JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Discipleship and Imitation

Q3. (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him? Why are we so hesitant to do this? How does God use imitation in building disciples? Who is likely to imitate you?

Because he was sure that he has been following Christ sincerely from the depth of his heart and was not afraid to be be found otherwise.

Because we have skeletons in our cuboards.

Because it easier to learn from a mentor you see than Jesus who we do not see physically.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (3:17) 

How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him? 

Why are we so hesitant to do this? 

How does God use imitation in building disciples? 

Who is likely to imitate you?

Paul was focused on becoming more and more Christlike, and it was this pattern he was asking others to follow.

Paul has confessed his limitation, so he is pleading for people to follow him not in his failures and limitations, not in his achievements, but in that which really matters - being laid hold of by Christ Jesus.

I think we should be careful in designating oneself as an example, since we make ourselves vulnerable, setting ourselves up for failure.

One has to be either extremely arrogant, or transparently humble to project oneself as a model. 

There are too many arrogant people in the world who tell us that they have arrived and we would do well to follow them.

Superstars and the super successful are presented as models, and if we use the products they advertise we will be like them.

Rarely does a call to imitate come from the humble. 

In Jesus Christ we have the perfect example to follow - “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps (1 Peter 2:21).”

Certain great men of God can become a great inspiration to us. There are so many but I think of people like Andrew Murray, Charles H Spurgeon, John Calvin, and of course Paul himself. 

Who is likely to imitate me? I’m not sure. All I can say is that if others can perhaps see just a tiny glimpse of our Lord in me – that would be my greatest compliment. 

Paul can be bold because he lives his life totally for Christ. He walk, talk and speak all Jesus. Jesus to Paul is the best person that he ever met. Paul is completely sold on Christ and he wants others to imitate him because he imitate Christ Jesus. We are hesitant because of mistakes, so we do not want anyone to follow us when we fall short in following Christ. God uses Christ death and resurrection to build disciples. All who believe are to follow Christ example in walking the Christian life.

Paul can be bold because he lives his life totally for Christ. He walk, talk and speak all Jesus. Jesus to Paul is the best person that he ever met. Paul is completely sold on Christ and he wants others to imitate him because he imitate Christ Jesus. We are hesitant because of mistakes, so we do not want anyone to follow us when we fall short in following Christ. God uses Christ death and resurrection to build disciples. All who believe are to follow Christ example in walking the Christian life.

Paul called people to follow Christ as he did, that is the example he set for others.  Jesus Christ is the goal and His Gospel is our light of life.  Paul did not call people to follow him but Christ.

Every Christian needs to focus their life unto Christ Jesus, the Redeemer, and the only Saviour.  Just as Moses raised the bronze snake on a stick for those who were bitten by snakes to look up to that image and be healed, that was the foreshadow example for all people in the world, if they want to be saved, they must look up unto Christ Jesus, who was raised on the cross as the ultimate offering for the forgiveness of sins.

Num 21:7  Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.

Num 21:8  And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

Num 21:9  And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Any true Christian should carry the light of Jesus Christ into the world.  It is not the candle stick that people follow, but the flame of the Gospel that people need for their life.  The person who brings the Good News of Jesus Christ has nothing for anyone to imitate, but after receiving the Gospel of Jesus Christ and experiencing its truth, they will in turn bring the Good News to other people from one generation to another.

I do not hesitate to tell people to be the same Christ Light bearer as I do.  Once the people can experience the truthfulness of the Gospel in their life, they will certainly have the courage, the joy and the zeal to bring the same Gospel to other people around them.

I can’t see anything in Paul for me to imitate, but his message that certifies Jesus Christ is the true Lamb of God, and the only Redeemer of the world.  In my turn, I also want to be the same messenger to the world, to testify that Jesus Christ is the only true Saviour, and only through Christ, one can obtain the forgiveness of sin and the hope of salvation.  I have nothing to offer to the world except Christ Jesus.

