JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Ephesians 1:18d) Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed?

We are powerless perhaps because we have chosen to live below our hope which is a function of our faith.

Some congregations believe the same power that raised Lazarus from the tomb, healed blind eyes, and that broke the bread and fish to feed 5,000 is at their disposal and in them.

Perhaps we must lay hold of this power through faith by realizing "God has revealed it to us byhis Spirit."

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a hard question. Clearly, faith is what gives the Holy Spirit the power to work in our lives. It's hard to build faith, however, without playing mind games with oneself. We read about people having faith in the Bible then getting healed, so we try really, really hard to have faith. Then it comes back down to our own personal efforts again. I don't think I really know how to build my own faith without simply asking for it. I need faith in order to have faith, I guess! I need the power of the Holy Spirit right now to get me through some trials. So I am going to ask for it and trust God to provide, even when I don't "feel" the faith.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Ephesians 1:18d) Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Jesus made the position quite clear to His disciples about what power they would have through faith, but it was faith which was the key. With faith He told them they would be able to move mountains. This applies equally to us at it applied to the disciples and God has not changed, so clearly, it is faith which is lacking.

Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed? I suppose that it is a question of teaching, although why some movements/ congregations don't teach this miracle believing faith, I don't know. If you read what Jesus and the Apostles taught and did, it should be clear that this miracle working power which they exercised should still be there for us today (as I say above, God has not changed). What it comes down to, I think is that people pray for things to happen, and if they don't, then they see the reason as being that miracles don't happen. This though is a very difficult question to answer when faced by someone who has prayed fervently that, for example, a loved one will be healed of some disease and they haven't and it is a question which I am still not able to answer. I do believe in miracles (I have seen them happen in my own life). However, they don't always happen. Why? I don't know!!

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Ephesians 1:18d) Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed?

We are powerless sometimes because of lack of faith and it has nothing to do with the source Jesus Christ it has to do with us and our lack of staying in touch with Him every day. I can not say why other churches produce more disciples but by my experience with some churches and the one i'm involved in now my first guess would be lack of fellowship. Fellowship with Christ is first and then fellowship with other members of the body of Christ I believe is essential, so staying in tune/fellowship with Christ and with the Church family I have now has really helped me to keep my faith and I am very thankful for that and the wonderful God fearing wife that Christ has given me!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

3a)Laying hold/grasping the power that empowered jesus ministry here on earth, is a function of our faith. God is opening the eyes of our hearts to broaden our faith and stir us up. b)If we are powerless sometimes, it maybe due to us operating outside what God has asked us to do. need not over stretch my resources and focus on what God wants me to do. c)congregations having worship & praising risen Christ and the word at the centre of ministry builds faith and power. d)keep Christ at the centre, and he will do the rest! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going thru some hard times right now... The BIBLE tells us not to be afraid, and believe in GOD, but I've been in fear lately. I'm trying to overcome this fear. I pray to god always

• 4 weeks later...

There are congregations who do not believe in Jesus' power. They don't want miracles. They just want you to shut up, be THEIR sheep instead of being Jesus' sheep. You are viewed as crazy if you believe in the full Gospel. Too unpredictable I guess. Others - I don't know why - they focus on the good. That Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today. Jesus LIVES - and our Father is the God of the living, not the dead. There must be many more helpers in heaven than there used to be since we become as angels when we die. This is good news. Let's be together, in one accord in prayer. To pray as the scriptures taught us, not as man teaches. Let us ask of Him rightly, not in vain-glory to spend it on our fleshly natures - but to truly seek His glory. To truly in our hearts know Him and His Righteousness. Then we will see our prayers answered and miracles in front of our eyes.

• 6 months later...

We are powerless because we are disconnected from Christ; we are not abiding with Christ; we are not positioned with Christ. Therefore we are not seated with the resurrected Christ.

Faith comes by hearing the Word of God; hearing with the "Spirit of wisdom and revelation". When we know Him better, we know His plans and purposes for us and we are joyful to fulfill them. Being joyful and grateful and worshipful in Him and His plans for our lives, puts us in a position of the resurrection power for His glory and the outworking of the five-fold gifts within the congregation.

