JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q12. Seated in Heavenly Places

Q4. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare? Lack of understanding of the seriousness of spiritual warfare. Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers? I think Paul is reminding the believers of their victory in Christ. As part of the family, heirs with Christ, we can claim that victory and access to that power to stand in the midst of this spiritual warfare. However, we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies sometimes we think our power comes from our knowledge, or our faith, or our

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare? Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers? Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies? What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of? What does this encourage us to do?

Lack of truly understanding things of the spiritual nature.

Because the victory has already taken place.

Because of what we can not see.

There is power in Jesus and we should be encourage because he has already won the victory for us

• 3 months later...

We often take a 'pass' to enter into spiritual warfare because it is hard. It is scary and we often try to find an 'easy' solution. We don't like to rock the boat, we don't like to upset people and always want the easy way out. We also don't understand the seriousness of spiritual warfare.

We often rely on our own strength to do things or address issues. We don't rely on God's strength, we don't believe that he can work mightily through us in all situations. We are so small and insignificant yet he chose us and his power/Spirit is in us and will work mightily through us if we let him.

We need to believe in God's ability to use us and work through us in spiritual realms. God uses us if we allow him to - we have to submit to him and believe that he will and can use us!

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers?

What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of? What does this encourage us to do?

Eph 1:20 which he exerted [i.e. the power God exerted] in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, Eph 1:21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. Eph 1:22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church,

Paul is addressing both Jew and Gentile at Ephesus. Some because of their Jewish background (seeped in the OT) probably * have a right perspective concerning the spiritual realm and spiritual beings, although they would need to understand, as converts to Christ, where Jesus placed in all this.

Paul is also addressing many who have been converted from the occult. Ephesus was big time into the occult as the NIVAC explains:

This city had a reputation as a center for the learning and practice of magical arts.

• 1 month later...

We often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare is that sometimes we are lazy, don't feel like making the effort that it takes to stand up to all things! Paul mentions that it is the power of the Father at work in Jesus that will also work in us to complete the victory if we will only let him have his way. I think I feel powerless is because I can't see God at work in me, but if only I would only open the eyes of my soul to God my powerlessness would go away. Our victory is in Christ Jesus, he has won all things for us.

Q4. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare? Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers? Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies? What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of? What does this encourage us to do?

• 3 months later...

I think this is because we dont believe in God and His holiness, and thereby dont believe or want to face the powers of evil. Many believers and unbelievers alike see the fruits of evil and call them evil. Christians often draw back from facing the evils of the devil, and due to weak or inadequate teaching which emphasises love and gentleness, and has no mention of evil.

Paul is teaching and exhorting us to look to Christ for all power and to keep us looking forward to the day when Christ shall call all things to account. Christ is supreme and all power and dominion belongs to Him. We need to be reminded of this in our lives as so often we are thinking as in the flesh, and the flesh avails us nothing, we are nothing without Christ. Yet Christ in us (remembering the opening verses) is our hope and our power.

• 2 months later...

Take a pass? Unheard of. Your fighting on the front lines and getting shot at we need to fight or die. We as people have the unfortunate mind set of "I dont want to get involved." Well, HELLO FOLKS you are involved. You are commanded to put on the full armor of God and FIGHT, YES FIGHT THAT IS YOU MR. & MRS, MASTER AND MISS AMERICA!!! Once you've accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior; you volunteered to be in the battle, now there is no way out so, get use to donning your battle gear: The full armor of God. Jesus gave us the example on how to live and behave when it comes to spritual battles. He is the creator and commanded all evil spirits to "come out, or depart". After his resurrection on the cross, Jesus universally defeated (never in question) his foe and won back our freedoms, our souls and forgave us completly our sins, all of em. Not just yesterdays, and earlier todays. But all the tomorrows too. Paul made mention to try to get it to the minds of the Ephesians (and us) that we have victory in Chirst Jesus and that there is no need to fear. Our enemy is defeated. But the war is not over. Just like at the end of WWII, Japan surrendered in Tokyo Harbor. But fighting continued for months scattered over the Pacific Islands. The war was over the enemy was defeated. But bullets kept flying, people kept dying just the same. Due to the lack of knowledge. My people perish from the lack of wisdom. This IS NOT a GAME. This is real and the stakes are eternal. People you, we, I feel powerless because we refuse to BELIEVE, have faith in the work that was accomplished on the cross. We get intimateded by our peers, bosses, the world. Trying to embarrass, harrass us into submission, or keeping us quiet. WOE WOE WOE onto anyone, everyone that does. Jesus said: "If you deny me before men, I will deny you before my heavenly father." Sobering. Eye opening. This is a call to arms!!! The armor of God is for "standing and taking ground, attacking. If you read about ancient armor; there is no protection for your back. So you cannot turn and run. Arrows and spears are deadly. So stand, grab your armor and beat back the gates of hell itself. Christ plus you is an invincible army. No enemy, no demon, no devil is stronger than you. Greater is he that is in you (get it into you) then he that is in the world.

