JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Prayer of Submission

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity?

I think yes - the Father wants us to submit completely to His will.

We can tell Him our wishes and ask if the

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that God must have always been pleased with Jesus in all that he did. He would be pleased that Jesus was willing to "trust and obey ". Just as Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son Isaac--- because he trusted that all would be well according to God's promises-- so Jesus trusted his Father to bring him through victorious over sin and death.

If we are passive and dispassionate in our prayers that His will be done---we are not aware enough of what we are surrendering

To be authentic in our prayer of submission, we have to seriously contemplate what it is we are going to give up in order to submit our will, or as we progress we will learn the hard way later on, we may even give up and fail because we did not give enough thought to the degree of difficulty involved. We need to stick close to the Father so that we can realise that through him all things are possible, if it is his will.

• 4 months later...

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity?

The Father was pleased with Jesus pray. The Father is not please when we come to Him always asking for our fleshly desires. He wants us to spend time with Him, worshiping Him and then humbly bringing our case to Him. God knows whats best for us and therefore He will give it to us. We are to submit ourself to Him daily, have a relationship with Him, have faith in Him and let His will be done upon us.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (22:42)

When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased?

Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done?

What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity?

Jesus completely submitted to the will of His Heavenly Father. His prayer was that if the Father was willing, this cup might pass from Him; nevertheless He wanted the will of God to be done, not His own. Jesus asked if there was any other way by which sinners can be saved than by Him going to the cross, would God reveal it

• 1 month later...

When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Yes, the Father was pleased when Jesus prayed for His will to be done. Although Jesus preferred for the cup to be removed, he still yielded wholeheartedly to the Father's plan.

Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? When we are passive, uncaring and dispassionated in our prayers that his will be done, God is not pleased because we are not even bothered about the way we are to pray. It is as if we are saying "what will be will be". We do not bother to find out about his character, his promises, his names, the way he has answered prayers in the past, and make our petitions accordingly.

What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity? We can go to God and tell him what we want. However, we must surrender our desires to God. God may choose not to answer our requests or the answer may be completely unexpected. Whatever the outcome may be, we must be willing to accept it and know that God's answer is always the best even though we may not understand or like it.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Yes! Because this meant the possible redemption of all humanity.

Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? We are not truly seeking to do His will. We are passing the buck. Many times our prays have a great effect upon important decision. By praying with earnest our prayers can change the world, because this is His will that we pray with faith in God.

What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity? Set aside our agenda, plans, and agenda. Ask the Holy Spirit to examine us and to test our hearts and thoughts. This is hard, because He is faithful to show us if we have an hidden agenda. Acting from a surrendered position enables God to use us within His plan.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased?

The Father was very pleased to see His Son give up His will for the good of mankind. His humility and willingness to surrendered to the plan of the Father pleased His heart. Jesus gave up what was convenient or beneficial for Him.

Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done?

When we are passive and uncaring, we are very self centered and really only care about our small little world. God can't use us until we begin to engage.

We need to understand, know and express our will, our dreams and desires and then give them up. That is true submission. It is important to know ourselves before we can give ourselves up.

• 8 months later...

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased?

Yes, because Jesus is surrendering His will to His Father. He is humbly submitting to the Father’s will for His life.

The Father is not pleased with our prayers that His will be done when we are passive, uncaring, and dispassionate, because we are selfishly praying to Him.

When we pray like this we are not looking for God’s will or His best for us. We are only asking for God to give us something, and we are not asking from the heart or do we care about what He wants for us. We have the mentality that we tell God what we want and He is suppose to answer.

This is not the right attitude. To have the “mind of Christ” we are to seek God’s will for our lives daily in every area.

To pray the prayer of submission with authenticity we are to come before a Holy God humbly, surrendering to His Will and His way.

• 1 year later...

The Father was pleased because put His will under the authority of the Father's will. We must be passionate about the Father's will if we really want to receive what is best for us. In order to fall in line with the Father's will we must first pray for what we want then surrender it to the Lord. If our will aligns with the Father's we will receive with full joy. If not, at least we did not pretend to car about the Father's will when we were really just selfish and religious. We must live in true relationship as the children of God and living to please the Father.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the Father was pleased because Jesus had already opened up about how he felt before submitting himself to the Father’s will. Being passive, uncaring or dispassionate in our prayers shows an apathetic spirit. A quick word to get it over with is not a true relationship of expressing desires and individual wills. Jesus was not quick in this. He openly agonized in these moments and gave himself wholeheartedly over to the Father’s will. To be one with the Father is to be as Jesus was on earth and is now in heaven. To pray as Jesus did we have to be in total submission to the Father’s will even if our will is for a different desire of things to come.

