JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. God Our Shield

Q2. (Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield? In what ways is he our glory? In what ways is he "the lifter up of my head"? What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?

God is a shield in the sense that Ps 91 makes us to know that HE is a wonderful assurance of protection. He is our glorious shield in times of danger and distress. He is ever present to save and deliver us from all evils.

He is our glory because HIS love envelopes us and HE becomes a shield to us in times of trouble.

HE is the lifter up of my head because when we are weak, tired and tried, HE renews our strenght and lift our heads high.

This teach us that God's love upon us is certain. it also teach us to trust HIM always for protection for HE is always there to defend and fight for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield?

He protects and shields me with His love. He will never leave me nor forsake me. All I have to do is call on His Name and He will be there.

In what ways is he our glory?

We are surrounded by His Love and we are protected. Everything we do should be to Glorify Him.

In what ways is he "the lifter up of my head"?

Knowing that He loves me no matter what I do, and is always there to encourage and protect me.

What does this teach us about God?

No matter what is going on in my life, no matter how bad things are, God is still in Control and always will be.

About ourselves?

I belong to Him, I

• 2 weeks later...
Q2. (Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield? In what ways is he our glory? In what ways is he "the lifter up of my head"? What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?

God is our shield from satan's attacks. If we abide in the Lord's truth and His Word, we can ward off temptations to sin.

The Lord is our glory in that we can say to satan when he attacks that "greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. I will stand in Him and in His promises." We can boast in the Lord and in what He has done for us!

The Lord is the lifter of our heads in that when satan attacks with despondency and depression, we can say "He is with me always, even to the end of the age." Third Day has a song on their latest album "Wherever You Are" that states: "Even though the journey's long, and I know the road is hard, well, the One who's gone before me, He will help me carry on. After all that I've been through, now I realize the truth, that I must go through the valley to stand upon the mountain of God." The Lord has encouraged me so much with this song just knowing that if we can persevere in Him and hold on, eventually we will see Him. That hope in Jesus lifts my head!

I've learned that God loves us so much. He created us on purpose, with a purpose, knowing that we would turn away from Him time and again. Still He waits for us to abide in the shadow of His wings so that He can give us victory in Jesus! He longs for us to say, "Abba, Father," and to let Him be our Protector in this life. I learn in Psalm 90 that I am weak: I need Jesus! We all need Him, but so many of us are deceived by satan into thinking we can control our lives. It doesn't take long to realize (if we will allow it) that we have little or no control over anything in this life. I'd rather let the Creator of the universe control things - He loves me and has my good at heart!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God is a shield for us because He prevents our enemies

God is our Shield in that when we repent, are baptized, confess that the Lord sis King of Kings and believe in him with all our hearts that he will "PROTECT" us. When in our downtime as long as we keep our full faith in the Lord and Jesus Christ that we can hold our "Heads High".

• 2 weeks later...

God shields us from our enemies, whether they are flesh and blood, or spiritual. He keeps us covered in protection in the front, and behind, on the left and the right. He is always with us protecting us. He loves us and will not let one be snatched from His Hand.

It is His glory that covers us with protection.

We belong to God. He bought us with a very high price. He loves us so much and protects us. When we accept Christ into our lives we no longer belong to ourselves, we belong to the LORD.

• 4 weeks later...

He protects , defends us in time of danger.

He is only one to be Worshipped.

When we are low , He lifts us up .

I have to put my trust in God , even if everything seems to go wrong , God is still for me . If a circumstance has turned against me , I should not blame God , but seek Him

• 3 months later...

God is our shield and glory because in every adversity we can be sure that God is beside us to help and comfort us. He will keep us out of harm and danger and forever keep watch over us in loving kindness. This gives us a rich description about God as our omnipotent rock, shield and protector. As for our selves, this teaches us that we can only be dependent on God for protection. Therefore we should constantly pray to Him and ask his grace everytime.

As our shield God protects us from the onslaught of the enemy, the devil.

He is our glory because He causes us to uphold our honor, our dignity; and our reputation is intact because the devil is defeated when he comes against us.

When tired and weary, God gives us the strength to lift up our head and carry on.

What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?

It teaches us to trust in the Almighty God and in all things know that He is a very present help in the times of trouble. See Psalm 46:1.

• 6 months later...

