JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Call of Isaiah

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

The realisation of God's holiness made Isaiah to see his uncleaness nature. He realised that he is not worthy to come before God because of his sins and he became afraid.

Isaiah was afraid because he noticed that he was too dirty to come before God and knew that he had offended God. He was afraid of God's judgement that says that the soul that sinneth shall die.

God made Isaiah holy by sending one of the seraphims with a live coal in his hands which he has taken with tongs from the alter.With it he touched Isaiahs mouth and declared that his sins has been taken away and sins atoned for.

The symbolism of the coal from the alter is to clean isaiah from guilt and sin.

Isaiah responds to Go's call with his whole heart.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah? Why is Isaiah afraid? How does God make Isaiah holy? What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar? Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

Isaiah was awe struck when he realized that he was in the presence of the All Mighty and the Glory of his presence was frightening because he saw the Seraphim with their eyes covered and knew from the Law that anyone who saw God's face would die. He knew that to be in the presence of God who was Holy made him more ashamed by his sinfulness and the sinfulness of his people. He was made to be Holy in the presence of God by the burning coal burning his sins away. The fire was a symbol from the offering of sacrifices on the alter. Burning the sacrifice move the sins of the people for another year. Isaiah responds the way He should by dedicating his life to service to God. Once purified He was willing to do for God anything that he could to show the people that God could cleanse them to and make them worthy to be in the presence of God and live and to proclaim like the Seraphim that God is Holy,Holy, Holy.

• 2 weeks later...

It affect Isaiah because he now see his short comming-his sinful ways.

Isaiah was afraid because he though that any one that see God face would die.

God made Isaiah holy because he denounced his uncleaaness and repent of his sins.

Coals from the altar symbolize the guilt of Isaiah that was taken away.

Isaiah respond to God by answering to God's call. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

It effect Isaiah by letting him have a vision of the LORD. He was on his throne high above. Isaiah was afraid because he has seen a flaming creature with six wings each were flying over him, GOD makes Isaiah holy by seening the King, the LORD ALL Powerful. Isaiah response to GOD is sins are forgiven, and Isaiah said that he will go and speak this message to the people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A realization of God's holiness made Isaiah's own "unholiness" more apparent, like white looks so very white when it is held against something black.

Isaiah is afraid because I believe his Hebrew training has taught him that no one can see God and live, especially anyone so unclean as himself.

However, God cleanses Isaiah and makes him holy by touching a coal from the altar to his lips, the lips that reveal the sinfulness of his heart.

The symbolism of the coal from the altar, I believe is this: a coal from the altar would be the remnants of a sacrifice, which, as we are aware, God requires a blood sacrifice for sin. This sacrifice is what makes us holy. In the believer's case, Christ is our sacrifice, our "coal."

Isaiah responds to God by volunteering to go where He sends and to serve the King.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It effects Isaiah in the way that he feels due to his unholiness in his living and by his words, Isaiah is afraid because he feels unworthy and after seeing the Lord he will be dealt with severly.

God makes Isaiah holy by sending the angel with a piece of coal from the altar and placing it to his lips in which his quilt was taken away and his sins were atoned for.

When the Lord asked who he could send Isaiah surrendered himself to the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

Isaiah freaks out when he realizes that he is in presence of the Holy God. As a jew, he perfectly knew that nobody was able to stand before the holy God and stay alive, because nobody is holy as God is. So, Isaiah is afraid of dying right after this vision. However, God himself gets in charge of the situation and provides the remedy, which is cleaning Isaiah

Isaiah says "Woe is me", which shows he is frightened, he is condemned because of his unclean lips, to be in the presence of the most High and Holy God.

He is afraid because he is in the presence of God and he is a sinner not worthy to be in his presence.

God has the seraphim touch his lips with a burning coal and burns away his inequity and takes away his sin

The coal from the alter is a symbol of Christ.

He tells God here I am, take me. He is obedient to what God will have him do.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing the Lord and listening to praise of the angels , Isaiah realized that he was sinful before God , with no hope of measuring up to God's standard of Holiness. When Isaiah's lips were touched with a live burning coal, however , he was told that his sins were forgiven . It wasn't the coal that cleansed him , but God . In responsne , Isaiah submitted himself entirely to God's service .

