JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I began taking communion as just a little guy, so I really don't remember ever NOT receiving it. What I seem to concentrate most on now is the word "remember" .... remember that you have no hope in yourself to earn your way to heaven ... remember that God loves you so much that he sent his son to die, to be brutally sacrificed for my past sins and knowing that I would continue to be a sinner until He calls me home ... remember that nothing I do can make him love me any more or any less, HIS love is complete and unconditional ... remember that once I was lost, but now I am found .... remember that eventhough I see many of my faults, God sees me as righteous and ONLY & TOTALLY because of Christ's broken body and shed blood.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each other's understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

I believe that Jesus is actually present in the bread and the wine. Whether you believe in a spiritual presence or a physical presence, the fact is we all believe in the presence of Jesus in a special way when we partake of the bread and the wine. I reverence the bread and the wine as I receive it because I know I am closer to Jesus at this time than I am at other times. To receive Jesus in the bread and the wine is a privilege and a gift. I respond with a prayer of thanksgiving to Jesus for this gift.

Remember, we have agreed to respectfully and lovingly disagree with one another. What do you know? Perhaps we can learn from and be enriched by each other's understanding. (Note: I will exclude from the online discussion any who, in my opinion, are sarcastic and unloving in their manner.)

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper? (Note: This question is not your excuse to argue, but to learn from one another's personal experience of partaking.)

Having been in churches that taught that the bread and wine (juice) was figurative I have never had a problem believing that. Receiving communion is and rightfully should be a meaningful experience. As we reflect upon each of the emblems representing His body and blood we should be able to enter into a personal experience each time. We are sight oriented people and although we accept Jesus Christ as Savior by faith, by holding an emblem in our hands and partaking is new, meaningful and exciting each time.

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

My basic understanding of the bread and wine have always been figurative (symbols) that were to be used to represent the Body and Blood of Christ and the taking was very serious and had to be done with a contrite heart due to the fact that Paul stated to take it anyother way was to sin against the Body and Blood.

It is a fact of making me feel closer to Christ as making me feel more of the act of His death. I feel that this is a real time of repentance for me and to not be deeply sorry for all the things I have done would be just one more sin added to my list. I think of the taking of the bread and wine as my covering for the next week when I'll get to renew that covenant with Christ again.

I have taken communion for many, many years. What I don't want to happen is to have it become ho-hum. I want to keep that same excitment, joy, thankfulness, yes & sadness too as I remember He shed His blood for ME and gave His body for ME. With each passing year, I pray that my relationship with my Savior will grow deeper & stronger and make the monthly remembrance sweeter & sweeter, looking forward to that day we will eat with Him at His table!

My understanding is that the Body and blood are a figurative representations and are things of the spirit which must be seen and revealed to us by his holy Spirit.

The blood of the new covenant is the replacement of animal blood offering which has been replaced by Jesus Christs own blood as an offering to God. Eating and drinking of the Body and blood of Jesus, speaks of word of God. Our spirit must feed on the word of God to develop and Grow and thereby be revealed the inner thoughts and secrets of God.

The ultimate sacrifice that was offered by way his body and blood makes us one with him. By Accepting his body and blood as the true and ultimate sacrifice for the Forgiveness of our sins so that we might have eternal life, and become one with christ Jesus.

The bread and juice I injest in the literal and human way of manifesting the reminder of the figurative illustration Jesus made for us at the last supper. Because Jesus was using physical elements to represent the unseen spirituality of the relationship we have with him, many people are disillusioned by the the complexity they make out of the simplicity.

For me, the bread is something I need everyday to be strengthened and able to be about HIS service. I may do things my way rather than HIS if I am not feed regularly on the words of truth which come from HIS body. It is the symbolic way of being sure I am choosing to take in only the truth rather than being decieved by my own ways in this world.

The blood is truely the way of healing. I am able to clear away sins I have, by gaining the consciousness of Christ, not just from HIS word, but also by having relationship with HIM. I am able to be made whole and holy, long enough to have communion with my LORD, before I slip back into letting the world distract me from HIS rightiousness and covering. This is when I am able to be near HIM in worship and wonderful love.

HIS sacrificed blood is the only way to gaining relationship with Jesus and our loving Father. I take in HIS HOLY SPIRIT and am refreshed by this simple act, in fellowship with other believers.

Pictures and sounds, thats what we use to remind us of something that has happened in our lives.

God uses something totally different, His Son. As John in his gospel describes Jesus as the Word - the message of God, wrapped in human flesh.

Christ has given us a 'picture' of His sacrifice; the broken bread, (His body) and wine/juice, (His blood shed for us) our sins are atoned for by His sacrifice, this wonderful gift given to each one of us from God.

So that we will not forget what He did on the cross. It's the one 'picture' he wants us to keep in mind and also in our hearts.

We thank God for this perfect Lamb that was sacrificed for us.

