JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Repitition

When repeated often does the Lord's supper run the risk of being mundane?

1. This indeed could happen if the procedure just becomes a daily practice at the local church without the pastor going into detail with his people the step by step details of the ordiance, so that it becomes a personal

matter with the parishioner, so they can fully see how much it cost for their salvation.

2 Why did Jesus command it's repetition?

Jesus willingly gave up his life on the cross, because He knew it was the Father's will and way the fellowhip

he wants with His creation would never be lost again. He knew that this was not a mere sacrifice to COVER

SIN, but a once and for all COVENANT to seal the relationship once for ever, and furthermore, no more need for animal blood :(a temporary thing) , but through Jesus, the redemption of man would be complete, and no condemnation would ever be on His people again, as Jesus paid the full price for our redemption.

''this had to be repeated for all the generations to come into the world, that there is a mighty God in heaven

who gave the ultimate sacrifice, that one day we would all be gathered around the throne of God, a family

that would rejoice for all eternity with the king of kings and lord of lords. Glory be to God...........Carl.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, very much so it can become mundane and boring and we can find our mind wandering. I know I do.

Every day I attend the 8 o' clock mass just before I go to work and most morning's I have a struggle to keep awake or stop my mind wandering to all the things I've got to do when I get to work. I've tried going to the lunch time mass, but that means I usually can't wait for mass to be over, just so I can go and get some lunch.

I must say that since I've started this course, it has made me take more notice of the Eucharist and I try to pay attention more. After all Our Lord did for us, it is the least I can do for Him. I may not succeed everytime but at least I try!

The command ''Do this in remembrance of me'' obligates us, not only to repeat the Eucharist again and again but to bring to mind the work that God's Son did for us on the cross. Then we can go forth nourished by God's word and by Christ's Body and Blood.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think that receiving the Lord's Supper often runs the risk of making it become mundane. On the contrary, the more we partake of the Lord's Supper, the more we have the opportunity to receive Christ. The celebration and remembrance of his death and resurrection not only strengthens us, but reminds us that we, too, must die to ourselves. This dying to our selfishness, pride, greed, tec. allows God's Spirit to use us to bring about His Kingdom here on earth.

Jesus commanded its repetition because we need to be strengthened often and to remember, along side our other brothers and sisters, Jesus example of how to die to ourselves.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT IT BECOMES MUNDANE, MYSELF. I BELIEVE THAT REPEATING TAKING COMMUNION (SOME CHURCHES ONCE A MONTH & SOME CHURCHES EVERY SUNDAY) YOU ARE CELEBRATING WITH THE LORD, JESUS CHRIST AND THE WONDERFUL THING THAT WAS GIVEN THE EARTH BY CHRIST'S CRUCIFIXION. THAT IS WHY CHRISTIANS NEED TO HAVE COMPLETE FAITH IN THE LORD. AS A CHRISTIAN I AM HONEORED TO BE ABLE TO CELEBRATE BY "BREAKING BREAD" (BODY) AND DRINKING WINE4 (BLOOD), IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIM.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT IT BECOMES MUNDANE, MYSELF. I BELIEVE THAT REPEATING TAKING COMMUNION (SOME CHURCHES ONCE A MONTH & SOME CHURCHES EVERY SUNDAY) YOU ARE CELEBRATING WITH THE LORD, JESUS CHRIST AND THE WONDERFUL THING THAT WAS GIVEN THE EARTH BY CHRIST'S CRUCIFIXION. THAT IS WHY CHRISTIANS NEED TO HAVE COMPLETE FAITH IN THE LORD. AS A CHRISTIAN I AM HONEORED TO BE ABLE TO CELEBRATE BY "BREAKING BREAD" (BODY) AND DRINKING WINE4 (BLOOD), IN REMEMBRANCE OF HIM.

Remember, some churches celebrate the Lord's Supper daily.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

All things repeated over and over can become mundane. The LORD's Supper can do the same. However, if we are talking it as we should, in rememberance of Jesus death, if we come humbly and reverantly to partake always remembering why we are doing this, then I think it could never be mundane. It should continually bring joy. This is the only way we could have been made righteous, by Jesus becoming sin and dieing for us. This is why he commanded us to do it continually, that we never forget His sacrifice.

