JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (9:15-19) What was Daniel's essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

As an intercessor Daniel asked God to forgive him and his people of their sins. Considered a righteous man of his time he reminds God of his promise; that after seventy years of desolation Jerusalem would be set free. Daniels people approach God with a sense of personal unworthiness; Daniel approaches God in prayer on the basis of his greatness, holiness and mercy. God did answered Daniels pray by personal messenger; the Angel Gabriel and historical events that unfolded.

Patricia

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (9:15-19) What was Daniel's essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

vs. 19: a return to the promised land

grounds: God did something like that before, He has a character of justice, His chesed-love, because of His own name and reputation

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel's essential prayer was for forgiveness and mercy.

Daniel confessed that Israel had sinned and not listened to the prophets. he asks for mercy based on God's character not on Israel's righteousness. He asks for forgiveness because God's city Jerusalem and God's people bear his name.

God answered Daniel's prayer by sending his messenger, the angel Gabriel who was able to give Daniel insight and understanding. The result was that Daniel was given a vision of the future which included the restoration of Jerusalem.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What was Daniel's essential prayer? Daniel acknowleged that Israel had sinned against God and the punishment was justified. He asked God to forgive Israel not because she is righteous but because God is all merciful and forgiving.

What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal? Daniel's appeals to God was based on God's righteousness, his mercy and his sake. He "reminded" God that He had delivered Israel from Egypt before and it was not because of Israel's righteousness. Surely God will do it again because of his merciful character. Daniel also appealed that for God's own sake, Israel's deliverance will bring worshippers back to God's desolate sanctuary, and will bring God glory. Daniel also reminded God (not that God needed any reminders) that the desolated nation of Israel is also known as God's city. It is as if to say - how can you not forgive your own city, your own people?

How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)? God answered Daniel's prayer immediately. Whilst he was still confessing and praying, the angel Gabriel appeared and told him that as soon as he (Daniel) had begun to pray, an answer was given!

• 1 month later...

Q4. (9:15-19) What was Daniel's essential prayer?

I (we/Israel) am not worthy. You are love. Have mercy on me (we/Israel) a sinner.

What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal?

1) v.15a His reputation of His name; 2) v.15b their confession of sin and repentance; 3) v.16a, 18b he appeals to God

• 1 month later...

Daniel confesses the sins of his nation and he appeals to God's great mercy for forgiveness.

Daniel appeals to God's sense of identifications with the people of Israel and the city of Jerusalem. Look at your people and your city who bear your name and look at the shameful condition that they are in. Daniel appeals that the restoration of Jerusalem and His people will show to the surrounding nations once again His great Glory. Daniel appeals to God's great limitless mercy! Daniel knows so well that it is not because he is great or his people are great, but because GOD is GREAT.

How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

God sent an answer to Daniel through Gabriel while Daniel was still praying . He came to give Daniel insight and understanding.

• 9 months later...

Daniel’s essential prayer was a plea for mercy.

The various grounds of Daniel’s appeal were:

• God’s Precedent - He delivered Israel from Egypt and He can deliver them from Babylon.
  • God’s Glory – God’s glory was shown in the deliverance of His people from Egypt and it will be shown when He delivers them from the Babylonians.
  • God’s Righteousness – When God delivers His people it will show that He is a merciful God.
  • God’s Personal Identification with Jerusalem – Jerusalem bears God’s name, and is desolate. When God delivers His people it will erase the scorn they have had to carry.
  • Worship in God’s Temple – Daniel is appealing to God to let His people worship in His Temple for His sake.
  • God’s Mercy – Daniel is appealing to God’s character and favor.

How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

Daniel 9:20-23 - “And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God; 21Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. 22And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. 23At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.” (KJV)

God answers the prayer of Daniel while he was praying. We can see the excitement of answered prayer when Daniel repeats himself in verses 20 and 21. The angel Gabriel touched Daniel and brought the answer to his prayer from God.

• 1 year later...

Daniel's prayer was a prayer for mercy.

16O Lord, in keeping with all your righteous acts, turn away your anger and your wrath from Jerusalem, your city, your holy hill. Our sins and the iniquities of our fathers have made Jerusalem and your people an object of scorn to all those around us."

