JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Lord's Supper and Forgiveness

Because God forgave us we should forgive oithers. It is only by His grace that I am forgiven, ought not I have mercy on others as I have been shown mercy or am I so deserving of mercy and others aren't. If we don't humble ourselves and recognize that there's not even one sinless person among us and that we all deserve death then we hold ourselves in a higher light and look at others as sinful as the Phariseee.

Q4. What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness? Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

The words of institution say " for the forgiveness of sins.

"This is my blood ... which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.'" (Matthew 26:28)

Therefore to confess and repent for our sins before taking this bread and wine in a rememberance

of Jesus's death for our sins it is really appropriate we ask him for his forgiveness at this time and

celebrate this ordinance he gave us in the way he meant it for it says in the NT that we should

repent and ask forgiveness if we sin after wer are saved and he will be faithfull and forgive us our

sins and what better time than before taking of his body and blood in rememberance of his

death and sacrifice for us all.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness? Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

The Words of Institution gives a complete meaning and reason for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the Cross.

It is important to all and especially to me to repent my sins before partaking communion because it justifies my reason for believing in the Lord and Jesus Christ, having an understanding of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, following the path the Lord Jesus Christ has placed in front of me and why I need to follow his direction through reading the Bible, praying, and worshiping.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Q4. What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness?

The Words of Institution tells us that Christ blood was shed for the forgiveness and pardon of our sins.

Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

When we come to partake of the Lord's Supper it is important for us to repent of known sin so that we may received the forgiveness and pardon that the blood was shed for. So that when we drink of the cup we do so without guilt.

• 4 months later...

The Words of the Institution say to me that God through Jesus' shed blood has forgiven me of my sin. It is important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper because this is in rememberance of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for giveness of our sin. It is appropriate for us to ask forgiveness of sin prior to this memorial supper.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

the Words of Institution tell us that forgiveness is in Christ's blood.

when we remember why Christ died, we are of course remorseful for our sins.

It is important for us to repent of our sins before reaching out to our Lord for forgiveness, how can we be sincere in our longing for Christ if we don't regret and want to be rid of our sinful ways. How can we expect to achieve Holy Communion in the Lords Supper, or to successfully reach out to our Lord in pray, with out desiring the Goodness that is Christ. And in desiring Christ it automatically follows that we want to turn from sin. By turning our backs to sin we find the Peace we need for Unity.

"the man who knows the good he ought to do and does not is a sinner" James 4:17

• 8 months later...

The Words of Institution says to me that all of my sins are forgiven. There is nothing I have done that God will not forgive. It is important that we repent of our sins before taking the Lord's Supper so we will stay under his grace and mercy.

• 1 year later...

What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness? It is important to know that 'the purpose of that sacrifice, of course, is forgiveness, pardon, freeing from sin'. as Pastor Ralph noted in his commentary. In Matthew 26:28, it is very clear about forgiveness as noted in the Scripture verse as follows "This is my blood ... which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.'"

Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper? We must be open to the Lord about our sins before we approach the Table and take Communion. In Corinthians, Paul tells us the importance of repenting. In 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 (NIV), "Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself." The Message Bible for these verses are even descriptive for the importance of repenting before Communion. The verses from the Message Bible are as follows: "Anyone who eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Master irreverently is like part of the crowd that jeered and spit on him at his death. Is that the kind of "remembrance" you want to be part of? Examine your motives, test your heart, come to this meal in holy awe. If you give no thought (or worse, don't care) about the broken body of the Master when you eat and drink, you're running the risk of serious consequences."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness?

Jesus gave Himself as an atonement for our sins through the shedding of His blood. We have been justified through His blood....we no longer have to beat ourselves up dailt, all we need to do is believe in Jesus as our Lord and Savior and our sins are forgiven and forgotten. He paid the price in full....forever for us.

Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

We need to be mindful that we are acting in accordance with what is right and just and true. We would not want to take of the Lord's Supper...the body and blood of Christ without really examining our heart. Praise God...I am covered by His blood.

• 2 months later...

Q4. What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness? The blood poured out is to bring about forgiveness -- which is freedom from guilt or punishment.

Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper? This forgiveness of sins is not automatic but requires something from us. We have to recognize the sin for what it is -- something very offensive to God. We have to want it out of our lives for good. With this attitude of repentance, then we will receive the forgiveness desired at the Lord's Supper.

• 2 years later...

Jesus’ blood was shed for the forgiveness and pardon of man’s sins and there is no sin that is too great for God to forgive if we ask for His forgiveness.  Therefore, it is vital that we repent of any sin especially, before partaking in the supper because we give affirmation of the sacrifice He made for us.

• 5 months later...

In my Church as we come to His Table we come if we have ask for forgiveness for our sins and have forgiven others.  We are in love and fellowship with our neighbors.  Christ died for us and as often as we share His Holy Meal we are remembering Him.  We must be in love and fellowship with our neighbors because He forgives us our sins as we must for others theirs.

• 1 year later...

Christ died on the Cross, His blood was poured our so that the sins of man may be forgiven by God. We need to acknowledge that we are not perfect and that we know the things that we have done to cause sin to enter into our hearts. We acknowledge our weaknesses and we beg God to forgive us. We take responsibility for our actions and we make ourselves worthy in God's and Jesus's eyes to share in this great feast.

• 3 years later...

Q4. What do the Words of Institution say to us about forgiveness? Why is it important for us to repent of known sin before taking the Lord's Supper?

1. This is my blood poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood.

We take of communion unworthily if we haven't confessed and repented of known sins in our lives. We ought to examine our self before we eat the bread and drink of the cup." We should to do this in reverence for God and so that we will not bring judgement on ourselves.To partake of the Lord's Supper in full faith. To my affirming that Christ's blood was shed for my forgiveness and my pardon.