I'll be out of town for three days. I'll be back on Sunday 02/01/2009.

• 2 months later...

one thay walk in the flesh, and do not have on the full armkor of God spiritual power, so they can not stand to fight. paul was lest them and us know God have raised him from the dead and giving him power and authority. with out the full armor of God and we are raised with jesus in the spirit realm that we have the force to extend His victory through him. and it time for us to grow up in Jesus so we can fight the good fight .

• 5 weeks later...

We so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare because "out of sight, out of mind"; it's hard to remember that we are engaged in war when we can't see the enemy. Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers is important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers because we need the reassurance of knowing that He has already won the war. We tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies because we can't defeat them on our own; it is only when we let Christ fight for us and through us that we will prevail. Paul was assuring the Ephesians that Christ has already conquered their enemies. This encourages us to rejoice because He's conquered our enemies as well and we will share in that victory together with Him in Heaven.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare?

I think the main reason is ignorance...of the necessity for it, and ignorance of the power and authority Christ has secured for His children, for us to do spiritual warfare. Also, ignorance of who we are dealing with.

Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers?

Satan does all that he can to keep us in the belief that, 1) He's not real. But when he loses that battle, that, 2) he is in control and in power and that we're to fear him and leave him alone or run from the battle. Paul was educating his readers to the fact that the devil is a liar, and to focus on the true state of affairs....Jesus is Lord over ALL!

Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies?

For me, it's that I can't see them. I'm praying for more discernment to recognize when I'm dealing with the demonic, or whether it's just some circumstance.

What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of?

Of Jesus mighty power and strength, and His absolute rule and authority and power and dominion over every name that can be named, every title that can be conferred, now and in the world to come. Jesus has put ALL THINGS under His feet and is the Supreme Head of the church, His body. Jesus is the Victor, and won the victory for us.

What does this encourage us to do?

It encourages me to be bold and courageous when faced with the enemy, and to exercise the authority which Jesus has conferred to me as His child, including taking every thought captive, which exalts itself as being bigger than God, to the obedience of Christ. Also, to walk fearlessly, knowing that He is in absolute control of all things. I love Ps. 119:91, which says that ALL things serve Christ. That means that even Satan, when he is doing his best to wreak havoc, is serving Gods' purposes, otherwise God would not permit him to do what he's doing. It encourages me to STAND and to fight, allowing Jesus to do the battle through me.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Ephesians 1:20-22)

Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare?

Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers?

Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies?

What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of?

What does this encourage us to do?

We are in Christ, and God made our Lord Jesus king over every power that there is. In the heavenlies there are different angelic beings, some evil and some good. No matter how great their rule, authority, power, and dominion might be, Christ is far above them. Jesus rules in heaven as king. He rules over all people. He rules over all nations. He rules over all *spirits, both good and evil. We cannot take part in anything spiritual by relying on our own strength; we need Jesus. Paul assures us that Christ's resurrection and glorification were a shattering defeat for Satan and his allies and a glorious spectacle of victorious power. We are encouraged to partake in this victory, while still on earth, by spreading the Good News.

