JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q12. Seated in Heavenly Places

I feel that people have a really hard time to stand up for what we believe in. And spiritual warfare would seem an impossible battle. It is a battle of ultimate good versus untimate bad. It is our belief in God and the bible versus materialistic values of the world. At times this battle would seem insurmountable. However, Paul reminds us that we have Christ on our side. That Christ Himself is with us and in us. Christ is above all of it. he is the supreme victor within the battle already. An d we have that power through faith to win.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/23/2006 at 9:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare? Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers? Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies? What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of? What does this encourage us to do?

WE forget that "Greater is he that is in us then who is in the world"

That it is  Christ's battle.

We forget Jesus is in us, we can do nothing apart from God.

Have Faith

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q12. Seated in Heavenly Places
  • 1 month later...

Q12. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare?

I think it may be due to ignorance of the fact that spirits exist and there exist spiritual welfare which we should be mindful of. But the good news is that we are more than conquerors in Christ Jesus.

Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers?

This in my view, the reason was to encourage and motivate them to hold on to Jesus, the author and finisher of their faith who has power to defend and also to equip them fight and win all battles in His power.

Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies?

Combination of ignorance and lack of faith

What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of? What does this encourage us to do?

Their faith in Christ and their continued service will be rewarding for many reasons-their security in Him is assured, His power is available for them to fight and win all battles including spiritual battles. As the head of the Church, He is their Head and this further enhances their security and guidance in all situations.

Q12. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare? Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers? Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies? What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of? What does this encourage us to do? 
We are in Christ, and God made our Lord Jesus King over every power that there is. In the heavenlies there are different angelic beings, some evil and some good. No matter how great their rule, authority, power, and dominion might be, Christ is far above them. Jesus rules in heaven as King. He rules over all people. He rules over all nations. He rules over all spirits, both good and evil. We cannot take part in anything spiritual by relying on our own strength; we need Jesus. Paul assures us that Christ's resurrection and glorification were a shattering defeat for Satan and his allies and a glorious spectacle of victorious power. We are encouraged to partake in this victory, while still on earth, by spreading the Good News.

When I think about the news or current events, I tend to separate the physical or material world from the spiritual world as if they didn't intersect, but perhaps the two worlds aren't so differentiated. I write this because most "responders" to this question have spiritualized the meaning of spiritual warfare, as if it invisibly happens within us, in our hearts and souls, but not outside of us, in the fallen world. However this verse of Paul clearly positions spiritual warfare in both the physical and spiritual worlds. Rule, authority, title, power and dominion sound like politics and temporal power outside of us, not only a battle to overcome moral weaknesses inside ourselves. If anything, Paul is talking about how we have access to a power greater than any earthly power.

I don't think ignorance keeps us from warring against evil outside of us. We may not  agree over which corporations, governments, authorities, publications policies, legislation, non-profits and even ecclesial structures are evil, but we can all point to something "out there" that's evil. We know there's evil in our midst. Yet, we do very little about it, mostly because we feel impotent.

What exactly was Paul referring to when he spoke of Christ’s victory and power? I think he was speaking of temporal power .. politics and war and that sort of thing. He’s saying that through Christ, we have more power than the most powerful people on earth. This is true, obviously, but how is it true? How do I have more power than the US president? If I do have this power, why can’t I move mountains or enact legislation that fundamentally changes my country for the better? My power seems imaginary, not real, constrained and intellectualized. It's a sort of head-power not real power. Though I can conceive of real or earthly power, I don't seem to have any or can’t do anything with it, so what sort of power do I have?

My powerlessness isn’t ignorance. It’s not a lack of faith. It’s not even a lack of will to use it. I’m not afraid. I feel equipped. Yes, I believe spiritual warfare is real: yes, I believe Satan and evil are real. But I can’t harness the power of the HS (in and outside of me) with victory over this-worldly evil legislation/laws/rulers/powers. And until I am able to tap into divine power to fight the evil I can see, it seems rather futile to engage in spiritual warfare.

Is prayer warfare all that his verse refers to? Is this only a war in our hearts? Are we merely battling Satan, in an internal spiritual battle? I'm not belittling the importance of battling sinful tendencies inside us, but to ONLY internalize the battle is to make mockery of the words Paul just wrote. For him, the battle is clearly BOTH inside and outside of us; in fact, this verse seems to stress external power and battles. But again, the spiritual and material realms may not be so easily separated. Perhaps battling sin within me miraculously and mysteriously changes the world outside of me. I don't know.

I do know that believers were being persecuted and killed for their faith at the time Paul penned this letter. Did these early Christians forget or neglect to tap into God’s power? Since God is sovereign and spiritual warfare is real, why couldn’t they fight evil victoriously? Was Paul telling them to fight harder, to win? Was he telling them that what they were experiencing was the tip of the iceberg, that other battles were being waged victoriously (but they didn't know this in their own lives?) Was he pointing them away from the obvious defeats in any real or rational sense -- being martyred isn't a rational victory, but the ultimate sacrifice -- to encourage them?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2006 at 9:21 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q12. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare? Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers? Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies? What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of? What does this encourage us to do?

Because it is bigger than us and we need to be in Christ, we cannot do it on our own.  He has equipped us with His Armor, His Blood, His Name, His Spirit, He has given us everything we need.   Knowing He has already defeated the devil and he is under His feet and we are In Christ. 