Before we accept God's call to speak to those around us , we must be cleansed as Isaiah was , confessing our sins and submitting to God's control. Letting God purify us may be painful , but we must be purified so that we can represent God , Who is Pure and Holy.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

Realizing that he was in the presence of a holy God Isaiah confessed his condition. He felt unworthy and remorseful for the condition of his heart. The Bible teaches that out of the heart the mouth speaks.

"...how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance

of the heart the mouth speaketh." (Matt. 12:34 KJV)

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Having seen the Lord, Isaiah was afraid because he knew that no man ever saw God and lived.

"And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken:

for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.

And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.

And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim

the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious,

and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

(Exodus 33:17-20 KJV)

Isaiah was fearful for his life.

How does God make Isaiah holy?

Using the coal from the altar, God directed an angel to touch Isaiah's lips and he was made holy.[/b]

What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar?

In Holy of Holies stood the golden altar of incense. It

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

One spot of dirt among others spots of dirt doesn

As Isaiah sees the Lord, The Holy and Righteous One, seated on His throne, he is filled with breathtaking awe as he tries to understand the majesty of His splendor. The full force of it hits him in verse 5, where he cries, "Woe to me!...I am ruined!" The KJV uses the word undone, rather than ruined, here. While both are acurate, I feel the KJV provides a quality absent in the NIV. This would be sickening feeling of vulnerability, of nakedness, if you will.

Hebrews 4:12-13 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

It's at this point that Isaiah is probably cringing, just anticipating even just the Lord's gaze to rip apart every unknown, inky shadow within his heart and leave him as a steaming, vaporized pile of ashes. The method God chooses to use here to purify Isaiah is a rather painful method. I think that God perhaps uses this to symbolize that being holy as He is holy can at times be painful. As Isaiah shows, this pain is nothing compared to the pain of remaining defiled and dead in sin beneath the gaze of perfect holiness.

Romans 12:1 Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God. This is your spiritual act of worship. (or as the KJV says "which is your reasonable service" *)

*Just a side note on the KJV: I really love this version here, because it is so much more accurate! Although being a living sacrifice is an act of worship, it should not be credited to us. We could spend our whole lives devoted to holiness and worship, yet we would still remain in debt to the price we were bought back for. The love the moved God to pay such an unrepayable price is so incredible that we can never even see the biggest things we "do for God" even register on His scale!

So back to Isaiah...Wow. The symbolism of the coal is so beautiful, and is really summed up in this verse. When we look back to Old Testament times, buring sacrifices on the altar was a huge part of worship, purification, redemption, you name it. The coals from the altar were what enabled the sacrifices to rise before God as a pleasing aroma. The coals were what consumed, or accepted the sacrifice. The coals were also the fuel for the sacrifice, what allowed it to keep buring and to continue to be offered up to God. Now, when we translate this to Isaiah, we see that he is what the coals are being applied to. Isaiah was really the first living sacrifice! Then in verse 8, we see that imediately after becoming a sacrifice, he is called to the work of God.

Now applying this to us, present day is the exciting part. Because of the Lord's mercy, we are giving access to God's alter. As we allow ourselves to daily become living sacrifices, the coals of God's altar are also purifying us, making us more that acceptable in the light of His holiness. Though this is a painful process at times, we can be filled with joy in His presence. Another extremely important thing to note is that the coals are what fuels the sacrifice--NOT us. At times, we feel the coals are too painful or too hot, so we go off and try to find a more comfortable altar, made to an idol--something we have placed above God in our lives. At times, we simply try to burn on our own, apart from God's refining, purifying fire. And then we wonder why we aren't "on fire for God" like we used to be?

Hebrews 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.

a-B)

Isaiah panicked! He knew the Law in which it was said that if a sinner sees God face-to-face he will die. He realized how holy God is and howe sinful he himself was.

