JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. God Our Keeper

Q4. (Psalm 121). What does it mean that God is our Keeper. In what ways does he "keep" or "guard" us?

For me it means that God keeps me safe, He protects me and watches over me. I think that God protects us from the enemy and one day we will see how many times the enemy really wanted to kill r destroy us and then we will also see the protection of our King. The Bible also said that He commands the angels to watch over us, what a wonderful privilege to be a child of the Almighty God and to know that not even a hair will fall off our heads without Him knowing

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Psalm 121). What does it mean that God is our Keeper. In what ways does he "keep" or "guard" us?

He takes care of us every time watching over us and our surroundings day and night never sleep nor slumber. He sets His angels guard over us to watch us day and night, our going out and coming in- all our activities. Not to misstep walking into evil, even when trouble comes, He would not allow it to affect us- not allowing the sun to smite us by day nor the moon by night not allowing the evil ones to touch in our sleep at night. He is the Commander of the guarding angels

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Most of us tend to think of God as our protector i.e we call on Him when we are in trouble or danger and He comes running. He does NOT come running because He has never left us in the first place. He does not even sleep or slumber because he constantly watching over us. Everything that happens in our lives is important to Him. As our keeper, He hones and prunes us and He directs our paths. Even when we stray, he directs us back to where we ought to be. He knows when we are sad and troubled and He comforts us and sends us His peace. He also commands angels to help us. Every aspect of our lives is taken care of by Him.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Psalm 121). What does it mean that God is our Keeper?

God watches over us and never slumbers. I realise we sometimes don't feel like that's the case. But all things work together for good for those who love God. In the washup we very often find that things turned out for the best and that God's sovereign control over events was what made it that way.

In what ways does he "keep" or "guard" us?

According to Psalm 121 God protects us from evil. He plants our feet firmly and won't let us slip. He is our shade by day and night. I take that to mean that we shelter under the protection of The Almighty. He guards our going out and our coming in. He directs our ways . . . if we ask Him to. I start every day with a prayer that God will direct my paths.

• 5 years later...

Keeper has the idea of having a hedge around. That is, to watch, to guard, to hedge about, to protect, to preserve etc. Protection in this fallen world is so important and God promises to be a wall of protection around our individual lives. In order to navigate this dangerous world we need protection and His protection is the paramount protection that we have. In John 17 Jesus declares the same important truth in the spiritual realm which is the most important realm of all realms. He prays to keep us that we may be one as They are one. He says in John 6:37 “All that the Father gives me shall come to Me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out”. Once we are in Him, He doesn’t lose us. He keeps us till the day when we are safe in His arms. As a Shepherd, He does not allow the evil one to come in to steal us and kill us and destroy us. He is the ultimate protection that we have from every harm of the evil one. The Lord loves us so much that He chose to humble Himself to surround us with protection because we are precious to Him.

• 1 year later...

God is our keeper in that He watches over us day and night. He is aware of all our troubles and He stands guard over us. 

He has angels watch over us. He never sleeps so He knows when we are troubled in the night. He keeps me from harm and from the evil one.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2006 at 2:35 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

That God is my keeper means that He watches over me.  The song says "His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me." I am here reminded of Matthew 23: 37 where Jesus said "...How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing."  That verse right there shows me the heart of the Father. If we are willing to be gathered as the hen gathers her chicks, then He is going to take care of us.  He keeps us,  He protects us, He provides for us. Psalm 34 says "No good thing will He withhold from them that fear Him."

In Psalm 91 we are shown the ways in which God 'Keeps' and 'guards' us.   Many attacks seem to come in the dark of the night.   Especially robbery and, sickness but the children of God shall not be afraid because their refuge is hovering over them to protect and keep them safe. The adversities that show up in the day time shall not find landing place but shall fall by the thousands both on the right hand and left hand of the believers.  We shall call on Him and He will answer.  He will be with us in trouble. He will deliver us from every fear and satisfy us with long life. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2006 at 1:35 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Psalm 121). What does it mean that God is our Keeper. In what ways does he "keep" or "guard" us? For me personally, I feel God's protection when I pray about the accusing attacks from the enemies. I can sense the enemies retreating and I feel comfort and relief knowing that God Most High is holding me in the protection of His mighty wings. I'm strengthened because the LORD Almighty goes before me, next to me, and behind me. 

5The LORD is your keeper
the LORD is your shade at your right hand.
6The sun shall not strike you by day, 
nor the moon by night.
7The LORD will keep you from all evil; 
he will keep your life.
8The LORD will keep 
your going out and your coming in 
from this time on and forevermore.  

• 6 months later...

When we say God is our keeper we mean He guards us like a thorny hedge round about us. When I was in high school, Pastor Gunnar Jacobsen gave me a Bible verse that elucidated Psalm 121. "For I, saith the Lord, will be unto her a wall of fire round about, and will be the glory in the midst of her" (Zechariah 2:5).  The Hebrew word "chowmah" denotes "to join".  All these years, my God has been with me.  Truly, Yahweh is "I AM".

Perservance graces from heaven!   We have stability in times of trouble; we have songs in the nites of sorrow.  Constant divine watchfullness against our enemies, seen and unseen.  Protection from Sunstone and moonstone.  Preservation from all evil,preservation of our souls and when we are going forth and back home

• 1 year later...

God is always on guard and always see when we don't see the dangers and problems. He is the ultimate watchmen because he never gets lazy, tired or fall asleep he is always in the watch. He is on the watch when we are asleep. He is on the watch when we are doing everyday things and doing fun activities. He is Never caught off guard. He is always protecting his children.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Psalm 121). What does it mean that God is our Keeper.

God watches over us, and thinks about us more than the grains of sand. He is faithful to never leave us or forsake us, He love ex us with an everlasting love. He is our rock eternal.

In what ways does he "keep" or "guard" us?

He is always aware of what is going on is our lives and is with us to help us get through everything that comes our way. We are never alone for His spirit is in us.