JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Sense of Destiny

The new testament passage I chose was John 10:14-19. In this passage Jesus describes Himself as the Good Shepherd. He will willingly lay down His life for His sheep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

To me, this one speaks the most clearly: "It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment." (Luke 22:37).

It's hard for me to understand Jesus' desire to fulfill that prophecy. Why would anyone desire an excruciatingly painful experience, for whatever reason? It comes back to love. "Greater love hath no man than this...than he lay down his life for his friends." I wasn't even Jesus' friend when He died for me...He died in the hope I someday would be. Thank You, Lord.

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

Mark 9.12 "Jesus replied, To be sure, Elijah does come first, and restores all things. Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected?"

I believe that Jesus new before He came, what His mission was. How mucj he must love us to have to suffer such a cruel death.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus clearly saw Him mission and work in the the world in terms of Isaiah's vision of the Lamb of God. The most compelling passages for me are the Last Supper passages -- particularly Matthew 26:26-29, Mark 14:22-25, and Luke 22:14-23. Luke 22:24-27 is an example of how Christ saw Himself as a servant, but the clearest example of this comes from John 13:1-20 -- Jesus washing the Disciples feet -- then explaining that action in terms of servanthood. The more I look at these passages, the more amazed I am at the saracficial nature of God -- giving of Himself -- dieing for our salvation -- then rising again for our life -- here and ever after.

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

:blink:

John 15:25 and Is. 53:3. Matt. 16:21 and Is. 53:7. These are just two that I sought out and found. I am sure there are many others.

I do not need convincing. I believe Jesus is our Savior .. I have believed this since I can remember.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Since sin involves breaking the covenant, every faithful person is likely to be offended by sin. In a moral since, breaking God's laws offends God and should attract his anger. The difference between controlled and uncontrolled anger is that uncontrol anger bears no grain of grace and may lead to unjsut response to sin.

• 1 month later...

The explanation of Jesus to two disciples on the way to Emmaus must have been a wonderful explanation of who Jesus is and what is His purpose on the earth.

In Luke 4:18-21 where Jesus began to preach in the synagogue, clearly identifying Himself as the suffering servant, and showing the scriptures which, during the ensuing years, He fulfilled completely.

• 1 month later...

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled in Isaiah 53: If you are not convinced, what stands in your way?

It is written in Mark 9:12 "Why then is it written that the Son of man must suffer much and be recjected?" Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?" It is obvious from these verses that Jesus knew why he had come and so spoke about his mission and destiny.

I am convinced. I believe him and have received him.

• 8 months later...

MARK 8:31--JESUS BEGAN TO TEACH THEM THAT THE SON OF MAN MUST SUFFER, BE REJECTED, KILLED AND RISE AGAIN AFTER THREE DAYS. FOR ME, THIS IS SO CLEAR THAT HE IS QUOTING ISAIAH 53, SINCE ISAIAH USES SIMILAR WORDS SUCH AS , "WOUNDED, BRUISED, CHASTISEMENT, DESPISED,AFFLICTED, ETC".I'M SO GRATEFUL HE WENT IN MY PLACE.JESUS KNEW HIS MISSION AND DESTINY BEFOREHAND, AND FULFILLED THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH HE WAS SENT.HE KEPT HIS FOCUS ON THE PRIZE , THAT IS YOU AND I. HE WAS DYING FOR OUR SALVATION; HE WAS GIVING US ETERNAL LIFE BY LOSING HIS LIFE, VOLUNTARILY OF COURSE....GOD BLESS. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

When Jesus spoke tohis followers He clearly told them that He was to die, He made it clear at the last supper and when he spoke in the temple. I am gratefully and totally convinced of this.

• 3 weeks later...
Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way? Exposition

( Isaiah 53:3 ) He is dispised and rejected by men.

A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.

And we hid, our faces from Him;

He was despised and we did not esteem Him. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

For me, Matt. 26:62 & 63 tell of how He did not answer His accusers--as the lamb brought to slaughter--Is. 53:7. He knew what He wanted to accomplish & He certainly didn't have to defend Himself.

• 3 months later...

Isaiah 53:3 , is parallel to Luke 18 : 31-33 and also John 1:10-11, They say "He was despised and rejected - a man of sorrows , acquainted with deepst grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other away . He was despised , and we did not care , "

This is true , beacuse up to now not all people believe in Jesus Christ , even just the mention of this Name , many people do not want to hear it .

We should not give up to proclaim Jesus Name to the world , the time of harvest will come and God will chose his people.

• 6 months later...

The following verse:

"For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end." Luke 22:37 (KJV)

Clearly Jesus knew his mission and wanted his disciples to know that the things written concerning him must be fulfilled.

• 7 months later...

Some scriptures that convince me that Jesus saw his own mission and distiny in Isaish 53 are: Luke 4:17-21; 22:37 and 24:25-27.

• 3 months later...

Mat 26:28 "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. "

In this passage Jesus didn't say Which might be shed, he said "which is shed..." this indicates that he knew his blood would be shed. Set in stone, as he would have been considered a false teacher if he had gone on to die a death of natural causes.

• 2 months later...

In Luke 24:44 Jesus speaking with the apostles , after the resurrection, declares : "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Laws of Moses, the prophets and the pslams." Everything was well-planned still the beginning, ans He knew before his Death. It s too clear.

In parallel to Isaiah 53, the Dr Ralph 's topic :...Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28=Mark 10:45), help me a lot to understand, and as I read and understand the definition of "ransom", I realize that is the New Testament passage which convince me the most that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53.

Thank you Jesus for giving your life as a ransom for me, and for being my shepherd, Please use me to help you made your voice heard by the other sheep that you must bring to you. Amen

Jesus knew what his mission in life was. For the joy set before Him, He went to the cross. Every verse which was mentioned refers to His coming suffering.