JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Koinonia, Sharing, Participating

Q2. What does koinōnia mean? What does it mean to "participate" or "share" in the blood of Christ?

Koinōnia means partnership, participation, a sharing.

To participate or share in the blood of Christ is to become part of the sacrifice Christ is for us and with fellow beleivers we share this intimacy with them and with Christ himself

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. What does koinōnia mean?

Koinonia is a common bond shared in by all who have participated. Meaning that not only do I have a common bond with Jesus Christ but I also have a common bond with all partakers of salvation through His shed blood.

What does it mean to "participate" or "share" in the blood of Christ?

When Jesus went to the cross, I went to the cross. When He was buried, I was buried. When He descended, I descended, and when He ascended, I ascended. If that were not true, then I would not be able to be called a co-heir with Jesus. I would not be able to be seated with Him in heavenly places. My citizenship would not be allowed to be in heaven. Alleluia!! What an awesome God we serve!!

KOINONIA MEANS TO PARTICIPATE OR SHARE AS IN COMMUNION WITH EACH OTHER.I THINK TO PARTICIPATE OR SHARE IN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST MEANS TO REMEMBER THE PRICE HE PAID FOR OUR SINS ON THE CROSS AND AS WE PARTICIPATE IN COMMUNION, WE REFLECT ON THE BLOOD THAT WAS POURED OUT SO WE COULD INHERIT SALVATION AND ETERNAL LIFE.LIFE IS IN THE BLOOD, SO WHEN HE GAVE HIS BLOOD, HE GAVE HIS VERY LIFE FOR US.THAT'S A PRIVILEGE AND I'M ETERNALLY GRATEFUL FOR THE BLOOD OF JESUS WHICH HAS WASHED AWAY ALL MY SINS AND ALSO THE BENEFITS OF THE PRECIOUS BLOOD WHEN I APPLY IT TO MY LIFE TODAY.IT HAS NEVER LOST ITS POWER TO DELIVER AND SET CAPTIVES FREE.WHEN WE TAKE COMMUNION TOGETHER AS THE BODY OF CHRIST, I THINK WE NEED TO FOCUS ON THESE THINGS AND LET GO OF ANY HANG- UPS WE MAY HAVE TOWARD OTHERS IN THE BODY.

• 2 weeks later...

Communion is for me the most intimate oportunity to nuture a personal relationship with God. To be able to share -Koinonia- with others in that relationship is such a gift. To share that bond of remembering Christ's sacrifice and the Father's love for us on a regular basis is the cornerstone of who we are as Christians.

• 2 weeks later...

Koinonia means participation, communion, or sharing.

Participating or sharing in the blood of Christ means, that as believers, we share in Christ's sacriface together. As Christians, we all have a share in or a claim upon the cross of Christ. :)

• 2 weeks later...

?Q2. What does koinōnia mean? What does it mean to "participate" or "share" in the blood of Christ

Koinonia means participation sharring communily in something.

as the christian community sharred in celebrating a feast representing the blood of Christ shed for {many)

or all of us.

To participate or share in " the blood of Christ " means that we do something and share in an expreience

in this case breaking of bread and sharring a cup of wine representing the elements which Jesus said were

to represent his body and blood in these sharring meals to remember him and his death for us.

particapition means to eat and drink together with the same representation in the mind of all

participating being remembered by all the same way.

Q2. What does koinōnia mean? What does it mean to "participate" or "share" in the blood of Christ?

Koinonia-is the relationship to the blood of Christ and to the Body of Christ as used by Paul. Actual meaning is sharing/participating/communion with others.

For the purposes of this lesson I believe it mean the BELIEVER'S RELATIONSHIP TO THE BLOOD OF CHRIST AND TO THE BODY OF CHRIST.

• 2 months later...

Koinonia means participation, communion or sharing. Everytime we have Holy Communion at church we participate in the Lord's supper with all our brothers and sisters around the world, we are all shareholders in the cross. Meditating on this should touch our very soul and remind us that we share in this not just with our Christian brothers and sisters today, but ever since Christ commanded our participation.

• 1 month later...

It is a sharing of, participation with others. It makes me a stakeholder in His sacrifice on the cross. It is an honor and priviledge to participate in the blood and the body

• 5 months later...

Q2. What does koinōnia mean?

It means to "participate," "to share," "to have in common with others."

It means that as believers in Christ Jesus we share, in common with all believers, the death of Christ and that in his death he made it possible for all to be forgiven and be redeemed unto eternal life.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I find this difficult, I feel that I may be missing something that later will be obvious to me.

a Gift is given and by receiving we participate and share in the Lords Supper. this much is easy for me to understand.

also, I understand that through Christ, I die to myself and live in Christ... but this doesn

thank you for sharing, I found this very helpful.

Pray I offend no one by posting this--its longer than our normal replies. I did a small study on the word and meaning of koinōnia a few years ago after becoming an administrator on a Christian fellowship board.

