JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

The Lord's Table is such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus because sharing a meal with someone is such a social event. When we gather together with friends and family around a table to share food and companionship it is a time of great joy as we catch up on news and gossip.

Food has always been a source of showing someone hospitality, whether we are having a casual lunch break with someone or a meal that is rich in memories; such as a birthday meal we can be sure that intimacy and enjoyment can be found. That is why partaking of the Lord's supper at His table should be for us an intimate and joyful occasion, because this time it is the Lord who is inviting us to join Him not our friends or family.

It is a very remarkable thing, that our Lord and saviour should invite us to join Him in sharing this meal; which is probanly going to be the most important meal we will ever eat!

• 2 weeks later...

1. Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus? 2. In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories? 3. How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?

1. Because we are remembering what he did for us in dying for our sins. We are also asking him to protect us and give us what we need to resist temptation, and to fulfill God's plan and purpose for us.

2. I enjoy hearing about people's lives, their stories, those experiences that have influenced who they are today. So, when people are real and genuine and want to share themselves, to me, that memorable.

3. It will help me to remember to tell Jesus what is going on with me and to thank Him for making the way for me and for protecting me.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus? In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories? How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?

Only the 12 Apostles were at this meal with Jesus. They were the 12 closest to Him. It was the instituting of the New Covenant, just before He was taken to soon be sacrificed. An unforgettable meal with close friends, sharing and enjoying each others company in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. To remind me Jesus is my close friend. God wants to be our friend too.

• 4 months later...

Q4. Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus?

The Lord's Table is a time of intimate fellowship because it is shared with friends and people of like passions.

In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories?

Meals with friends that are rich with memories as opposed to those which are casual and forgettable, are laced with intimate moments. There would be times of sharing personal details and expressions that are precious. It is a time of closeness.

How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?

Just knowing that you are obeying Christ command and that you are sharing in this very personal gift that He has given to the whole world should make every experience of the Lord's Table precious.

• 4 months later...

Paul said that we are all one in Christ and I believe that. The single loaf on the altar applies to individual Christians as well as to denominations.

We try to justify that another demonination that we do not agree with is some how less Christian than we are and that justifies our disassociation with them and bad mouthing them. This is totally wrong. We are all one in Christ.

• 4 months later...

Q4. Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus?

This is a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus because we are remembering the sacrifice of love that He made for us.

In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories?

If you

• 4 months later...

It is a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus because it is in remembrance of his sacrifice for us, the shedding of his blood. Friendship, companionship, and closeness with others makes a meal with friends one which is rich with memories.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Q4. Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus? In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories? How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?

It is intimate fellowship with Jesus because it draws us close to Him. To me, I think the difference is with rich memories, you keep going back to remember, the good food, the fellowship, the time spent with friends. When you remember, you try to get more out of it, more that will fill you to satisfication. To me, it is more meaningful because I want to seek more of the Lord all the time. I can't get full of the good meal. I am thirsty and hungry for more of the Lord. I want the close fellowship.

• 1 year later...

I never really thought about this since when I am taking Communion, other people are around me. Really it is between Jesus and me and therefore He should be my only focus. In the future I will experience the intimate relationship with our Savior. WOW, WHAT A REVELATION!

• 2 months later...

It is a time of bonding and committing to a stronger and intimate relationship. . .

Not always - some are in relation to business - some are unplanned - however, there are those meals that are intended to strengthen relationships and do have a very rich meaning. . .

Coming into the revelation that it can and should strengthen my relationship with Christ and make it more intimate has made my participation in the "Lord's Supper" more meaningful. . .

B)

• 1 month later...

Because we 'eat' Jesus.

Well, if you really like eachother.

• 3 months later...

Q4.

Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus?

We are sharing a Covenant Meal with our Saviour.

Wonderful fellowship and of course good food.

How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?

Just by focussing on what our Lord Jesus did for us on the Cross makes the Lord

• 2 months later...

Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus? In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories? How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?

Jesus invited His closest, His nearest and dearest to share the meal....a symbolism of what was to come and it was such a close gesture. To eat with friends and really talk, to share ones heart, ones's thoughts, beliefs and to feel warm and accepted makes all of the differnce when sharing a meal. It is not just the food....it is the closeness, the fellowship. I think we need to mark our heart open to the Holy will of God....to draw near to Him with love, joy and to remember what He gave for us.

• 2 months later...

Q4. Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus?It is communion with Him, deep sharing one with another.

In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories? A meal rich with memories is one that is taken in a very relaxed way with deep sharing one of another.

How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?If I focus on the the words and allow them to speak to me, I will experience a deep meaningful communion with my Lord.

• 2 years later...

It is good to be in fellowship and in the presence of Jesus anytime.  Sharing a casual meal with co-workers does not offer a more intimate fellowship and the discussions (if any) are not the same or as personable as with family or friends.  Meals with family or friends can be more personable and intimate especially if they are a close-knit group.  Between these two meals, both can have rich moments.  Then there are the meals where some at the table are not in favor of others and people cannot wait for the meal to be over.  The experience of being a guest at the Lord’s Table is of no comparison because He is the Host and He knows how to care for and fellowship with His friends.     

• 5 months later...

The Lord's Table is an intimate fellowship with the Master for me.  This meal is the last meal he shared in which took the cup.  He will not take the cup again until He takes it with me in the New Jerusalem.  This meal is His body, His blood, His life for me.  He died for me for the sins I have yet to commit.  He loves that much!  A meal shared with those I love and care deeply for a most memorable.  We share feelings, laughter, and joy.  A meal shared with those I am only aquainted with pass into oblivion.  I do not remember them.  I think coming to the Table we need to remember we are all God's children.  He created us all and we are to live in harmony.

• 1 year later...

Each time we partake in communion at the Lord's table, we are b uilding a stronger relationship with Jesus. We are reaffirming our belief and love and faith in Him. We are remembering what He did for us. And we are remembering that He is always there for us. When we share a meal that touches or heart and soul with either memories or the sharing of a joyous event, we grow streonger as a community. We have a strong common bond. Each time we approach the Lord's table, we should be looking to strengthen the bond we have with Him. We should approach with love and leave even more filled with His love. Our hearts should burst with extreme joy each time we eat and drink in His presence.

• 2 years later...

- It is a time to remember what Christ did for me,Forgiveness of my sin.-

- A casual meal,is easily forgotten,A forgettable meal is when we are close,fellowship takes place with friends and family. 

- Closeness with the Lord,to feel his love for me and to remember him until he retutns,

• 1 year later...

Q4. Why is the Lord's Table such a time of intimate fellowship with Jesus? In your experience with having meals with friends, what makes the difference between a casual, forgettable meal, and one which is rich with memories? How can this insight make your experience of the Lord's Table more meaningful?

1. The Lord's Supper is a meal that brings honor, value, a remembrance of him dying on the cross for me, and a closer fellowship with him.

2. I enjoy the one rich with memories more so. I pray about the forgettable meal and appreciate the casual meal.

3. I think about the honor it has for me and what Jesus did for me to have that great meaning. It brings a closer relationship, and intimacy with Jesus.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Table Intimacy