JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Now we are slaves to our new Master. We have to serve Him, as He has bought us for His own. This means that we do what pleases Him, not what pleases our sin nature. It is a daily discipline. Our minds, actions, speech all need to reflect this new ownership. Only the Holy Spirit can help us to do what pleases Him, constantly, joyfully, in all our ways.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tend to think of this body as our own, "it's mine and I will do with it whatever, whenever I choose." This is echoed by a society that says it OK for one or two consenting people to do (almost) whatever they want in the privacy of their own home, as long as it doesn't affect someone else.

If your father gave you an expensive car, sacrificing all of his savings, would you use it to store your junk in? No, you would value it and want to use it for its intended purpose.

I must disagree when someone says that "we are not free". Pick a verse of many, "you shall be free indeed" John 8:36; "Christ has made us free" (Gal 5:1)

It is a difficult concept, but we are like the freed slaves that choose to stay and serve their master.

You are not your own... you were bought with a price and how should effect our living?

I was never my own even before I dedicated my life to Christ. He created me... therefore I was His. Even those who may not believe in Him will fully understand some day that they belong to God. We may at times believe in the "Free Spirit" which says to me this is of Flesh and Selfishness, but whether we choose Him or Self, one way or another we are going to witness who we really belong to.

In His own way, knowing how we are He chose to pay the cost of our sins... simply put: He paid the cost of what our own sins would have cost us... Death Eternal; but whoah He only died in the Flesh, but Lives in Spirit. This is the same example He desires for us... to die of the Flesh and Live in Spirit with Him. It is not easy, but it is worth it.

I pray for God to redirect our Desires so that they may be more of His Desires. Sunshine :D

• 1 month later...

"We were bought with a price"...with a very dear one (One)!

If this is so, than we owe everything to God. We in essence have had our servitude switched from sin to God.

Even though He gives us our freedom. Our love and thankfulness, should push us to fulfill this obligation by serving Him and all of His children. Therefore, in our lives we should not say, "mine",except when we are talking about our iniquities. (which we will always need to talk about and seek forgiveness). Rather, we should say "His" and "ours". We need to be ready and willing to give back to God or give to another of God's children any and all possessions (including our lives and children), if God were to ask us to. And we need to do it with a happy and grateful heart. God gave up His only Son for us....can we give less back?

Thank you GOD!!!

• 8 months later...

Q2. How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"?

Jesus paid the price for our sins; the price that we should have paid, so we now belong to Him. He gave us a "guide book of life" with rules to live by. We should read His Word and obey His commandments.

How should this affect our living?

We are all sinners, but the sacrifice was made so we could be redeemed. Even though Jesus paid the price, we still have the ability to choose to accept the Sacrifice He made and spend eternity with God, or to reject Him and spend eternity separated from God. It

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We were designed by God for affiliation. God is Truth and we can affiliate with Him through the Blood of Jesus. Alternatively we can not affiliate with Him, which means that our affiliation is with the father of lies. There is no halfway place. However we do get to choose our affiliation, and it is possible to transfer from the kingdom of lies into which we were born, into the Kingdom of Light and Truth through the Blood of Jesus.

In so doing we enter a blood covenant, completely paid for by Jesus. Blood covenants mean that we live and die for each other, nothing stands in the way of this. It's like going from the pits to the palace and having it all paid for. But in the palace you have to live like a king, not like a thief, so the whole lifestyle changes. If you continue to live like a thief you can't stay in the palace - you lose the privilege. You must adopt the palace lifestyle and take your proper place therein. So you obey a new set of laws - the laws of Love.

• 9 months later...

GOD GAVE HIS BEST FOR US WHEN HE SENT JESUS TO BECOME SIN FOR US AND BE PUNISHED FOR US.AS A RESULT , WE WERE BOUGHT BY A GREAT PRICE. THEREFORE, WE IN TURN SHOULD GIVE HIM OUR BEST BY KEEPING HIS WORD BECAUSE WE LOVE HIM AND WANT OTHERS TO SEE CHRIST IN US.BUT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO LIVE THIS CHRISTIAN LIFE WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE HOLY SPIRIT- THE COMFORTER.I RELY ON HIM TO HELP ME IN MY CHRISTIAN WALK, AND WHEN I MISS THE MARK, I ASK HIS FORGIVENESS AND CONTINUE WALKING WITH HIM.

WE MUST LIVE IN SUCH A WAY THAT OTHERS SEE OUR GOOD WORK AND GLORIFY NOT US BUT OUR HEAVENLY FATHER; WE MUST LIVE GODLY, HOLY LIVES FOR HIS WORD SAYS BE YE HOLY AS I AM HOLY.....GOD BLESS...

• 2 months later...

Q2. How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

We apply the principles by obedience to God and His will for our lives. We belong to Him and our mind set must be not our will but Yours Lord.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

Having the freedom to do whatever we want is really not being free because we are enslaved toour own desires.

When we become Christians, the Holy Spirit dwells within us and we no longer own our bodies. Christ's death freed us from sin but it obligates us to his service and His standards of living.

• 2 months later...

