JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (Ephesians 5:19-20)

What kind of attitude should underlie our corporate singing?

How is corporate singing designed to help us singers?

How is it designed to worship God?

How does singing in your own daily life help you worship?

We should have an attitude of thankfulness, an inward joy and praise to God. We will want to talk and sing about the things of the Lord. When filled with the Holy Spirit we bubble over with joy and sing with all our heart to the Lord. Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Where the Spirit reigns, there is gratitude to God, a deep sense of appreciation, and thankfulness. This is a sure way to happiness, thank and praise God for everything that happens to us. It is easy to be thankful for sunshine; it takes the power of the Spirit to be thankful for the storms of life.

• 9 months later...

Q4. (Ephesians 5:19-20) What kind of attitude should underlie our corporate singing? How is corporate singing designed to help us singers? How is it designed to worship God? How does singing in your own daily life help you worship?

One of gratitude. Corporate singing is designed to help us be unified and working as one. It shows our submition to Him. It helps me to realize that He is with me and is going to stay with me!

• 11 months later...

Q4. (Ephesians 5:19-20) What kind of attitude should underlie our corporate singing? How is corporate singing designed to help us singers? How is it designed to worship God? How does singing in your own daily life help you worship?

An attitude of thankfulness shouyld underlies our corporate singing and all true worship.

Corporate singing is designed to help us singers focus on Jesus alone the object of our praise and worship.

Corporate singing is designed to worship God and honor him for his goodness and mercy.

Singing in my own daily life leads me into the presence of God. It is a time of praise and worship. The Holy Spirit stire me up and leads me in to another level of worship.

An attitude of thankfulness should underlies our corporate singing and all true worship.

Corporate singing is designed to help us singers focus on Jesus alone the object of our praise and worship.

Corporate singing is designed to worship God and honor him for his goodness and mercy.

Singing in my own daily life leads me into the presence of God. It is a time of praise and worship for me. The Holy Spirit stirs me on and leads me into another level of worship.

• 4 weeks later...

4a)In humility and servanthearted attitude of united thanks & praise to God should underline our corporate singing.

B)Corporate singing is designed to focus our worship on Jesus the source sacrifice in humility.

c) It is designed for us to worship God in honour of his mercy and love for us as sinners,saved by him.

D)Singing is and living as God asks is for me my worship to God. The holy Spirit empowers me to another level of intimacy and worship in thanks and praise for the awesome generosity of God’s love and mercy for me in Christ, freeing me from the past, equipping me for the current and for the future. :D

4a)In humility and servanthearted attitude of united thanks & praise to God should underline our corporate singing.

B)Corporate singing is designed to focus our worship on Jesus the source sacrifice in humility.

c) It is designed for us to worship God in honour of his mercy and love for us as sinners,saved by him.

D)Singing is and living as God asks is for me my worship to God. The holy Spirit empowers me to another level of intimacy and worship in thanks and praise for the awesome generosity of God’s love and mercy for me in Christ, freeing me from the past, equipping me for the current and for the future. :D

• 1 year later...

The kind of attitude that should underlie our corporate singing is one of thanks giving. God has given us everything that we have and we should be grateful for that. I think that corporate singing is designed to help us singers so it can we can sing as loud as we want and still not be heard if we sing off key.

It is designed to worship God because most of the hymns are hymns of thank giving. Just like singing in my daily life helps me worship because it gives me a grateful heart.

• 1 year later...

The attitude that should underline our corporate singing should always be with an attitude of thankfulness to God for all we have.

Our corporate singing should always help us by worshiping God our father and building up one another by the singing. By exalting God our Creator and giving Him thanks for all things is a good way to worship God and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Singing in our daily life helps us to stay up lifted and gives praise and honor to our Lord. The worship singing keeps us intimate with the Lord and strengthens us in our walk with him.  

• 1 year later...

We should sing with heart felt joy. There should be praise of God and thanks giving for all the good things that are given to us on a daily basis. Songs can fill us with love and joy for our God. They can highlight the great things that God does for us on a daily basis. Singing opens up my heart and soul. I am filled with true joy and wonderment. I feel that God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are within me at those moments.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:03 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Joyous

Brings us together as one body in Christ.

Thanking him, lifting him up.

