JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. God Our Shield

Names of God: Lesson 7

Q2. (Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield? In what ways is he our glory? In what ways is he "the lifter up of my head"? What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?

Psalm 3:3 (NLT):

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Psalm 91)

What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9).

What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?

Rest in the shadow of the Almighty; Trust in God; Dwell in the Most High.

Shelter, shadow, refuge, fortress, cover with feathers, His wings, faithfulness, shield, rampart, dwelling, guard, protector.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=435

Q2. (Psalm 3:3)

In what ways is God a shield?

He protects us from all harm and all evil.

In what ways is he our glory?

He gives us honour and dignity.

In what ways is he "the lifter up of my head"?

God encourages and exalts us.

What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?

This teaches me that our Heavenly Father is always there for us and that we cannot live or function properly without Him

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

Q2. (Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield? In what ways is he our glory? In what ways is he "the lifter up of my head"? What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?

Psalm 3:3 But you, O Lord, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.

A shield protects you from attacks. Our Lord is our protector, He is the shield. He is our glory, because we are made complete is Him. God lifts my head high. I can face the world with head high, because God removed my sin and shame, through the blood of Jesus. God is in control of all things, even the bad ones. I have learned to just put whatever it is in God's hands and let go, that is the important part, to let go. It took a long time to learn this, but now I have peace.

• 4 months later...

God is a shield around us to protect us. A shield was either small or large to protect the body,and the bearer could hold it in front of him, but his back would still be unprotected. God is much more, He is a shield AROUND us- He protects us from all sides. Nothing that the enemy does or tries is hidden from God's eyes. God's glory is the light that surrounds Him and in the light there is no darkness, everything is out in the open. God protects us from the evil one. When we are tired and weary and when we look around us and became despondent, He is the lifter of our head- to look up to Him who has already concurred the enemy and that gives us the strength to fight again. We are in a battle But God is our shield and protector, we cannot win without His help and we must realize that the only victory is with God on our side

• 3 months later...

God is a shield in the sense that

He defend us from numerous attacks of the enemies

God is our glory in the sense that

He is the only one we could call upon and answer us in time of trouble

He is the only one who is worthy to be called our protector

He is the only one we could boast in

His radiance is imparted on me, He is seen all over me

God is the lifter up of my head in that

When it seem that I am weak and tired, He lifts my head and renew my strength.

Back me up with His Angels.

This teaches that God alone is my protector and He is capable of protecting me from whatever trouble as a shield, shelter, guardian, deliverer, savior, strength, glory, lifter up of my head etc

It teaches that I cannot protect myself, I can have, trust and rely on God alone for whatever protection I need

I may grow and tired in trouble but God will lift my head and renew my strength

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He is our shield in protections against the evil ones and our glory for he is worthy of our praise. He lifts us up to his father and he continually watches over us.

• 3 months later...

In what ways is God

1) a shield? God Himself and the blood of Jesus is our cover. He is the armor that protects us from the onslaught of the enemy, God shields us from the fiery darts of the enemy. No matter our great the onslaught of the enemy is, his protect

2) is he our glory? Our worth is in God. It is not in our wealth, our abilities, our careers, or any other earthly achievements. If we do not have God in our lives, we can be very rich, successful, talented yet all these will amount to nothing.

3) is he "the lifter up of my head"? He strengthens us when we are weary. We can proceed with continued confidence when we are tired and about to give up because he lifts up our heads. The bible says those who put their trust in Him will never be put to shame. We do not have to put our heads down in hopelessness and shame because by He is our hope - He will help us.

What does this teach us about God? He is a loving Father and a faithful God. He gave his one and only son to die for us and save us from being punished from our sins. He does not sleep nor slumber which means his eye is on all of us at all times. For those of us who are parents, we are not able to watch our children 24/7. Fiercely protective some of us, we are still not in a position to protect our children from harmful elements.

About ourselves? We are fully dependant on Him, and we should be grateful for His love for us.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield?

God is our protector. We of the New Covenant in Jesus' blood have that blood's power to cleanse us and to purify us. God is our shield from the inside out. With the Holy Spirit living inside us we have someone greater in us than the one who is in the world at large. We can claim victory in Jesus' Name.

If God isn't our glory, He should be. We've got nothing to boast about from our own works and our own achievements, but we should praise and glorify God for the things He helps us to achieve.

We are more than conquerers in Christ Jesus. He's the One who lifts up our heads in victory.

