to be a Christian as well as what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...

The closest I have come to having a true mentor was when I was in Bible School, so many years ago. There were several great role models and opportunities to learn about God. But since then, I can't really name a specific mentor, but perhaps an accountability partner or two. Praise God for Bible School!

As a Youth Leader, I had the pleasure and responsibility to mentor many young boys and am overjoyed that some of them have been influenced by my teaching and example. (One even calls me 'father' - can you believe that??)

I am not mentoring anyone at the time, except for my young daughter not even 1 year old, yet. I look forward to the days when we can talk about Jesus and see Him at work in our lives together. So many families are raising their kids without speaking to them about Jesus and these kids are left to fend for themselves. It's a sorry example for how the parents don't have enough confidence in their faith to share it with their own kids. Pray that Jesus will find ways to teach parent about their responsibility and privilege to lead (not force!!) their children to Christ.

• 3 months later...

There have been (and are) many women who have been mentors to me. Without their examples I would not be where I am today. I teach the 6 to 8 year olds in Sunday school class, one who is grandaughter. It's important to teach them about Jesus and his love at an early age, it's a foundation that they won't ever forget.

• 3 months later...

My grandmother , Mothers of the Church and my Pastor. The youth dept. leaders ,I say this because it gets hard some time dealing with our youth and if that leader do not have someone alongside them missed opportunity are not handled as the will of God. Yes I have both in home and out side of home .

• 5 months later...

Sue D -- What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them?

One of the responses I've read -- everyone in a church is a potential leader -- Yes -- totally agree. However I'm also concerned that there are churches that seem to ignore the Biblical qualifications for pastors / deacons. Being the husband of one wife is one of the first listed. That would signify a Man in the role of pastor / deacons. Many churches have women pastors -- why is this? Why are women who are obviously good speakers, not being encouraged to be women's Bible study teachers. Beth Moore is a great example of a gifted Bible teacher with Only women. Bible says that women are not to be put in a position to usurp authority over a man/men. We are in a 'cultural' time when women are told 'go for it' -- women today are encouraged to get into the same occupations that men are in. There are Very talented women in high places in the business world -- in All occupations. But when it comes to church positions, the Bible gives us clear directions -- so as we have opportunity to mentor a young person -- let's make sure we give Biblical mentoring. :)

• 2 weeks later...

What a fun question to think about and one which brings such gratitude for all who have come alongside me to mentor me! First, Anne who prayed me into the kingdom and shared Christ with me, then invited me to Bible Study. Then Hazel, who was a spiritual Mother in the Lord, who taught me how to pray, and who prayed with me and for me. Then the leaders at our first church, who trained me to first lead Bible studies, then trained me to train and mentor other leaders, then to write Bible study lessons. The women in my Christian 12 step group who came alongside me as the Lord healed me from the traumas and violence from my growing up years, and who mentored me in loving acceptance for others, and compassion for the wounded. My Pastor of our church now, is an example and a mentor.

I've mentored our children and still do. I'm mentoring a sister in Christ who is floundering, encouraging her with the encouragement I've received in the past for the same issues. The book I'm writing is a mentoring book.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2:22)

Who has come alongside you to teach you?

My pastor has been most helpful in helping me understand the Word. Not only, through his Sunday sermons, but also during his weekly Bible studies.

I have not noticed any potential leader needing a spiritual mentor.

Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?

Yes, my youngest son.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (2:22) Who has come alongside you to teach you?

Many people have been instrumental in helping me along the way........my Dad, my high school football coach, my church pastor when I was in dental school in Gainesville, Florida, my wife, my brother, and now especially my Sunday School class.

I am not sure, but I think we all need someone to come alongside each of us. We need Christian brothers and sisters to share with and support us.

Yes.

• 3 months later...

There are many that have gone on to be with the Lord which include three former pastors that have also gone on from labor to reward. . .

Within the church that I am committed is a fairly young church when compared to others in the area that have been functioning successfully for so many years - so, as such, there are several potential leaders that are presently experiencing training that will result in them become great leaders for the Lord's Church. . .

B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As a child, my Grandparents were a major influence in my life. I was brought up in a domestic violence situation, and my Grandparents demonstrated and taught me how to love God, how to pray in faith without ceasing, and how to serve the Lord with all of my heart, mind, and soul.

A potential leader that needs someone to come alongside them in the church is a young lady who has taken on a major children ministry.

Yes, there is a young lady whom I am currently mentoring.

• 1 year later...

2a)Ralph Wilson spoke at my church on psalms &after this I felt prompted to study Jesuswalk studies starting with James. I grew in my understanding of scripture and relationship with Jesus.My earthly Christian father &guide leader,paved the way for my commitment to Christ, owe much to them. Sue & Derek “adopted” me &kepy me close to the Lord. In isolated situation now&I seek daily wisdom,strength &guidance from the Lord and scripture.

B)In ministry always looking out for people blessed with many gifts& suitable character emerging for leadership &seek to encourage these.

C) New Christians vulnerable to evil attack, try to keep close contact with these folk especially. :D

• 7 months later...

I do not have a particular earthly person who I can call a spiritual mentor. However, I attend a Bible College and I have several teachers who teach others and me about God. I do not know which leader in my church needs someone to go alongside them, however, I am quite sure there are some. Every now and then, I talk to two co-workers about spiritual things; other than that, I do not have a specific person that I mentor.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 2:22
Q). Who has come alongside you to teach you?
A). various individuals have collectively helped to mold me.
#
Q). What potential leader in your church needs someone to come alongside them?
A). I am a potential leader who needs to cooperate with others who would like to help me.
#
Q). Do you have a person or two that you are mentoring "as a son with a father" or "a daughter with a mother"?
A). I don't have one or two people that I mentor. I only have friends that I share with.

• 5 months later...

There have been many. My brother stands out. As well as several of the professors at AST in Halifax , Nova Scotia, Canada.

Again there are several, a college girl who I hope will become a leader in the church, and several young men.

Yes

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been blessed by godly mentors.  First, my own mother mentored me in domestic and spiritual things.  In high school, youth group leaders mentored me in my calling.  Throughout the years, God has brought godly women in my path to give me godly wisdom and support.

God has used me to mentor my children at various stages in spiritual and practical things.  God has used me to mentor some young people at church or in volunteer work in the schools.  I have provided support for my nieces and nephews when they have entered a new career or started a family.

Right now I am working with international adult students, teaching them conversational English.  The Lord is using me to mentor a few of them as they grow in their relationship with Christ.  I think I have been blessed more than they have! Such a rich bond!

• 1 year later...