Praising him in song always leaves me in great mood. When I sing to the LordI sometimes I close my eyes and I see Jesus and I'm sitting at his feet and I'm so happy tears fall from my eyes, I'm so blessed to have his love that I always want more.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q49. Singing
  • 2 months later...

Q49. (Ephesians 5:19-20) What kind of attitude should underlie our corporate singing? How is corporate singing designed to help us singers? How is it designed to worship God? How does singing in your own daily life help you worship? 
We should have an attitude of thankfulness, an inward joy and praise to God. We will want to talk and sing about the things of the Lord. When filled with the Holy Spirit we bubble over with joy and sing with all our heart to the Lord. Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Where the Spirit reigns, there is gratitude to God, a deep sense of appreciation, and thankfulness. This is a sure way to happiness, thank and praise God for everything that happens to us. It is easy to be thankful for sunshine; it takes the power of the Spirit to be thankful for the storms of life. 

• 3 weeks later...

What kind of attitude should underlie our corporate singing? How is corporate singing designed to help us singers? How is it designed to worship God? How does singing in your own daily life help you worship?

(I wonder if animals sing.)

Singing pulls at something deep in our minds which is why people describe it as "good feelings" or "letting go." In some ways, it's a workaround of the rational, left-brain thinking, bypassing some of the mental hedges that keep our minds orderly and linear. Most singing isn't corporate, but solitary, but chorus singing somehow makes a very solitary behavior into something that binds a group of individuals. I don't know why or how this happens. In a Christian context, it could be the movement of the Holy Spirit in the souls of singers, but this binding feeling also happens in secular contexts.

Singing pulls up memories. We associate songs with events and people. There are cultures in which singing is a form of memorizing. Most Greek plays/tragedies were sung (is it sang?), children memorize lists by singing them (my kids learned the alphabetized names of each state in the US with a little song). adults remember bible verses in song, and, if I recall correctly, Australian aborigines sing mental maps of their surroundings. I just find it interesting that singing and memorizing are connected, that's all. It's the connection between right and left brain, between singing and words, or singing and happenings or places. Maybe we have God-ward memories that are elicited with song?

What is "soul music?" Isn't it some deep, gut-level sounds that come from the heart? For Christians, digging deeply into one's heart may/should mean touching the work of the Holy Spirit within.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2006 at 9:03 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q49. (Ephesians 5:19-20) What kind of attitude should underlie our corporate singing? How is corporate singing designed to help us singers? How is it designed to worship God? How does singing in your own daily life help you worship?

We should have an attitude of praise, worship and thanksgiving.

When we sing corporately it unites us and brings God's presence in the church and in our hearts. In turn people are healed and delivered.

When we worship the Lord, it is said that He inhabits the praises of His people. 

When singing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs daily in our life, God speaks to us, the words and music are etched in our hearts and the Holy Spirit just brings them to your remembrance when you need them.

• 3 weeks later...

Attitude of worship and reverence is paramount.  One of the big issues today is that churches have become like entertainment venues replete with big screens, bombastic music, lyrics that are doctrinally deficient, and very little reference to Christ and Cardinal doctrines of the Faith.

We are to offer our heartfelt worship to God in congregational worship.  We aren't there in the church to  be entertained.  This is true even if Johann Bach's organ music is used.  A holy awe must be present.

I  need to get back to daily singing in prayer time.   We had many daily chapel services during my college years.  Plus I spent hours in the woods praying and singing out loud._

Attitude of worship and reverence is paramount.  One of the big issues today is that churches have become like entertainment venues replete with big screens, bombastic music, lyrics that are doctrinally deficient, and very little reference to Christ and Cardinal doctrines of the Faith.

We are to offer our heartfelt worship to God in congregational worship.  We aren't there in the church to  be entertained.  This is true even if Johann Bach's organ music is used.  A holy awe must be present.

I  need to get back to daily singing in prayer time.   We had many daily chapel services during my college years.  Plus I spent hours in the woods praying and singing out loud._

• 1 month later...

The attitude that should underline our corporate singing is one of praise to God and Jesus his son. It helps the singers because we can hear God’s words in song and that make it easier to memorize. The singing brings praises to God and my daily life singing keeps me in touch with God.