JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Repitition

His whole life was sacrificed for us. How many Christians begin viewing that immense fact as "a given" in thier daily lives? Sure it can become mundane. Isn't it up to us to see it doesn't? How do we do this? I think it's up to each of us individually. I don't think practicing different ways of receiving the Lord's supper is necessarily going to have that result if the individual isn't maintaining a closeness with the Savior.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

Anything repeated as mere ritual runs the risk of becoming mundane and losing its meaning.

Jesus wanted the sacrament repeated so we would not forget the great loving sacrifice he made, so we would remember the new covenant and the need to commune frequently with Him and other saints. I also think he knew, as human beings, that engaging our physical as well as spiritual senses helps for us to focus better.

Q1. When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

If the church presents the Lord's Supper in a way of remembering what Christ gave for us, I believe it would not run the risk of being "mundane". Remembering what Christ sacraficed to save us from sin has an explosive meaning that one could not find it boring or mundane.

Jesus command us to "Do this in memory of me".

When repeated too often doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repepition?

Yes, it does run the risk of becoming mundane, if worship loses its proper context and participation. Many church services become a quiet place to sit in pleasant, sometimes historic, surroundings and reflect but not to worship or concentrate on the purpose of the service. This is not the kind of worship Jesus wanted or encouraged. The Lord's Supper focuses on Jesus' atoning sacrifice the giving of His body and the shedding of His blood for the sins of mankind. This is at the centre of our belief and the centre of our salvation. It is why we are Christians. The core of our faith should be something that we are reminded of regularly. We should renew it. The Lord's Supper is also spiritually a meal. It sustains and we should take this sustinenece regularly. It energises and strengthens. It is also a communual act. It brings members of His Church together as Jesus wanted. Jesus' institution of His Supper was an inspiration. Its repetition is essential for its effectiveness.

As it has been said the Lord's Supper cannot become mundane if the persons heart is not right or the teaching hasn't been done.

This is a time where we come into union with Christ, not just to remember what He done but to show thankfulness and gratitude for what He achieved on the cross for each one of us.

Why did Jesus command it? So we don't forget abot the wondrous gift He gave us, HIS LIFE!

We used to take the Lord's Supper every week in the Church that I grew up in. Then it was just one more item on a list of things that you did in worship service. Now in the Church that I attend, it is only served twice a year. This may seem disrespectfull to some, but when I do take the Lord's Supper, it is the focus of our intire worship service. We also come with that same deep desire to share the Supper that Jesus said He had. I think we should always have that hunger for the Supper in our spirit for the bread and the wine, before be partake of the spiritual food, otherwise it is only a ritual.

Q 1. a) When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning?

I don't believe it becomes mundane, nor do I believe it looses it's meaning. If it does for some folks, they must have lost their focus. Jesus died for all sin. If someone feels that the activity of sharing communion looses it's meaning, that person must have lost focus, or may have been separated from His Spirit with in themselves.

It is not everyday that Jesus is hung on the cross. This is not commonplace nor is this an ordinary day to day practice. This is not characteristic of the world to hang someone on a cross for their sin. If it were a common day practice, perhaps folks would think twice, before committing sin.

Jesus died so that we do not have to die for sin. Through Him, and His death on the cross, we are forgiven. BUT! we are not to continue in sin, nor are we to willingly sin. When we live a life of walking in His Spirit, and staying in His word daily and seeking His righteousness and His Kingdom, we are so far from sin and so far from this world, that we do not even think in those terms.

Q1 B) Why did Jesus command its repetition?

Just as Passover celebrates deliverance from slavery in Egypt, so the Lord's Supper celebrates deliverance from sin by the death of Jesus Christ. When Jesus died, His death ushered in the new covenant between God and us, just like was given the opportunity to those who wandered in the desert for 40 years. Most folks think they were Jews but they were a mixture of multitudes, called the Israelites. These were a chosen people, His Israel, whom He had intended to carry out His plan of redemption. Most of this population were Hebrew. Remember even today , there is no difference between Jew and Gentile. Just like there was no difference then. God is no respecter of person's. Those who enter into a relationship are His chosen people. God is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is the God of Israel. We, therefore are Israel, His chosen.

This very same reason of sharing communion, is why God sent Moses down to ask the Israelites if they wanted to come into a covenant with Him, before he shared His law with them. He didn

Yes, any ritual could become mundane, if we let it become so. We must purpose in our hearts & minds to keep each communion a real "communion" with our Lord in remembrance of what He did for us.

I believe the Lord wants us to continually have his sacrifice in our minds as we live out each day lest we forget. As some of those have stated, it is soooo easy for us to forget. So the Lord commanded us to remember & practice this intimate celebration.

This could never become mundane. For it is in rememberancew until God returns. I am a sinner and must repent every time. And thank Jesus for giving the ultimate sacrtifice for my behavior. Never loses it meaning and inner most feeling. Tha Jesus loved me do much that he suffered for little old me. PTL To be repeated for remeberance of our beloved Jesus and Savour.

It does not lose its meaning. Jesus wanted this to be repeated so to instill it in our minds, and in our hearts and to know what its true meaning is all about.