We should remember that Paul was a persecutor of the first Christians, but after being won by Jesus Christ, he had turn out to be the most zealous witness of the faith to the gentile world.

In the next verses, Paul has declared (NIV, Phil 3):

18 For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.

19 Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things.

20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,

Clearly in Paul’s time, many false prophets and false teachers had appeared in the Christian churches to lead people away from God.  In the present time the false teachers and false prophets are even more abundant.  They have developed new doctrines and preach to the churches that Jesus Christ is not the only way to heaven, Christian should be more tolerant of the new trend of the society, they should focus only in kindness, compassion, loving care, living in harmony with other non-believers, and seeking to build a united world for peace and safety where all religions are accepted.

Those who preach such messages are true enemies of Jesus Christ, their glory in this world will certainly be their shame when Jesus Christ come back for the judgement of the world. Being the faithful followers of Jesus Christ we should not accept those anti-Christ doctrines, and we should expose them loudly for the world to know. That is another example that Paul has set out for us to follow and do as he did.

Q3. (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him? Why are we so hesitant to do this? How does God use imitation in building disciples? Who is likely to imitate you?

Paul's quest is to know God to the fullest extent, thus he calls others to imitate him.

We become hesitant to follow Paul's example because we know we will make a mistake and are hesitant to go forward in living out our Christian lives. Others who see us make mistakes may say that we are not a good example to follow.

God uses imitation in building disciples because this is the way Jesus taught his disciples. He taught them by the mistakes they made and the good examples he showed. By realizing their mistakes and correcting them they were able to go into a Christ life style.

The only one's I know who may imitate me would be my family. 

Shalom Saints by Faith in Messiah Yahshua,

GREETINGS,

1. Paul is bold to ask others to imitate him because he follows Messiah and is a doer of the Word.

2. The enemy gets in our life to distract us in being obedient. We get lazy we don't put on the full armor of Yah. We do not obey the command to take every thought captive to the obedience of Messiah to walk upright before Yahweh. We hang around the wrong people. Who we associate with is who we become.

3. Yah sent His Son for us to follow. He is the perfect example. Yahshua only did and said what the Father told him to say. If we memorized all of Yahshuas Words and used them in this world. The world would be introduced to His Father. They would also see the power and miracles in His name.

4. The people that might imitate me would be family, friends and possibility acquaintances. They see how we live and respond to situations in our life.

Family Testimony: When we studied fruits meet for repentance, becoming a doer of the Word and not a hearer only. When we as parents would do something wrong and see our children do the same thing, we asked them to forgive us for teaching them a bad example. They became more repentive and asked our forgiveness. Then they started to ask forgiveness because of their thoughts. I thought maybe their going over board, until Yah led me

To Acts. 8:22 "Repent therefore of this thy wickedness and pray Yah if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee."

I said to my children, "What I do in moderation you will do in excess."

Friend's Testimony, I was shopping at a department store and we had purchased linoleum. We had a problem with it when we were laying it down and it ripped. There was a warranty that it was guaranteed not to rip. When I shared with the salesman he got very defensive and went up one side of me and down the other with a very sarcastic attitude. I looked at him very calmly and said,"Sir your services are no longer needed."

A friend was with me and she said, "Wow!" I would have said a few choiced words he wouldn't of wanted to hear." I said, "Why would I allow him to ruin my testimony as a believer? She thought for a moment and said, "I'm going to have to remember that line when I want to blow up at someone, thanks you taught me something."

Praise Yah for an open heart to receive.

Many Blessings,

Faith

Q3. (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him? 

Why are we so hesitant to do this? How does God use imitation in 

building disciples? Who is likely to imitate you?

1.  As Paul follows Christ he invites others to learn from his example.
  1.  We must understand that we are not perfect and will make mistakes, 

but as we follow Christ invite others to learn from our example. When

we make a mistake, we should admit it, ask for forgiveness and go on.

1.  It can help a disciple get strengthened. A disciple can learn from 

imitating true Godly people.

