JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Abba, Father

Pastor Ralph

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father? How does God as Abba influence your relationship with him?

IT SEEMS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT THAT GOD WAS THEIR RULER, HE WAS LOVING YET HARSH, HE WAS THEIR KING AND UNACCESSABLE. THEY HAD TO GO THROUGHT THE PRIESTS AND COULD NOT GO DIRECTLY TO HIM.

TODAY, AND SINCE JESUS, GOD HAS BECOME LOVING KIND OUR ABBA. HE STILL PUNISHES SIN, BUT WE CAN GO DIRECTLY TO HIM, HE HEARS OUR CRYS, HE HOLDS US IN TIME OF TROUBLE, HE TAKES CARE OF US. THERE IS NO ONE ON EARTH THAT LOVES US AS ABBA DOES.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was a close relationship between a father and not that one of fear.We are to approach God with confidence and not fear.

• 3 months later...

Jesus introduced to the people a God that loves all His people including the Gentiles. Moreover, the Father that Jesus wants us to know is one Who wants intimacy with His people. A caring, loving and intimate God that wants our companionship. this is different from the God of the Jews Who is Lord only of the Jewish people, and is jealous and harsh to punish. The concept of a loving God should change our attitude towards Him. In worship, we must be motivated by love and gratitude and not fear. Our service must always be with joy, and not done of obligation.

Q2. How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father?

Jesus taught His disciples to see God as "Abba" and "Father" in an intimate way. As "Abba" they see God as a child sees a loving father with a close relationship; whereas the Jews saw Him as a distant diety who lays down commandments and metes out punishments, a God to be revered but never in similarity to a earthly father.

How does God as Abba influence your relationship with him?

As Abba my relationship with God is one of intimacy. I can approach Him with confidence and know that He will accept me when I come.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Jewish view of God as father is more of a disciplinarian; a strict, somewhat harsh gaurdian/leader who also doubled as a supplier and protector in return for obedience and reverence.

The new revalation given by Jesus, of God as a loving, compassionate, merciful daddy, is so powerful. I can't think of any other name of God's that has so many powerful implications paired with such a level of intimacy. It makes so much sense that Jesus is the one that revealed this facet of God's character as well, because this kind and gentle daddy could only be revealed alongside the Lamb of God, alongside the monumental sacrifice found in Christ. This part of God's character is so compelling, and it seems that the church as a whole has abused this aspect fo God's character. It seems we have used God's love as a marketing strategy. We have forgotten to emphasize the price that was paid for our adoption. We loose our fear of the Lord when we pretend God's role as Abba cancels out His holiness and wrath. However, when we consider God's unfathomable love in light of His unfathomable holiness and power, we should not feel entitled, but rather stand in awe, humbled at the vastness of His character, in wonder of His love for anyone as undeserving as ourselves.

I am thankful to have a great Dad, who I can talk to, and who's love I have never been uncertain of. I'm sure that my relationship with him has somewhat effected my understanding of God. Knowing God is my Father, my Dad, has always been a big part of my walk with Him. Probably the biggest way this is evident is that when I think of my dad, I think of a daily relationship, one where I can discuss things I've been thinking about. I feel the same way about God, my Abba, Father. Not only does he have a specific title or role He plays in my life, but He is someone I see and talk to often. Someone I spend time with. He is someone who I respect and try to obey, and someone who's advice I seek.

• 6 months later...

Q2. How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father? How does God as Abba influence your relationship with him?

Jesus taught a more intimate and personal relationship with God the Father than the Jewish understanding.

It influences me in the sense that I can relate to God in the same fashion I related to my own father and as I am as a father.

I view God in the traditional father-sense, but more personal and nuturing. I view God as taking a personal interest in my development and welfare to be the man he purposed me to be.

• 1 month later...

The Jews saw God as a judge, as distant, as the rule giver, as the one behind the veil that they could not personally approach. When Jesus described Him as

• 2 months later...

Q2. How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father?

Jesus taught his disciples, the God of Israel has absolute authority, He is holy and deserves all respect. Jesus taught them, they can - through obedience to God and His authority, find an intimate relationship with the Father, and may call Him Abba Father.

Abba does not in anyway take away from who He is, Father God; But Jesus teaching has influenced me, I can have a personal relationship with the Father, by loving Him, and looking to Him as my protector; Therefore I find I love His Word, His commands, and I desire to please Him, as a child learning to lean on their Father for direction, therefore I can call Him Abba Father.:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Their understanding was the O.T. concept of Father as creator, authority, judge of their nation. He was distant, unapproachable, feared. Jesus introduced the Father as His Father, our Father, the personal God and Father, of the individual.

As my Abba Daddy, He is close, intimate, loving, personal..the "crawl up on my lap and into my arms and pour out your heart, your fears, your tears and let me dry them", kind of Abba. He's welcoming, tender, easy to talk to, and I'm eager to listen to Him because I don't fear Him....though I revere Him and esteem Him greatly.

This is a miracle of His work in my life, as my Dad was an angry, often violent man who threatened to kill me, my Mother and my brothers. His discipline was severe punishment, and abusive. I began my Christian walk by talking to Jesus only. I wanted nothing to do with the Father, as I was terrified of Him. He has done the miraculous in my life in bringing me out of that place of fear, to where I have none, and have forgiven my Dad, and have come to understand that he was doing to us, what was done to him.

The Jews saw him as an authoritative figure.They did not think that they could have a relationship with him, that he was there to just correct and punish them. They could not have a relationship for the fear they had toward God. Not knowing He was a loving God, wanting to fellowship with them. Being able to call Him Abba, thrills me so because I know I have a father who cares, who loves me, who listens to me, someone I can talk to every day, take my troubles to him and I know He will take care of themand He will show me His love when He is correcting and teaching me. He will never fail me.

