JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Call of Isaiah

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

He saw God in His majesty and holiness and said "I am ruined!" He saw his sin and uncleanness, and that of those he lived among.

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Isaiah was a prophet of God, who heard God's words and relayed them to the people of Israel....When he saw God's holiness and his own sin and those of the people he regularly prophesied to, he may have feared he and the unholy people being rejected by God and cast aside...with no hope of redemption.

How does God make Isaiah holy?

He took a coal from the altar and "cleansed" Isaiah's mouth, lips, words. The seraph said " See this has touched your lips. Your guilt is taken away and your sins atoned for."

What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar?

In Isaiah's time it symbolizes the sacrifice of the burnt offering on the altar. Ultimately it foreshadowed, the shed blood of Jesus for our cleansing and remission of sin on the cross.

Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

Renewed and restored and comforted, he said "Here am I, send me."

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

All the years when Uzziah was the king of Judah, he was magnified in everyone’s eyes. But the year he died, Isaiah saw the Lord in all His glory and He became magnified in Isaiah’s eyes. When he saw the Lord and saw Him in all His holiness, Isaiah was keenly aware of his own sinfulness. He was declaring woe to the nations in the previous chapters, but the sight of the Lord, made him to declare woe is me!! We usually compare our holiness with other mortals who is not a right standard to measure. But in terms of God’s holiness, all men fall short, for all of our righteousness will be like filthy rags before His holy presence.

Bible says, no flesh can see God and live. Moreover, he was also aware of his own sinfulness before the holiness of God. He was afraid that he would die, in the presence of the holy and awesome God. John 12:41 says this vision of the glorious God was the vision of the pre-incarnate Christ whom Isaiah saw.

When he became aware of his own sinfulness and cried out woe is me, the Lord made the seraphim to carry live coal from the altar with tongs and touch his lips and purified him of his iniquity. And declared that his sin was atoned for and his guilt was taken away.

It was at the brazen altar that atonement for sin was made. No strange fire could be offered at the brazen altar. Our atonement for sin was also done, when our Lord took upon Himself the fire of God’s wrath was hurled at Him for the propitiation of the sins of the world. Moreover, fire speaks of cleansing and refining. Gold is purified by fire. With intense heat the dross is removed. Gold is heated up till the reflection of the goldsmith can be seen in the melted gold. This indicates the gold’s purity. Same is true for us. Through refining, our God wants to see Himself in us.

Free of sin and guilt the response from Isaiah was to be of service to the Lord. He wanted to serve God in any way he could and he says, Here I am send me!!!

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2006 at 7:10 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

(Isaiah 6:5)  "Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts." In the presence of God's holiness, Isaiah's sin/uncleanliness becomes more apparent than ever and he realizes he is not worthy to stand before God in his mortal flesh. He is afraid that he would die in His presence. 

(Isaiah 6:6-7) "Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged." The coal from the altar is a symbol of purification. Isaiah's sin is taken away and he is made holy.

Isaiah heard God asking, "Whom shall I send?" and he answered, "Here am I; send me."

• 11 months later...

Isaiah realizes how unclean and unholy he is compared to God He realizes he is sinful and evil. 

Isaiah knows that no none can see God and live; and he is afraid.

God has one of the cherubim touch his lips with a live coal and take his sin away.

The live coal represents the burnt offering consumed on the altar and also points to the Holy Spirit and Jesus sacrifice for us on the cross. Only by turning our lives over to Him can we be freed of all sin and impurity.

Isaiah answers Gods' call and says "Here I am send me."

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2006 at 11:10 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The realization of God's holiness caused Isaiah to recognize his sinfulness.  He admits with his "Woe is me! for I am undone because I am a man of unclean lips ..." that he had offended in words.

Having seen the King, the LORD of hosts, Isaiah thought that he was now going to die, and so was afraid. Judges 13: 22 reads :And Manoah said unto his wife, we shall surely die, because we have seen God. In Judges 6: 22 Gideon expressed the very same sentiment.

God made Isaiah holy by having one of the seraphim take a live (burning) coal from the altar and touched his lips.

The coal from the altar symbolises the precious blood of Jesus Christ. just as Isaiah's iniquity was taken away and his sin purged by the coal touching his lips, even so when we come into contact with the blood of Jesus, we are cleansed from our sins.

Now made holy - dedicated to God - Isaiah's response to God was "Here am I, send me" without any hesitation, which denotes his readiness and willingness to be in the service of God.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2006 at 10:10 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy?  Isaiah realized just how unclean, and sinful he was when he came in the presence of the Holy One, God. He is afraid because he believed that God would be displeased to have such a sinner come before Him.  To cleanse and purify Isaiah, a seraph takes a coal from the altar and wipes his mouth with it, thereby removing him of sins.  

What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God? The coal represented a sin offering that was made to God and this helped to cleanse Isaiah of all his sin, and to prepare him to serve God. Once he realizes that his sins have been atoned for, Isaiah is confident and ready to serve God.

• 6 months later...

Isaiah had a deep overwhelming concern over his current condition not what he has done or not done.

Reason why he is afraid is due to a belief of his time that if one saw God -one would die.  But we see here there is no death sentence.  Due to God's holiness, Isaiah felt unclean, undone, and corrupt.

One of the seraphim came to Isaiah with a live coal to touch his lips. It was a sign to him of assurance that the message he just heard about being cleansed was true.

Isaiah answered the call of God quickly. He wasnot slow to obey like Moses, Barack, Gideon,  Jeremiah,Jonah, and Peter.   Prophet Ezekiel wrote that the hand of God would get a hold of him and transport him to Jerusalem.   The depths of ? love in the hearts of Isaiah and Ezekiel.   Now that we have the Holy Spirit we can also be quick in season and out of season as preachers and prayer warriors.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Call of Isaiah
  • 3 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?
Isaiah realizes that he is unclean, and uncleanliness in the sight of God is considered wicked. 

Why is Isaiah afraid? 
Isaiah is afraid because he has now seen God’s face and no one can see Gods face and not die.

How does God make Isaiah holy?  
Isaiah is made holy when the seraphs touch his lips with the burning coal that cleanses and takes away Isaiah’s guilt. 

What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? 
I think the coal from the altar symbolizes Jesus who would later come and take away all our sins by the shedding of His blood.

Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God? 
Here I am LORD send me.