In every way you can think of, God is our shield, our glory, and the lifter of our head. There is nothing we have to be proud of when think consider all we have done or will ever do in life. God has done it all through us. He guarded us through every step we took. Anything we have achieved it was through his might and power. Any glory we might think we deserve, it all due to Him. The sole ability to open our eye lids each day is due to our Lord and Savior. He is the one that washed our sins away. He is the one that gave us any success. It is all God. There is nothing we can boost about. All we can do is praise God; for He has been good to us.

• 1 month later...

God is a shield against any type of ammunition the devil sends our way. A shield was one of the most versitile pieces used in battle. It's both an offensive and a defensive item, yet not really a weapon. I think this fact symbolizes God's character well. He is a vital part of our protection, He's there for us, but not at our command as we would consider a "weapon" to be. Yet He's not just a passive part of our armour either. While God is the shield of every christian, we don't always remember to take Him with us into the battle, or keep holding onto Him throughout the fight. An interesting aspect of God as our shield, is that one of the main things He shields us from is ourselves, from our sinful nature. God knows us and He knows best. It's crazy how many times the things in our lives we feel that God should be protecting most carefully for us are the very things He is shielding us from.

God is our glory in that without Him there is no glory. He is our strength and our victory. Without Him the battle is lost. He provides all that is beautiful and good in our lives. As far as being the Lifter of My Head, it seems like there should be some deeper meaning here that I'm not getting. Regardless, the first thing that comes to my mind is the literal picture of confidence and strength, of marching out with boldness and peace. For myself, I know my posture says a lot about how I'm feeling. When I'm tired and discouraged, when I feel cornered in on all sides, and like there's no hope, it shows. Then I have to find God's strength through my weakness, and remind myself that I am the daughter of The King.

God as my shield is humbling. When everything crashes around me and I see my helplessness, I see God that much clearer. It's when I see the arrows embeded in the shield that I realize how dead I'd be without it. It's when I see the nail-pierced hands that I realize, if that hand wouldn't have been there, that would have been me. When we follow in the steps of Christ, He is our human shield. We carry His cross as He takes the wounds and the pain that were meant for us.

Eph 2:7-10 (The Message) Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish! We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing.

• 3 weeks later...

His Word is my sheild from the fiery darts that satan tries to fire in my direction. He is my glory thru the crucification of Jesus. My head is lifted up for I continuely look up to Him for direction. This teaches us to glorify God and trust Him in all circumstances of our lives. It shows my faith in God no matter what is going on or what attack I am under for I have the victory through Him and the Crucifiction.

• 6 months later...

God is a shield in that He protects us from harm. He is our glory because He is God -- Almighty God, Creator of Heavens and Earth. The Holy Spirit of God fills me; lifts me; and gives me perspective.

God is our glory because, like Hagar, He sees us and is concerned about each of us individually.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

More ways than I can ever say. However, He has been my shield, protected me from harm many times, and I must say, many more times that I will never know of.

I do think that God at times has not been my protection, because of my disobedience to Him, my lack of trust in Him, but as I study to show my self approved, I am dwelling, set my roots where I can grow in Him, and it feels so good to be under His shield.

The shield is one of the armour we are to put on daily, for the darts will be coming, we must be prepared for battle. We must put the SHIELD on.

God the Father is the glory of Christ, He raised Him from the dead, set Him at His right hand, He crowned him

with glory and honour; Rev 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it,

and the Lamb is the light thereof.

We have the glory of God living in us because of the Lamb of God, who was under the shield of the Father, He had to fight the battle to win Salvation for mankind; God raised Him from the dead, that we may be clothed with His Glory, the glory of the Son.

He is also our glory, those who are called to eternal glory with Him.

When I am in times of trouble and sorrow, my head is not lifted high, it hangs low with the weight of distress upon it, however, God is the One who is able to lift up my head, to give peace and joy when there is none. Keep on trusting in Him, the King over all, go to Him and He will lift you up.

What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?

It teaches me, that I am nothing without God Almighty in my life. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

He is our protection from all harm. He os our glory with His presence, and fellowship, and help. When we commit ourselves to God, His glory will shine in the experineces of His grace and presence that enables us to rise above our troubles. He is the lifter up of my head because I can lift my head up in joy knowing that everything is going to work for my good. I can rejoice in my heart because I know in whom I believer. This teaches me that God is a loving and caring and faithful and true Father. About ourselves, I cannot live without the Lord in my life. I can't even begin to imagine living my life without the Lord. He is my life. Without Him, I am nothing. I believe and trust in the Lord one hundred percent. HE is my ALL.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing can touch my life without His permission...He wards off and protects me from anything that is not His will for me or that would harm me. He will allow those things to pass through His protection that can be used for my good and His glory...even though they may be painful (Rom.8:28,29) but will produce fruit and/or His character in me.