This can be changed by us walking in the reality of His resurrection power in our lives and imploring God for His Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that we can know him better, by asking for boldness to "work out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will." Practice makes perfect. King David slew beasts before he slew Goliath. Jesus turned water into wine before he raised Lazarus from the dead. Believe for opportunities around us to delight our heavenly Father and practice our faith!

• 2 months later...

We are powerless sometimes because we have not yet grasped the truth of the gospel that we are filled with incomparably great power and that the same power that empowered Jesus' ministry on earth dwells in us.

I believe it is not an inadequacy with the power source but rather it is an inadequacy with our faith.

Some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith because they are Bible-based and the Word of God is taught and others produce disciples with wimpy faith because they are liberal and syncretic in their teachings of the Word of God. They watered down the truth of the gospel.

This can only be changed by teaching the truth of the gospel and this truth will changed their outlook on life and set them free forever.

We are powerless sometimes because we have not yet grasped the truth of the gospel.

I believe it is not an inadequacy with the power source but rather it is an inadequacy with our faith.

Some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith because they are Bible-based and the Word of God is taught. Others produce disciples with wimpy faith because they are liberal and syncretic in their teachings of the Word of God. They watered down the truth of the gospel.

This can only be changed by teaching the truth of the gospel and this truth will changed their outlook on life and set them free forever.

• 3 weeks later...

We feel powerless because we let the world's problem rest on us instead of giving them to Christ & God in our prayers.

God is always suffient for the task on hand however sometimes we take our eyes of Christ & try to handle things on our own. That is where the trouble starts.

The churches that use the Bible has the center of teaching will produce true disciples while the churches that use human ritual as the center of teaching will produce disciples that won't produce "good fruit".

The Bible has to be the foundation of the church.

• 1 year later...

I think that we are powerless sometimes because we don’t have the faith that we need. Because the inadequacy is with our faith. I think that some congregations and movements produce disciples that have miracle-believing faith because the pastor has empowered them to know that they have this type of faith. It also requires us to read the bible and believe in what it is telling us.

• 4 months later...

Why are we powerless sometimes?

The scripture says that you are filled with incomparably great power toward us who believe. We are to lay hold of that power experientially by faith.

Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith?

It's with our faith

Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith?

Some pastors avoid teaching about the power of the Holy Spirit

How can this be changed?

By good teaching, Faith can't grow without good knowledge.

• 1 year later...

Sometimes we are powerless because we lose faith (doubt) or fail to believe. The inadequacy is in our faith, but by prayer and hope the Lord will help us to believe (help our faith). Some denominations believe in all the gifts the Lord has bestowed upon us, as in Acts, where the Holy Spirit had manifested these gifts to the early church. Some denominations place man made demands on their congregations and down play the gifts creating a limit or wimpy faith. We can change this by putting our full trust in Christ and the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to do His works through us. Praise God!    

• 1 year later...

I feel that we sometimes "think" we are powerless. Our fear is what stops us from action. I feel that we do not have faith at those times. We forget that God is always there for us. We forget to trust in the Lord to take care of us like promised. We forget about the foot prints in the sand. God is there to carry us through.

I feel that individuals will look for churches that have people like themselves. I think the term is church shopping. They will find a place where they are welcomed, that they feel safe and wehre they can be themselves and grow in faith. So if people are filled with a miracle- believing faith, these people will find others to worship with. They will support each other and they will help each other grow.

Churches with a wimp faith congregation are those churches that do not have a spark for life. They are happy with the pastor just being a chaplain and taking care of them. They are nothing more than Sunday worshippers. They are only there to fulfill an obligation. There is no apparent live faith there and there is no growth.

• 2 years later...
On 7/23/2006 at 9:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We fail to see it, to believe it, to have faith, to stay close to the HOLY SPIRIT.

It is inadequacy with our Faith,

Faith comes by hearing, hearing comes from the word of God.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q11. Unmeasurable Power
  • 1 month later...
On 10/2/2006 at 11:42 AM, Guest Tabatha said:

:rolleyes: This is a question that I have sought God for so many times, I have prayed that it would be revealed to the churches. I can give so many reasons other than faith. Faith is hindered by Religion, tradition, unbelief, fear, lack of fellowship out side of the church. social church. quenching the Spirit. Gossiping, judging, lack of prayer, lack of teaching, lack of understanding, lack of real love for one another

Now that I have given the above reasons. I will give you thoughts and reasons to ponder on.