Because we need to know that in order to believe for Victory.

Because we don't know who we are In Christ, we are His children and He fights for us.  We got to believe it and that He has already won the Victory.  Many morning I wake up and the devil lies to me about my health.  I have to speak the Word of God at him and win the victory. 

God has placed all things under His feet and He is Head of the Church.  The decisive battle was fought at Calvary and the tomb is empty. 

Know that we are victorious in Him.

I strongly believe that we often take a pass when it comes to spiritual warfare because we don't really understand the meaning of the concept spiritual warfare.  We don't always know when we are in battle spiritually.  We heard about it, and was taught of it but we cannot identify when in it.  Sometimes, we don't realize we're in the fight until our darkest hour then we pray, we cry out of anguish.  We know how to fight in the flesh.  Spiritual fights are unseen and we do well with what we are able to see.  

Christ's exaltation is important for Paul to mention it to his readers because it reminds us of the victory we have in Jesus.  He is more powerful than any force of the enemy we could ever encounter.  Again, we need this implanted in our mind so that we will trust Jesus and rely on Him without giving our circumstances or situation a second thought.  Knowing that He is soveriegn, capable and willing to fight for us.  He is our protecter and provider.  He will leave us to fight for ourselves. 

The reason why people shun "spiritual warfare" is due to their mistaken views of Christ.  They have been taught for years just "pray, pay and obey".  Their understanding of 1 Peter 2:9 is deficient as well.  This artificial chasm between laity and clergy is simply wrong; many believers have been taught wrong.  They don't win souls for Christ; never were they involved in evangelical campaigns.  Christ has Supreme rank; Christ our Joshua has not forgotten his earthly friends.  The Risen Christ still has pierced hands; he intercede for us now.  Because  CHRIST has Supreme Authority..all earthly and heavenly things work according to the will of Christ.  By close Communion with the glorified Christ in faith and obedience, the very life of Christ will flow through us.

Paul wanted to teach the Ephesians that they are called to dwell in the Holiest of Holies.   Christ the eternal High Priest has won the victory; no more idol worship of idols of Diana.  No more attendance at the Eluesians mystery religious gatherings.   The Ephesians have a grand calling now:  abounding  graces belong to them.   This is very important for the Ephesians to know that they are joined to Christ and that Christ is even nearer to them that Christ can have immediate contact with individual souls.  Christ is the Life within the church..ONE LIFE is in the church and Christ, the same blood pulsate through Christ the head and through the members of the body.

• 1 month later...

1. Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare?

Wars not pretty. People get hurt, some die. Proof of this is WW1, WW2, and the many wars that come after. Spiritual warfare is much the same. Though we don't necessarily have demons coming at us and trying to rip our limbs off, we have them targeting something much more vital, our spiritual life, our spirit. When we are in a spiritual war, there is immense struggle, whether it be against demonic thoughts, actions, ideas, etc. or against demons themselves. This tiring war tends to leave people spiritually exhausted, hurt, unhappy, and sometimes even distant from God, at least for the time being... After the fight, we feel better. We have clarity, and we tend to grow closer to God than ever before. Sadly, not many people think that that struggle, and all that spiritual blood, sweat, and tears that was shed is worth the price of clarity, peace, and a close relationship with God. 

2. Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers?

Christ's superiority and power is crucial for Paul to mention as only Christ has the strength to win spiritual warfare. Paul doesn't seem to mention this (not here at least), but a person alone can't stand against a spiritual attack. Satan and his demons are far more power than we will ever be...ALONE. This is why you see so many non-Christians constantly oppressed, depressed, stressed, anxious, suicidal, etc. People can't win against the devil by their own ability. But with Christ, we will ALWAYS WIN. This is why Paul mentions this in his letter, to show us that by and with Jesus, we can overcome what we wouldn't have been to overcome by ourselves. 

3. Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies?

Simply because we alone are powerless. As stated above, we people have no chance against the devil and his demons, which should make us feel powerless, but it should also make the only Person who can overcome them, Jesus Christ, show us His true power. 

If we feel powerless and we know that we're fighting a battle with Christ on our side, than that may be a result of faithlessness, or of humility. I say faithlessness because if you feel powerless and have the mindset that you're going to lose, you have no faith in the power, dominion, authority, and superiority that Jesus has above all evil spirits though. This feeling of powerlessness isn't all bad though. Feeling powerless can be a sign of humility. You might feel as if you are powerless, but if you understand and believe that Jesus is still fighting for you and that He's still going to secure you the victory, than that is an act of humility, because you're realizing that the podium isn't yours, but that is, was, and always will be Jesus'. 

4. What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of?

I've indirectly answered this in the previous questions, but to quickly summarize it, Paul is assuring the Ephesians that Jesus is in charge, that He is the Boss of bosses, and that all dominion, power, strength, might, authority, and superiority are His, meaning that He will win every spiritual battle, and that we are His people/church, meaning that He will fight all of our spiritual battle . 

5. What does this encourage us to do?

I don't know how this may encourage others, but for me personally, it encourages me to not be afraid of spiritual battles, because Christ is ready and willing to fight and win, and to also be willing to sacrifice some comfort, at least for a period of time, for better end results. 

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes we take a “pass” when it comes to spiritual warfare because we just want to get along. Paul mentions Christ’s exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers because we need to be assured that Jesus is the true ruler of the world.