1. My grandchildren, my children, younger children and their friends, 

and someone I mentor.

Paul could be bold in His asking of others to imitate Him because He set a perfect example...by which to follow and ultimately He wanted His Brothers and Sisters to obtain the ultimate goal of the upward call of Christ...He reminded them of how far they had all come..and by being united they could gain in strength to achieve the same intent.

We tend to be hesitant to do this because we know we fall short of imitating Christ...

God uses imitation in building disciples by setting the example to be followed..He Shepherds His flock so they can all learn by example...this is a Fathers Love..the greatest Teacher...

People who tell Me I inspire them are the ones who may be more likely to imitate Me...

Paul was unshakable in his faith for Jesus. He just LOVED His savior. When you have that kind of love, you can't stop talking about it and urge others to do the same. It became part of his life and it can be part of our life. 

People need to see and experience our example of service and want to have what we have.

Q3. (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him?

Answer:Because he knows and he believes that deep in his heart he truly and wholeheartedly follow, obey and seek Jesus Christ.

Answer:Because we still have reservations in our life that we can not give-up, that we are still enjoying some of our sin, that we are afraid people will reject us because of what they see in our lives.

Answer: God shows His disciple His life example as a servant not as a master and ask them to do the same. 

Who is likely to imitate you?

Answer: By Gods grace my family.

Telling others how to live their lives would be a challenging task, but this is exactly what Paul was encouraging his brothers and sisters during his time.  To walk the walk and talk the talk. In his letters, he really indicate that if you want to be Christlike, you have to throw away everything and follow Jesus.  He also said that it would not be easy since we are not fighting against a human but a spirit.  And with Jesus as our guidance and supporter, he assured us that we can overcome our weaknesses.  Following Jesus Christ is what our lives are all about and knowing faithfully that there is a price once we accomplish our great commission task.

Having set forth his life ambition to be more Christlike, Paul did not hesitate to tell the Philippians to follow his example. He wanted them to imitate him. Surely he did not mean that they should imitate every single area of his life, for he had just stated that he was not sinlessly perfect.  But as he focused his life on being like Christ, so should they. The Gospels may not yet have been in circulation, so Paul could not tell them to read the Bible to see what Christ was like.But in the matter of relentlessly pursuing after Christlikeness, he did set himself up as an example. 

Therefore, he urged them to imitate him. Paul could tell people to follow his example is a testimony to his character. We can do the same and others become followers of Christ.

Q3. (3:17) How can Paul be so bold as to ask others to imitate him?

His experience at Damascus Road give him insight that no man has ever experienced. And as he met the disciples of Jesus Christ, he became convinced that He can imitate Christ.

We are in nature, humans and sometimes we feel that we can be on our own. We hesitate because we are not sure of ourselves.

As Jesus said in Luke 6:40...  "People can never be biblical leaders and truly mature until they come to realize that God has called them to be examples to others. As the Lord Jesus pointed out, “A disciple is not greater than his teacher, but everyone when fully trained will be like his teacher”.  If we don't allow God to work His way in us, then we won't know Him till we let Him come into our heart.

Who is likely to imitate you?  Those who comes to fellowship with us like our Christian brothers and sisters.  When they see that you really honestly devote your whole life to Christ Jesus, then they are likely to "mimic you" as Paul said in 1 Corinthians 11:1 -- "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ".

• 9 months later...
On 4/22/2005 at 1:56 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

He is bold in Christ.

I feel I do not I would represent Jesus well.

God needs us to learn from Jesus, to be as Jesus.

I pray my children will imitate mess that they may grow up to imitate Jesus.

• 5 years later...

He’s only asking us to imitate his “pressing on” or “straining” toward the goal of knowing Christ. He wants us to do similarly, to press and stretch ourselves to know Christ relationally. He is NOT asking us to be like him as a Christian or a man, but, as ourselves, press toward Christ.

I would never ask anyone to imitate me. In my opinion, this would be heresy. We are to imitate Christ only.