JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Praising God's Greatness

Q 3. To begin to praise and thank Him for all that he has done for me, and to give him praise and Glory and Honor in all things, not just the small things. His love and purpose for us never change. This is how one can begin to bring greatness to our prayers. When we surender our TIME, TALENTS, and TREASURES and allow him to take over control of our lives. He is the giver and taker of all things. Our constantly changing world is controlled by a constant and unchanging God. As we see life come and go, objects fade, materials decay and friends change, the only thing on which we can truly depend is God's control and his greatness.

We can start to sing and praise him daily. Some of my favorite songs are:

Great is Thy Faithfulnes

Majesty

How Great thou art

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Gracious and Merciful Heavenly Father.

Giving us our food daily, forgiving our sins and keeping us from temptationof the Evil One.

Holy, Holy, Holy.

Wonderful, Merciful Savior.

Redeemer, Savior, Friend.

High and Lifted Up

Glory to the Lamb,--- I have so many that I like. I have not heard any that I did not like...

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to

God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to

mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of

praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your

favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

By praising him. Prasiing him for his goodness and mercy to us. And for the beauty around us. He is might and worthy of our praises for he is an awesome God. :rolleyes:

Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer?

Our Father who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

We lift your name on high

What an awesome God

How Great thou art

Holy Holy Holy

There are times when I pray I try and think of beautiful things to praise God with as I begin my prayers,such as"Heavenly Fathers",I love you.Heavenly Father,you are so good to me,"You are the "Mighty One".Heavenly Father,"You are the Creator of everything,the trees ,the air I breath,the singing birds,the spiders hanging from the trees,"You and you alone have created everthing"I love your creation.I could go on and on but Im sure you understand what I am saying.In the Lords Prayer it starts out with "Our Father,who are in heaven,"HALLOW"be thy name.As we pray the Lords Prayer,we tell God how holy He is,how sacred.We hallow God .Some of my favorite songs are contemperary,and also out of the Hymnal books."You Are So Good To ME",Amazing Grace,Holy Holy Holy."Great And Mighty Is He".There are so many beautiful songs we can sing.

Another thing,when you are spending time with God,make up your own song.Just sing to God in your own way,and in your ouw tune.Add your own thoughts and words.You will be blessed,as you bless God with your own words and singing.Amen :D

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

When I begin to pray, sometimes, I begin by thinking of all God has done to help me remember why He is so mighty, so awesome, etc. We can find an example of this in the Lord's prayer in the passage that says, "...for Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever..." I love any song that makes direct reference to God's holiness and greatness.

"You Are Holy"

"To Him Who Sits on the Throne"

"How Excellent is Your Name"

"We Exalt Thee"

And I could go on and on!

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

I like to pray the Psalms adapting them to fit my life and time. Psalms 147-150 are good praise psalms.

Matthew 6:9b - "Hallowed be thy name."

Matthew 6:13b - "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen."

Wake, Awake, for Night Is Flying; Awake, My Soul, and with the Sun; This Is My Father's World; Crown Him with Many Crowns; Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise; Battle Hymn of the Republic; O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing; All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night; Blessing and Honor and Glory and Power; To God Be the Glory; The Lord Is King!; My God, How Wonderful Thou Art.

The following is the last four lines of the Latin hymn At the Lamb's High Feast :

Hymns of glory, songs of praise,

Father, unto Thee we raise:

Risen Lord, all praise to Thee

with the Spirit ever be.

These are the last four lines of a hymn by Isaac Watts, Jesus Shall Reign :

Let every creature rise and bring

His grateful honors to our King;

Angels descend with songs again,

And earth repeat the loud amen!

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

I can mention all the wonderful things God has done and will do in my life. My favorite song just says Holy, Holy, Holy.

:rolleyes:

Holy, wonderful, blessed One Heavenly, the list goes on and on and on.

At the beginning, in the middle and at the end. At the beginning we see the holiness and might of God. In the middle we call on His name for forgiveness, his abundance and protection. At the end, in many beliefs,"for Thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory forever and ever"

Just As I Am, Breathe, Imagine, Amazing Grace, Worthy Is the Lamb, He Is, Footprints of God. I can go on. All I listen to is Christian Radio and I love it al.

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL OF YOUR HEART!

The same way! Recalling all of God's goodness, and faithfulness to me! Sometimes, He just blows me away!! He is so awesome, and so everywhere, and in all things you can find Him at work, around and with you!

Hallowed the Thy Name, is just the beginning for honoring the Lord, in the Lords Prayer, and that pretty much says it all! My favorite song about God's greatness? I Can Only Imagine.........

I normally sing Praise to God about His greatness,there are so many hymns that express the greatness of God.I also quote the Psalms which have so much to say about the greatness of God.

I think the whole prayer is about God's greatness ad power.He is the King of the Kingdom, it is His will that we want done on Earth.We also express our dependancy on Him not for bread forgiveness and security.

Our God Is An Awesome God

Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty

Rock Of Ages

There Is No Rock

All Hail King Jesus

Salvation Belongs ToOur God.

