JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

He didn't want to endure what He knew was facing Him. He didn't want to be searated from His Tather. The whole thing was going to be terrible and He knew it. He prayed it 3 times, because He didn't want to experience the wrath of God. He wasn't resisting His Father's will, but He did hope there was another way to accomplish His will.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus knew what was going to happen to us in the latter days, this generation. He knew that God's children would still be doing what they were doing when he was teaching in the temple. He knew thay weren't going to find out what happened in the first earth age. How Satan drew a third of God's children (stars) away, from him and they started worshiping Satan, They were all in their spiritual bodies, then. They don't know that they were there, also, They don't know that Satan wanted to sit on the Throne himself, and not be a cherbum, any more, His job was to cover the mercy seat, and he felt he was to good for that.

Revelation 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: ( The woman is Mother Eve, the moon is Satan, the twelve stars are the twelve tribes of Israel.)

(2) And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered. (She was to give birth to Jesus Christ)

(3) And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. ( This is Satan waiting to destroy Jesus).

(4) And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

(5) And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

(Jesus came , died on the cross, was ressurected, and now sits at the right hand of God.)

We need to find out what happened in the Garden of Eden, in order to understand what Satan did there, before we can understand who Jesus was talking to in

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him, When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Who was the FIRST murder? CAIN! Cain slew Able didn't he? Adam was not the type of father who was full of evil. Look at how many times Jesus has warned us about the "TARES"!!!! Jesus is definetly tellin us something.

Matthew 13:25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed "tares" among the wheat, and went his way.

Matthew 13:26 But the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the "tares".

Matthew 13:27 So the servents of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it "tares"?

Matthew 13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the "tares, ye root up also the wheat with them,

Matthew 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Matthew 13:36 Then Jesus sent the multifude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the "tares" of the field.

Matthew 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the "tares are the children of the wicked one;

We need to know who the wicked one is, and we need to find out who is the Father of Cain.

Genesis Chapter3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? (He's asking her a question with a question, He's slick) Remember God told this to Adam, NOT Eve.

(2) And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

(3) But the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

(Where did she get (TOUCH) from? What is she lookiing at? Check out where he was, he was in the midst of the Garden. God never mentioned to Adam about a tree, in the midst of the Garden. Don't forget God uses symbology sometimes when he's telling us something, The tree is the symbology of a man. Have you ever drew a tree with arms, and the roots where the legs?

(4) And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: (he's slick)

(5) For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

(6) And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her: and he did eat.

(She's not looking at a tree She's looking at Satan, that old dragon, the devil, the serpent, DEFACTO, He is there in the Garden looking at her and seducing her!! Not only that, Adam participated in the act also, Uh Oh! I guess we know what the "thereof" is.

(7) And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves to gether, and made themselves aprons.

(They didn't cover their mouths, they covered their private parts, there was no apple involved in this at all. As a matter of fact, the word apple is not even in Chapter 3. The traditions of man, will mislead you, if you listen to him.)

(Remember when Jesus told us to learn the parable of the Fig Tree? They were in the Fig Grove.) Now God has looked for them, and they were hiding, from him, and they tell him they hid because they were naked. He wants to know how they know. Adam puts it on God for giving him the women, and then he put's it on Eve, because she gave it to him.

(13) And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

(know what beguiled means in the Greek, seduced, she was wholly seduced, A Strong's Concordance Dictionary, will help you out with the Hebrew and Greek definitions. You can find it on the Web.

(14) And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

(God told him that he would be lower than a snakes belly, Have you ever met any one like that? He would be nothing but the scum of the earth, Have you ever watched a snake when he's after his prey?

(15) And I will put enmity betwen thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

(Wait a minute, Did God say "thy seed," satan's seed, and the woman's seed. Is he telling us that Eve has concieved, a child by Satan?

(16) Unto the woman he said, I will greatly myltiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

(Yes God has confirmed it , "thy conception", Eve has concieved, and she hasn't known Adam yet. Now we have to go to Chapter 4)

Genesis 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

(2) And she again bare his brother Abel. And Able was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

(Now let's look at this, Eve gave birth to twins, NOT maternal twins, but paternal twins, they had different fathers. Ask any doctor about this and they will confirm it for you, Can a woman have twins by two different men).

Lucifer, that old devil, the serpent , the snake, the wicked one, is the Father of Cain!!! Eve did not have sex with a snake, she was seduced by Satan himself. He was standing in the middle of the Garden, looking at her, and beguiling her,

If you look up Adam's geneaology, you will not find Cain listed as his son start in verse 25 of this book.

The Father of Cain is Satan.

The "tares" are the children of Cain.

The name of the "tares", are Kenites, the offspring of Cain.

