JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

1. When people do all sorts of things which hurt themselves as well as others and then blame God.

2. In spite of our sinfull nature God had choosen us to be His children through faith in Jesus Christ. And since He bestowed in us the freedom to choose, its up to us whether we accept it or not.

3. God is impartial. In spite of the differences that we humans imposed upon ourselves to think that we are more special than others, yet God's love abounds. Paul rightly brings out this very important concept to let people know that God's love for Gentiles is already there from the beginning.

4. He did this to prove to the Ephesians that God's forgiveness covers them as well even though in the eyes of the Jewish Christians it may not be possible at all as we noticed in Acts particularly in those chapters before Chapter 15. Because the Ephesians had experienced the presence of Jesus Christ in their lives, so Paul praised God for all that God had done.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't neccessarily find it scary that God has Predestined plans for our lives but maybe it is hard to grasp the concept. Just knowing my life is preplanned gives me comfort because I know I can trust God. Once you have full trust in him you will have comfort in your life. He knew us before we were born and that is amazing to me. I just can't wait to see what God has planned for me because he has done so many awesome things already.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

WHAT;S SCARY ABOUT PREDESTINATION IS THAT (NO) WE REALLY DON'T KNOW A LOT ABOUT IT BUT WE CAN BELIEVE WHAT WE READ IN THE WORD OF GOD, AND THAT IS THAT GOD PREDESTINATED EVERYTHING INCLUDING US. POWWERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MOST COMFORTING THIS ABOUT READING AND KNOWING WHAT GOD PREDESTINATED IS THAT : HE HAD US ON HIS MIND WAY BEFORE WE WERE EVEN CONCIEVED EVEN BEFORE OUR PARENTS WERE BORN. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IT FEELS GOOD TO BE IN THE LIVING WITH MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST BECAUSE HE HAD ME MAPPED OUT FROM THE BEGINING AND THAT MAKES ME FEEL SAFE TO KNOW THAT HE KNOWS ME BETTER THAN THE PARENTS HE PLACED ME WITH. I BELIEVE PAUL BRINGS IT UP FOR US TO GRASP THE REALTY OF IT ALL FROM GOD'S SIDE OF IT.

BECAUSE HE SHOULD BE PRAISED FOR ALL THINGS.

GOD BLESS

Thinking about predestination from a human point of view might be confusing and possibly a little scary, but it does nullify man's responsibilty to respond to Jesus Christ and his redemptive mission. I believe that Paul was confronting us by telling us we are part of God's family. Even though we came as adoptive children, but we are given full rights of His inheritance, just like His own. The good news is that He makes us His own children, in His own image and His own nature.

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

1) SCARY ABOUT PREDESTINATION? NOTHING, THERE IS NOTHING SCARY ABOUT IT. ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION? ARE YOU AFRAID OF GOD? THAT'S THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION. YES, GOD IS THAT POWERFUL. ALL POWERFUL. :)

2) THE COMFORTING PART ABOUT IT IS KNOW THAT IT WAS PREDESTINED BY CHRIST. THE ALL KNOWING GOD. THE ONE AND ONLY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST.

3) SO HE COULD REMIND THE PEOPLE OF WHERE THEY COME FROM AND TO KEEP THERE EYES ON THE PRIZE. (JESUS)

4) TO SHOW THE PEOPLE THAT IS WAS NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF AND TO NEVER STOP PRAISING HIM,CHRIST THAT IS.

Good morning everyone! By way of introduction, I am referring to myself as "Godsdaughter", and I am very excited to participate in the Ephesians bible study. I am a pastor's wife in Long Beach, California. My husband and I have been in ministry for 11 years now. All of our children are adults. My husband retired this year from his job of 33 years. He is now preparing to focus on ministry full-time. At any rate, I am glad to be his partner, and God's servant.

Predestination was scary to me when I first learned about it. I felt that I had wasted a lot of time out there in the darkness of sin, when all the time God had a wonderful plan for my life. Since then I have learned that even our unregenerated lives are to be used to glorify our Father, and as an example to help others.

Now, I find comfort that God, through his great love for his children, has our lives worked out in advance, and all that we have to do is "walk it out" by faith, love, and grace. So, thank God for predestination and showing us how he had a plan for us even before we were born.

Praise the Lord!