Anyway, in my studying came across this wonderfil illustration of koinōnia--reading it gave me a deeper understanding not only of the word, but of Jesus praying that we 'be one, as He and the Father are one...'

Participating together 'as one' in the Lords Supper is actually 'practicing koinōnia'

Cups : An Illustration Of Koinonia

- Charles Elliott Newbold, Jr.

As believers in Yeshua (Jesus' Hebrew name), we are the body of Messiah. As such, we are divinely connected to each other. We are in Kingdom of God relationship with each other. We may not always feel that way; it may not always look that way; but as far as the Kingdom is concerned, it is that way.

And so, we are in fellowship with each other. The word fellowship is so cheaply used these days, as are many other important words in the Bible, that it has lost the power of its meaning.

The Greek word for fellowship is koinonia. Koinonia has also been translated sharing, partaker, participation, partnership, communication, and communion. Each of these terms more deeply explains the other. Koinonia involves far more than getting together for a "covered dish dinner."

Think of it this way. Think of the spiritual relationships we have with each other as cups that are setting around on the table of the Lord. The Lord has graciously poured some wine into each of us as cups.

The wine represents the blood of his life that He poured out for us.

As members of His body, we are supposed to pour out of our cups into one another's cups. The more we pour and receive from each other's cups, the fuller our cups become. It's the principle of the loaves and fish. The more they were divided and shared, the more they multiplied. The life of His blood comes to us by His Holy Spirit through revelation, knowledge, wisdom, understanding, and spiritual experiences, and these things change our lives.

I once envisioned a table full of cups.

These cups represented people in the body of Messiah.

Many of them thought their cups were full of His wine.

They did not think others had anything new to pour into their cups. They would gladly pour out of their own cups of what they thought they knew, but would not receive from others. As far as they could tell, the wine in all the other cups looked the same, and they surmised that no one had anything to give that they did not already have.

If by chance someone's wine seemed different, they weren't about to mix it in with theirs. They failed to see that the blood of the Lamb, as with the bread of His body, is measured out in various kinds of gifts and ministries for us to share, and in the sharing of the parts, we might partake of the whole.

As a result, the cup became scattered about. Though they were still on the Lord's table, very much loved by Him, they had no true, deep, abiding, life-changing fellowship as a people knitted and fitly joined together.

Then, a strange thing happened. As I looked more closely, I saw that the cups were not filled with wine as they thought. The wine was mixed with pride. The more they separated themselves from touching each other spiritually, the more that pride filled the cups. Remember the scripture says that "pride puffs up?" Then it adds, "If any man thinks that he knows any thing, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Cor. 8:1-8.

As time went by, however, they began to recognize their lack, their neediness, their emptiness, and their loneliness. They humbled themselves and began to reach out to each other, permitting their need for Yeshua in each other to be known.

Little by little, they began to pour the wine of Yeshua's life into each other's cups that they might receive more of Him through each other as the body. A little getting together here. A little getting together there. A few failed attempts, but gradually more and more life was shared. Cups weren't just clanging against each other, hoping that some wine-life might splash over. Real pouring-out and receiving began to take place.

When I looked again, that strange thing had reversed itself. Those cups were being filled again with the wine of His life, flushing out the pride. That's koinonia!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What does koinōnia mean? I read on-line in the Blue Letter Bible (http://www.bluelette...ngs=G2842&t=KJV) that the definition is fellowship, association, community, communion, joint participation. Furthermore the share which one has in anything, participation; fellowship, intimacy; or the right hand as a sign and pledge of fellowship (in fulfilling the apostolic office) and a gift jointly contributed, a collection, a contribution, as exhibiting an embodiment and proof of fellowship

What does it mean to "participate" or "share" in the blood of Christ? It is to be part of a community of Christian believers in the celebration of the Lord's Supper. It allows all who participate to share in the remembrance of Him and His sacrifice for our sins.

• 1 month later...

koinonia - sharing something in common with others.

We participate or share in the blood of Jesus by being in Him, through our New Birth. Being born in Christ - in a sense, we share in all the things He had done - all the things that have happened or taken place in His body.

B)

• 1 month later...

It means that we share something (i.e. Jesus) in common with other people.

If we participate in the blood of Christ, we're part of His church.

• 3 months later...

Q2.

What does koinōnia mean?

Participation; partnership, communion.

We are participants in all the benefits and blessings that flow from the blood of Christ. We are in fellowship with Christ; participating and sharing in His sacrifice made for us.

• 2 months later...

What does koinōnia mean?

Sharing something in common with others.

In a sense it means that we are in this with our Savior.....that we share in the blood, in the body.....and that when we take this as communion, we particiapte in what Christ Jesus gave for us.

• 2 months later...

Q2. What does koinōnia mean? It means to participate or share. It carries the connotation of having something in common.

In one sense it means that true Christians have something in common -- participation in the body and blood of Christ. It also means we are participants in Christ's sacrifice for us. It refers to the fact that we are very closely connected or very much a part of His sacrifice.

• 2 years later...