JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q60. Truth and Righteousness

3a) Jesus, is the source of truth that sets us free. He shows us the way to eternal life. Personal holiness allow’s satan no foothold for him to weaken our faith by his lies about personal inadequacies. Through these weapons God equips us to stand firm &be more powerful than Satan’s lies&deceptions.

B)These are both defensive &offensive powerful weapons because of Christ in our spiritual war,protective against influence of satan, and helps us to grow as followers of Jesus.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Q3. (Ephesians 6:14) Why are such simple things as truth and personal holiness such powerful armament? Are they defensive or offensive weapons?

Simple things as truth and personal holiness are powerful armament because by living a holy life and Gods imputed righteousness, we can stand firm and defeat the devil.

The armament we wear is both defensive and offensive. These armaments teach us how to stand ready and defeat evil.

• 1 year later...

Truth and person holiness can keep us on the correct path of the Lord. We can count on our prayers in the time of personal conflict. We will be able to know the right decision more times than not. I believe the weapons are both defensive and offensive. We can use them to defend our way of lives. We can use them to defend our beliefs. But they are also offensive because we can use them to fight for the rights of others. They will help us to move forward on our paths to teach others about the word of the Lord.

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2006 at 2:03 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Ephesians 6:14) Why are such simple things as truth and personal holiness such powerful armament? Are they defensive or offensive weapons?

They are our link to the Word and to God.

Yes they are defensive and offensive, if we know the Word of God we know how powerful our armament is.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q60. Truth and Righteousness
  • 3 months later...

Q60. (Ephesians 6:14) Why are such simple things as truth and personal holiness such powerful armament? Are they defensive or offensive weapons? 
When we are equipped with the armour God has given us in Jesus Christ we are able to withstand and fight the evil plans of the devil. Both truth and righteousness make a Christian ready for the warfare against the spirits of darkness, and when woven together make us impenetrable. We are to test everything by the truth. Our understanding of and the confidence we have in the doctrines of faith are our foundation in life. It is only when we know the truth that we will not be deceived. When we apply this truth to our daily lives, we find strength and protection in combat. We as Christians have been set apart and belong to God. Every believer is clothed with the righteousness of God (2 Cor 5:21). This is a righteousness received by faith in Jesus Christ, and this gives us a sense of confidence and an awareness of our standing and position. There is integrity and uprightness evident in our personal life. Both these weapons can be used defensively but also offensively. 

Q60. (Ephesians 6:14) Why are such simple things as truth and personal holiness such powerful armament? Are they defensive or offensive weapons?

Truth and personal holiness are powerful armament because they are part of the breastplate righteousness that shields us from the darts of the devil.

These pieces of weapon are defensive because I learnt that the piece of offensive weapon is the sword of the spirit [and it doubles as offensive as well as defensive weapon]

• 2 weeks later...

Why are such simple things as truth and personal holiness such powerful armament? Are they defensive or offensive weapons?

I'm a bit slow and find things like truth and holiness anything but simple to understand! My conscience leads me in holiness more than my mind. Truth is more intellectual and frankly, the more I know, the less I think I understand. God is so great that He's incomprehensible. To say God is love or truth is superficial ... to understand what I'm saying occurs as a moment of insight by the Holy Spirit. My holiness, to the extent that I am holy, makes it possible to have these momentary insights. I think truth is subsequent to holiness, but am unsure about this. 

Truth and holiness are defensive from an individual point of view. They protect, like a belt or breastplate, but can't be used to attack Satan or even the evil in oneself. Socially, though, they may be offensive in the sense that a group of people -- a church the borders of which extend into community -- will be salt/light to their surroundings thus removing territory on which the enemy could have fought. I can dimly see how many Christians, praying and living righteously, would leaven their communities, which though defensive for each individual Christian, as a whole would, perhaps, be offensive in a passive manner. I'm not sure this makes sense.

• 2 months later...

After doing some in depth study on the word "principle" I can state firmly that truth and personal holiness are indispensable.  We have to walk worthy in our vocation. Like Samuel, we study the Bible, pray intently, walking in holiness all the day long.  1 Samuel 12 is a wonderfull description of Samuel's life.   He obeyed God; unlike Saul, Samuel had firm principles.  Obedience is better than sacrifice; we cannot be "half way Covenant" believers. Gideon wanted to follow the Lord early in his career as a judge.   But later in life his principles were compromised especially when a temple vestments called an ephod became an idol.

Having truth and personal holiness serve like uranium rods in a power plant.  Both give a deep sense of ASSURANCE both in defensive and offensive modes. A Bible believer has to be in season and out of season.   Having a "quietistic" attitude is not going to cut it. Being engaged mentally and spiritually is crucial in our walk with God and in personal ministry.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason that simple things like truth and personal holiness is such a powerful armament is because we can see what is going on and we can ask God to help protect is from such thing. I think that they are both defensive and offensive weapons because we will be able to fight off their evil desires.