JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q36. Christian Unity

I think that we should expend as much energy on Christian unity as it takes to keep us united.

The “bond of peace” is that keeps us together. That us what will unite us because there is peace and everybody can get along. The way that we can strike at peace when we are intent on argument and dissension is to state our position and listen to the others then be willing to agree to disagree.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Ephesians 4:3) How much energy must we expend on Christian unity? What is "the bond of peace"? How do we strike at peace when we are intent on argument and dissension?

We must exert as much energy and patience as possible to preserve Christian unity. We must fight for the faith in love, not causing contentions in the church. Love being the most important command of all, given by our Lord, we must in all patience guard the unity of the church, we are all one in the Lord.  

The bond of piece is that maturity that comes from love in one for another. The church builds itself up growing in the ways of our Lord, who provides this bond to hold us together.

Arguments and distensions, which strike at peace, will cause us to lose our love in the church. The Lord has given us the command of peace, we should fight with patience to keep it.  

• 1 year later...

We must expend a great deal of energy on Christian unity. We must work to keep love between all of us. We cannot allow petty arguments to divide the true believers. We must work in love and patience as Christ has taught us to do.

The bond of peace is love. Love will keep all things working together in harmony. There can not be peace if people are always arguing or belittling each other. There must be a central connection on which we can work together. We will destroy everything because of not getting along. We will cause people to walk away where they can find more peace, love and understanding.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:48 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Ephesians 4:3) How much energy must we expend on Christian unity? What is "the bond of peace"? How do we strike at peace when we are intent on argument and dissension?

We should make every effort to spend (all) our energy on Christian unity.

The Lord is Peace, and he gives us that Peace in this world as long as we stay close to him in the Word, it is what keeps us fighting the good fight of faith.

By prayer and staying close to the Lord in his Word.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q36. Christian Unity
  • 2 months later...

Q36. (Ephesians 4:3) How much energy must we expend on Christian unity?

All it takes and whatever it cost by the leading and the enabling of the Holy Spirit.

What is "the bond of peace"?

That which will keep and bind us together; love.

How do we strike at peace when we are intent on argument and dissension?

we can be able to keep the peace and unity of the church only when we are able to avoid nasty arguments and dissension. This is tough and only achievable with the grace of God and the help of the Holy Spirit.

Q36. (Ephesians 4:3) How much energy must we expend on Christian unity? What is "the bond of peace"? How do we strike at peace when we are intent on argument and dissension? 
We are told to make every effort to preserve the unity of the Spirit, and as Pastor Ralph mentions ‘this is a command’. It is a command we must obey! Unity does not happen by accident; we are too self-centred, selfish, and proud for this to happen, it takes hard work and diligent effort. It might take years to build unity and peace in a congregation, but just a single act can destroy these efforts and create warring factions. One selfish person can stir up strife among many. One member teaching false doctrine can split a congregation. It is fragile and easily broken. To keep the unity of the Spirit means to live at peace with one another, and it demands that we make every effort to keep this unity. “The bond of peace” is the glue which binds us together in spite of all our natural differences. The Holy Spirit has made all true believers one in Christ; this is a basic unity that nothing can destroy. With the proper altitude toward God and His Word, and the proper altitude toward one another there will not be any room for arguments and dissension. This is the unity taught in God’s Word by the Holy Spirit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Paul: "Make every effort to keep the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace."

Compare this to Jesus as recorded in MT: "Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Luke reads: "Think ye that I am come to give peace in the earth ? I tell you, Nay; but rather division."

John MacArthur's commentary: 

Mt 10:34 not . . . peace but a sword. Though the ultimate end of the gospel is peace with God (John 14:27Rom. 8:6), the immediate result of the gospel is frequently conflict. Conversion to Christ can result in strained family relationships (vv. 3536), persecution, and even martyrdom. Following Christ presupposes a willingness to endure such hardships (vv. 323337–39). Though He is called “Prince of Peace” (Is. 9:6), Christ will have no one deluded into thinking that He calls believers to a life devoid of all conflict.

I don't think Paul's command supersedes Jesus' words, so am trying to figure out a way to weave them together. It seems that there is a point, Pastor Ralph, at which we forgo unity for truth ... and a point where truth can be nudged aside in favour of unity.

I'm not smart enough to know where that point is. Perhaps, in each situation, the Holy Spirit reveals to us what we should do? I don't think, however, that the blanket formula is true: unity/peace must take precedence over truth/purity. I'm very sorry. In my wee opinion, there are times when "nasty arguments and dissention" is required. And, I think the church is stronger, not weaker, after denominational splits, not in the short-term, but in the long-term.

Ecumenism, I've noticed, was the sauce sprinkled by spiritually weak and dying oldline congregations and denominations, not those strong and thriving. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:48 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q36. (Ephesians 4:3) How much energy must we expend on Christian unity? What is "the bond of peace"? How do we strike at peace when we are intent on argument and dissension?

We should give ourselves to Christian unity and make every effort to live peaceably. 

Be in the bond of peace, that is , not cause offense, be sensitive to others feelings.  Apologize when you necessary.

When our intent is to argue, we need to pause and respond to the Spirit's leading.  We need to tell the truth but do it in love still maintaining the bond of peace.

• 4 weeks later...

We must do our utmost to maintain inward agreement with other Christians.  We need to avoid the dangers of maintaining attitudes of offense and pride.   Peace loving attitude and a peace-seeking spirit are essential in the Gospel ministry.  This bond of peace !

Counterproductive!   I have personally seen that when there is absence of this bond of peace---endless arguments and "running after rabbits" takes place.   Amongst different groups of Amish, sadly this has been the case.  However, there is a need to contend earnestly for the truth.  No doubt about that!  St. Paul was adamant about that.   We must do all with love, patience and gentleness.   This was the mindset of St. Paul when he dealt with erring churches and those that deserted him.  

Being in the Full Gospel Businessmen Fellowship for years, I witnessed this "bond of peace".  Different denominations indeed but the banner of Christ was held up high.  Christ is the center of our Faith.  Just so amazing when people of different cultures and church backgrounds get saved, healed and baptized with the Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...