JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him? According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it? What did this mean? Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

Jesus didn't want to suffer, ofcourse.

Because He needed to, He did it anyway.

It was the Father's will.

He was so terribly afraid, He asked the Father anyway.

He wasn't resisting the Father's will.

Then He would have left for Egypt or something.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus prayed that the cup be taken from him because he knew what a dreadful death he was soon to suffer, he also knew that only his Father God could change what was to be.

He prayed this prayer 3 times because he needed to be sure of his Father's will and so derive great strength from knowing the joy that would be waiting for him at his ressurection; the joy of being at his Father's side.

I don't think Jesus was resisting- so much as hoping that there could be another way-however, he knew by now that he was to be The Lamb of God---- a sacrifice without blemish---- for our sins. Thankyou dear Lord.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him? According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it? What did this mean? Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

Jesus was not resisting the Father's will, He was just asking if there's another way please let it be. After Jesus kept on hearing His father (God) saying to Him, "No my son this is the only way. You have to be beaten,spilted at,stripped,mocked,crucified,and suffer dead so that men (who is full of evil)can be safe through your blood". Jesus then said to His father Let your will be done.

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. (22:42)

Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him?

According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times.

Why was he so intense about it?

What did this mean?

Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

Jesus asked for the removal of the cup, the symbol of His sufferings because of God

• 1 month later...

Jesus knew he had to drink from the cup of wrath, the cup which was to be poured out on sinners. He was bearing the wrath of God in the sinner's place. Of course he was intense about it - he alone knew the full measure of God's wrath, and the filth and weight of all the sins that would be laid on him. These sins were the ones that separated men from God. He did not want to be separated from God. When Jesus walked on earth, he was all-man, he was not God. Therefore he agonized over drinking from the cup of wrath. He was not resisting the Father's will. He knew this day would come and he was aware of the painful death he had to suffer. He was praying for God's grace and mercy for man, for God's grace for him to go through the painful punishment for man and for himself not to be separated from God.

• 1 month later...

Jesus being 100 percent human means that he didn

• 1 month later...

Q2. (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him?

The cup before Him was very bitter and painful. He was expressing his human side and wondering if there any other way redeem mankind.

According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it?

This was not just wanting to avoid the physical agony of crucifixion, it was also spiritual. The perfect, sinless Son of God would take on the sins of all the world. He was in a perfect relationship with His Father and when he took on the sins of the world, His Father, who is holy, would not be there with Him. Those caused Him unspeakable agony.

What did this mean? Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

He was not resisting or unwilling, He was expressing the unspeakable agony of taking on the punishment for all the sins of the world. In that frame of mind He asked if there was any other way, but if it was the only way to redeem mankind, he would die the most humiliating death for them.

• 8 months later...

Q2. (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him?

I do not know exactly why Jesus prayed this prayer, but I think that Jesus prayed that the Father would take the cup from him, because He was feeling the weight of the wrath of God upon him. He knew that He was going to have to give His life, and be separated from the Father for the sins of the world. He would have to carry the pain and agony of the world, in which, we should have carried, and miss out on His sweet communion with His Father.

According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it?

I believed that Jesus prayed this prayer three times, because of the punishment associated with the wrath of God. He was asking His Father if He was willing for Jesus to avoid the agony of the cross.

What did this mean?

Jesus was asking for the Father for the Father to answer His prayer in the content and intention of His will.

Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

I do not believe Jesus was resisting the Father’s will, but that He was asking is there another way that does not cause them to be separated. He desired and petitioned to do God’s will throughout His whole life and ministry. That is what Jesus displayed throughout His whole life, as a child to His earthly parents, and what He taught His disciples.

• 5 months later...

Yet it was the Lord's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,

and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,

he will see his offspring and prolong his days,

and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand. (Isaiah 53:10 NIV)

Jesus Christ did this to set an example for us. He showed us mere mortals, how we can walk through our insignificant hardships just because Jesus Christ, according to the will of Our Father, walked through the worst, just for us. He, Jesus Christ, has borne all and even worse.for us. "Asking three times".....for me this means if we pray hard enough, we will be able to overcome anything through Our Lord...since nothing is possible for us......in our own strength......but everything is possible through God.

Yet it was the Lord's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,

and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,

he will see his offspring and prolong his days,

and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand. (Isaiah 53:10 NIV)

Jesus Christ did this to set an example for us. He showed us mere mortals, how we can walk through our insignificant hardships just because Jesus Christ, according to the will of Our Father, walked through the worst, just for us. He, Jesus Christ, has borne all and even worse.for us. "Asking three times".....for me this means if we pray hard enough, we will be able to overcome anything through Our Lord...since nothing is possible for us......in our own strength......but everything is possible through God.

• 1 year later...

