JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

(John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

Jesus is saying in both instances that He is giving His body as a sacrifice for all, so that we may have eternal life. He is paying the price with His body.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

His Flesh, is His life which is the ultimate sacrifice that had to be made to forgive our sins once for all. He makes the New Covenant with us using His flesh as the bread of life.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"?

Jesus was refering to his death on the cross, where upon, He gave his life for the sin of the world. Jesus' gift of his body is for "the life of the world," that is eternal life.

What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

Jesus commanded his disciples to commemorate his gift to the world by partaking in the Lord's Supper.

• 4 months later...

Jesus is referring, when He says "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"?, to His physical body that He gave/sacrificed so that we could have eternal life with God.

Both passages record Jesus' teaching that He was going to give His physical body not only for His disciples, but for the entire world.

• 4 months later...

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"?

He was saying that He is the Bread of Life. Those who eat of this bread will have eternal life.

What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

The similarities are profound

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

He is referring to His sacrifice as the Lamb of God.

What similarities do I see? I see the same words being used

Bread - meaning His Energy, His Great Goodness.

body and flesh - these words point to where the energy is to be found, it is found by focusing on His life and death

given and give - meaning given up, sacrificed

for - on behalf of, for the sake of someone or something

perhaps the difference comes at the end with:

you - meaning us

and life of the world - meaning new life, eternal life in Unity

• 7 months later...
Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

Jesus is saying that he is willing to give his life on the cross, even though he is God, and sent by God, he is determined to give his life so we can have eternal life. The similarities are the same. Jesus was telling them that they would have eternal life through his death, BY FAITH.

• 1 year later...

John 6:51 - I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

Luke 22:19 - And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

What is Jesus referring to when he says, in John 6:51b, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? If we accept and believe in Jesus, He will give us eternal life with Him.

What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b? In John 6:51, He is explaining to the disciples what His body means and that when take the bread, it will mean eternal life. In Luke 22:19, Jesus actually is now giving it to them and He is telling them that each time they celebrate this Supper, they shall always remember Him and what He did for us.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

With 'bread' Jesus means institution for His flesh.

His flesh died to wash away our sins.

The bread is a replacer of His flesh to remember Him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Q2. (John 6:51b)

What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"?

Eternal life.

To me, both verses have the same meaning.

• 2 months later...

What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?

At the Last Supper He said that He gave thanks, for His body given for me.....for me.....

In John He compared bread to His flesh....given for the life of the world. We are a people who understand by stories....by the telling and the understanding of what Christ Jesus did for us. What a joy to know how deeply we are loved, to this day, I am His beloved.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? He says that He gives His body to the world as a gift that will bring them life, eternal life.

What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b?He is saying essentially the same thing at a different time -- "My body given for you..."

• 2 years later...

Jesus emphasizes strongly believing because we must believe in Him and that through Him there is everlasting life, you must believe it to have it.  The twelve disciples knew and believed that Jesus was the Son of the true living God; those who did not turned away.  True disciples continue to abide in Jesus, they hold to His teachings, they know the truth and obey, and are set free. 

• 5 months later...

When Jesus says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world," he is saying I am giving my body so that those who believe will have eternal life.  The similarities with the Last Supper are He uses the common household item like bread to be extraordinary.  The bread is His body which is the sin sacrifice for us.

• 5 months later...

Other than what I receive from this link I have no human help with this study.  I depend only on Holy Spirit.  I do the lesson and then come look at the comments of other witnesses.  When I got to this question John 17 came to mind.  In vs 6-19 Jesus is praying for those who have seen him and been with him.  In vs 20-25 he is praying for those who will believe in him in the future, those who will never experience his physical presence.  In these passages I see him showing the purpose and intention of God in Christ's sacrifice.  We understand today and tomorrow but Jesus is opening our minds and thoughts to eternity..  The Last Supper is a pivot point in God's promises.  The symbol of bread was one of remembrance of Passover and manna.  Now the symbol changes from past to future, from Jews to world, from past to perpetual completion of Gods promises daily into eternity.  In todays language this is the tipping point when we come into a great new understanding of and relationship with God.

• 8 months later...

I feel that Jesus was comparing his death on the cross to the Last Supper. He was giving us an insight to what his death would entail and why he was doing this. In Luke, Jesus is talking more on a personal level. He seems to be telling us what we are individuals are important to him. In John, Jesus is telling us that he is going to save the world. We now have a glimpse of the future and how his life is going to affect more people than just the Jews.

• 3 years later...

Q2. (John 6:51b) What is Jesus referring to when he says, "This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world"? What similarities do you see with Jesus' teaching at the Last Supper in Luke 22:19b? 

1. It was his "body, physical body" given for us which he took on our sins on the cross.

2.  The bread was his broken body given for us to eat as a remembrance of him on the cross. Bread of life is similar in both scriptures