JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Upward Call of God

Q2. (3:14) What is it like to be called upwards by God? Have you ever experienced this? What causes God's call to become dim in our hearing? How can we renew our hearing of his call? What is the content or specifics of this message or summons or call?

Upward call by God to us is call to accept Christ and to keep on track without going back until we reach the heavenly home. A call for us to remain steadfast in the faith.

Yes.

Sometimes we are distracted by so much around us (such as our job/ business and other worldily cares)that we fail to hear God.

We can do so by prayerfully asking God to give us the grace to be still from time to time at, especially our quiet time and Bible meditations.

The call (after that for salvation) can be that prompting usto keep going without slowing down or some specific assignments to carry message to someone.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (3:14) 

What is it like to be called upwards by God? 

Have you ever experienced this? 

What causes God's call to become dim in our hearing? 

How can we renew our hearing of His call? 

What is the content or specifics of this message or summons or call?

Like being “up in the clouds” - a most wonderful feeling; one that changed my life, and brought me out of darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9),

The busyness of daily life dims our hearing. This is a warning sign to get back into the Word. 

The upward call of God in Christ Jesus includes all the purposes that God had in mind in saving us. 

It includes salvation, conformity to Christ, joint-heirship with Him, a home in heaven, and numberless other spiritual blessings.

What motivates us is to hear the Lord’s own “Well done!”, and the crown of righteousness we will be awarded on that Day. 

We read in 1 Corinthians 2:9: “However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.”

It is a special call on your life through Jesus Christ for salvation. It is the prize promised by God's Heavenly call in Christ Jesus. To be called by God to receive your big prize because you never gave up in running the race. You ran the race all the way to the end. It becomes dim in our hearing because sometimes we feel we have a lots of time to answer God, and sometimes we feel it's not important. We can renew our hearing through prayer and studying the Bible. If you earnestly ask God to help us, He will strengthen us to be able to run the race to the end. The prize is the fullness and complete gaining of Christ Jesus.

Q2. (3:14) What is it like to be called upwards by God? Have you ever experienced this? What causes God's call to become dim in our hearing? How can we renew our hearing of his call? What is the content or specifics of this message or summons or call?

To be called by God as a witness for Christ is a call that is beyond honorable, but a hard call to accomplish without the help of the Holy Spirit. Just knowing that you are called upward by God is indeed an honor.

I have experienced this because God has chose me above all people to come to the saving experience of his salvation and mercy for us.

God's call can become dim in hearing because we may have persons in our life we need to forgive, even a hidden sin or habit that needs removal. These things keep our eyes from focusing totally on Christ.

Renewing our hearing of his call can be through prayer, fasting and forgiveness. Making our bodies slaves for us helps conquer those hidden things we think we need to survive in the mental and physical state.

The specifics of the summons of God's call for us is to realize what Christ has accomplished for us. To submit our lives to him so he can prune and trim those things in our lives that hamper us from serving him.    

God our Heavenly Father is yearning for the return of His prodigal sons and daughters (mankind which had chosen to listen to the flattery of Satan and fell into sin); He has sent His only Son to call them to repent and return to their heavenly home.  The heavenward call is the Gospel of Jesus Christ which offer salvation to all men and women who repent and believe in Him.

I have only experienced that call since I recognised and admitted my violation to God’s commandments.  Otherwise, I might be a good Christian but always live a sinful life as many other non-believers.

Many Christians believe that by doing good work, spending time in raising fund for charity, welcoming and accepting pagan believers as their own brothers and sisters, breaking down the walls that separate Christian faith and pagan faith, and performing miracles or supernatural signs, are the ways of securing their places in heaven. Unfortunately that is the sweet teaching of Satan in the Christian churches.  It is the same kind of lie that he has taught Eve and Adam:

Gen 3:4  And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

Gen 3:5  For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Jesus Christ has warned us:

Mat 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Mat 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

God’s Ten Commandments carry the seal of His perpetual covenant.  Anyone who breaks God’s commandments does not do the will of God.

Exo 31:16  Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

There are actually some billions of Christian in the world, but how many of them are keeping God’s commandments?

The fruits of not keeping God’s commandments can be seen in every Christian family.  It is an adulterous and sinful generation as Jesus Christ said:

Mar 8:38  Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

That is the cause which prevents humanity from listening and understanding the Word of God.  Though the Good News of Jesus Christ has been preached to the four corners of the world but it does not mean mankind has taken a step forward to repentance.  In contrary many are joyfully walking on the highway to the total destruction.

Mat 7:13  Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Mat 7:14  Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Mat 7:15  Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Indeed, we are having plenty of false prophets in the Christian churches, so Jesus Christ has added:

Luk 18:8  I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

The remedy for anyone who wants to return to God is true repentance. That person must deny the sinful way of life.  Christ followers must abide to God’s commandments.  If the Christian world continues to claim that it is save by faith as a reason to discard God’s commandments then it is surely running straight into the lake of fire that has been prepared for Satan and his servant the false prophet.