• 3 weeks later...

In the Old Testament , we see that Father as referring to God was a title that spoke of the head/authority and provider for his own. We read of God being called "Father" in a number of places in the Old Testament. However, when Jesus began to speak of His "Father", He spoke of an intimate relationship through using or implying the word, "Abba". This was new to the Jews of that day. What was this relationship that Jesus had with the Father? His intimacy with the Father offended many as they thought Jesus was saying that the Almighty was His Father....which, He was saying. I believe that this naming of God as Father was a big part of the Jews of that day beginning to understand that Jesus was, indeed, God, the Messiah.

My relationship is definitely based on an intimacy with the Father/Abba. My own father was a strong, compassionate, caring, merciful Christian man....so I have a good basis for understanding Abba.

• 4 months later...

Jesus knew that he had a unique relationship with God. Only he knew the Father well enough to reveal him to others (Matthew 11:27). Jesus called God by the Aramaic word Abba, an affectionate word that children and adults used for their fathers. Perhaps the best modern equivalent is "Dad." In prayer, Jesus talked to his Dad, asking him for help and giving him thanks for whatever he had. Jesus says that we do not have to flatter our way into an audience with the King. He

• 2 weeks later...

The Jews saw God as a stern Jehovah, there was a lot to do with so many commandments and laws. Jesus introduces us to a Father who is loving and caring and approachable. God as Abba has healed a lot of my emotinal pain with my styepfather. I no longer compare Him to an earthly Father, but I now fully accept Him as a Father who loves me so much and us showing me that all earthly fathers should be like Him.

• 10 months later...

God loves us and wants the best for us.

We don't have to be afraid for Him as long as we obey Him.

He's no ancient Roman father who had the legal right to kill everybody in his house.

He's no jewish father who just does as he likes.

• 4 weeks later...

The O.T. and Jewish understanding of Yahweh saw Him as more of a stern, formal figure. Israel was called His child nationally, but we now have an intimate, personal father-child relationship that I don't think they could have understood. They had the promise of adoption, but that promise was fulfilled, delivered, and realized through Jesus Christ. He is the one who demonstrated and taught us who Father is and how we can/should now relate to Him. He showed us what that should look like and how important it is. And that is now our inheritance. On the grace side of the cross, we have the benefit of literally being adopted into the Father's family as sons and daughters. We shouldn't lose any of the proper respect and submission due to Yahweh. But Christ gives us the marvellous and incredible privilege of each having a personal intimate relationship of love and tenderness that couldn't be imagined before restoration to the Father was accomplished through the Savior.

I think King David and his Psalms prove you absolutely wrong.

• 3 months later...

Names of God 9

Jesus used the term Abba for the LORD as a matter of course as we can understand from the gospels. It is a very informal Aramaic word for Father. Before this, the LORD was known much more formally and more distantly. It would seem that prior to Jesus coming to us the LORD was approached by the Hebrew people very much as a Great King with all the pomp, sobriety and formality of that relationship.

Jesus, as with many other aspects of the Hebrew Faith, completely revolutionized our relationship with God. Jesus brought us the more personal relationship. We can look to God as a child looks to a father. It is much more intimate and personal and allowing of a loving relationship and understanding with the Lord to take place. Jesus meant this to be so by deliberately using the term

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Q2.

How was the intimate way that Jesus taught his disciples about God as "Abba" and "Father" different from the Jews' understanding of God as Father?

The Jews understood that God was the Father of their nation. Jesus is speaking about a new relationship, a personal relationship we can have with our Heavenly Father. We read in John 1:12,

• 2 weeks later...

In the Old Testament, the Jewish people would not say God's name, so to call God "Abba" would be totally out of the question. That would be far too intimate for some of them. But when Jesus, taught his disciples about God as they Father, this was the intimacy God wanted to have with them. He wants that kind of intimacy, with us. He wants to be a big part of our lives, in all aspects. He wants to be our Father and have that kind of relationship, with us today. God loves us and wants us to love Him back. He wants to be head of our household.

• 4 months later...

I think that especially in the jewish culture the role of the father is one of respect, not necessarily of love. We see that in the parable of the prodigal son. The eldest son had respect for his father and did was was required, but he did not love his father or his brother. They also saw God as someone far off, in heaven, ready to judge. When Jesus told the disciples that God is Abba Father, He wanted them to realize that Gods wants to have that intimate and loving relationship with them (and us). In Christ we are now sons and daughters of the Living God and can also call Him Abba Father. What an incredible privilege

• 3 months later...

The introduction of God as Abba and Father by Jesus shows how intimate we can be with God and we can enjoy His love, be made whole spiritually and emotionally this is different from the Jews understanding of God as Father because it is not a way of addressing God in Ancient Judaism.

This makes me to know I can have intimate relationship with Him, He loves me and cares for me and through my relationship with Him as Abba Father He can shower me with His Love and make me what I should be.

• 5 months later...

Jesus wanted to introduce us to His Father so that we could learn to accept and come to know Him as our Father also. Jesus’ relationship with the heavenly Father was an intimate one full of love and trust. He wants us to know that same intimacy, one that no earthly father or person can match. Our heavenly Father is divine and everlasting, He is great and mighty, and loves us beyond our own small imaginations. The Jewish understanding is one of a cultural nature. Their view of God as Abba was different from what Jesus spoke of or non-existent because God was not introduced to them in the same manner that He’s introduced to us in the New Testament. In the Old Testament is appears that He was more of a provider and protector; whereas in the New Testament He is everything in the Old Testament and more.