Do they exist today? Yes they do, They are in control of the four hidden dynasties, Religion, Politics, Education, Finances, in the book of Revelation. They claim to be from the tribe of Judah, but they are not. See what Jesus has to say about them, when tells us about the Church of Smyrna, and the Church of Philadelphia. He makes it clear about who they are hiding behind, The Jews, they are not of the tribe of Judah, they are the sons and daughters of the Satan, Cain.

See The Shepherds Chapel

Q2. (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him?According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it? What did this mean?Jesus was asking if there was another way for man's redemption to be attained without the cross. Jesus knew what a terrible cup he was faced with, taking on the sins of the whole world and being separated from his loving Father and the Holy Spirit. His asking 3 times shows the severity and seriousness of the task ahead of him and the intensity of his feelings about it.

Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

I don't believe he was resisting the Father's will, he was just asking if there was any other way for the Father's will to be accomplished. Ultimately though he prayed for the Father's willto be done,whatever it would take.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Jesus prayed to the Father in that way because he didn't know the unknown,but yet that did not mean he had fear.I believe he trusted his Father.I believe it is not wrong to go to God and express how you feel.Jesus new he would be seperated from his Father in order to die for the worlds sins I am also sure Jesus felt alone after he found his disiples a- sleep after he asked them to watch and pray.Jesus new then he would be on his own.Jesus was not resisting his Fathers will when he prayed this prayer.Jesus went on with what he new he had to do.His Father gave him the strength he needed.There is know man in this world that could have went through what Jesus went through.Most men would be dead after a beating like Jesus took.How Jesus body survived the horror of the crucifixion,"He new he had to,so he could save the people of the world he so loved.

• 4 months later...

Jesus was not trying to get out of His Mission. It is never wrong to express our true feeling to God, Jesus exposed His dread of the coming trial , but He also reaffirmed His commitment to what God wanted . The Cup He spoke of Meant the terrible agony He knew He would endure - not only horror of the Crucifixion but , even worse , the total seperation from God that He would have to exprience in order to die for the World's sin

• 4 weeks later...

I have always felt that Jesus the man knew the suffering that He was to endure for the sins of the world, past, present and future. The man, weak in the flesh, tried to appeal to His Father to find another way but still, was obedient to the Father's will.

God seems to communicate His intentions to us in 3's (Abraham's plea for Sodom, the Trinity, the Transformation, Peter's vision for Cornelius, et al). This seems to underscore the sobriety of His intentions. Jesus was serious when He prayed here.

In the end, Jesus did obey (GLORY!) and the Father did send an angel to strengthen Him. Perhaps the man Jesus was resisting but the spirit man obeyed.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him? According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it? What did this mean? Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

I think He prayed his kind of prayer because

He wanted the Fathers will above anything else,

He was about to experence something that no one has,

a ever will, experence in in life time.

All the Sins of the world from the begining to the end on Him,

You are right Pastor Ralph, when you said how can we know or

undertand his great love that Jesus had for the Father, and Us.

I'm so glad He loved us, and God made a wonderful plan

for all mankind to pratake in, so we can live with Him forever.

What a wonderful God we

serve...

• 2 months later...

:)

I believe that Jesus prayed the way he did; because he wanted to avoid the cross and what it would mean to both he and the Father. When all the sins of the world would be heaped upon him they would be separated.

His intensed prayer I believed showed more concerned about the Father's will than his own. He prayed again and again to be clear of the Father's will. He really listened. He didn't just say well, "Father we have already discussed this lets just get on with it." Like often times when we pray we just state our desire, not concerned whether it is the Father's deisre or not, we just get up from our prayers without really listening for an answer to our prayers.

Jesus knew the pain that it was going to cost both he and the Father, that is why he was so intense about his prayer.

Jesus was not resisting the Father's will. I believe in essence what he did was demonstrated his love, care and concen for the Father's will. Of course if he could have advoided the cross along with all the sins of the world heaped upon him, I am sure he would have, that's why he asked if there was any other way.

• 1 month later...

Q2.1 (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him?

Q2.2 According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times.

Q2.3 Why was he so intense about it? What did this mean?

Q2.4 Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

A2.1 We really do not know. Perhaps, He was doing His father a favor by letting His father off the hook of Pain as well. Perhaps, he was anguished by the thought of the pains He was going undergo.

A2.2 and A2.3 He was probably making sure that it is really His father's will and being His will, He has to have a guarantee that His efforts and pains will not go to waste at all.

A2.4 He wasn't. He was just making sure of His Father's will before, during and after, thereby ensuring that His efforts and pains will not become futile.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

:(I think Jesus prayed for the Father to take the cup from him because he knew that meant a separation that would take place for a short time between him and the Father when he took our sin upon himself. That is something that we will never have to face, not for a split second.