Rev 20:10  And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Did Jesus bless all who preach the Gospel?  No, His blessing is only for those who teach people to obey to God’s commandments and keep them.

Mat 5:19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The call of God is always in the word “REPENT”; in the New Testament this call was first pronounced by John the Baptist and then, continued by Jesus Christ.

Mat 3:1  In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,

Mat 3:2  And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mat 3:3  For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mat 4:17  From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Let those who want to follow Jesus Christ repent and keep God’s commandments.

Dear Saints by Faith in Messiah,

GREETINGS,

1. It is a privilege to be called and know what purpose you are to do for Yah's bidding and that is to be all that Yahshua is.

2. Yes His calling to us was to sell all and travel and preach the Word of Truth. In doing so what we sowed, REPENTANCE- Truth, we reaped Truth, the names of the Father and Son. God is a title not His name, His name is Yahweh. Sons name is Yahshua, there was no" J" till the 1500's. What was He called before that? In Acts when Paul wad knocked off his horse, the Savior spoke from the heavens in the Hebrew tongue Scripture says, Jesus is a latinized Greek name, so is the scripture wrong in saying He spoke in the Hebrew Tongue? If you look for other languages when they translate it they speak the Greek, of Aramaic name, or is only here that they don't make the right translation? Makes you wonder why?

Our calling is to live a life in Messiah that means come out of the world, die to the flesh, count the things of the world to be a loss to you.

3. Yah's call becomes dim when we do not accept the convictions of the Holy Spirit and we turn away by being disobedient. When we get caught up in life and too busy to study the Word or listen to what He has to say, we become deaf of hearing.

4. We can renew our call by being attentive to the still small voice. By studying the Word having an intimate relationship with Him, know Him so we can be like Him.

5. The specifics is to know Messiah and learn to be like Him.

Many Blessings,

Shalom

FAITH

Q2. (3:14) What is it like to be called upwards by God? Have you ever 

experienced this? What causes God's call to become dim in our hearing? 

How can we renew our hearing of his call? What is the content or 

specifics of this message or summons or call?

1. To get a prize or wreath awarded not just to the winner, but to all 

who finish the race, an endurance race more than a sprint.To receive the 

crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award 

to me on that day -- and not only to me, but also to all who have longed 

for his appearing.(2 Timothy 4:7-8) To be in a good relationship with him 

and earnestly do his will.

1. Yes!

1. I believe disobedience.

1. We need to submit to the full and complete gaining of Christ, for whose 

sake everything else will be counted loss.Repent and be rededicated to 

Christ as his christian child.

1. The calling or summons is the one that occurs at the end of the race.

Remember the greatest reward is to know fully, and so to be in perfect 

fellowship with Christ.We need to discipline ourselves to receive the 

greatest prize of which is knowing Christ.

Yes I have received the upward call of Christ and What I've learned is that with each call Comes responsibility...to do what He asks of us..but We know that He is a "just and fair God" and Would not ask of us anything without giving us the means with which to do it! Wether it be in the form of Grace, courage, wisdom or Mercy...He will afford it to us to enable us to carry out the calling....now that's Amazzing love!

God's call is only dimmed by our focus being elsewhere...and by not entering into stillness with Him..."God Prescence" that's when He speaks....

We can renew our Hearing by spending time with Him in stillness....By reading scripture and being aware of a particular passage or word "speaking to us" this is Gods own voice... We need to be attentive and vigilant...

We are assured of the prize...all who press on towards the ultimate goal...which is Heavenward....it's beautiful ...a very fruitful relationship....any time I get weary I hang on to Pauls beautiful outpouring....

Yes I have received the upward call of Christ and What I've learned is that with each call Comes responsibility...to do what He asks of us..but We know that He is a "just and fair God" and Would not ask of us anything without giving us the means with which to do it! Wether it be in the form of Grace, courage, wisdom or Mercy...He will afford it to us to enable us to carry out the calling....now that's Amazzing love!

God's call is only dimmed by our focus being elsewhere...and by not entering into stillness with Him..."God Prescence" that's when He speaks....

We can renew our Hearing by spending time with Him in stillness....By reading scripture and being aware of a particular passage or word "speaking to us" this is Gods own voice... We need to be attentive and vigilant...

We are assured of the prize...all who press on towards the ultimate goal...which is Heavenward....it's beautiful ...a very fruitful relationship....any time I get weary I hang on to Pauls beautiful outpouring....

The heavenly calling of God and the prize have been interpreted in three main ways:

(1) The prize and the calling are essentially one and the same thus the prize itself is God's calling to life in his eternal presence.

(2) The call is the summons by the president of the contest (or perhaps even the emperor) to the successful athlete to come forward to receive his prize. In this interpretation, the calling or summons is the one that occurs at the end of the race. But this doesn't jive with Paul's usual use of the idea of "calling."

(3) Paul is referring to God's act of calling to salvation, thus the sentence refers to "the prize promised by God's heavenly call in Christ Jesus."Thus in this context the prize is "the full and complete gaining of Christ, for whose sake everything else has been counted loss."