The grounds of His appeal included God's precedent of delivering Israel from Egypt, that God would receive the glory, that deliverance displays God's mercy. The appeal also calls upon God's personal identification wtih Jerusalem as the City of God and his holy hill, a renewal of worship in God's temple, a city that "bears His name", and God's character as a merciful God.

God answered their prayer by bringing them out of exile a few years later.

Lord God, help me to apply the lessons I've learned this week to continue to grow as a "prayer". Be glorified in me.

• 3 weeks later...

What was Daniel's essential prayer? What are the various grounds of Daniel's appeal? How did God answer the prayer (see Daniel 9:20-23)?

Daniel's essential prayer was for mercy. He used the grounds of appeal on what God had done before, the gloryGod had previously received for delivering His people from Egypt, the deliverance that shows God's mercy for His people and that God has personally identified Himself with Jerusalem. Jerusalem is where His holy hill is and it is called the City of God. Based on these grounds it came to God as a good petition from a righteous man. God sent the angel Gabriel to Daniel. Gabriel told Daniel that God had given an answer when Daniel had started praying. Gabriel brought God's answer to Daniel.

• 2 years later...

Daniel wanted God to be glorified again. He wanted the return of God's people to be reunited to their God so that they could praise God again as God's nation and God's people in God's own temple.

God sent his angel Gabriel to deliver a personal message to Daniel. God wanted Daniel to know that he heard him. Daniel was told that he was a very beloved servant of God.

• 1 month later...

Daniel’s essential prayer is that they had sinned and have deserved the punishment that God poured out to them but because of God’s love for them, Daniel wanted God’s forgiveness.

Daniel’s prayer is answered by God sending the man Gabriel to him and gave Daniel insight and understanding.

• 4 months later...

Daniel reminded God of His past mercies. He is asking for mercies and grace they don't deserve. Daniel asked the Lord to turn away His anger from Jerusalem and the Holy Temple. Daniel prayed for God's righteousness towards His people and restore the nation that God might be glorified.

Various grounds of Daniel appeal were 1. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous.

2. The Jews were God's chosen people. 3. Jerusalem was the place of His Holy Temple."your city and your people bear your name".

God heard and answered Daniel's prayer. Daniel while he was still praying, the angel Gabriel came,touched him and spoke to him. The angel explained to Daniel what God had planned for Jerusalem,the Temple and the Jewish people.

• 4 years later...

Daniel knew how to pray. As he prayed, he fasted, confessed his sins, and pleaded that God would reveal his will. He prayed with complete surrender to God and with complete openness to what God was saying to him. When you pray, do you speak openly to God? Examine your attitude. Talk to God with openness, vulnerability, and honesty, and be ready for God’s reply.

Daniel begged for mercy, not for help, because he knew that his people deserved God’s wrath and punishment. God sends his help, not because we deserve it, but because he wants to show great mercy. If God would refuse to help us because of our sin, how could we complain? But when he sends mercy instead of the punishment we deserve, how can we withhold our praise and thanksgiving?

Just as God answered Daniel’s prayer, so we can have confidence that God hears and answers our prayers.

• 1 year later...

4a.  The essential of Daniel's prayer is that God be merciful and end the captivity of his people so that they can return to the homeland and start the restoration of Jerusalem the city of God and its temple.

4b.  The grounds of his appeal is just as God was given the glory when God  liberated the people from Egypt so too for the ending of the Babylonian captivity all the glory would be given to him.Their deliverance from exile would show his righteousness and his mercy to his people. Daniel appeal to the fact that Jerusalem is God's city and its deliverance by God would erase the shame and scorn by which it is now seen.In their liberation they would  now be able to restore the temple and resume their worship of him.

4c. God answered Daniel's prayer as the the Babylonians released them to return to Jerusalem.Then the rebuilding of the city  and the restoration of the temple began.

• 2 years later...

Daniel's essential prayer was, 'We have done wrong. We have sinned. Our sins and our ancestors' sins have made YOUR PEOPLE an object of scorn. Turn away your anger. Remember your mercy. We are not righteous--YOU are righteous.' Daniel knew God was all powerful.  Daniel knew God loved His people.  While Daniel was IN PRAYER, His prayer was answered by Gabriel coming to him in swift flight.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Ground for Appeal