Isaiah knew that if a sinner sees the "more holy than the holiest holiness" (CJB) God face-to-face is doomed. And there he is, seeing God face-to-face himself. His only thought was probably, "OK, I am dead!!!"

c)

One of the seraphim took a live coal from the altar and came to Isaiah. He touched Isaiah's lips with the live coal and said: "Here! This has touched your lips. Your iniquity is gone, your sin atoned for." (CJB)

d) The live coal came from an altar (altar of incense or altar for the burned offerings). A fire was burning, as the coal was live (glowing hot). Fire is a almost always a symbol of purification.

McGee states that the coal also symbolizes the death of Christ, because it is Christ's death that cleanses and saves us ("Thru the Bible Commentary, J. Vernon McGee, 1981).

Isaiah had pointed out a specific sin, "unclean lips". The seraphim touched Isaiah's lips with the live coal and so Isaiah was cleansed of this sin.

e)

Isaiah, after having been cleansed, heard God speak:

Then I heard the voice of Adonai saying, "Whom should I send? Who will go for us?" (Isaiah 6:8a)

His immediate response was devotion and dedication. He said, "Here I am! Send me!" (Isaiah 6:8b)

• 3 weeks later...

Isaiah starts to feel unclean abd unworthy. He is afraid of God's judgement and that now that he has seen God in all His Glory isaiah would now die. The coal symbolizes the forgiveness of our transgeressions. Isaiah is eager to please God and be obedient.

In the presence of God's holiness, Isaiah realized how unclean and unholy he was. He understood that even the people he surrounded himself with were not worthy to be close to God. He was afraid because his experience was like no other. He was in the presence of the living, holy God and he realized how totally inadequate his attempts to be righteous really were.

A heavenly being (seraphim) takes a live coal and touches it to Isaiah's lips. This is symbolic of the holy fire from God which cleanses all it touches. He is told that his sin is now completely atoned for and forgiven. Isaiah's response is to immediately volunteer for whatever God has ready for him to do. He knows he has been made clean and he is ready to serve God.

• 4 months later...

"All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God". Isaiah realized when in God's presence his own ungodliness. He thought he would die because God cannot have sin in His presence. But God cleansed him, and the coal was the symbol of that cleansing.Once dedicated to God, Isaiah gave himself to Him.

In the song Offering by Third Day it says

This is my offering, dear Lord

This is my offering to You, God

And I will give You my life

For it

• 2 months later...

Isaiah's realization of God's holiness made him also realize his own sinful condition. He was scared because he was in the presense of the Holy and Powerful Living God.

God has a seraphim place a live coal on his mouth and his guilt was taken away and his sin atoned for.

Isaiah responds to God by giving himself to God for service. He presents himself to God.

• 1 month later...

In realizing that God is holy Isaiah recognizes his own unholiness, just as a small light even in the darkest cave illumines much, thus God

• 3 weeks later...

Isaiah feels guilty and not worthy to be before the Righteous One. He is afraid of the Lord because He is a consuming fire, He is God who is holy. So that He can commision him and take away the guilt in his heart. The Holy Spirit. He feels he can also be sent by God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Isaiah 6:1-8) How does a realization of God's holiness affect Isaiah?

As Isaiah came to see, and to understand the holiness of God, he now could see, it was made clear

his own unworthiness! How could he join in the praise to God who is so holy?

Why is Isaiah afraid?

Isaiah understood the state he was in, he has sinned, he is ruined, and because of the state he was in, he would perish!

How does God make Isaiah holy?

The seraphin took a living coal, a hot coal from God's altar of burnt offering, and placed it upon his mouth,

the part Isaiah said was unclean, as were the peoples lips he dwelt with.

What is the symbolism of the coal from the altar?

The symbolism of the hot coal is seen in the living sacrifice placed upon God's altar, the cross.

We see the ultimate sacrifice for all mankind was completed by the Son, who came to touch our hearts with the True Living coal

from the altar of God.

Now made holy -- dedicated to God -- how does Isaiah respond to God?

Isaiah's response was quick, "here am I, send me!"

Isaiah knew the condition of the people around him, they were of unclean lips, as Isaiah once was.

Once we come to the knowledge of what God has done for us, through His Son, how could we not want to

go forth with the Good News? Touch our hearts Lord with the hot coals from your altar, for our lips speak

of the things from the heart. :unsure: