JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Praising God's Greatness

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

Answer: As I am always in a time-constraint situation, I may start my prayers with "O, holy, almighty and eternal God. Lord of both the living and the dead...etc"

More or less similar to these lines can be found in the first lines of the "Our Father" prayer, saying, "Our Father, who art in heaven. Holy be your name. Your kingdom come, your will...."

My favotire song that points to God's greatness is, "Glory to God in the highest..."

• 3 months later...

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

By first Praising and Worshiping Him - then giving thanks for my many blessings.

Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer?

The whole Prayer is a prayer of praise.

What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

Amazing Grace

How Great Thou Art

All Is Well With My Soul

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

It is an awesome privilege to praise God in our prayers especially because it helps boost our faith which makes our prayers stronger. When we remember God's attributes, and how He is entirely capable and willing of answering all the different kinds of prayers, and have Scripture to back us up, our faith soars making our prayers quite effective and the presence of God so sweet.

There are so many wonderful praise songs. I do love Holy, Holy, Holy, and Great is Thy Faithfulness.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

My prayers would ascribe holiness and power to our righteous God. Addressing Him as the only one worthy of honor, glory and praise. Let praise and worship be unto Him forever and ever.

The beginning of the Prayer declares God's holiness and His Lordship.

Great Are You Lord

How Great Thou Art

Holy, Holy, Holy.

• 4 weeks later...
Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might. How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? Where is this kind of praise found by example in the Lord's Prayer? What are your favorite songs that point to God's greatness?

1). I always start my prayer with praise, thankfulness and asking for forgiviness of my sin. By attributing to Him, the characteristics of power, strength, spirit-filled awesomeness and glory rises up in faith. That He is Awesome, Faithful, Lovingkindness, Everlasting God and Unchanging God that always keeps His promise.

2). It is found in the line `Hallowed Be Thy Name` - giving Him reverence, honor and awe of Holiness.

3). Songs that point God`s Greatness are:

Holy is the Lord, It is well with my soul, How Great Thou Art, Blessed be the Name, Great is Thy Faithfulness.

• 4 months later...

Oh God you are great and awesome, mighty and powerful, You are the Great I AM, my shield and my fortress. You are my protector and my guide. My strength, my healer. You are Lord of lords and King of kings. I love you Lord. You are my everything without you I am nothing, with YOU I can do all things.

For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory

"How Great is our God" by Chris Tomlin

"What a Mighty God we Serve"

• 3 months later...

I would mention God's great mercy, love and awesomeness. God's great power, creativity and care.

The kind of praise found in verses 11 and 12 are the same kind of praise found in the doxology of the Lord's prayer: "...For yours is the kingdom and and the power and the glory forever. Amen."

Two of my favorite songs that point to God's greatness are "How Great Thou Art" and "Holy, Holy, Holy"

• 6 months later...

That He has the power and might to pull me from a sinful life the grace to bring me back into relationship with Him. The Majesty to rule in my life and bring me to a home prepared just for me. Holy isHis name, His kingdom come, His will be done in earth as it is in heaven. His is power and glory forever. Holy,holy ,holy mericful and mighty. I love you Lord and I lift my voice. There are so many other but Ican'tremember the names right now.

• 2 weeks later...

We should begin our prayers with praise. Until we can easily attribute the qualities of glory and honor and might freely using our own words, we can praise God and give Him glory by quoting scriptures and songs of praise we find in the Bible.

Praise in the Lord's Prayer is found at the beginning: "Our Father which art in heaven Hallowed be thy name".

I have several songs I dearly love that point to God's greatness. The Psalms are full of them. Miriam's Song, the song of praise from Hannah and Mary are also favorites. I Exalt Thee, Thou Art Worthy are two examples.

• 4 weeks later...

I might say, "You are a great God and a great King above all gods". Great is thy faithfulness.

A good way to mention the attributes of God in our prayers is to memorize scripture found in The Revelation and in Psalms. Also, I have found that thanking God for blessings He has given me is a great way to start, just in case I ever find that I have trouble starting, or remembering verses.

I find that Psalms are a good place to go when I want to point out God's greatness. That's just me. Songs are good. But Psalms are better for me.

• 1 month later...

In addition to honoring His glory, honor and might, His is the wealth, the power, the majesty. His faithfulness and holiness...His perfection and love. His generosity in sending Jesus and the Holy Spirit. His glorious creation is something I praise Him for....I feel His presence in nature and love to tell Him about that.

Our Father in Heaven, Holy is Your Name...Yours is the power and the glory forever and ever.

I love "Holy, Holy Holy, Lord God almighty", Great is thy faithfulness...I love the worship songs at church that focus on His greatness and majesty. He is exalted....so many more

It is well to refer to Scripture when praising God. While we may have many personal things to thank God for, we also need to recognize His greatness. The Psalms are a wonderful source when we are looking to express thoughts of exaltation to our Father. I'm not saying that we can 'throw a dart' at the Bible and pray what ever passage comes up, but we should be thoughtful and meditate as we come across passages where David, and the others, praise God. Think of what quality of God is being praised, try to get your mind around just what it means to be omnipresent, for example. More than that, think of what it means to be able to converse, whenever you want, with the one and only onmipresent being. What a tremendous gift that is! Praise like this is found at the end of the Lord's prayer (though it is disputed whether Christ actually included the phrase) - "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever."