Jesus was so intense about praying this prayer 3 times because he wanted to be absolutely sure that it was the only way and thereby the Father's will.

This meant it was the Father's will to sacrifice his son on the cross for our sin and they would suffer a separation that was so painfulthat Jesus cried out "My God, My God why have you forsaken me".

Jesus was not resisting the Father's will, he only wanted to be assured this was the only way.

I am so thankful for his sacrifice for us!

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him?

The cup that Jesus was about to drink was that of bearing the sin of the world. Bearing the sin of the world would separate Him from the Father. And Jesus prayed in this manner because He knew that this would bring great grief to the Father.

According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it?

He was so intense about this prayer because he wanted more than anything that the Father's will be done.

What did this mean?

It means that when we pray we ought to submit ourselves to the Father's will.

Jesus knew the purpose of his journey here on earth and gave himself willingly.

• 3 months later...
Q2. (22:42) Why did Jesus pray that the Father take the cup from him? According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it? What did this mean? Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he?

1). He knew of the terrible agony that he would soon endure through the crucifixion would be totally separated from God in order to die for the world's sins.

2). Jesus repeated the prayer three times bearing the sin of the world would separate Him from the Father. It would bring great grief to the Father and wanted more than anything that the Father's will be done.

3). It means that when we pray we ought to submit ourselves to the Father's will.

4). Jesus wasn`t resisting the Father's will, he was just asking if there was any other way for the Father's will to be accomplished and man's redemption to be attained without the cross. Ultimately, he prayed for the Father's will to be done.

• 1 month later...

This was not something that Jesus was looking forward to. He knew what type of death HE was about to face - the shame, humility, pain and agony, and the separation from the Father. Is there any other way we can save the world than this? He was in the process of dying to self. There has rarely been a time that I had to die to self that it isn't done kicking and screaming "I don't want to do this. Isn't there another way?" Christ was dealing with HIS human side. I can't say that HE was really resisting the Father's will. Jus maybe looking for another way to do it. But with every prayer HE said "nevertheless not my will but thine."

• 3 months later...

I don't really know or understand why Jesus asked the Father to take this cup from Him. The obvious reason is the pain and suffering and ultimately feeling the full wrath of God being laid against Him. That is why I would ask God to take the cup from me. However, Jesus did know His purpose and the divine plan for Him.

Just a thought, but maybe this was the last attempt by satan to discourage Jesus from carrying out His purpose and Jesus turned to His Father for help. Jesus did tell the disciples to get up and pray so that they did not fall into temptation.

Jesus was so intense about it because the situation He was facing and about to endure was intense beyond our limited imaginations. No one on this planet can begin to understand being sacrificed for the sins of this world, being sinless and from heaven, and having the wrath of God pointedly and singularly poured on them. Jesus did.

Jesus was not resisting the Father's will. Jesus was fully man and God. I think the human side of Jesus was under great pressure from different sources and Jesus poured His heart out to His Father who send an angel to strengthen Him.

• 6 months later...

He was asking that there be no sepration between Him and the Father for the pain of seperation caused by carrying our sins was more than He wanted to bear. He was intense because it meant so much to Him to do the Father's will yet carrying sin would cause the Father to turn from Him and this He did not want. Jesus never resisted the Father but died a painful death to fulfill the Father's plan for man that our sins could be forgiven. He obeyed to the point of death even death on the cross. Resistance never entered the mind of Christ only the desire to not be seperated from the Father.

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus knew the pain and suffering that he would be going through. The very nature of man would be to avoid it if at all possible. He may have also considered the pain that his suffering would put his Father in.

His prayer was repeated three time to show his great need and fervancy. Jesus was sincere and very intense regarding his situation. Jesus was not resisting His Father's will because He presented His petition and then submitted to His will.

• 1 month later...

Jesus was just wanting to make sure that He and His Father were on the same page. If there were some other way to get this done, etc. He wasn't resisting The Father's will, He was just wanting to make sure there was no other way. It was always His intention to carry out His Father's will. How many times when we pray, do we ask several times"does it have to be like this" or "do I have to give that up"? Remember, Jesus was in the flesh just like us. He experienced the same things that we do, so that He would be better able to help us. He understands what we feel and experience, cause He's been there, too. He never sinned, but He knew what it was like to be tempted, and that info is what He uses when He goes to The Father on our behalf! That is so exciting, when you stop and think about it!

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Jesus prayed that the Father take the cup from him as a "request" because he knew the gravity of what he was going to be enduring. He understood the sins of mankind and he understood the heavy weight he would be bearing. He was just expressing his deep desire to "make sure this was the only way...."

According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it? What did this mean?

He was intense about it because what he was about to do would change the course of humanity forever...and that was a heavy load to carry. He was simply petitioning the Father ...drawing near to what the Father desired...