:) We do not belong to ourselves. We now belong to the Lord Jesus Christ because he paid sin's price on the cross to buy us back from the slavery of sin.

This should affect our daily lives by taking all decisions and choices in life to him and do what he would have us do. Also anything he might lay on our heart we should also do. The way to know is through Bible reading,prayer

and the preaching of God's Word.

• 4 months later...

We are not our own, we were bought with a price (a very hefty price). We should live ever thankful to God for the sacrifice made for us. Our bodies, our lives, what we do or say should also reflect that we are owned by someone else now!! "Under New Ownership!"

• 3 months later...

Many people say they have the rigth to do whatever they want with their own bodies. Although they think that this is freedom , they are enslaved to their own desires .

When we become Christians , the Holy Spirit comes to live in us .Therefore we no longer own our bodies . That God bought us . Christ's death freed us from sin but also obligates us to His service . If you live in a building owned by someone else , you try not to violate the building's rules . Because your body belongs to God , you must not violate His standard for living .

• 6 months later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"?

As disciples we should apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price," as a fact of who we are. We are owned by Him who paid the ransom price. We do not own ourselves.

How should this affect our living?

Our living should be as unto the Lord, our Master.

• 7 months later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

Because we are not our own, but were bought with a price, we should honor God with our bodies. Only doing those things that glorify the Lord God Almighty.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) How should we disciples apply the principles: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

i m living in an international city, I use to meet people from very different cultures. I know young ladies and gentlemen who argue when they are told about Jesus; They say that if they become Christians, they will loose their freedom in the sens that they won't be allowed to have sexual fun, and all the other good things of their youth and of the life... That made me think a lot, specially i thought of the importance of the Holy Spirit in the life of a Christian...

When Jesus bought us, He made our body become the Holy Spirit's temple. So our body become the house of God's spirit, it is not a instrument to have pleasure, or to have fun with others until it becomes unworthy... Our body, by its sexual nature, give us the opportunity to praise the lord each time we let the Spirit overcome any occasion of sexual thoughts, behaviours or acts... It is not to go without enjoying ours, but to delight ourselves in the Lord...And because of this, the Lord will give us grace to experience His great Love, we will surely be more capable of loving and respecting the other (our future spouse, our fellows...).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Q3. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) How should we disciples apply the principle: "You are not your own, you were bought with a price"? How should this affect our living?

We were bought with a price we could not pay, therefore, we were set free from the bondage of sin, Satan no longer has a stronghold over us; we can now glorify God in our body, Christ has set us free from sins bondage, it is our reasonable service now to glorify God, how? by living holy lives! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

For me we are bought with a price. The blood of Jesus Christ. Who would die for us like that. This was murder for he did nothing wrong. Yes he could have gotten out of it of course. But this was not God's and Jesus's intention. They thought about us. Us the sinners who didn't know who God was and to this day a lot of people don't. Because we can't see him or touch him we think he doesn't exists. Jesus new he had to do this for our salvation. He asked God to forgive the sinner for they did not know. We need to look up in the sky into heaven and just know that we are owned by God. How wonderful is that. We are set free. Satan can try to hurt us but if we are with God he can not do anything to us. I tell my children always get out of the world yes live in the world but under God. Do not let Satan use you in any way shape or form. Until Jesus rains on earth again Satan rains now but God owns the world, satan and us. So for our own good look up to God for guidance and let him lead us through Jesus Christ our Lord. Love our freedom and enjoy loving each other for he gave us a free will to enjoy his earth but also to always watch for the destroyer because he doesn't want us happy. But God does want us happy. Don't worry, don't worry just let God lead the way. Be happy in your misfortunes be cheeful God has a plan for all of us for the good. God Bless

• 2 months later...

:rolleyes: 'You are not your own, you were bought with a price'. This principle should be applied by us, the disciples, by honoring God with our bodies. Paul said in I Cor. 6:18: 'Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.

It is God's will first and foremost that needs to be obeyed in our lives, since now God owns us - let Him be our Master and let us not again become slaves of men and of our own lustful desires.

:) Goood Post

since we are bought with the precious blood of our savior Jesus Christ ,we should not live in sin or in slavery to sin

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Right now, this principle is being applied in my life by the Father, in that my time is not my own. That is, when I say "finally! some time of my own!" I'm forgetting who owns my time. Sometimes, i do get to have rest and relaxation or recreation for a day or part of a day...and sometimes God sends someone or something that needs me for the time I would have had "for myself." Most nights, I get to sleep all night long until my alarm wakes me, but sometimes I am wakened by something or other, and spend time instead of sleeping, in prayer or holy reading. My time is NOT my own. It belongs to God, and He can use me however He will, whatever hour of the day or night.

There is an image in my mind, from watching The Jesus Film which came out 15 or so years ago. It was based entirely on the Gospel of Luke, and there is one very brief scene, where the Lord is sleeping and the disciples wake Him. The actor portrays Jesus SO well. You can see that He wanted and needed to sleep, and the expression on His face as He is shaken awake goes from sort of dazed to a brief almost longing to still be asleep, to complete patience and servitude. He stills the storm, doing what His disciples need Him to do, from sheer love.