• 2 years later...

The Father was always pleased with His Son. The Father wants us to let him know what is on our minds. He wants us to use the brains that he gave us to think and feel for ourselves. He wants to be able to help us grow. If we constantly do things that God wants without even thinking, we are not growing or maturing.

There has to be an open discussion of what we want and why we want it. Then we can go to the Father and openly express our wants and let him know that we will do it his way whatever that may be. We are allowing ourselves to have a learning moment with the Father this way.

• 1 month later...

When Jesus prayed “not my will, but yours be done,” the Father was pleased. If we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done then we are only wanting God to do our will. So we should tell God what our will is and then we should listen to what His will is and do what He guides to do.

• 5 months later...

Jesus prayed to Father " to take the cup from me,yet not my will but thine will be done". Jesus yielded to the father's will. Father was pleased.

We make own plans,own decisions and then ask God to put the approval stamp on them. But when God reveals His will which is not in line with the plan and decisions we made,we still go ahead and reap the consequences.

Our prayers should not be passive but pray with all sincerity present our requests and petitions and tell God what is in our mind, ask him to accomplish His purposes and will. We should be prepared and willing to accept God's will and decision whatever the outcome may be, because God's answer and will towards our situations is the best.

• 4 years later...

1. When Christ was in his agony, there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. It was a part of his humiliation that he was thus strengthened by a ministering spirit. 2. Being in agony, he prayed more earnestly. Prayer, though never out of season, is in a special manner seasonable when we are in an agony. 3. In this agony his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down. This showed the travail of his soul. We should pray also to be enabled to resist unto the shedding of our blood, striving against sin, if ever called to it. When you dwell in imagination upon the delights of some favourite sin, think of its effects as you behold them here! See its fearful effects in the garden of Gethsemane, and desire, by the help of God, deeply to hate and to forsake that enemy, to ransom sinners from whom the Redeemer prayed, agonized, and bled

• 1 year later...

3a. " Not my will but yours be done"the father was very pleased with this prayer as Jesus had first petition " Father if you are willing take this cup from me." God's pleasing nature in the prayer is seen as immediately angels were sent to administer and to strengthen him. His prayer is answered not according to his petition but in the way Sovereign Father deemed most befitting for his upcoming ordeal.

3b.  When we pray passive uncaring and dispassionate prayer "thy will be done" it is not engaging the source of divine spiritual power with fervent prayer. There are many many biblical examples where people and prophets called the Almighty in prayer and what the father was about to do he relented because his character as a Just and Righteous God...but he is also the compassionate God ....when called upon by his people  who is most Forgiving....most Gracious in Grace and most Merciful with his  Mercies. Genuine confession and repentance can't be half hearted.The repentant must accept passionately responsibility for sinning. In asking for God's forgiveness one has to be bold with confidence in approaching his throne of grace and mercy for the Almighty to gracious and generous in that though we are deserving "Thy will be done."that he will in his  mercies do otherwise unto us.We plead for his mercy passionately praying for him to still his mighty hand.And whatsoever is the outcome we still humble ourselves to his sovereign will over us.

3c. To pray the prayer of submission with authenticity i am reminded about when Abraham stood reverently before God pleading the case from fifty righteous people in Sodom down to ten souls. From the total destruction of the city as was told to Abraham God relented. Authenticity in submissive praying requires a reverence of boldness.The prayer's obedience and faith and devotion to the Sovereignty of God will is unshakeable.In prayer their is a depth of intimacy. In their prayer of submission there is the bold confidence in asking for specific spiritual virtues,divine intervention and deliverance for healing and saving. These petitions are seen as already done ...granted before they have  finished praying.In their praying there is that spiritual boldness of persistence prayer that the specifics of what is asked is granted as it is the will of God. 

• 2 years later...

Q3. (22:42) When Jesus prayed "not my will, but yours be done," was the Father pleased? Why is the Father not pleased when we are passive and uncaring and dispassionate in our prayers that his will be done? What is required for us to pray the prayer of submission with authenticity? 

I believe the Father was pleased with Jesus' prayer as he prayed this with such intense passion that drops of blood fell from His face.  Throughout His Word, God makes clear that He is not impressed with sacrifices and trivial stuff--what He really wants is a contrite heart. Isaiah 57:15, "For this is what the high and exalted One says— he who lives forever, whose name is holy: “I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite." Isaiah 66:2, "Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the Lord. “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word."  We are required to be humble and bold as we submit.  Hebrews 4:12-16 "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."