JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Praising God's Greatness

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

I can pray the same words David prays and give them as an offering not a rote recitation. These are awesome words. The Lord's prayer contains "father who art in heaven" and "hallowed be your name" and "thy kingdom come!" which are all words of praise describing and celebrating who God is (not what he has done).

Not so good at remembering songs... "our God is an awesome God, He rules from heaven above, with wisdom, power and love -- our God is an awesome God!"

and there's that great one with "mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of your name". And I think it's the same one that has the line about "my comfort, my shelter, tower of refuge and strength".

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

When I pray to God I need to FOCUS more on the characteristics and attributes of God, His glory, His honor, His love, and His power and might, and less on my own meager needs when compared to a Holy God.

Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer?

Matthew 6:9-13 (KJV) – “After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.”

In the Lord’s Prayer, we see praise is to God when Jesus tells His disciples to pray in this manner:

1. Recognized God,

2. Recognized God as Holy,

3. Recognized God’s kingdom,

4. Recognized that it is His Will do be done in heaven and on earth,

5. Recognized God’s power and glory,

6. Recognized that He is Eternal.

What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

Great Is Thy Faithfulness, How Great Thou Art, How Majestic Is Your Name, He Is Lord, and Holy, Holy, Holy.

• 2 weeks later...

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God such as glory, honor and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

By praising and exalting God. By blessing His holy name. By acknowledging that He is the King of kings and Lord of lords.

"Hallowed be your name"; "Your kingdom"; "Your will"; "Give us this day our daily bread"; "Deliver us from evil"; "Thine is the the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever".

What are your favourite songs that point to God's greatness?

Various

• 1 year later...

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

I can mention God's greatness by praising Him at the beginning and end of my prayers. In the Lord's Prayer it says "for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever." Some of my favorite songs that proclaim God's greatness are "Great I Am", "Holy, Holy, God Almighty Who was and Is to Come", "How Great Thou Art", and "Ancient of Days". He is greater than anything else and God has existed as the Supreme for all-time. How can we not praise His name?

• 4 weeks later...

I would begin my prayers as David did and acknowlege who God is. The Lord's prayer follows as completely as Davids prayers. It starts with the acknowlegement of where God is located, it lifts His name up, refers to His kingdom and we pray for His will to be done here as it is in heaven. (an expression of true faith) The prayer follows with acknowledging that all our needs are supplied by God, our food, our forgiveness and even deliverance from the evil one. It is a beautiful prayer.

My favorite songs are many but the two I love the most is "How Great thou Art and Amazing Grace."

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honour, and might. 
How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? 
What are your favourite songs that point to God's greatness?

When I pray I acknowledge God as creator of all the earth and the skies; the sun, the moon, the ocean and its tides; who knows us from our mother's womb our bodies and our minds our health. The omniscient, all knowing one who knows what is in our hearts even when we are afraid or unable to express our needs and desires. The one who blessed Solomon with his wisdom and understanding, the one through whom Joshua made the sun to stand still, the forgiving and self sacrificing God who sent his only Son to die on the cross so that we maybe saved from the consequences of our own sinful nature.

In the Lord's prayer Jesus praises and acknowledges God's coming kingdom in which the elect will reside at the same time he acknowledges God's almighty power over us all while noting His glorious being.His glory lies in that with  all his goodness and greatness he still gives us the power of choice.

There are so many hymns that express the greatness of God. Some that immediately come to mind is "How Great thou art", How great is our God,  My God is an awesome God, My God is awesome, He can move mountains, "All glory laud and honour", O worship the King, Immortal Invisible, God will take care of you, Agnus dei-Hallelujah  the Lord God Almighty reigns.

Soo many.

• 1 year later...

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

I would start by properly praising God—with holy awe and reverence, and agreeable affection, acknowledging His infinite perfections; that He is great, powerful, glorious, etc., but also that He is the greatness, power, and glory that is in and of Himself.

Our Lord’s prayer ends with a doxology much like this which David here begins with—

11 Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, . . . "
1 Chronicles 29:11

Greatness: physical growth as well as increase.7

Power: might

Glory: beauty, to beautify, to boast, to glorify.

". . . . . for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory. . . . . "

Matthew 6:13b    

We ask for all these things BECAUSE the Kingdom is Yours, the Power is Yours, and the Glory is Yours. All else are requests, but these three are declarations. “Thine IS the Kingdom… Thine IS the Power… Thine IS the Glory.” That is the conclusion that we come to, and it is the reason that we pray in this way.

As I'm sure you have read other comments on favorite songs of God's greatness, these I just mentioned are only a few. Pending on ones taste for music, there are the old hymns, gospel music, and modern day Christian music. Then you have the gospel songs sung by African American sung on plantations. I may not be a music aficionado, but my tastes range from gospel to blues to light jazz, to some modern day Christian artists to the classics. 

How Great Is Our God; North Point Live - Our Great God; Hillsong - The Greatness Of Our God; How Great Thou Art; My God is an Awesome God; Amazing Grace.