The hearts of many within the body have hardened, towards each other and those dying in the world, Once the church flourshed loving your neighbor and preaching the true gospel, Now it has become hard to find love and compassion from a fellow brother or sister People are hurt and leave the church There is a famine in the land of the Word of God being preached. Where are the saints who encourage and pray for one another? Where are the saints helping one another? where are the saints who fellowship with the unlovely, The saints have become self centered and the churches have grown inward. They ae distracted by lifes issues. Most of the churches have become numb, not feeling one way or the other towards the needs of others. They run to conferences to be blessed when God is calling them to be a blessing Many members within the body close their their eyes of their heart to those that the Holy Spirit has shown a need of a helping hand. What would Jesus do?

Is it because the saints no longer have the love of Christ within their hearts because they have waxed cold?

Without love the Body of Christ can not move in the power God has given them. Jesus is love and that love must be in us to be bold in the faith of His resurrection power. May God Forgive and help us out of our complacency and self centeredness. How can this be changed. Get on our faces before God in repentence and let Him cleanse our hearts. Psalm 51 as David cried out "create in me a clean heart renew a right Spirit in me." Matt. 10:42

Amen ??  I concur, could not have said it better!

Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed?

We are powerless without God; as we began the walk of faith, we start knowing God and feel a deep desire to know Him experientially but it is a process. This process is holiness. 

Holiness means separate. Is the process in which we gain spiritual maturity because we are closer to God and as a consequence, separate from the world. 

When we spend a lot of time with someone we begin to look or sound more like them. That is natural. 

But if the one we are spending time with is God, we would begin the process of looking and sounding more like Him, becoming that light that brings praise for Him. 

That's why James said there's no true faith without works: “So too, faith, if it does not have works [to back it up], is by itself dead [inoperative and ineffective].”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:17‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Faith is not just saying: I believe! And it's done, Faith is our relationship with the Father, Son, and H.S., faith means we know them, hear them and obey. That's why there is no faith without works. 

As we mature in spirit because we look more like Jesus we do what He says, not what we want, even if it sounds impossible. That's when, if God's willing, the power comes in. 

Many may think I am saying you need works to be saved and refer me to our very own Ephesians 8-9:

“For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you have been saved [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God; not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation].”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:8-9‬ ‭AMP‬‬

But this clearly states grace through faith. (there's no faith without works) The works that this verse refers to are works without faith, being “morally” good, and following the Bible without really KNOWING God. 

“And then I will declare to them publicly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me [you are banished from My presence], you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].’”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:23‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Is not the source of our faith, is our lack of understanding of what faith is and therefore our lack of faith. 

Congregations should produce faithful disciples that are submitted to God and aware that He can do miracles if He chooses to, we don't declare anything! We listen and obey, just like Jesus. All power and glory belong to Him, we are instruments, servants of our loving God. 

Q11. (Ephesians 1:19) Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith?

Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed?

The promised power is available to only those that believe. We therefore need to earnestly pray for the Lord God Almighty to increase our faith and ignite the power deposited in us and help us to believe so that we will exhibit all the power that Jesus was able to exhibit here on earth.

Q11. (Ephesians 1:19) Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed? 
It is only when we totally trust God in our life, and choose to obey His Word that God will manifest His power in our lives. It is our lack of faith, and the unforgiving sin in our lives that withholds this power. We have to keep focused on our Lord Jesus, repent and confess our sins continuously, study the Word, pray, and let the Holy Spirit transform us daily into the likeness of Jesus. I believe if we try to do things in our own power we will fail miserably. 

This question flips back and forth between the individual and the church -- the answer is different for each.  

The church is powerless because 1) It overtly preaches that the miracles of the Bible are no longer possible (John MacArthur and the "cessationists"), 2) the structure and habits of the church are more like a social club or B-grade country club than a church so there's no forum to do miracles or express spiritual power, 3) it's hard to imagine asking the HS to revive the church, to change it into a body that re-presents Christ; we have a conceptual falling-short, 4) we desperately need revival that's not forthcoming.