Jesus prayed to have the cup taken from him because he may have wanted to remove the Father's agony of losing His son. He was so intense because this was the ultimate sacrifice and he wanted to show his humility. Although it sounds like Jesus was resisting the Father's will, He was not because he recognized that it was not his will but God's. He was willing to pay the price but he had to wrestle with it first since he was both fully human and fully God. In his humanity he had no strength to continue but, in his deity, God strengthened so that he might "endure the cross and mark out the race set before us."

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus knew the time had come for Him to drink from cup that was filled with the Father’s wrath. He prayed “3” times to the Father, If you are willing, take this cup from me. Crucifixion was the practice in those days for executing a convicted prisoner. He was about to become a prisoner and knew it. I believe Jesus asked the Father if it was possible that He not have to drink from that particular cup. This thought in itself would cause intensity in prayer, and agonizing. I don’t believe Jesus resisted the Father’s will but sought His will to find if there was another way He could still be the ultimate sacrifice for all mankind, remain in His will and stay pleasing to Him.

• 2 years later...

I am sure that Jesus was overwhelmed by the amount of pain and anguish that was going to be felt. He is human at this point. He was suffering just as we would. It must have been a task that seemed totally impossible to him at the last moment. He did not want to fail the Father at all. He feared what was coming. He was hoping against hope that he wound not have to face this test of his humanity. He had no idea how the Father was still going to love him with all of this sin on his shoulders. He was not resisting the Father's will, he was doing the human thing and asking for help to deal with it. He was basically saying, I really do not want this for myself, but if you need this of me, I am going to do it willingly for you.

• 5 weeks later...

Jesus prayed that the Father take the cup from him because he knew that it would be very painful for him to die for the world. He wanted to make sure that there was no other way for sin to be forgiven. Jesus knew that he and the Father were going to be separated and Jesus wanted to get as close to God as humanly possible.

I don’t that that Jesus was resisting the Father’s will he was just hoping that there would be another way to get rid of the world’s sins.

• 5 months later...

The human side of Jesus,as a man He had a natural aversion to pain and suffering. The cup of Jesus will involve suffering. By going to the cross,he will drink the cup of God's wrath. He will bear divine judgement, which rightfully falls on humanity,past,present and future. He will suffer horribly,both in the physical and spiritual realm as he enters the Period of separation from his father. Jesus will endure the judgement of God because of the sins of others.

Jesus also prays not my will,but your will be done. Jesus appeals to the will of God. Jesus is not against the will of God. He yields to the will of father.

Perhaps Jesus asked the father if the cross was the only means of saving the souls. Could not God in his unlimited power find another way of salvation. Jesus did not resist the cross. He yielded to father's will and offered himself as sacrifice on the cross for the salvation of humanity.

• 4 years later...

Jesus exposed his dread of the coming trials, but he also reaffirmed his commitment to do what God wanted. The cup he spoke of meant the terrible agony he knew he would endure—not only the horror of the crucifixion but, even worse, the total separation from God that he would have to experience in order to die for the world’s sin

• 1 year later...

2a.  Jesus was well aware of his spiritual destiny as the sinners' sacrifice. The preparation of himself for this ordeal was agonizing. It drained him emotionally and taxed him mentally. His only consolation was in prayer. In reverent obedience to his father's sovereign will asking if it can so be the father's desire to take the cup away from him and if not then he will be in obedience to the father's desirous will.

2b.  The immensity of the father's plan its breath and scope seen from a human perspective is more than enough for mortal desperation.This act could not have been borne alone by any human being.The human frame was only the vehicle but the source of strength and power of endurance came from Heaven through Jesus' intense praying. 

2c.  Jesus admonished his disciples that they should be awake and pray so that they may not be overtaken by temptation.Jesus is living and leading them by example as he knows what will be required he can only be victorious through intense praying.

2d.  Jesus was not resisting the father's will since there was an open heart of sincerity of Jesus' dependency his total obedience and his trust in his father's sovereignty.In his praying Jesus gave his total surrender and submission to the Almighty's will. Jesus also set for us an example in how we are to pray.As he was intense and putting all his emotions in praying so should we. Just as he placed his petition secondary to the sovereign will of the father so should we too in our prayers. God's desires should supercede our desires.Just as the quality time and been away alone in prayer so should we strive to emulate him by taking time away from others for our prayers. 

• 2 years later...

Jesus prayed this prayer asking God to 'take this cup' according to the will of God.  His focus was the will of God. Jesus states in John 10:30, "I and the Father are one," being one with God and knowing His will, Jesus was undoubtedly staggered by the weight of sin and by the incredibly heavy task ahead of Him.  Praying the prayer 3 times displays the intensity of it.  When I need to go through a difficult time, I pray the same thing often!  I am not resisting God's will, just trying to get to a place of peace.  I think three times showed the depth of Jesus' resolve.  We know the disciples slept.  Could Jesus have prayed this even more than three times?