• 5 months later...

Q1. When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning?

The Lord's Supper will never run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning. As the Word of God is a living word so is this holy ordinance. The act of eating the bread and of drinking the wine manifest the power of God in us every time we partake. Jesus' command was for this observance to be carried on into the future, specifically "until he comes." Jesus intends that, we, his disciples should continue to "do this."

Why did Jesus command its repetition?

Jesus commanded its repetition because as we continually partake of the bread and the wine, we do it in rememberance of him.

• 3 months later...

The Lord's Supper is only as mundane and meaningless as you permit it to be. The Lord's Supper was instituted to remember what Jesus did on the cross for us so we don't forget. And to remind us of the New Covenant that He initiated.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is how I see it...

The Lords Supper is not only about remembering the Lamb of God, if it was, then Yes, repeated often it would run the risk of becoming mundane.

However, the Lords Supper is about renewal, forgiveness and justification. It is about vividly imagining Christ, it is about taking in the very essence of Christ and having Christ live within. And just as the physical body needs regular exercise to not weaken, it is the same for the lighter body, the soul, call it what you want... without a regular practice to lift us, our Unity with God weakens. This is the reason for Jesus

• 1 month later...
Jesus is smart. He knows ordinary and /or mundane things or acts are easily forgotten. So, he commanded His disciples to keep repeating the Lord's Supper to remember what He did to cleanse us from our sins. Repeating an action becomes a habit. A habit becomes a part of our life. So that, when we miss or skip a particular habit, we look for it or hunger for it. An emptiness or a lack is created in us. In short, a "felt need" is created in our christian life. The more you grow in faith, the more you appreciate the meaning of Jesus ' last meal with His disciples. Thus, the practice of partaking of the bread and wine becomes "one of those habits" to "a good habit" to "a vital habit" to "a habit you cannot let go" in your walk with God.

Jesus is smart. He knows ordinary things are easily forgotten. So, he commanded His disciples to keep repeating the Lord's Supper to remember what He did to cleanse us from our sin. Repeating an action becomes a habit. A habit becomes a part of a person's life. So that, when we miss or skip doing this "habit" , we look for it or hunger for it. Our life becomes incomplete. In short, a "felt need" is created in our Christian life.

• 1 month later...
Q1. When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

Never could it become mundane. Every time we partake of the bread and/or wine we come into communion with Christ. A sacrament by definition is an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace given to us by Christ. In this sacrament, which Jesus instituted, we come into unity with him and with all other believers. We share in the life, death and resurrection of Christ and we come to experience his presence working in us. Being in love and fellowship with Jesus and with each other is essential, celebrating the Eucharist and being nourished by Chirst empowers us to step out in faith and do the work that God has called us to do. As his servant, fed and nourished by him and empowered by his Holy Spirit, I can live my life with confidence knowing that my sins are forgiven, I am the righteouness of Christ and in him, I live and have life forever. Truly I am blessed and I pray that others may come to know this blessing given to us by Jesus because he loves us and died for us. What a joy and a blessing to be loved so much by God that he would die for us and provide for us forever.

• 3 months later...

There is a risk if a person who partake in it doesn't fully understand the reason what and why he/she's doing it.Basically it is the Pastor/leaders responsibility to teach the significance of this ordinance to their congregations to prevent the risk of doing it as mere rituals.

Communion runs the risk of becoming mundane when we become lukewarm and lose our passion in our faithwalk , and just go through the motions. Jesus commands its repetition because I feel we are forgetful and get distracted often by the cares of this life. By the repetition of communion we are brought back to the foot of the Cross where we should be often.

• 2 months later...

No, I don't think reprating the Lord's Supper will ever become mundane or lose it's meaning. To me, how could anyone become bored or lose interest in what Jesus Christ has done for us. I think Jseus commands us to repeat the Lord's Supper so we won't forget what he has done and why.