He is the King of Glory, my glory,I glorify you God, I honour you God, I give you devout praise, You are mighty, You are the God of might, you are Jehovah Nissi, the Mighty warrior.

You are Great Lord, You are the Great God, You are the Powerful God. With Your Mighty hand and Greatness You created the world. You are my maker, You are the Builder, You are the Potter. You are jehovah El-Shaddai.

For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory.

Great is the Lord and is greatly to be praised. There is another one in my language (yoruba, Nigeria). I will try and interprete... It goes '' Alagbara l'Olorun wa Jehovah Messiah Jesu o e se o Baba o e se o. Alagbara l'Olorun wa Olorun ayeraye a soro maye l'Olorun wa awi matase mo gbe o ga. Jesu o e se o, Baba o e se o. Interpretation>>>Our God is a powerful God, He says it and does it, I exalt you God etc

• 3 weeks later...

I believe prayers should begin in a praise and gratitudal spirit to honor our Lord for all the blessing he has given us. I might begin by singing him a song like, "Holy holy Holy" or "Amazing Grace" Sometimes I sing a song making up my own praise words as I go. I picture God smiling down at an adoring child who pleases him tremendously.

• 3 weeks later...

When I mention God's greatness in my prayers, I speak about His power, His majesty, His rulership, His unchanging attributes in a constantly changing world.

The power and the glory.

One of my favourite choruses is "Majesty"

• 5 months later...

As in the Lord's prayer "Our Father", "Abba", Daddy, Hallowed (Holy) is your name. then exalt and praise and give Him honour.

Songs: Exalt the Lord our God; He is exalted; I exalt thee; Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised.

• 7 months later...

Abba Father, thankyou for being King of Kings and Lord of Lords, you are Sovereign, Creator and , Master of all things. You are the great I AM. You spoke the world into existence.You are the true vine and we our the branches. You can find these praises in John 15:1-12

My favorite songs

You are Holy,

O so Holy

What a priviledge and honor

To worship at your throne

To be called into your

Presence as your own

As your own

Like the rushing of a mighty wind

Come and fill my heart again

Let It overflow, Let it overflow

Let it overflow

Patricia

• 1 month later...

I might begin to mention God's greatness in my prayer by thanking him for all he has created and for all his many blessings to me and around me.

In the Lord's Prayer the praise for his glory is seen in "Hallowed be thy Name" and the doxology at the end "for Thine is the Kingdom the Power and the Glory for ever"

Some of my favourite hymns that point to God's greatness:Immortal,invisible,God only wise :All my hope on God is founded:

Angel voices ever singing round Thy throne of light : All things praise thee Lord most high: Great is thy faithfulness, so many wonderful hymns what a blessing!!!

• 5 months later...

Q3.

Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honour, and might.

How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

What are your favourite songs that point to God's greatness?

We acknowledge Him as our Heavenly Father. That is, we are His obedient children and He is in Heaven above all. Hallowed be Thy Name

• 2 months later...

How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers? I tell Him He is magnificent, He is the Lord of lords, He is Almighty God, He is good. I thank Him over and over again for all He has done and all He is going to do in my life and in the lives of my family. Sometimes I dont have too many words but I just keep on saying Thank You LORD, Praise You LORD, Bless You LORD, You are good. I also acknowledge that He is the only one true God and He is LORD over everything and one day, every knee will bow down to Him and every tongue will confess that He alone is LORD.

1) Hallowed by your name

2) Your Kingdom come Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven

3) For yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen

1) Majesty (Jack Hayford)

2) There is none Holy as the Lord

3) Your Name (Paul Baloche)

4) In Your Presence

5) Jesus shall take the Highest Honor, and many many more

• 3 weeks later...

As I start to pray during my daily devotional time. I like to focus on God as my and our Father. Also many times it depends on what portion of the Bible I had read I will usually focus on another attribute of God.

Probably throughout the prayer are the attributes of God mentions according to His actions.

Our Father - Creator and He is Personal

hallow be your name - He is holy.

your kingdom come - He is Lord.

give us our daily bread - He is all powerful.

forgive us our debts - He is our sacrifice and He forgives.

free us from evil - He is our Liberator.

Your is the kingdom, power and the glory - He is everything we will ever need. He is God.

• 5 months later...

Q3. Verses 11 and 12 both attribute various characteristics to God, such as glory, honor, and might.

How might you begin to mention God's greatness in your own prayers?

I start with "Father; Lord of Heaven and Earth"

1) Hallowed by your name

2) Your Kingdom come Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven

3) For yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen

"How great is our Lord"

"Be still and know that I am God"