Taking the Lord's Supper could very easy become numdane to sleeping Christians in this day and age, but Jesus wanted us to take the Lord's Supper often as a reminder of what He did for each of us. We take everything in a mundane way today, killing, stealing, etc. so if we can do that in our lives today, don't you think it very possible that we as Christians have fallen to sleep and forgotten to worship, and praise and adore the very one who made it all possible for us to get to heaven. We become creatures of habit and forget why we do things and don't have any feelings at all when we do them and don't care why we do them except to be sure we do things because everybody else does. We must not go back, we must go forward, and in so doing, we MUST take the Lord's Supper often and with great pleasure and reverance.

thank you,

Rev. Dr. Jo Jordan

When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

This is a holy act and must be guided with the help of the holy spirit. In this way we stick to what the Lord has commanded.

It must not loose its value.

Anything we allow to become mundane in our lives is a reflection of the lack of graditude we have for what Jesus did for us on the cross. Each morning should be a new beginning for each of us in remembrance of His life in us as a result of His death for us. Jesus knew mankind and how easy it was for them to take things for granted and to forget the importance of what giving His life for us really meant. He wanted us to not only remember His death regularly but to remember His life in us daily. One way is through the Lord's supper. When I take the Lord's supper it is a reminder to me that Christ is in me and He is the hope of my glory. It reminds me that it is no longer I that lives but that Christ that lives in me. It reminds me that I can do the same works that Jesus did on this earth. It reminds me that greater is He who is in me than He who is in the world. The Lord's supper contains within it - wholeness, health, love, joy, peace and everything good that comes down from the Father of lights.

To me I would think that celebrating or partaking of the Lord'sSupper often would take away the awe and mystery associated with it. However, Others feel comfortable receiving it every day. Jesus commanding its repetition implies he does not want to be forgotten. The reason for partaking must be held up in that person's spiritual belief. The Clergy partaking in the 'ceremony' or service add s to the meaning of the service. What he/she puts into the Service will help implement the real meaning of the Service.

• 2 weeks later...

Things of this world often do become mundane and lose their meaning. The Lord's supper cannot however be looked at in like manner. It's frequent observance is a Christ-given mandate which was given such that this spiritual observance would not become mundane like secular observances. Christ knows everything, and had he known that often repeated observance would lead to a loss of meaning, he would not have commanded it.

Infact, its frequent observance should serve as a means of keeping those who partake of it in close contact with the Holy Spirit so that it does not depart from them. After all, the Sacrament should never be taken frivolously or lightly. It should always be a serious spiritual experience in which the participant is spiritually renewed and infused with greater zeal to make Jesus Christ the center of their lives.

The Lord Jesus commanded the repetition of the Lord's supper for the purpose that we remember

him and his life and what he did for us in the crucifiction and resurrection. If we make the Lord's

supper in our minds a means of thanksgiving for what is a gift well loved in our hearts the repition

frequently of this supper should only make us anxious to celebrate it not become mundane.

I don't think that someone saved from death in any way finds it mundane to repeatedly think of

what happened and be thankfull for what saved them again we should be joyful to think of what

Jesus did for us frequently , dailly, with renewed joy and thankfulness. And the many Scripture

passages and ways to celebrate this feast can aleviate any mundaneness. Be creative and change

tha way your church celebrates the feast ... and it will be new each week or month.

I feel as long as we keep in mind what the Lords Supper means that it shouldn't be considered mundane. Only if we lose the sight of Jesus will we lose the meaning of what it represents

The Lord's Supper can become mudane if we think of it as just another religious ritual.

However, if we reflect upon what Christ had to endure on the cross, then the Lord's Supper should have special meaning to us. It shouldn't matter if we partake daily, or once a month, or just a few times a year.

I believe Jesus commanded its repetition because we humans are forgetful creatures.

It is easy to forget or take for granted what Christ has done for us. We need the Lord's Supper as a visual reminder of what He had to endure on the cross.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT IT BECOMES MUNDANE, MYSELF. I BELIEVE THAT REPEATING TAKING COMMUNION (SOME CHURCHES ONCE A MONTH & SOME CHURCHES EVERY SUNDAY) YOU ARE CELEBRATING WITH THE LORD, JESUS CHRIST AND THE WONDERFUL THING THAT WAS GIVEN THE EARTH BY CHRIST'S CRUCIFIXION. THAT IS WHY CHRISTIANS NEED TO HAVE COMPLETE FAITH IN THE LORD. AS A CHRISTIAN I AM HONEORED TO BE ABLE TO CELEBRATE BY "BREAKING BREAD" (BODY) AND DRINKING WINE4 (BLOOD), IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIM.

• 1 month later...

How could something so essential to our survival as Christians become mudane? I really feel that the significance of this can never be lost if you understand that Christ wants to nourish you through His love and protection. As you write in the lesson, the Last Supper occurred once, but the Lord's Supper is continual and meant to nourish us spiritually and physically for eternity. It is one of the ways that we stay connected to God through Jesus Christ.

God has given His people eternal life and continual physical