When Adam sinned and "fell", the glory which clothed him died or "went out", like a light turned off. In Christ now, He lives in me, and as I yield to Him to live through me, His glory can be seen in works that He produces through me. We are clothed in His righteousness, no longer wearing the gloomy black cloak of sin.

His glorious creation is ours to live in and enjoy, His manifest presence brings His glory to us. His glory shines as we worship. He allows no one to steal His glory, I have no glory of my own, but He covers me with His glory. He imparts dignity and honor to us, and tells me I'm already seated with Him in the Heavenlies.

I love that phrase! The picture of the tender hand of the Father lifting up the chin of the crestfallen or discouraged child. He's always calling and urging us to "look up" to Him instead of being bogged down in circumstances...because even in the worst of times, He is intimately with us, in us, shielding us, guiding us, loving us, forgiving us. What a Glorious God we love and serve!

What does this teach us about God?

He is God, Creator, Sovereign over the affairs of men and controlling the Universe, yet He is concerned about His child's tears and sorrow, powerful enough to stop the arrows and death wishes of Satan or schemes of any earthly foes, aware of every detail of every child's life....How Great Thou Art!!!!

About ourselves?

I'm His creation, His child, who depends upon Him for everything...including protection and comfort.

• 2 weeks later...

But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. (Psalm 3:3)

God is a shield for me in that He protects me as I trust Him to be my Shield. He wards off the attacks of the Evil One as I present myself as one who is under the Blood of Jesus. He shields me from many things that I will never know about. I am so grateful....He is my defender!

When I experience of the hurts of this world that are aimed at me, and then I remember the strength and promises of my God, He lifts my head from hanging down in defeat. He is my Savior in many ways! He brings forth in me a joy and energy that says, "my God is for me...He is my protector...He is my wisdom....He is my encourager....and His promises are true!"

He is my glory in that He works within me to conform me to the image of Jesus. Also, He is the one that I glorify when I turn to Him to protect me. His presence within me brings me peace and strength....and others see that and want to know the source!!

This teaches me about God that He is committed to me in every way. He knows my life minute by minute and responds when i call on Him.

This teaches me that I have the Almighty God beside me and I can rest in His protection.

• 4 weeks later...

GOD is my shield in which He catches the darts thrown at me by satin and his angles. GOD wraps me in His love and covers me with His mercy to protect me from anything that is too great for me to deal with, even the trials and struggles I go through GOD sorts them before they get to me and allows the ones that He knows will strengthen me, and even sometimes tear me down if i am to focused on self and not Him.

GOD is my glory as every good change in and through me is credited to Him, I can do: and am nothing without Him. :lol:

GOD is the lifter up of my head by keeping my eyes and hopes fixed on Him. He is the lifter of my countenance and allows / reminds me that He is the ultimate one in control. No matter how bad things get or look GOD only allows certain things to pass through His grasp to come to me.

This teaches me that I can depend on GOD!!!! HE is trust worthy!!!!! He is a keeper of His word!!!!

GOD's protection strength and guidance oversee all that enters my life and appropriates at which time and for how long.

This helps me to know that without GOD i am doomed, He is my everything, and by His power and might alot of things get accomplished through me. I am a vessel and tool for GOD

• 3 months later...

(Psalm 3:3) In what ways is God a shield? In what ways is he our glory? In what ways is he "the lifter up of my head"? What does this teach us about God? About ourselves?

We fight a spiritual battle. God as my shield protects me from the spiritual forces of evil. I love that He is the shield. It is not that I am whielding the shield myself, but He Himself is shielding me.

The battle belongs to the Lord. He uses us and equips us to enter battle for Him and with Him. Any victory we have is because of Him.

He encourages me, loves me, strengthens me. I think of a child with a father. A father gently lifting the chin of his child to see his face.

God protects us with the armour He has given us to wear (e.g. the breastplate of righteousness, the helmet of salvation, the sword which is the word of God, etc.) When the enemy comes at us, we are protected from his blows and darts because the armour of God is our best defence weapon against him. He is the lifter of our head in that when we are in trouble, He rescues us and is there with us in all of our battles and struggles. He brings rewards of victory and gives us garments of praise for the spirit of heaviness.

• 10 months later...

Paul tells us faith is a shield that protects us from the devil.

In this verse, God seems to be a protective shield against earthly enemies.

He is our glorie for He makes us good persons.

He is good.

We can only be good if He makes us.