JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Abba, Father

Pastor Ralph

Q2. How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father? How does God as Abba influence your relationship with him?

I believe that (God) Jesus met each disciple at their own level and said, "Follow me" just as you are. The Jews treated you as if you must be some influential religious leader to go before the Father. Abba is such a sweet name for my dad for it is more personal.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2) How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father? How does God as Abba influence your relationship with him?

I believe the Jews' understanding of God as Father is one who is a formidable character - He provides, He protects but you can't get close to him. He is the authority and His word is law.

Jesus' teachings about God and Father is all about relationship. God, the father, according to Jesus, not only provides and protects, but he longs to have intimate communion and communication with us. We can go to Him at any time about anything. He will never shut the door on us. No doubt He will discipline us if we do wrong but the correction, like everything else he does for us, is done for our own good.

God as Abba has strengthened my faith.

• 1 year later...

Q2. How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father?

In Jesus' time on Earth and in all the time preceding that, God was not viewed at all as a true father-figure. He was the holy, unapproachable God who terrified people so much that they wouldn't speak His Name. The Jews did view God as the Father of their nation, but from a creator perspective. God made the heavens and the earth and everything in them and they viewed Him as a father in that light. But rarely was God regarded as Daddy. God did announce that He was the father of the kings of Israel, but even that was not in the familiar sense of a father they could have a personal relationship with.

How does God as Abba influence your relationship with him?

Even after being a Christian for over 30 years, I'm still trying to grasp the full scope of God being my Daddy. I had no relationship with my own earthly father and the only contact we had was his fists . . and often his feet . . against my head and body. I hated his guts.

The concept of a loving father who only wants the best for me is an alien concept.

• 5 years later...

Q2. How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father? How does God as Abba influence your relationship with him?

The Jewish understanding of God was that of a stern, strict disciplinarian. Even in the concept of the father, there was no intimacy, He was considered to be the Father of the nation corporately, not that of an individual. They revered Him so much, that they wouldn’t even utter His name, not wanting to use His name in vain. Even the scribes while copying the scriptures, when they came to His covenant name – Yahweh, they would wash themselves and use a new pen rather than corrupting His name in writing. It was more of a formal relationship rather than a close, intimate relationship. But when Jesus came on the scene, He imbibed a new concept in the relationship with the Father. It was about intimacy and closeness along with respect that is due to Him. Intimacy brings us closer to Him and respect gives us an awe of His greatness. In the New Testament, the words used to describe is “Heavenly Father” which represents both His awesomeness and an affection towards Him. The word “Abba” which Jesus used frequently gives us an impression of an intimate father-child relationship. He sees us tenderly and cares for us knowing our frame.  

The usage of Abba gives me an impression that we are precious to Him. We are not just His creation but His redeemed ones whereby we have adoption into His kingdom as His children. Because of this adoption, He gives us the Spirit of sonship whereby we can call Him “Abba Father”. This idea just overwhelms me, that the awesome God is my Father. I have been given the privilege of calling Him “Abba”, “my Abba”. I am precious to Him and I want to set my affections on Him who has loved me so much that He redeemed me that I could forever be with Him.

• 1 year later...

It was different in that he taught them to talk to God as little children do and call Him, Abba, or daddy. It was something that only little children called their fathers not adults. Before this Jews thought of God as the Father of their nation but not their own personal Father. 

It influences my relationship in that I know I can come to Him anytime and know He will listen  to me. I know that He loves me and cares about me. Therefore I love and honor Him in return. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2006 at 1:20 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The intimate way Jesus taught His disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" differs from the Jews' understanding of God as Father.  In the Old Testament the Jews saw God as their creator, as the God of the nations and of the world, and as someone to be afraid of.  They were so afraid of Him in the wilderness that they begged Moses to talk to Him then come tell them what He said and they will do it.  They didn't see Him as being in a close relationship with them.  On the other hand, Jesus comes along and is teaching His disciples that God is a loving Father who wants to know them, and them to know Him. 

My earthly father was very strict and so I had a very hard time relating to God as a Father.  In my mind I saw Him just watching and waiting for me to do something wrong to pounce on me with retribution.  It took a long, long time for me to truly understand that God really loves me unconditionally, even though one night when I thought I was going to die He literally showered me with His love. Now, I know that He loves me regardless of what my mind might try to tell me sometimes. I am still discovering and learning what it means to have this special and personal relationship with such an awesome Father.  Because I do know for sure that He loves me, I find myself turning to Him more and more.  I tell Him things about myself, I share personal things, and jokes, and hurts, and He is just so beautiful.

• 6 months later...

Our Lord Jesus Christ was in deep.communion with His Father; Apostle John stated, ",,,but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" (John 3:13).   Christ was in heaven as He walked the hills of Galilee.  His communion with God the Father was beyond our thoughts and words. Even when He was in the grave physically;  Christ was in heaven according to the Eastern Church fathers.

1 John 3:1 has been so precious to me these days.   Yes, I can call God my Abba;  based upon the Holy Bible.   I don't have to fall into a state of dispiritedness.  Because of what Christ has done on Calvary,  I can always have that joy unspeakable that is full of glory.   I am beckoned this day to discover more Bible truth; Abba God will assist me.   The Holy Spirit is here on earth; this thrills my soul.   I am not alone.  I look forward today to stand in the gap for others during prayer time.

• 1 year later...

Jesus introduced a more intimate way of us relating to God versus what people were used to in that time. 

It's good to know God as Abba. That is very important to me. It is good to know that My Heavenly Father will not harm me or do wrong to me. I can always depend on him. He will always love me and care about me. 

• 1 year later...

Q2. How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father?
The Jews looked at the word Abba as something a child would say to address their father. Jesus taught the disciples that Abba is our father in heaven. Almost like addressing God as Abba makes God greater and on a different level than Father which is more for an earthly parent. 

How does God as Abba influence your relationship with him?

Knowing Him as Abba for me makes our relationship more intimate. It makes it easier for me to trust His guidance, to depend on Him, to pray and know that I'm speaking with someone who really truly cares about my well being. He knows me in a way no one else does.  Im comfortable with God, i can be myself and know that no matter what mistakes I make He’s never going to stop loving me.