• 1 year later...

No. Jesus wanted us to remember the sacrifice that He did for us. He said in both Luke 22:19b, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." In 1 Corinthians 11:23-26, it is written "For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, 'This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.' In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.' For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes."

God has always instructed us never to forget and always remember. This is taught throughout the Bible.

• 1 month later...

NO, I feel that the more often we participate in the Lord's Supper the more we realize the value or importance of it. The more we participate in it the more we etch it into our minds and spirits that this is a command and should be strictly complied with. . .

Jesus commanded it's repetition so that every generation of believers would be cognizant of what He did for all of humanity. . . God instructed the Israelites the "Passover" for the same reason - they failed to do so and as a result the people were, in a sense, ignorant of what he had done for them when He delivered them form Egyptian bondage. . .

Exodus 12:12-17 (NLT)

12 On that night I will pass through the land of Egypt and strike down every firstborn son and firstborn male animal in the land of Egypt. I will execute judgment against all the gods of Egypt, for I am the Lord!

13 But the blood on your doorposts will serve as a sign, marking the houses where you are staying. When I see the blood, I will pass over you. This plague of death will not touch you when I strike the land of Egypt.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Q1.

When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning?

Why did Jesus command its repetition?

Yes, I would think this could easily happen. However, if we fathom the full meaning and what Christ has done for us, I doubt whether it could ever become a mundane ritual. Jesus gave the command to repeat this act until He comes not only to remember His sacrifice, but also by eating the elements it reminds us that Christ is really within us. Eating together also reminds us of our unity with other believers in Christ

• 2 months later...

When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?

I do not think the repeating of the Lord's Supper would ever cause it to become mundane or an everyday thing....if we keep pur hearts in tune to the Savior and the reason we are doing this. Jesus commanded this to always remember Him and what He had done for us. He paid the price on the cross by His body shed for us and the blood poured out for our sin.

• 2 months later...

Q1. When repeated often, doesn't the Lord's Supper run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning? Why did Jesus command its repetition?There is a risk in repeating the Lord's Supper where it becomes mundane and without meaning. That is up to us. We allow that or purposefully focus and engage in this meaningful "remembrance" There would be a greater danger of us forgetting it if we did not do it. I personally like the practice of doing it once a month in order for it not to become a mere weekly ritual yet at the same time it is not forgotten.

• 2 years later...

Repetition of the Lord’s Supper can run the risk of becoming mundane and lose it is meaning if the reason for taking it is not taken seriously or fully understood.  Look at the Corinthians for example; it is obvious that they abused partaking of the Supper.  They had factions among themselves, they were eating their own private suppers, people were still hungry, and some even got drunk off the wine.  It was also more of a social gathering and distinctions were made between the rich and the poor.  Paul would not have written instructions to them on partaking of the Lord’s Supper if they had been taking it with reverence towards Christ.  Jesus commanded that the Supper be repeated because He wanted them and believers today to remember the sacrifice he made for us and it is also a basis for which forgiveness of sins must be done. 

• 5 months later...

To me, I repeat to me, the Lord's Supper will never run the risk of becoming mundane and lose its meaning.  This meal that I share with the members of our congregation and the Holy Spirit has deep emotional roots.  Our Savior, bled and died for me.  On the night he was betrayed he shared this meal with his disciples.  He will not eat this bread or drink of the vine again until He does it with me.  Those are powerful words.  Rarely do I partake of Holy Communion without tears.  Jesus commanded we do this often so we remember Him.  Remember what He did for us and why. We need to love the Father and love each other.

• 1 year later...

I feel in this time that the Lord's Supper and the act of communion has lost a lot of its meaning to a lot of people. But then I do not think that Jesus knew that there would be a lot of Sunday worshippers only. Or maybe He did. I think that He had hoped for more spirituality in people.

I think that its repetition was to keep His ultimate sacrifice in the fore front of our lives. He might have known that we would actually need this visual act so that we would not forget Him completely. This act might be the only way some people feel any spirituality in a non- spiritual church.