• 3 weeks later...

Ephesians 1:20-22) Why do we so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare? Why is Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers? Why do we tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies? What was Paul assuring the Ephesians of? What does this encourage us to do?

It is easier to pass than to stand tall. It is crucial to the ultimate fulfillment of God's plan for salvation in Christ. All things will be under Christ's feet. Christ is the head over everything for the church. Christ is exalted far above all of the spiritual realm and all power and authority. I do not feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies; the Holy Spirit is with me. Paul is assuring the Ephesians of the ultimate all-in-all authority that reigns both in the heavens and the earth now and forever. It encourages us to have hope of a certain end.

• 6 months later...

I believe I often take a pass at spiritual warfare because I simply forget that it exists. This passage in Ephesians helps bring our attention to the spiritual forces out there so that we can rely on Christ. I often look only to the tangible, practical aspect of a problem before determining how to solve it. In this way, I am ignoring the possible evil influences that can be working behind the scenes. These verses are a good reminder that many forces are at work--but Christ conquers all.

• 2 months later...

I really can't add anything to what Pickledilly said on the first page of postings on this subject back in 2006, which I think sums up the issues perfectly. The main thing is though, as Paul makes clear, Jesus has already won victory for us in this warfare and all we need to do is to accept that victory.

• 1 month later...

I think its mostly fear which stems from lack of faith. His seperiorness to all spiritual powers and Paul mentionong this to us is to let us know that through Christ we can also defeat or fend off those spiritual powers. Spiritual enemies can disguise thereself and when we do recognize them it is our forgetfulness of the victory we have through and in our Savior Jesus Christ and that is what Paul was reassuring them of that victory. This should encourage us to not back down from spiritual warfare and know that the battle is already won!

• 3 weeks later...

4a) we may pass at SW because we are fearful of it, wrongly believing it to more powerful than us and God. b)God broke the power of death that held Christ. He raised him from death & he is now seated at God

• 5 weeks later...

Paul wanted to assure the Ephesians that God loved them, and to keep the faith and the COMMANDENTS....

• 4 weeks later...

Spiritual warfare - If you stare into the pit of darkness too long, it can swallow you whole.

One main problem with spiritual warfare is that people (even other Christians) tell us that the enemy doesn't even exist - even though this is quite contrary to the Gospel. It is one of his greatest lies because one of the main methods of regular warfare - heck, even a regular sports game - is to study the opposition. If we don't think he's real, we won't recognize the enemy when he does appear. We also have to distinguish the devil from our own flesh nature, as well as to be able to discern this in others. It is exhausting, because the enemy is quite tricky and creative in all his varying disguises. "More subtle and crafty than all the beasts in the field" - it can really mess with you before you even realize what the heck is happening.

It can be terrifying to come face to face with evil - unless you are completely in Christ. Then it is just a weird observation. But if you are in pride and think you're the one who is going to command a demon to depart, he will devour you. However, if you are praying in Christ and it is Jesus who does the works, then there is authority and power. Of myself I am nothing. He is the Vine, I am the branch. Apart from Him I can do nothing. It is HIS power and authority, not mine.

Why is it important enough for Paul to mention Jesus' authority and power? It's part of who God is. We mustn't get overwhelmed by the deceit of the enemy and lose hope or quit. The enemy will attack this every chance he gets, 24x7 - he never rests. Just when you think you recognize him, he varies the method of attack, then he departs for a while to regroup. Then we let down our guard and fall prey to our own flesh nature. He's tricky, so we must keep our Lord in mind and be one with Him - He in us, and us in Him. If we abide in Him, we can ask what we will and He will do it, but only if we abide in Him, and He in us. Pride is indeed the enemy.

But bear in mind: He will let us have tribulation to perfect our faith and our patience, and to know what He has saved us from. It is part of knowing who God is.

• 6 months later...

1. We "pass" on spiritual warfare because we ignorant of its importance in maintaining Jesus as the head. For those who are aware of its vital importance, it comes down to the acknowledgement of the Lordship of Jesus; laziness in prayer and spiritual warfare is evidence of the slip of Jesus as "head", the slip of Jesus being "Lord".