I also was raised with the literal interpretation of taking in the body and blood of Christ, but now belong to a church that believes in it figuratively. I do embrace that belief now also, but I cherish the reverance with which I was raised in sharing in the sacrifice Jesus offered and suffered through for our sake. I will always be thankful for the deeper meanings it called for me to ponder on.

When I take communion, it is not something to be done lightly or without thought. I am reminded we share in His suffering in our every day walk and we are to live a life as He did for others. Sometimes that calls for a death within ourselves as we give selflessly to another. I am reminded He is within me and it was only through the cross that I am reconciled. I am reminded that the best friend and brother I have, willingly died for me...just because He loves me so much and I'm reminded how obedient to our Father He was and even how much our Father gave to be reconciled with us. He willingly gave His only begotten Son. Who could understand such a love? I am reminded of not only our oneness with Christ in us, but of our oneness together. In the body of Christ. I know it is a time of reconciliation and not to be taken lightly if we hold anything against another. I am renewed in my love for Him when I take communion when I am reminded of His love and then...once again....I love, because He first loved me. I am encouraged to go out and share that love again....when I've become stale and have turned inward and forgotten as I so often humanly do.

Communion to me is such a time of renewal and reconciliation and a "sending out" again. It is a "Remembrance" of who Jesus was and what it is He came to show us and how we are to do the same and a renewal of doing it from a pure heart.

I guess my understanding is more figurative than literal. In the breaking of the bread and sharing the wine I feel the presence of our Lord and have a visiion of Him actually preforming the acts. Figurative because He was using the elements figuratively I believe.

Partaking of the Lord's Supper is a spiritual experience. It's a connecting point in a specific way of my spirit to the Spirit of Christ. The Supper is a reminder to me that my my sin was extremely costly; my salvation was gained by a spiritual victory that required the breaking of the Savior's physical body and the shedding of His literal blood on a cruel cross as He became my sin. It reminds me that the Spirit alone accomplishes the purpose of creating the character of Christ in me and transforming me to holiness. As I partake, I'm reminded I must live in and by the Spirit in order to please God.

Jesus instructed us to "Do this in remembrance of Me." We are forgetful creatures, and we need to remember! To me, the elements of the Supper are tangible memorials of the physical sacrifice He made so that I might spiritually live through Him in eternity. They are touchable sensory reminders of His call for my own spiritual sacrifice to die to myself so that He might physically live through me in my earthly life. The tangible presence of Christ is now at the right hand of the Father. His presence on earth is in Spirit, so I do not understand this to be a literal consumption of His body and blood. Again, it is a worshipful experience of the spirit for me.

The Supper is a humbling sacred remembrance of the tremendous cost of providing a restored relationship for me to Yahweh. It is a moving, renewing celebration of how much I am vastly loved by the Father, gloriously redeemed by the Son, and victoriously empowered by the Spirit. What a precious Savior, and what an important sacrament!

I just wanted to take a minute and state that I agree entirely with this post, and think it is wonderfully written!

I'm sorry to admit that since I help coordinate this part of the service I'm often concentrating on making sure all of the congregation has received the elements and concentrating on praying properly before the congrgation partakes. However I do strive to keep close accounts between me and the Savior on a daily basis and practicing His presence. Having said this I am very aware of His immediate presence in very special way during partaking of the Lord's Supper. I know by faith in what the scriptures say.

My understanding of the bread and wine which now is figurative. but in the past was literal-

as I grew up catholic till I was about 15 when I was saved thru a Bapitst youth fellowship I

was attending with a high school friend.

I feel that just the fact that the elements represent the Body and blood of christ that in itself

eather way I look at it if God is physically or spiritually present does not matter to me as much

as the fact He Is Presentand that in itself makes me go inward and ask the Holy Spirit

to show me where I have been wrong in the recent past. sins I may have not confessed and

it helps me repent and change so that when I approach and take communion that I will not

feel uncomfortable with God's presence.

I feel so strong about this that I will not partake if there is a circumstance where I have not

frogiven or seeked forgiveness from someone or have to make something right that I have

not attended to . I will wait till the next communion service. We in our church have communion

about once a month.

So I guess it makes me deal with sin in my life sooner because I enjoy communion and I usually

try not to let the sun go down without repenting and getting things right so I can feel free to

partake when we do have communion.

How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine help you to grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

To my mind, I am sure the words Jesus used were meant to be figurative but that He knew that the Lord's Supper would be more than just a commemoration. He knew as the marvellous treacher that He was that He was instituting a ceremony where He, through the Holy Spirit, would definitely be present and that He was giving a focus to the Christian community and His message.

He gives His body as a sacrifice, symbolised by the bread. We take it. We are all members of His body. Taking bread together reinfoces that and importance of everyone in the witnessing of His gospel.

We drink the wine and, as we do so, we are drawn to consider the enormity of the love of God to spill this blood, the blood of His Son, so precious to Him, so that we can receive the redemption that can only come from Jesus: salvation through Him. Each time we are drawn to contemplate the central Christian message. It is a wonderful experience and it draws us ever closer to Jesus. He knew that which is why He devised such an apparently simple, but compelling, ceremony of remembrance but one where He is definitely with us and hears what we ask for in His name. Through it I am refreshed and envigorated. There is no doubt that the bread and the wine or juice, while being natural food products, are also spiritual food and drink, which sustains us spiritually: a miracle in its way.

