JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Hardened by Sin

Without faith, we are no longer partners with Christ. With faith, we share eternity with Him.

Sin tricks us by gradually hardening our hearts. We become desensitized over time and what once we knew was bad, isn't so bad, then it's okay, then it's desired.

With Christian fellowship we are reminders for each other - we become accountable to each other.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Hebrews 3:12-14) What is the importance of faith in our relationship to Christ? How does sin trick us? How does it harden us? What is the value of Christian fellowship to keep our faith strong?

That we must have faith, to have belief in Jesus Christ. We must look within ourself and see our own weakness, do a heart check....make sure our heart is pure, clean and not to be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. Sin can trick us by falling out of fellowship with other believers. No man is an island. It is not good being alone, we need the encouragements, exhortations and prayers from our brothers and sisters.

Faith in Jesus is what keeps me going. Faith in the word of God is what keeps me going. It is all about faith. When I apply my armor , there are two things i am so very thankful for and it is kind of like an on going smile between Jesus and I. When I apply my shield of faith, it is this piece of the armor that if I didn't have it, I wouldn't even believe in all the rest of the armor, even the helmet of salvation. I think my mere existence is all based on faith because by all rights, I shouldn't even be here. It is by pure faith that I even wake up in the morning and breath a breath. It is God's faith in me that truly surprises me, but hey... He is God so that's all good with me. I exist only for His good pleasure so if He has faith in me, I surely should have faith in Him.

Sin is very tricky isn't it? I never really discovered until this lesson just how very tricky satan can be. The sin seems pleasurable at the time (Hebrews 11:25), but it is deadly. The writer of Proverbs observes, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death" Sin is a pattern in our lives, so it makes complete since to me now that any sin that we have fought over and over, especially the one that hid us from Christ was in fact the very sin that Satan used to keep me away from God. I felt like I had to clean up my act before I could move forward and then fell behind because temptation of that sin was great. Still to this day, that sin is the one that tries to dominate me but through this lesson in Hebrews so far I am coming to a great understanding about this particular sin and just like Jesus, I must overcome it, completely, once and for all because that too, is a type and shadow of what Jesus did for us. He died for all man kind, once and for all...... The values of Christian fellowship is something we can not ignore. Our friends are our friends because God placed us in each position for such a time as this. It is the friends that God has placed in my path that He will wake up in the middle of the night just to pray for me and visa versa. Yes, Our fellowship with the body is how He works through us to get things done here on this planet. Praise God!

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Hebrews 3:12-14) What is the importance of faith in our relationship to Christ?

If we do not continue in our faith in Christ Jesus and His resurrection, than our faith is empty and we are still in our sins. Salvation, Rest, comes to us by "faith" in Christ, making us His bride, a relationship we treasure, a true relationship that grows closer, and closer, as we stay in the faith, stay in the Word, stay in love, with the lover of our soul.

How does sin trick us?

We Christians are still humans and are still living in the world, we may still sin, but we must not continue in our sin as a sinner does. Remember, we are Christ's workmanship, created for good works that God says we are to walk in. Do not think God's grace is a way for us to continue in sin, do not let Satan's condemnation keep us from God, for our faith is in Jesus who is there to forgive us our sins through a repentant heart.

Do not grow weary, do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galations 6:9

How does it harden us?

It is impossible to please God without faith, it seperates us from the sweet fellowship of God in spirit and in truth. A hardened heart is seen as rebellion to God. Moses generation in the wilderness refused to trust in God to supply their needs, they tested God with their complaining, and their hearts became hard, not knowing God's ways. There was no rest for that generation.

What is the value of Christian fellowship to keep our faith strong?

We are to warn and admonish one another about the truth, to exhort one another, for this is an effective way to ward off a hardened heart. We are to encourage each other in faith, and obedience, for we are partakers with Christ in the blessing of the promised rest. A warning to take to our hearts.

The importance of faith in our relationship to Christ is that it helps us to stay in close fellowship.

Sin tricks us by making us believe that because we are saved it is ok to sin. I know Christians who use the excuse " I'm saved by grace" to justify their sins.

This hardens us because if we continue in sin, we eventually become desensitized to it. Eventually it will cause us to harden our hearts.

The value of Christian fellowship to keep our faith strong is that we need one another for accountibility. We need to encourage and exhort our brothers and sisters in the faith. Someone said once that there is no such thing as a lone ranger Christian. God means for us to have fellowship with other believers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Q2. (Hebrews 3:12-14) What is the importance of faith in our relationship to Christ? How does sin trick us? How does it harden us? What is the value of Christian fellowship to keep our faith strong?