What does this teach us about God?

It teaches us that God wants to be our source of strength and our sustainer.

About ourselves?

We should submit to God and we'll succeed in ways He wants us to succeed. We shouldn't seek personal glory.

• 3 years later...
Q2: Psalm 3:3 In what ways is God a shield?

A shield protects the one behind it. In the same way God stands between me and any enemy. Anything that touches me has to first pass through His hand. When trials come or disaster, I may not feel that I was shielded, but His promise is that He will cause ALL THINGS to work together for my good, that I am being Conformed to the image of Christ. It might hurt me, but will not harm me.

In what ways is He our Glory?

Before salvation we had no glory....that was snuffed out for all people when Adam and Eve sinned against God. When we receive Jesus as our Lord and Savior, our dead spirit is reborn, and we are now spiritually alive in Him and share His reflected glory.

In what ways is He a lifter up of my head?

When I'm discouraged, or feeling sorrowful or grieving, Holy Spirit Who is always present, is my constant companion and Comforter.

He is the lover of my soul. I am His beloved daughter, who has been saved by grace and am now cleansed, forgiven and am surrounded and filled with Him, loved and protected by my God. He never leaves me for one second, is always concerned about everything which concerns me. He knows every hair on my head, is always alert and watching for my protection and well being.

About ourselves?

I am weak and in need of Him every minute of every day. I need His love, correction, protection, affection, infilling, Joy, and attention, hope, faith, breath...everything!

• 2 years later...

A shield is a military armor used for defense while engaging an enemy. We are under constant attack of the enemy whether we know it or not. Paul in Ephesians when he speaks of the full armor of God that we need to put on, says, to take the shield of faith by which we will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the enemy. When God is our shield, we are protected from the enemy’s assault on us. It is a spiritual battle and we cannot fight with our natural perceptions. We need God who is a spirit to defend us. And satan is no match to the Omnipotent God. God will be always victorious. We are safe in His arms from all the power of the enemy. We may not be aware of the spiritual battle that we are engaged in, but the thought that He is our shield is very comforting.

Bible says Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12). It also says that we are the light of the world (Matthew 5:14). How are we the light of the world? The sun shines and we also see that the moon shines. But moon does not have light of its own. It’s only reflecting the light of the sun. Likewise we too reflect His glory through our lives here on earth. He is the greater light and we are the lesser light, reflecting His light.  The moon does not reflect the light completely throughout its phases. And it is because the earth comes in between the sun and the moon. Likewise our light will be diminished to the extent the world comes in between the “Son” and us.

Bible says they that looked unto Him were radiant. They are never put to shame. Because He is the glory and the lifter of our heads, we can be assured that no matter who is against us, our God will be for us. He will be right by our side. As parents, we can immediately recognize when our children look sad. Similarly, our heavenly Father knows us in and out. He knows when our countenance is down, but He lifts up His countenance on us and thus lifts up our countenance and our head.

Our God is a God of love. He is right beside us and loves us to the extent that He has translated us from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of the Son of His love. He gave us the spirit of adoption in us whereby we can cry out to Him “Abba Father”. He will never leave me nor forsake me, but will be with me in my ups and downs and strengthen me and comfort me. If He has not spared His own Son for us, He will not withhold anything from us. I cannot live this life without Him by my side, for I am weak and needing Him every moment of my life.

• 1 year later...

God is our shield helping us deflect all of Satan's arrows that come at us. When we use the Word of God we can defeat Satan. He is our glory because of what Jesus did on the cross. He saved us to so that we could be like Him and be adopted by God into the family. So that one day He could present us to the Father. All glory belongs to God and not to us. We are to glory in knowing Him and obeying Him. He lifts up my head when I am tired, weak and depressed. I can count on Him to give me strength. 

It tells me that God is all I need. He will help me defeat Satan and be victorious. He will give me strength and encouragement. He will help me when I feel I cannot go on anymore. 

It tells me that I need to rely on Him for strength and I need to turn to Him first when trouble comes. I need to lean on Him and not always depend on other people. i need to spend more time with Him and tell Him what I need. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2006 at 2:34 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Those who live Godly in Christ Jesus find God to be their shield of protection to secure them on all sides when surrounded by enemies. He is a shield against all the fiery darts of the enemy aimed at our minds.  He is a shield of peace against the storms of emotional pains suffer in marriages at the hand of unfaithful spouses. The child of God finds in Him a shield against His own wrath which is to come on the ungodly.

