JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q63. Praying in the Spirit

Q1. (Ephesians 6:18) Why is prayer vital to spiritual warfare? What does it mean to "pray in the Spirit"?

Prayer is one of our ways of comunication with God. It helps us to talk to Jesus and be able to open up to the holy spirit. Prayer in the spirit is a deep and sensual prayer from within and should be consisten with our every day lives.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1a)Prayer is essential in spiritual warfare, because we lack the power on our own to defeat our foe, we need Lord’s power to stand firm when in battle,keep our spirit connected to God. Jesus prayed even though he is God.He is our example,our helper in all things.

b)Pray in the Spirit means to seek God’s leading through the Holy Spirit to guide every kind of prayer we make, so we know how to pray,so prayers are empowered by Him, & made effective by Him,he even prays for us when we don’t have the words. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Q1. (Ephesians 6:18) Why is prayer vital to spiritual warfare? What does it mean to "pray in the Spirit"?

Prayer is vital to spiritual warfare because we war not against flesh and blood but against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Satan is continually at war with all those who belong to Christ.

When praying we should always let the Holy Spirit intercede for us, for we know  not what to pray about and when we diligently pray the Holy Spirit helps us keep our concentration on the things that are important to the saints.    

• 1 year later...

Prayer is the one thing that keeps us right with God. It keeps us from sinning. It helps us to keep the grace of God. It will help us to fight off all evil that is around us. To pray in  the Spirit means to open our hearts, minds and souls to God. It means to pray for all those that need it. It means to go before the Lord with all kinds of things. It means to have a conversation with God on a daily and ongoing basis.

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2006 at 2:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It helps fight the unseen.

To pray in tongues, between God and you.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q63. Praying in the Spirit
  • 3 months later...

Q63. (Ephesians 6:18) Why is prayer vital to spiritual warfare? What does it mean to "pray in the Spirit"? 
Since our struggle is with spiritual forces, forces that we on our own are powerless against - we need God to help us. We are therefore to earnestly pray. Our prayer should be persistent and not an isolated prayer done now and then. We are to use all kinds of prayer: supplication and intercession; confession and humiliation; praise and thanksgiving. These can be done in public or in the quiet of our home. Our prayer should be in the Spirit, in other words guided, inspired, empowered and led by the Holy Spirit. It has been said, "Satan trembles when he sees the weakest saint upon his knees."

Q63. (Ephesians 6:18) Why is prayer vital to spiritual warfare? What does it mean to "pray in the Spirit"? 

Prayer is communication to Headquarters  seeking divine intervention of our God to help us with Divine missiles. This is vital because our battle is spiritual warfare with spiritual forces with powers that can be overcome only by superior power of our God.

Praying in the Spirit is to pray with the influence or power of the Holy Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciated -- muchly -- Pastor Ralph's description of prayer as struggle. So many Christians, particularly those in front who pray aloud, are glib. Their prayers seem effortless, to me, which makes my own halting, stuttering, doubting and silent prayers seem spiritually inferior (which they may be). I don't see a lot of struggle in rhetorically smooth prayers. 

Prayer IS difficult. For one, in the bleak periods of life, it's quite difficult to believe God is listening ... our prayers seem to rise like ether into an blank, empty atmosphere. Yet God is there.  Secondly, knowing how to pray, coming up with the right words to describe our problem, need, desire, appreciation, or praise is also difficult. To say exactly what we feel/think without resorting to idioms or canned expressions is far more difficult than it should be -- using our own, heart-felt words, that is. That sort of truthfulness and honest expressing before God may be important. Third, persistently unanswered prayers challenge us to keep praying. Prevailing prayer is like scrubbing at a prayer until it comes clean. The word Paul uses is wrestle ... I prefer scrub, but it's the same thing. It's the chore-like quality of prayer, that dutiful return to a desperate prayer that never seems to be answered. The wrestling includes the internal self-discipline to keep praying when it makes no rational sense to do so.

Again, I'm not sure when it's spiritual warfare and when it's just my damaged and weak character that's at issue. Everyone here seems clear about who they're battling, themselves or Satan. I don't have that clarity. For this reason I assume that prayer is vital to achieving victory in all faith struggles, whether created by my own weak character or imposed by Satan, that is, whether the battle is purely internal or has the dimensions of "spiritual warfare."

There seems to be a range of meanings of praying in the Spirit, from less dramatic and esoteric (invoking the Holy Spirit's help or presence) to more "extreme" (praying in a language and content that is not understood). 

• 1 month later...

Very important indeed!  Jesus Christ was always in Communion with His Father, so we must do likewise.   We can pray without words; God knows those unalterable groanings.   We go through the dark nites of the soul where words cannot be formed.  God knows our petitions; He hears those requests as well.   Still we need to have an active and well managed prayer life.  This has been the standard tradition of the church.  Praying the psalms out loud and other Bible texts are important.  We are still human, we need to offer up rational worship.  The divine graces we receive in prayer time fortify us; the Holy Spirit administers the balm of Gilead to our souls.

We pray in the Spirit when we join in liturgical and evangelical services.   In the ordinary Liturgical worship, we are in union with the heavenly choirs and those heavenly witnesses in heaven.   Just to say "Jesus is Lord" is of the Holy Spirit.  The Pauline theology of the mystical body of Christ underscores this.   We are predestined and foreordained to pray in the Spirit; we are elect Church of God, called to stand in the gap for others.

• 3 weeks later...

Prayer is vital to spiritual warfare because we are always being bombarded by the evil one and only the Spirit can help us to battle this enemy. To “pray in the Spirit” means that the Spirit is with us when we pray and is changing our moans and grunts into words for God.