Godsdaughter528

I do not think this is "scary", but I do think it causes much reflection on whether I am fulfilling God's will in my life. I think God has a perfect will and a permissive will for each of us. He does not take our free choice from us, but if we are not in line with the Word of God we will not be able to fulfill the great things God had foreordained that we could accomplish - when walking in the Spirit. His will shall always be fulfilled, the questions is -- what part will I allow God to work through in me -- that is, in my life? It can be very comforting knowing that "in Christ" I can do all things. However, His word also states that "Without Him I can do nothing". The gentile Ephesians, as are those of us who are not "Jews" in the flesh, but in the Spirit, were adopted into God's perfect plan and are as chosen as adopted sons as His chosen people, the Jews, are. We are predestined to be chosen "in Christ" and grafted in to His perfect plan and purpose. Keeping in mind that we ALL receive an inheritance we do not deserve -- including the Jews -- for it is by faith that we are saved and brought into His kingdom. May we all seek to fulfill what God has predestined that we can accomplish with our life in Him. God has predestined that His plan will be accomplished and will never fail. But I believe that I can either assist or hinder God's plan in my own personal life by the choices I freely make.

Could it be that we are all predestined to be adopted as His sons through Christ Jesus? and it is only through his gift of free will that we make our own determination. I find "free will" scary - not predestination. Predestination is a wonderful gift - thereby Paul's praising God for that gift.

Paul is clear that we are adopted in to Christ has son/daughter(Has u said that adoption in Rome is something getting rights from slaves to Citizen of Rome with full rights...)

So he was comforted that we are now one single family in christ.....

he is using the word Predestination, Our focus was nothing after knowing Christ... Our destination was to focus Cross.. So its like we already choosen(Predistantion) to do work for God and our destination is changed.....

When you think of all that Paul experienced being a follower of christ, is so amazing the obedient and to know that God chose Paul after all that he did the loving kindness and mercy he showed Paul. I am so thankful God didn't pass me by I will praise His name daily. Hallelujah!!!

I guess knowing that your path has alway been design could be alittle scary and at the same time comforting knowing that God has your life in His control. To let us know that God is in control. I do not understand you second part to the question

• 2 weeks later...

I don't find anything scary in this predestination. Maybe scary is whenit is used in everyda speech with people who think horoscopes and similar things predestinate their lives.

It is comforting when I realise that God, creator of all universe created me and had a plan for me even before I was concived. It gives purpose to my life. And I think this is the reason Paul brings up predestination in his letter.

He praising God because we can have for the rest of the time this important thing before our eyes and can rem,ber it end re-read it as many times as we need comfort , safety nad purpose for our life.

The idea of predestination may be hard for me to comprehend sometimes, but never scary. On the contrary, I find it very comforting to know that God had (and has) a plan for my whole life. That He had me in mind even back when I didn't know Him! I think Paul brings it up to show us that it's not how we were living before, but now that we should focus on. Gloryinging God now-God knew we were sinners before, but it didn't matter.

I've never considered it as 'scary' in the sense of being frightened. I've always thought of God's predestined plan for me as being surrounded by God's grace. That means in my calling, God by grace, doesn't show me all the 'bumps in the road' ahead, but just the ones nearby that by his grace and power, I can overcome or get by. God is there with me, in spite of my inadequacies or failures. Paul is praising because, I believe, he well knows the meaning of God's grace. I like that. :-)

Predestination can be scary because it takes the "control" out of our hands; it brings about an "unknown" which most often unsettles us in our human nature.... What is comforting is knowing that God loves us so much - His plan is to give us a future and a hope. He always wants to bless us with all sorts of blessings beyond what we can ask or think. It's also a comfort to know that God thought about each of us individually to play a role in His plan....I think Paul brings it up to let the Ephesians know that they weren't an after-thought. God planned for them to be in the family before the creation.

What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he is praising God for it in the hearing of the Ephesians?

The older I grow the more comfortable I am with predestination maybe because my understanding has grown. God planned before the foundations of the earth for you and me. That's not scary (awesome like He is maybe) but rather comforting. God's plan is not haphazard but well planned with a "firm foundation Christ Jesus our Lord". J. Vernon McGee puts it this way "God the Father planned the church, God the Son paid for the church, and God the Holy Spirit protects the church". This is comforting! I also like what Charles Spurgeon said, " God chose me before I came into the world because if He'd waited until I got here, He never would have chosen me." We are all in this. We are sinners chosen by Him by predestination before we had a chance to do anything. Thank you Father, thank you Son, and thank you Holy Spirit. It is indeed a firm foundation and well planned.

Paul brings up predestination out of love so we may know the truth. Not that we chose Him but that He chose us! I never would have chosen Him on my own. He saved me, He brought me up out of a miry pit. He knew right where to find me.

God Bless each of you!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

:P There is nothing scary for me about being predestined; because I am. But for those who are non-believers it is definitely scary because they have no hope.

It is comforting to me to know that God loved me so much that He provided for me even before I was born. In addition, to undersrand that He wanted me to be apart of His family. I believe that Paul is praising God for the greatness of what He has done for us. I also believe that Paul wanted the Ephesians to understand that God is not just the God of the Jews, but of all those whom He loves.