God is our glory when we suffer afflictions for Him.  He is our glory in tribulations.  He is our glory when we are despised because of who we are.  He is our glory when we are faced with all these things and yet 'count it all joy'.  

God is "the lifter up of my head" in deliverance from the snares of the enemy.  In times of being downcast, or discouraged because of slander or ridicule, or you have been lied on, He is the One who restores, the One who will 'lift your head up' again, and there will be no shame. 

This teaches us that God can be trusted  in any and all situations.  That we can depend on Him knowing for sure that He has us in His sight every moment of every day.

When it comes to us, we are so limited in our abilities.  Without Him we can do nothing.  We like to think that we are capable of managing our lives, but if we do not 'acknowledge Him in all of our ways' we can and do so easily go astray.  We need Him in our corner all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2006 at 1:34 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield? In my life, God has become my shield, my refuge when I feel the accusing attacks coming from my enemies. Often times we get overwhelmed by the hostility of our enemies who seek to destroy our credibility and self worth. Seeking refuge in God makes me feel immediately soothed and comforted. I feel the coolness of the shield, the shade coming from his shadow and the heat from the attacks dissipate. 

In what ways is he our glory? In what ways is he "the lifter up of my head"?  God's protection glorifies us. He honors us through His love by telling us to hold up our head high. He says, "do not be dismayed. for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 40:10)

What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?  This shows Yahweh to be a compassionate and loving God. If we seek Him, He will not only protect us from the enemies, He will also honor us and strengthen us so that we feel renewed. If we can remember to always rest in the shelter of God Almighty when we feel under attack, I suspect that most of us would feel empowered to live happier and more productive lives. It is the acknowledgment that God is with us for all the battles.

"A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.  You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. "If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent... You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. 'Because he loves me,' says the LORD, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.'" 

• 6 months later...

God is my defense. GOD is my standard that I rally to. God is my trust and means of deliverance.   I can have that perfect peace that passes all understanding in the valley of sorrow.  A man who keeps his mind stayed on God and who trusts in Him at all times in all things and in all places (Isaiah 26:3; Psalm91).  It is opposite of Psalm 57:20-21.

The believer has no perishable glory, but claims the everlasting Creator for himself.  It is God's wonder-working  providence that has raised us from spiritual death

We have pre-eminence over all lower creatures by our intellect.  The knowledge of God -we have the mind  of Christ.  As diligent Bible students, we can say "thus saith the Lord" (Jeremiah 9:23-24; John 17:3; 2 Cor. 4:6)

God gives us infant children a wonderfull  honor as actual children of God.  We go from glory to glory (2 Cori thians 3:18; 1 John 3:2); we are formed in Christ (Galatians 4:19) by His grace.

We are God's jewels (Malachi 3:17).   So precious is our status as Christain believers; we compose the spiritual house as lively stones; we are a holy priesthood (1Peter 2:5; 2 Corinthians 6:16-18).⁷

-

• 1 year later...

God is our shield because he protects us from danger and harm everyday. He shields us from what could have been and what could have went wrong. He keeps my head lifted up out of troubles. Even if a person gets into trouble he will lift them up out of their troubles. God has ultimate power and God will receive the glory for protecting me.

God is our protector. He is our shield from the seen things to the unseen things on a regular daily basis. He never stops protecting us. So we put our hope and trust in him.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield?

God protects us all day long from seen and unseen dangers. He watches over us and our homes at night while we sleep. 

Through God we are able to conquer danger. Healed of incurable diseases, sustained when we’ve lost jobs or homes. Comforted at the loss of a loved one. He gets the glory out of our lives and strengthens us along the way.

When we are weak, God gives us strength and makes us strong. He send His angels to encamp around us so that we don’t stumble and fall. His word encourages and strengthens us when we  we’d encouragement or a reminder that greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world.

That God loves us with an ever lasting love. He cares about His creation making sure that every detail of our life is known to Him. He’s all powerful and we can trust Him. God knows what’s best for us at all times and will protect and defend us.

About ourselves?

I know I can’t nor do I want to live life without God being the head of it. I’ve tried my way of living for years and it brought heartache and pain. I need God’s guidance, grace, mercy and love everyday. I need His strength and I need Him to restore me, to heal my body when I’m sick. I need God in my life all the days of my life. He is my EVERYTHING!