JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he is praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

Predestination is a tricky subject because some think it affects our free will; however, predestination does not mean that we are not the ones making the choices, it only means that God already knows the outcome and knew the outcome before time. He is outside our concepts of time, so He could choose us before time because He already knew the choice of our hearts. The scary thing for me is that we can all make the wrong choice. Paul wrote it: “But [like a boxer] I strictly discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached [the gospel] to others, I myself will not somehow be disqualified [as unfit for service].” ‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭9:27‬ ‭AMP‬‬

He knew He could make a wrong move and false move and be disqualified, we are all in the same position and it is scary to think God already knows the outcome. The comforting part is that we can still do our best because maybe that drive to our commitment with Jesus is what already got us the spot as one of the “few”. 

“But small is the gate and narrow and difficult to travel is the path that leads the way to [everlasting] life, and there are few who find it.”  ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:14‬ ‭AMP‬‬

I believe Paul is bringing it up because He a praising the Lord and thanking Him for the ones to whom he is writing his letter. He is confident in their salvation and is thankful to the Lord for their lives and especially, what they are doing with them.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he is praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians? 
The scary part is that if I had been left alone to do my thing, I would have been lost to eternity. The comforting part is that God, in love, adopted me as His son through Jesus Christ. Words of gratitude fail me. I cannot even begin to try to express my thanks for His wonderful love! Paul brings up predestination to make us aware of the fact that God "chose us" in other words, our salvation depends totally on God, and we are not saved because we deserve it but because God is gracious and merciful. We did not influence God's decision to save us; He saved us according to His plan. Paul starts by telling us about God’s plan, and acknowledges God’s blessings of grace and wants us to realize God’s active role in our salvation from eternity past through time and on into eternity future. 

People have a scary inaccurate view of Predestination.  For Puritan preacher Jonathan Edwards, it was truly a magnificent doctrine.  It should be for us as well. Before the world was founded, the Father chose us to be heirs of salvation to be quickened from the dead.  We were chosen IN CHRIST in connection with Christ's work and office.   We are full of wonder because God the Father had us in mind that we would become the adopted sons of God; God was determined Before the foundation of the world.   Both verses 4-5 denote DIVINE SOVEREIGNITY, restoration of love between us and God.   God wants our complete sanctification.  No reason to fear this blessed doctrine!   We are full of awe and Thanksgiving.  Rev Edwards was just totally amazed when God revealed to him the mystery of Predestination.     

God has called the Ephesians to become part of the Mystical Body of Christ.  What wonder filled the hearts of Paul and the early Ephesians!   For generations the Ephesians were caught up in pagan worship at the temple of Diana; now they are wearing their  Baptismal robes singing a new song.  No more is there a dividing wall between Jew and Gentile.   The atonement of Christ has made the Jews and Gentiles into one body;  one faith and one Baptism.  The Ephesian believers no longer would go to the temple of Diana to worship a false idol and no.more engaging in immoral activities.

The scariness of predestination is living up to its expectation.  When obstacles comes or set-backs comes about, we have a tendency to doubt ourselves.  We sometimes forget that our predestination is the established plan God has for us and we forget that God's plan is perfect for us.  We don't forget entirely.  Or should I say that we become sidetracked or distracted.  Nevertheless, it is comforting to know that Jesus and God has patience with us.  Again, He will never leave us or forsake us.  He's not standing by looking at us, He's helping us.  We must be receptive to receive and ask for His guidance.  Paul brings up predestination so that we will know that there is a purpose for us.  God has a purpose for us and all we have to do is willingly obey God as Jesus Himself did.  

Paul, as a respectful leader of the church, raise God in the hearing of the Ephesians to build their confidence in God so that they will live a godly life reflective of Jesus Christ.   Jesus, when He prayed often said that He did it so that those will know that God sent Him.  Well, I believe that Paul did the same so that the people would know that He was sent by Jesus.   

Truly a wonderful doctrine.   Many people don't thoroughly study and meditate on this Bible doctrine.   Many misconceptions abound.  Their view of the holiness of God is not totally accurate.  The Prophet Ezekiel has tremendous revelations of Yahweh.  Prophet Ezekiel did not have the typical Western view of God; a view that makes a holy God capricious and tolerant of sin.  Prophet Ezekiel was appalled at the toleration of idols and secret sins in the Temple.  A deep study of God's compound name titles should be done.   Predestination will not be a hard doctrine.