Individuals are powerless for different reasons: 1) sin: we don't confess and deal with it; we aren't very concerned with sins of which the culture approves so the Holy Spirit is thwarted, 2) spiritual immaturity: older people are often just as immature as younger ones so there are few to teach about how to use and appropriate spiritual power 3) social media: utterly corrosive obsession with how other people live and look at us, sanctioned narcissism that looks within, not to the Holy Spirit, 4) cynicism: the people on the television who are faith healers, etc., are often frauds which lends to the thought that all spiritual miracles have a fraudulent core or essence, 5) bad teaching: if we're not shown/taught miracles, we don't strive and beg God for them, 6) the present age: this may be a time when individuals in the church are being prepared, softly and slowly, for persecution, not a time of miracles (which may be coming). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2006 at 9:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q11. (Ephesians 1:18d) Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed?

Because we don't believe the Word of God that He sent His Holy Spirit to live and be in us and be our helper. We need to depend on the Holy Spirit, not ourselves. John 5:15 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

It is with our Faith.

They believe God and do what He said we can do. 

Be in the Word, ask the Holy Spirit to open your understanding, believe and be doers of the Word.

Christians today appears to be powerless sometimes because of the distractions around us in this world, which could possibly sometimes be derived from negative minded saints (those who operate out of fear or pride), that influence our consistency and persistency of our faith.  We lean too often to our own understanding and we fail to cast all our cares to God.  We pick and chose what to give Him and when we do ask, its at the last hour, in our darkest hour.  Even then, we spend too much time thinking about  how He is going to work it out or when and how His help will it come.  I am no exception.  I honestly believe that if we really understood the power that God has given us how we will never have to worry, doubt, or be anxious for anything.  We would never have to be fearful of anything or anyone.  Only if we continually and steadfastly walk by faith and not by sight.  If we could grasp with the full assurance of faith that the battle is not our and it belongs to God.  If we could step aside, get out of the way and allow God to fight our battles. Then I truly believe that all demonic spirits will tremble and the enemy will return to being that serpent he was in Gensis and not the dragon he was in Revelation.  

Pride or covetousness are strong desires that an idividual have to overpower a person or group of people behavior and lifestyle.  These individuals have develop and master the art of manipulation and intimidation wants so that they can complete control of a person's will, heart and mind.  They prey on the destitute and feeble.   As result, you have those who not so much as having wimpy faith but who are experiencing  hardships or who word within them is being choked by their devastating experiences looks for a quick fix.  Sometimes saints with miracle-believing faith walks in pride thinking that they are better than others.  They sometimes lose sight of who they are and to whom they belong to. 

Prayer changes people and things.  We must stay in prayer at all times.  When we going through or in the valley as well as when we are living the abundant life or on the mountaintop, we must pray.   

It is our faith that is wavering,  we cannot blame God.  In proportion to the depth, the strength, the reality of our prayers, the help of the Spirit is bestowed. Paul is totally submissive to the will of God; His one desire is that Christ should me magnified.  All that is wanted is a change in ourselves---the unstopping of our ears that our deaf and opening of our blind eyes. 

Return to BIBLE REVIVAL is the answer.  Some churches are diligent when it comes to Bible study; they aggressively claim the promises of GOD in the Holy Bible.  They engender to have the mind of Christ; this comes by seasons of prayer for a genuine Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...

1. Why are we powerless sometimes?

Sometimes we can be physically powerless as a result of lack of physical needs, but lots of times, especially spiritually speaking, we are powerless and weak as a result of lack of faith.

2. Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith?

When it is related to spiritual weakness, it is almost a result of our lack or weak faith.

3. Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith?

I believe the major reason some congregations produce miracle-believing disciples and some wimpy-faith disciples is because of the lack of the Holy Spirit in the discipleship. If the Holy Spirit is not present while training up a person in Christ, then that person will never be spiritually strong until they receive the Holy Spirit, because only the Holy Spirit can empower us spiritually.

4. How can this be changed?

As I kind of stated above, this can be changed by introducing the Holy Spirit into the person's life. Whether it be changing the teacher, or teaching the teacher the truth, or whatever else, this wimpy-faith discipleship can be changed and set in a completely different direction when the Holy Spirit is introduce both into the disciple, and to the teacher(s) of the disciple(s).

THANK YOU HOLY SPIRIT!!!!!!!