I have a feeling that the concept of the bread and wine being Jesus' body and blood is maybe physically figurative and spiritually literal. There is huge reality about how we treat the communion serice including the fact that disrespect can induce judgement (1 Cor 11:29). I think other translations call it a curse. It is certain that miracles have been associated with the partaking of communion. So the spiritual reality of what we are doing cannot be questioned. The physical reality, I believe, hinges on remembrance of the body and blood. It's as if we are to be extremely thoughtful and conscious of what we are doing because of the spiritual power involved in it. That power is there for healing and reconciliation, but misused will damage the soul. Let us then be very obedient when we participate in the communion., having forgiven, kept short accounts of sin, and put right all our relationships with God and men first. Then we will walk in blessing.

Q1. How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine (literal or figurative) help you grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

The bread and wine remind me that Christ gave his very self for those of us who believe. They also remind me that His atonement has provided the way to continue to "feed" on Him, commune with Him and enjoy Him as the only way to true joy and fulfillment for all eternity.

I BELIEVE THE BREAD AND WINE ARE FIGURATIVE REMINDERS OF WHAT LITERALLY HAPPENED ON THE CROSS WHEN HE GAVE HIS BODY FOR MY HEALING AND HIS BLOOD FOR THE REMISSION OF MY SINS.AT TIMES DURING THE COMMUNION I CAN ALMOST SENSE A LITERAL PRESENCE IN THE ROOM WHICH IS HIS HOLY SPIRIT WHO'S WITH ME ALWAYS. I TRY TO TAKE COMMUNION DAILY NOT OUT OF HABIT OR RELIGIOUS PRACTICE BUT I DESIRE TO COMMUNE AND FELLOWSHIP WITH HIM EACH DAY BY BREAKING BREAD. I ALSO DO IT BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN PROMPTED TO DO BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.COMMUNION HAS HELPED ME TREMENDOUSLY TO REALISE THE SACRIFICE HE PAID FOR MY SOUL.IT BRINGS ME BACK TO THE CROSS AND THE SUFFERING HE ENDURED BUT ALSO THE VICTORY HE WON FOR US OVER THE DEVIL.THANKS A MILLION LORD JESUS....GOD BLESS...

My belief is that Jesus was being figurative but I am not sure that one belief or the other would make you feel closer to Jesus when partaking of the Lord's Supper. I believe that it is the condition of your heart that makes you feel closer to Jesus at any time. Whether taken literally or figuratively Christ suffered the same amount of pain on the cross for me. It was still my sin that caused him so much pain and suffering and I am still not worthy. The same profound sense of awe and thankfulness at what Jesus sacrificed for me would take over no matter whether I believed that the bread and wine were really the body of my Saviour or not. It was still his body that was beaten and nailed to that cross and his blood that was shed for me. That is where my heart should be when I partake of the literal or figurative elements. Thank you Jesus!

How does your particular understanding of the bread and the wine help you to grow closer to Christ when partaking of the Lord's Supper?

To my mind, I am sure the words Jesus used were meant to be figurative but that He knew that the Lord's Supper would be more than just a commemoration. He knew as the marvellous treacher that He was that He was instituting a ceremony where He, through the Holy Spirit, would definitely be present and that He was giving a focus to the Christian community and His message.

He gives His body as a sacrifice, symbolised by the bread. We take it. We are all members of His body. Taking bread together reinfoces that and importance of everyone in the witnessing of His gospel.

We drink the wine and, as we do so, we are drawn to consider the enormity of the love of God to spill this blood, the blood of His Son, so precious to Him, so that we can receive the redemption that can only come from Jesus: salvation through Him. Each time we are drawn to contemplate the central Christian message. It is a wonderful experience and it draws us ever closer to Jesus. He knew that which is why He devised such an apparently simple, but compelling, ceremony of remembrance but one where He is definitely with us and hears what we ask for in His name. Through it I am refreshed and envigorated. There is no doubt that the bread and the wine or juice, while being natural food products, are also spiritual food and drink, which sustains us spiritually: a miracle in its way.

AMEN

To me the Lords body, the bread is His BROKEN body and for remembrance of what He did dying on the cross for me! I partake of the bread for nourishment and health, which I feel I get when I partake of His body the bread.

When you have a blood transfusion you are meant to get life and health from that blood. The Lords blood, the wine is a way for me to remember that we get health, life, love, peace and joy through Him. The most wonderful thing is that He poured out His blood as a covenant for the forgiveness of my sins. GLORY TO GOD OUR FATHER AND JESUS/YASHUA OUR SAVIOR!

I do not really care if people think the body and blood of the Lord is the symbol that I grew up believing and still believe or if it becomes His body. To me it is a remembrance of what He did and that is beautiful and Oh so wonderful!