--------and many more

To the Only Wise GOD, Saviour of All mankind, Merciful and Longsuffering, Compassionate Deliverer. The things that GOD has done for me and Saved me from, & provided for me and mine become the backdrop for my approach to Him. Every day GOD proves Himself worthy of my praise to Him. Through His acts of Kindness and Great Grace to me, I'm able to start with what He means to me.

In its beginning "Hollowed" be thy name, and end "Thine is the Kingdom, Power and Glory". Recognition of the Greatness of the All Powerful Everlasting GOD.

How Great Thou Art, Handel's Messiah, and the songs that He puts in my spirit as I attempt to worship Him (no rhym or reason) just His illumination of Himself.

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

Typically I will start with appology for being short on all accounts for just being human with a selfish heart. Then I tell Him how amazing He is to me and to help me learn how to love Him right. I might add some ponderings about how enormous in every way He must be compared to me and my world. And how limited I am compared to Him.

Forgive us our debts; lead us not into temptation; for Yours is the Kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever - Amen!

There are so many! Here are a few:

El Shaddai

Amazing Grace

The Wonderful Cross

Holy You Are Lord

Good for Me - to lay it down at your feet (by Watermark)

1. When we approach prayer with the heart typified by David we recognize God's greatness. We acknowledge that only God has the glory, honor, and might as we talk to him. For me the key is to keep this in mind as I break from prayer and go about my daily life. Also God's character is always his and unchanging no matter how we approach him; even when I prayer as if in ritual or as if following a formula because I have to. God's character doesn't change, but mine will, for good or bad, depending on my heart as I go to Him.

2. To me the Lord's Prayer is entirely a recognition of God's greatness.

3. Our God is an awsome God.

How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

Where is this kind of praise found for example in the Lord's prayer?

What are your favourite songs that point to God's greatness?

1. Often, in prayer, I tell the Lord, that "He is God, and beside Him there is

no God" . Also, that the heavens declare the glory of God and the firnmanent

sheweth His handiwork.

2. For thine is the glory and the honour and the power (at the endof the Lord's prayer)

3. Favourite songs, "Great are you, LOrd and greatly to be praised"

"Great is your faithfulness, O God my Father"

" Let there be glory and honour and praises"

"Majesty, worship His Majesty"

A. Lord You are holy, You are righteous, You are just and all powerful.

B. Matt. 6 v9 (Father, hallowed), v10 (Thy kingdom), v11 [give us daily bread (it all belongs to and comes from You)], v12 [forgive us (You only can pardon our sin)] v13 deliver us from temptation and evil (as only You can) for You are the King with all the power who all glory belongs to.

C. "Great is Thou Faithfulness;" "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God:" "Nothing But the Blood of Jesus."

I usually mention God's greatness by praising Him for His creation and for the forgiveness of my sins.

This kind of praise can be found at the beginning of The Lord's Prayer, "hallowed be thy name", and at the end,"For thine is the glory and the honor and the power..".

My favorite songs that point to God's greatness include:

Awesome God

My Tribute (To God be the Glory)

Holy Holy Holy

El Shaddai

How Great Thou Art

Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee

I'm sure I could come up with more, but this was all I could come up with off the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...
:rolleyes: We can actully start our prayers by invoking the greatness of our God, by repeating the quoted verses from the text from Revelation book. Our God takes great pleasure on our praises unto him. In the prayer taught by Lord, in the end we close committing everything, all glory, powerand honor for ever and ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I could begin prayer by meditating on God's greatness and His wonderful attributes and naming them as they come to mind, thanking God for His characteristics. The Lord's prayer begins by addressing Father God and declaring that His name is hallowed. And the prayer ends by declaring God's power and glory and His kingdom are everlasting.

Some of my favourite songs are:

Great is thy faithfulness

Beautiful One

Show Me Your Glory

To mention God's greatness in our prayers we first have to thank Him for His unconditional. Than we can look at all His promises, and give thanks. In these two there is so much of God's glory, and honor, and might.

Both the beinging and end, inbetween is a lot of attributes also.

Amazing Grace

El Shaddai

Beautiful One

There are so many it's hard to chose

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Our Almighty God is Powerful and Mighty ; no one can stand against Him , in that sense I have no word in my prayers that I can describe Him .

The example in the Lord's prayer is found in the book of matthew 6:9.

• 4 weeks later...

As we humble ourselves before Yahweh in prayer we must ask for forgiveness from our sins, honoring His glory, power and praising Him for His grace. The example is found in Matt 6:13b; "for Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

So many hymns. I think of "Holy,Holy,Holy, Power In The Blood, Farther Along, To God Be The Glory" to name a few.

• 4 weeks later...

When I read the Bible in Psalms I will sometimes use what it says about God and His character of Love and Grace and Mercy and I will repeat it back to God as praise. The Lord's Prayer is praising God in the begining and the end. One of my favorite songs that I have always liked is How Great Thou Art.