Yes I have experienced this calling to life in Gods eternal presence

Cares of life, distractions from the world and our own way of thinking causes the causes to dim our hearing to Gods call. 

Striving to have a personal relationship with God, meditating on Gods word and prayer and continuously seeking to serve the Lord, fellowship with dedicated Christians (true disciples of Jesus Christ) can renew our hearing for this call.

I was a teen when I got the call to serve this Jesus.

There was a period when I was busy raising children and working that Jesus "seemed" more distant, but even then, reading my Bible and teaching my sons was important. I had many experiences of Jesus being very close. I can honestly say that I have "seen" and heard Him so clearly. I have heard His voice and I know I am in the race and will persevere to the end.

I have been really blessed in my life and I thank God daily for His blessings and His favor.

I love my Lord!

I had a new call about 7 months ago and I am just so happy that God uses me to promote His Kingdom.

Q2. (3:14) What is it like to be called upwards by God?

Answer: When you are called upward by God it is like somebody is talking to you in small voice or He can use someone to lead to lead you to Him.

Answer: Yes some years ago,God used my office mate to call me to be His son.

What causes God's call to become dim in our hearing?

Answer: When we keep on sinning, when we can not forgive.

How can we renew our hearing of his call?

Answer: By forgetting what lies behind, thru prayers, immersion on Gods presence, living a sinless life and forgive.

Answer: The specific of this summons or call is that for us to totally submit to Christ so that He may be able to cleanse & purify us that we may be useful to His ministry for His glory and honor.

Paul pursued Christ likeness with the enthusiasm and persistence of a runner in games. The apostle did not claim to have attained spiritual maturity. He was still pressing on, pursuing that for which Christ Jesus took hold of him. Nor had he yet taken hold of it, that is, he had not yet attained perfection or ultimate conformity to Christ. But he was determined that he would forget the past and, like a runner, press on toward the goal. Paul refused to be controlled or absorbed by his past heritage or his attainments.

Vigorously and with concentration we need to sought wining the prize to which God has for us heavenward. We should not let anything take our eyes off our goal—knowing Christ. With the single-mindedness of an athlete in training, we must lay aside everything harmful and forsake anything that may distract us from being effective Christians. 

Q2. (3:14) What is it like to be called upwards by God?

The feeling is out of this world.  It gives me a sense of purpose. When I feel it, I know that God value my life and has promised to make a person that I need to be in order to fulfill His commission.

Yes. I have experienced this in Hungry Horse, Montana. 

What causes God's call to become dim in our hearing? God's calling becomes dim when we don't follow and obey Him and be on our own as society sometimes liked us to do.

How can we renew our hearing of his call?  When we humble ourselves by asking for forgiveness from God and obeying His words and show His love to others.

Phillipians 3:14 indicated that when we know there is a prize awaiting us in heaven, we really focus on Jesus Christ.  In 1 Corinthians 9:14 said, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize."

Thank you Dr. Ralph for this lesson.

• 9 months later...
On 4/22/2005 at 1:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

What is it like to be called upwards by God?--When you are in darkness and god calls you into the light of his salvation.

Have you ever experienced this?--Yes I have,God brought me out of the darkness to show me his great Love for me.

What causes God's call to become dim in our hearing?----This world, the noise of this world, the worries and cares.

How can we renew our hearing of his call--The Word.."Faith comes from hearing and hearing from the Word of God"

What is the content or specifics of this message or summons or call?To keep going forward, to fight the good fight of faith.

• 5 years later...

What is it like to be called upwards by God? Have you ever experienced this? What causes God's call to become dim in our hearing? How can we renew our hearing of his call? What is the content or specifics of this message or summons or call?

I don't believe I have had the emotional experience -- the 'high' -- that many have written about in their responses to this question. My calling was subtle and quiet and took years to root. I''m assuming, here, that Pastor Ralph is referring to his third description of the prize, that is, the call to salvation.

I look back on life and see that the times in which I was most self-promoting (and often happier, unfortunately) were the times when the calling in the sense of vocation was dimmed. I lost track of the real goal which has to do with determinedly focusing on Jesus and not the self, forcing myself to run the race as fast as possible and toward the mark. Today, I sense the strenuous nature of the Christian life, that to be called may involve my determined response, not merely a passive one. In other words, it's not just "accepting" Christ but doing everything possible to actively and exhaustingly pursue Him.

The part of the question that asks how to renew the call troubles me because I'm not sure we renew it at all. If we're running a race and we get sidelined by our own selfish pursuits, we know what to do -- get back on the track and run! 

The specific content of the call can be to salvation, at the beginning of the Christian life, but later, after the sanctification process had continued for awhile, the call becomes to daily obedience and to a deepening knowledge of Him. I have found in my own spiritual walk that the call is less to DO something than to BECOME someone in Him. Early on, we're called to do something: later, we're called to be something/someone, that is, to establish a closer relationship with Him. The doing comes out of the being/becoming. I know this, but it's still difficult for me to not know what I'm supposed to do, to not have a clear goal toward which I can run.