Why was Jesus resisting the Father's will? Or was he? I don't believe he was resisting the Father's will...more to the point, he was emphatically stating..."not my will, but yours be done..." He was declaring that he was going to uphold the Father's will...over his (in a sense) own (human will)....

I believe the weight of sin was beginning to manifest itself, and He was asking if there was any other way to fulfill the will of the Father other than the cross. He was fully God, but also fully human. The cross was a disgraceful way to die, and a heinous torturous death. His humanity shrunk from it, as ours would!He had never been separated from His Father from way back in Eternity, and the cross would separtate them, as the Father could not look upon the sin as His wrath was poured out on "the perfect lamb" for my sins.

According to Mark and Matthew, Jesus repeated this prayer three times. Why was he so intense about it?

It was crucial to do this thing in a fully surrendered way. No wavering, no looking back, no trying to come down from the cross once He was fastened to it. I believe that each time He prayed, He became more in tune with what was awaiting Him and what He was to do and say to fulfill the many prophecies about the cross. In Jewish law there had to be 3 witnesses to a matter. It may be symbolic in some way, or may be the length of time it took for Him to surrender His will completely to the Father.

What did this mean?

I think it meant that He was hoping there was another way to do the Father's will, than to carry the weight of the world's sins on His body, and to hang there on a public thoroughfare naked, before His Mother and His sisters...everyone that He knew. The cup of suffering or judgment is mentioned in the Old Testament, as "being drunk to the dregs". I think even His prayer was the fulfillment of O.T. prophecy. It means also that He was fully human...truly the High Priest Who can understand our weaknesses. It would seem odd to me, if He had run to the cross with no shrinking back..if that were the case, I doubt that He could really understand my shrinking back from difficult things.

I don't think He was resisting the Father's will. I think He was so in tune with the Father, that after the agony of prayer He would do anything and everything the Father asked of Him.

Jesus prays this prayer as He starts to feel the weight of what is about to happen to Him. For the first time in His mortal life, Jesus seems to be asking something for Himself. We must bear in mind that Jesus is not only Jesus, but part of the Triune God. Consider that He not only feels the dread of a very unpleasant death that is about to come to Him as the one that is about to endure those hours of torture, but also as the Father and the Spirit of that person. Because Jesus is part of the Trinity, He is said to pray this prayer three times in the other gospels - perhaps once as Jesus, once as the Father, and once as the Holy Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

Because Jesus didn't want to die he was hoping that God would make a way where there seems to be no way. He prayer 3 times because he was so intense also the sweat was as if great drops of blood. He was resistant to dying if there was any other way but he always said and meant that his Father's will be done.

• 7 months later...

Jesus was man here on earth like us and therefore identified how we in the natural would feel. Would we want to go through death like he faced? I don't think so.

I do not believe he was resisting his Father's will, rather he was feeling the intensity of what he had to carry - the sins of the whole world and in his humanity he knew the pain he would have to endure.

• 1 month later...

a) I BELIEVE THIS WAS JESUS'S WAY OF SHOWING HIS DESCIPLES HOW TOUGH THINGS CANGET SOMETIMES BUT THAT THEY SHOULD NOT GIVE UP BUT PRESS IN

B) I THINK HE WAS SHOWING THAT EVEN IF WHEN WE PRAY WE DON'T GET AN IMMEDIATE ANSWER OR EVEN THE ANSWER WE DESIRE WE SHOULD STAY HUMBLE AND CONTINUE TO PRESS IN OR IT COULD BE THAT BY THE INTENSITY HE WAS BRING THE HUMAN WILL UNDER SUBJECTION TO THE WILL OF GOD

C) IT COULD MEAN THT THE HUMAN IN HIM WAS RESISTING THE WILL OF THE FATHER AS HE WAS VERY MAN AND VERY GOD

D) I DON'T THINK HE WS RESISTING BUT HE WAS QUITE AWARE OF THE TASK AHEAD AND HE KNEW IT WOULD NOT BE EASY BUT HE HUMBLED HIM SELF TO THE CALL

• 4 months later...

Jesus was dealing with spiritual darkness and temptation as well. It was never should I or should I not; the will of the Father is something that Jesus followed throughout his life.

Jesus prayer was so intense because he had the weight of the world's sin on His sinless body. He understood that he must shed his blood to free us from sins through repentance. Jesus knew that he must go through physical pain and the seperation from the Father was not an easy task.

Jesus wasnot resisting the Father "He ask if it be your will please take this burden from me. Jesus also prayed"Father let your will be done and not mines"

I cant imagine his pain, no one will ever know. He saved us from sin and damanation. So that we can choose to serve Him or the little god.

Patricia