The only thing that I can think could be scary about predestination is if God was not the one with the plan. To me predestination would only be scary if it was determined by the devil or by man, but since everything is predestined by our wonderful, holy and loving God, then it's not scary.

It is comforting to me, and I have learned this many times, because God's plans are so much better and greater than anything the human mind could come up with or put into action themselves. Sometimes I think I know what I want and what is best for me and then God shows up and has a different plan, that exceeds anything I could have imagined. It's also comforting because in my translation (NLT) it says, "And this gave him great pleasure." God delights in having a good and perfect plan for us and bringing it to pass. He chose us!

Why do I think Paul brings up predestination?... I think because he was talking about spiritual blessings and God adopting us, he wanted to make the point, that all of this was God's plan from the beginning. Again my translation says that even before God made the world, He chose us!

I think the Paul is praising God for it because he knows where he would be if it were not for our Lord's grace and mercy. I know full well that I have had the same moments where it hits me, that the places I would probably be right now, would not be for my best. But God... I love that phrase, but God. But God, showed up, took me under His wing, loved me unconditionally, and is currently fullfilling His purposes for my life. I'm with Paul...PRAISE YOU, JESUS!!!!

What is scary about predestination is that this has been implied that some are chosen and some are not. Unless this predestination refers to God's redemption plan of which his plan is for all and you are saved by Grace through faith. We each have been given free will to accept salvation or not. His heart, though ,wishes that none shall perish. That is why He is patient is gathering in the fullness of the Gentiles. God has a glorious plan to redeem his own and is in control of all time and eternity to come. This comforts me because of the hope of His glory being revealed once and for all at His appointed time. May Jesus send his angels soon to gather His own.

I think Paul brings up predestination because he is letting the Ephesians know that God is in control of the salvation of the world. That his plan is from before the begining of time. God knew in advance the end from the begining. That is why Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega.

I think Paul is praising God because of God's marvelous plan - which is very hopeful.

My mind can only comprehend a miniscule amount of what God has in store for me in Heaven.

Glory-Glory-Glory to God :lol::P

It is scary because some people fear it excludes them from God's grace with no opportunity of redemption. It is comforting since God has predestined us to be in His grace and we should be happy in that knowledge. Likewise Ephesians were selected to be in the predestined plan of God and hence it is to be praised.

• 1 month later...

misrepresenting god's call, trampling and neglecting his sons offering and rejecting his holy spirit. this is to me very scary.but what is comforting to me is that he has covered everything, past,present and future and all i had to do was respond to his call. i just had to believe that he did this... even for me. and i think paul knew that no personal achievement could ever come close [ philippians 3]but he also knew that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of god. this was his calling, woe is me if i preach not the gospel, and it really must of encouraged him greatly to hear of the ephesians grasping the gospel.i believe it is one thing to comprehend the message but a whole different one to apprehend it.

• 1 month later...

I believe predestination is a very scary thought when we get caught up in a legalistic mindset. Legalism says somehow I have to be good enough, holy enough, righteous enough for God to extend His favor. The fear comes in because we know we always fall short. In spite of all of our best efforts we always fall short. I know, I was caught up in a legalist church for years. I didn't realize it, I thought I understood grace, but I spent years trying to be good enough. There would always be fear when I read that I was to be "blameless and holy". It wasn't until I really understood grace - and oh how I love that word now - that I could rest in God's care instead of my own efforts.

• 4 weeks later...

Ephesians 1:4-5

Believe me, nothing is really scary about predestination, it is a great comfort to know that God knew us and chose us before the foundation of the world. Paul made us to realize that before we come to the knowledge of Jesus, God has a plan and purpose for our life. Jeremiah.1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; He has plan for our life. Jesus said, ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you. He redeem us from the curse of law forgive us our sin, gave us a great future. I think Paul was praising God for His plans and purpose for Ephesians and having escaped the damnation of hell

• 2 months later...

To me the scary thing is that I hve no control over His choice to offer His grace or not. I have control over whether I accept His grace, but not whether he offeres it. This is a very scary concept to us "control freaks".

However, I am comforted by the fact that he did offer His grace, even in the face of my pride and sin.

I believe that Paul brings this up to remind us all, gentile and jew alike, that we are not better than anyone or closer to God. God, in His great love, offered this gift of grace to us all and did this before he formed any of us.

I don't think that it matters that it was "in the hearing of the Ephesians". The point of Pauls letters was to teach and teach to any who read the letters then or now, through out time. Paul was emphasizing our chosenness and our responsibilities as God's children to "make disciples of all the world."