JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Sense of Destiny

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

Ans: Matthew 20:28 = Mark 10:45-" For even the Son of Man did not come to be served by to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many".

This scripture from the new testament is the fulfillment of the prophesy of Isaiah 53. Jesus saw his destiny very clearly as prophesied by Isaiah that His mission to earth was to die for the sin of mankind and to bring them back to their creator in heaven.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

Every time Jesus quotes the Old Testament scriptures to show to His disciples what is to come it shows that He fully knew what was going to happen, even as Man on earth! He did not leave his Godhead in heaven when He came to fulfill prophecy, only set it aside for a time. He knew what His mission was from the time He took His first breath! I love the portion of Isaiah that speaks of Him being bruised for our iniquities - goes all the way back to the promise in Genesis about how the serpent will "bruise his heel {a small and insignificant portion of the whole body}, but that the SAVIOR will crush the serpent's head."

• 1 month later...

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

Isa 53:9 And they made his grave with the wicked, and with a rich man in his death; although he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. = 1Pe 2:22 who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

1Pe 2:23-25 who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: who his own self bare our sins in his body upon the tree, that we, having died unto sins, might live unto righteousness; by whose stripes ye were healed. For ye were going astray like sheep; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls. (That was me)

Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

I, a former Gentile and now a believer, am convinced, I am now of the seed of Abraham, for I have been healed by the stripes Christ bore on the cross, and having died unto sin, I might now, today, live unto righteousness.

Thank you Father for the gift of your Son, my bridegroom. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did Jesus teach that He, Himself was the Suffering Servant spoken of in Isaiah? Jesus spoke of His coming suffering often. He even rebuked Peter, who tried to tell Jesus that He WOULDN'T suffer. In the Gospel of Luke, the Lord teaches that the Scripture "and he was numbered with the transgressors" must be fulfilled in Him. 'for I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me' Yes, Jesus understood Himself to be the Suffering Servant.

And the New Testament has many writings from the Apostles, that they understood His death on the cross to be the death of our sins upon Him, and the life of righteousness He lived to be transferred to us. Somehow, our sins were placed upon Him, and His righteousness was imparted to us.

I believe every statement He made about Himself points to the fact that He fulfilled all of Isaiah 53. Especially when He stood to read then said that today scripture has been fulfilled in your ears,

There are many parallels throughout the entire new testament that correspond to Isaiah 53 about the life of Jesus. John 3:16 came to my mind right away. I don't believe Jesus read this and knew this is what he must do right away. Isaiah was a man inspired by God as where all the men who wrote books of the Bible. I think it was through God's prompting and the Holy Spirit, Jesus was reveled what he must be do. God could have used this scripture to speak to Jesus and many other scriptures. Jesus' affirmation about what he should do with his life came from God himself, not just from reading Isaiah 53. I think saying Isaiah solely inspired Jesus is giving glory to Isaiah and not God.

Q2 Matthew 20:28/Mark 10:45 convinced me that Jesus himself saw his own mission and

mission spelled out in Isaiah 53. Many times in the gospels Jesus has hinted to

his apostles of his mission and death but they could not understand him. He even

had to rebuke Peter when he could not accept Jesus' fate.

Jesus himself was all human especially when in the garden of Gethsemane, he pleaded

with God to take the cup of suffering away from him but knowing that His mission is

to fulfil the will of God, he started to sweat blood.

Q2. Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

All of the references Pastor Wilson listed are parallels. Jesus often told His disciples that His mission was to die, and they couldn't accept that. He spoke in John 6 that "I Myself am the Living Bread that came down from Heaven, as the manna had come to feed the Israelites in the wilderness, and that anyone who eats of this bread, he will live forever, and also the Bread that I shall give for the life of the world is My flesh....and in v54" He who feeds on My flesh and drinks My blood has (possesses now) eternal life, and I will raise him up from the dead on the last day." He was saying that He came to die in order to give anyone who will come, eternal life, and that as we take communion, we are reminded of His death for us.

I'm fully convinced because I've experienced the miracle of being born again and filled with the Holy spirit. I marvel that He chose me, drew me, saved me, loves me unconditionally, uses me in His service and has promised I'll spend eternal life with Him in Heaven. The first touch of His love removed all doubt!

Actually all of the Scriptures that are used in this lesson I think support how Jesus saw his own mission. Matthew 20:28 and Mark 10:45 stand out to me the most that Jesus clearly identified with Isaiah 53.

• 3 months later...

I have two favorites from the new Testament where Jesus revealed that He knew His mission and that parallel Isaiah 53.

The first is John 10:14-18. Jesus the Good Shepherd, who lays down His life for His sheep. He also tells of the "other sheep" He must bring also, so that there will be one flock and one Shepherd. He foretells His death, and of laying His life down of His own accord and not just for the Jews, but for all who will be of His flock. I also love John 17:1-5 (and all of John 17 really) where Jesus reveals what He is about to do with full awareness of His divine authority over "all" people that He might give eternal life to all who God has given to Him.

I'm convinced......and HE IS ALIVE!

• 7 months later...

Jesus himself made those references in various places of the Gospels. "Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected?'"(Mark 9:12) -- a pretty clear reference to 53:3. There are other similar references.

• 1 month later...

The following New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince me that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53:

Mt 20:28; 26:28

Mk 9:12; 10:45; 14:24; 8:31; 9:31; 10:32-34; 14:21

Lk 24:25-27; 22:37; 4:18-21

Jn 1:29; 10:14

"Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing" (Luke 4:18-21).

If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way? To those who are not convinced, it is "unbelief" that stands in the way. I believe.

The first thing that jumps immediately to my mind when you ask about Jesus and parallels between the gospels and Isaiah is the passage from Luke chapter 4 where Jesus says, after reading from Isaiah 61:"The Scripture you

Some of the New Testament parrarels to Isaiah 53:

1. "...Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28=Mark 10:45).

2. "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (Matthew 26:28 = Mark 14:24)

3. "Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected?'"(Mark 9:12)

4. "'Did not the Christ have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?' And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself." (Luke 24:25-27)

I believe that the Old and New Testaments contain the Word of God. I also believe that all prophesies in the Old Testament were fulfilled in the New Testament and that the prophesy in Isaiah 53 was fulfied in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Lamb that takes away the sins of the whole world.

The New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 that convince me that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53 is Galatians 1:4, "who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father."

I am convinced.

• 2 weeks later...

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53? If you aren't convinced, what stands in your way?

"This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins" (Matthew 26:28 = Mark 14:24).4

I need no convincing....it has been a long walk with Christ Jesus for me and gets sweeter the longer I know Him.....because in living I have come to know that I need only lean on Him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Which New Testament parallels to Isaiah 53 convince you that Jesus himself saw his own mission and destiny spelled out in Isaiah 53?

Along with Luke 24:25-27 is Luke 24:44-47. Jesus opened there understanding to the Scriptures as He must do for us by the Holy Ghost, which is Jesus in Spirit. He said to them,