What is comforting is that I have been in the mind of God before the world was created.   What a deep awesome privilege to grow up in a Christian home and to have a tender heart in regards to God's Plan of Salvation.  Paul wanted to let the new believers of their high calling.   They were not in another religion among other pagan religions; absolutely not.    It was in God's plan that they would forsake the idols and debauchery of idol temples to serve the true Living God.  What a consolation it was for these new believers.  No more worshipping a false wooden idol of Diana in a opulent temple dedicated for idol worship.   The Ephesians are the mystical Body of Christ--with full access to the HOLIEST OF HOLIES--due to Christ our Joshua who has gone on to Heaven.

Paul knew very well about the rejection of the Gospel  by his own people.  This disturbed him greatly.   The reception of the Gospel was the balm of Gilead for Paul.   Once entrenched in sin and idol worship and licentious behavior, they now serve the Living God

Many of us experience deja-vu previews of life events. Perhaps in our youth we are more open to these suggestions. I remember dreams of a place with flat roofed houses. In my twenties the RAF sent me to Malta and there I met and married a Maltese girl.

My wide reading led me to a book Psychic Warrior. The author, David Morehouse, was recruited by the CIA/ military to their Stargate Remote viewing program. I realise that the Church discourages RV and any psychic dabbling. Indeed the experience was very mentally damaging for Morehouse. He did discover during his missions that it is possible to revisit the past and replay it repeatedly, without any change.

However the future was different. It could be visited but there were multiple avenues down which it could go. This is down to human free will and the decisions that we make in our lives. God has laid out a rough plan and we are encouraged to follow it. I believe we are given many opportunities to correct our pathway.

In one sense it is scary.   It beckons us to have a more ENLARGED VIEW of God and our walk with God.   I am so convinced this is what the Holy Spirit is teaching me.  Christ was trying to impress this on Peter in John 21.  Peter was very concerned about John's future.   We serve a mighty God that calls in a still small voice to come up higher.  

On this note, predestination is very comforting.   I could have been born into a non-Christian home, agnostic or atheists.  However, God had me nurtured in a good Christian home.   The gift of faith is from God's loving heart !  The late Dr Barnhouse remarked that there is no time with God.  He preached eloquently on the wonders of God's sovereignty.   God determined to have a people called to be the manifest sons of God.   

The Ephesians were in this midst of all sorts of idolatry.   The Temple of Diana was an ancient sanctuary replete with an ancient wooden idol supposedly fallen from the sky  The area was noted for licencious behavior and superstitious beliefs.  Amazing that God knew the right time for St Paul to preach the Gospel.   They were Hungary for the truth.   The Ephesians like the Samaritans were slowly being prepared to hear the clarion call of the Kerygma!  Paul was just awestruck when the Ephesians were baptized in water.  No more idol worship; they are now in Christ!   Called to be SANCTIFIED and called to be the CHILDREN OF GOD before the world was created.   

It is scary because that long, long time ago, before He could even knit my great grandparents in their mother's wombs, He chose me: and I blew it. 

He knew already that I would fall into sin and by His Grace, He already had a plan for my redemption. 

I believe predestination is a critical principle in Christianity that has to be laid out to the born again from the beginning. In my limited knowledge not enough is done particularly in our native languages where the translation may dilute the meaning. 

Paul has to praise God in the "hearing " of the Ephesians because that is proper worship- to sing to God's glory in the assembly.  Paul has to evangelize them, bring them the good news. 

• 2 months later...

I don’t see anything scary about predestination. It is comforting to know that loved and chose me to be one of his followers. I guess that Paul brought up predestination so that we would know that God has loved us and has chosen us and that makes me feel pretty important.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2006 at 8:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

I myself don't think that there is anything scary about predestination. God does not live by our time. God knows everything, He set everything in place, from the very beginning to the very end and everything in between, then He took the time to put everything down on paper so that we, His chosen ones would know all that was going to happen so that we would not be alarmed or caught off guard. The comfort, well, that He would LOVE US regardless of how we turned out to be. Much revelation was given to my Brother Paul and I think that my Brother Paul brings up the subject of predestination to make  us aware Of God's GREAT LOVE toward mankind, that He would choose us even before we had a glimpse of life.I believe my Brother Paul praises  God in the hearing of the Ephesians because he was included as one of the predestined ones. These are my thoughts.

• 11 months later...

Predestination is part of God’s decree, his eternal purpose in which he has decided all that will take place, ordaining everything for the manifestation of his glory.
That we were chosen by God, we did not chose Him

He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will.