2. Paul's focus on the absolute spiritual authority in Christ is incredibly important because it is the victory that he claimed when he rose from the dead to forgive of us our sins, defeating death and the devil. His victory is our inheritance, that we can only walk in, if we position Christ as the head and we remain in a healthy body. We need to remind ourselves, and each other of Christ's position of absolute authority as it is the power of salvation. Paul reminds us of what Christ has done for us so we can appropriate our authority which Christ has claimed for us!

3.We can feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies when we are not prepared; like any warfare, we must be listening to the commanders orders, and standing with our fellow fighters -the body of Christ. If we are not in a close position with Christ, and with the body, we leave ourselves open to defeat. To not be powerless, we need to rely on Him who has "holds the keys to death and Hades". Walk with the supreme victor, Jesus!

4. We are assured of victory in Christ if we keep Him as our head. This encourages us to think with the mind of Christ and have the assurance of His vicory!

• 2 months later...

We so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare because we are ignorant about it.

Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers are important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers to remind them that the decisive battle is over, but we become part of the Occupation Force for Jesus where we live, work, study, and play, and part of an Expiditionary Force to extend Christ's victory to its logical conclusion among every tribe, people group, and nation on the face of the earth.

We tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies because we do not fully comprehend our authority in Jesus.

Paul was assuring the Ephesians of the authority and power they have in Jesus.

This encourages us to tap into our privileges and rights, authority and power we have in Jesus.

We so often take a "pass" when it comes to spiritual warfare because we are ignorant about it.

Christ's exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers are important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers to remind them that the decisive battle is over, but we become part of the Occupation Force for Jesus where we live, work, study, and play, and part of an Expiditionary Force to extend Christ's victory to its logical conclusion among every tribe, people group, and nation on the face of the earth.

We tend to feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies because we do not fully comprehend our authority in Jesus.

Paul was assuring the Ephesians of the authority and power they have in Jesus.

This encourages us to tap into our privileges and rights, authority and power we have in Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to forget who we have helping us. Paul wants us to remember that the victory is already won & that we have nothing to fear from the defeated eniemies. We feel powerless because we stop looking at Jesus & try to do things on our own. That Christ had already won & the Ephesians need not worry about the evil in their time. Put our eyes on Christ & hold on for dear life because it will definitely be bumpy but we will always get there in His good time.

• 1 year later...

I think that we take a “pass” when it comes to spiritual warfare because it is something that we cannot see. We don’t think that there is anything that we can do about it.

Christ’s exaltation, demonstration of complete victory, and superior rank over all spiritual powers was important enough for Paul to mention it to his readers because it is a force that must be dealt with. Only Christ is the one that can do that. Again I think that we feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies because it is something that we cannot see or touch or feel.

Paul was assuring the Ephesians that that force has been taken care of by our Lord Jesus Christ. He has concord all things and that encourages us to go out and tell everybody about the Good News.

• 4 months later...

It takes revelation from God through His Word to understand spiritual warfare. For the unskilled or immature believer spiritual warfare may be foreign to him or her.

We could feel powerless in the face of spiritual enemies if we have no idea who we are battling. To combat those forces we need to "be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might; put on the whole armor of God" (vv. 10-11). God's power is not only available to us it is in us. But this we have to be taught to the power of the Holy Spirit is available to us.

• 1 year later...

We often more than not take a pass pertaining to spiritual warfare because, physically we have no evidence of it. Christ has accomplished complete victory over death and evil when He was resurrected from the dead. Being the first fruit of the living from the dead. We feel complete powerlessness in the face of spiritual battle because we are weak in faith or we are totally unprepared for it, for lack of Gods word. Paul reassures the Ephesians of Christ fulfillment of scripture that had been prophesied. The Ephesians were used to worshiping idols, this should encourage us to read Gods word, put on the armor of God and be ready at any moment to witness and stand against evil that comes our way.