The Greatness Of Our God by Hillsong

Give me eyes to see more of who You are

May what I behold still my anxious heart

Take what I have known and break it all apart

For You my God are greater still

No sky contains, no doubt restrains

All You are, the greatness of our God

I spend my life to know and I'm far from home

To all You are, the greatness of our God

Give me grace to see beyond this moment here

To believe that there is nothing left to fear

And that You alone are high above it all

And no sky contains, no doubt restrains

There is nothing that can ever separate us

There is nothing that can ever separate

If from Your love, no life, no death of this I am convinced

There is nothing that can ever separate us

There is nothing that can ever separate

If from Your love, no life, no death of this I am convinced

And no words could say or song convey

All You are, the greatest of our God

• 1 month later...

I can tell God how wonderful he is. I can tell him about all the great things that he has done for me and for all the earth. I can reiterate how he rules over all and over everyone. In the Lord's Prayer, the words hallowed be your name are used to praise God. Then we tell God that it is his will that should be done, not ours. We are nothing more than his servants here on earth.

My favorite song to show God's greatness are:

Alpha and Omega by Gaither Vocal Band

Awesome God by Rich Mullins

Blessed be Your Name by Tree 63

How Great is Our God by Chris Tomlin

Our God is and Awesome God by Kurt Kaiser.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I start my prayer offering worship and praising God acknowledging His loving kindness towards me and my family. Gracious God,loving and living Heavenly Father. God of grace,mercy and peace.

Our father who art in heaven,hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth.

Because power and glory belongs to you alone.

How great thou art. Great is thy faithfulness. Rock of ages. Bless the Lord my soul.. At the Cross At the Cross, blessed assurance and many more as I sing in other Indian languages.

• 4 years later...

O Lord, I will honor and praise your name, for you are my God. You do such wonderful things! You planned them long ago, and now you have accomplished them.

You turn mighty cities into heaps of ruins. Cities with strong walls are turned to rubble. Beautiful palaces in distant lands disappear and will never be rebuilt. Therefore, strong nations will declare your glory; ruthless nations will fear you.

But you are a tower of refuge to the poor, O Lord, a tower of refuge to the needy in distress. You are a refuge from the storm and a shelter from the heat.

We exalt and praise God because He completes our plans as He promised us. God also fulfills his promises to us. He answers our prayers, Lord we praise you for Your goodness and faithfulness.

God loves the person who gives cheerfully.” When we are generous because we are thankful, our attitude can inspire others. We need to give generously to God’s work.

David contrasts God’s everlasting nature with the fleeting lives of his people. Nothing lasts unless it is rooted in God’s unchanging character. If our most impressive deeds fade to dust before God, where should we place our confidence? Only in a relationship with God can we find anything permanent. His love never fades, and nothing can take it away

• 6 months later...

How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

I use a digital prayer journal, and in it I have a list of praises for His Greatness. Great Healer, Deliverer, Holy, Everlasting, God of Light, Creator, God of Wonders and Miracles, God of Peace, Provider, Comforter, Mighty, God of Justice and Mercy and many more.

In the Lord’s Prayer, the words of praise are ”hallowed be thy Name.”

My two favorites are: Great is Thy Faithfulness and How Great Thou Art. I also like To God Be the Glory and Holy, Holy, Holy

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2005 at 11:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

When I begin to pray I let God know that I know that He is Alpha and Omega the Beginning and the End, He is the Creator of the heavens and the earth, that He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. I tell Him that there is no one like Him and no one can love me the way He loves me. He is all powerful and He can do anything. I live, I move, and I have my very being because of Him. 

I believe it would be found in the Lord's prayer where it says,"for Yours is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever and ever, Amen. 

My favorite songs that point to God's greatness are:

Alpha and Omega Israel Houghton

I love you Lord, and I lift my voice to worship You

Revelation 19:1 by Maverick City

Wreckless Love by Hillsong

I am Loved by Maverick City

Abba by 

Great I Am by Phillip, Craig, and Dean

Ghost by Mercy Me

So Will I by Hillsong

I have SO many ?

• 1 year later...

These verses are a great reminder to extol God's greatness!! His Power!! His Might!!  In the Lord's Prayer, exaltation is tied in through 'Our Father IN HEAVEN,' 'HOLY be Your Name' and, 'THY Kingdom come'--Jesus taught us to remember God's greatness and sovereignty.  Some of my favorite songs that point to God's greatness include How Great Thou Art, I Exalt Thee that you mentioned, and In Christ Alone.

On 10/1/2005 at 1:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

Abba dearest your so glorious, light surrounds you, your preciousness is so overwhelming. I am undone by the constant release of your goodness upon my life. You are my treasure and delight. I rejoice in the wonders of who you are! Wow, you blow my carnal thinking out of my brain and saturate me with the mind of Christ. Truely your my saviour, my ancient of days. I glory in who you are! Awesome in might and power. Tremendous in justice and righteousness. Your perfection displayed through Christ’s death and resurrection overwhelms me with incredible gratitude by this magnification of the demonstration of your love for me. With the fruit of my lips, I praise you now and forever more. Be exalted, yes be exalted Holy One of Israel. Let your glories resound throughout the earth for your honour, renown and praise. Hallelujah, you Reign!

2. Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer?

By hallowing His name and declaring and celebrating the truth of His Kingdom plans for my salvation, reconciliation and His desire to have a deeply personal and intimate relationship with me. Wow 🤩

3. What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

At the moment God is speaking to me through Georgia and Winnie Banov songs: The “Blisstronica”albums. He wants me to celebrate, receive and enjoy all that He is!