Faith is important because it keeps our focus on Jesus. The word says,

• 2 months later...

We must be show our of God's word and Jesus' teaching and understanding among each other. by our good life, by deeds done in humility that comes from wisdom. Sin comes in by harboring bitter envey and selfish ambition in our hearts if we boast about it or deny the truth. We can keep our faith strong today to keep a good fellowship with other Chirstians.

• 2 months later...

I think faith is importance because that is the base of our relationship with Christ.....we have to have faith in Him in which we have not yet seen. Faith defined: Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Sin tricks us in our everyday life......in little things so that as we look at them and ok them cause they aren't hurting anyone we get hardened and the bigger things then seem smaller then nothing seems like sin.

The first thing someone does when they start slipping away from God is to seperate themselves from the other Children of God....so no one will see what kind of shape they are getting into. But when we come together it is harder to slip away from God because we lift each other up as we praise the Lord. As we come together we strengthen each other.

• 2 months later...

Faith, I believe, is our hope in action. A true testament to our belief in Christ. Sin tricks us by appealing to every one of our senses. The pleasures pleasure us and makes us feel good, to the point that we will believe all is good. The reality is that it hardens our heart against the Lord and becomes second nature. The value of Christian fellowship is highly regarded because we each can encourage and esteem one another to help each other not to fall into the pit. If we are true believers, true Brothers and Sisters in Christ, we shouldn't allow others to fall into apostasy. <_<

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Hebrews 3:12-14) What is the importance of faith in our relationship to Christ?

Maintaining faith in Christ will keep us strong, steadfast, with full confidence in our walk and service to the LORD knowing in certainty that what He promised, he will perform.

How does sin trick us?

Sin is insidious. It comes in subtley, developing so gradually as to be well established before becoming apparent (if you aren't guarding your walk). It's much like the old analogy of the frog in the pot of water having the heat gradually turned up on him, ever unaware or unconcerned about the gradual change, until it is finally too late and he is doomed.

How does it harden us?

We allow it to creep in gradually until we become immune, even blind to it's destructive tendencies and suffer no conviction in continuing to practice those things offensive to the walk of faith.

Proverbs 27:17 Iron by iron is sharpened, And a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

We exhort one another to good works and encourage each other with our testimonies and victories to continue steadfastly in the faith that saves us.

• 4 weeks later...

It's possible to start with Jesus, and not finish, and faith helps us to finish well. Unbelief can lead us away from God....to become apostate, and the writer strongly warns us of this possibility.

How does sin trick us? How does it harden us?

Sin is seductive and seems pleasurable at the time...Satan seduces us then when we fall, he turns on us and accuses us! We can become hardened through continued disobedience and rebellion in a sinful lifestyle.

As a new believer I was devastated when a man at church committed suicide, and I asked a Pastor how this could happen to a Christian...He pointed out that this man was a loner, then said, "The wolf always lurks around the edge of the flock, looking for the one who wanders off alone, without support."

We need one another, for support, encouragment, accountability....iron sharpens iron. In the heat of the battle it's possible to temporarily forget what we know...a brother/sister in Christ can under gird us with prayer and encouragment...can help us stay on track.

• 1 month later...

I believe to truly believe in Christ we must have faith. Faith keeps us connected to God and His promises and gives us courage and strength to serve Him.

How does sin trick us?

Sin can so easily trick up by making our faith weak and by keeping us from putting Christ first in our lives. The more sin enters our lives, the weaker our faith becomes and we can easily lose our relationship with the Lord.

How does it harden us? What is the value of Christian fellowship to keep our faith strong?

Sin causes us to turn away from God and our hearts can easily become hardened as we lose the joy of being connected to our Heavenly Father. Christian fellowship provides love and support and a true Christian friend can point out to us ways sin is entering our lives. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Q1- We share in Christ through our faith in him. Our faith gives us courage to press on in our struggles as Christians and it keeps as alert to the deceitfulness of sin. Through faith we are able to approach God and to humble ourselves before him and to ask Him for forgiveness every time we fall for sin's deception. Through faith in Christ we believe that our sins are forgiven and we have another chance to receive eternal life.

Q2 - Q3 When we are unable to recognize our own weaknesses, we are unable to recognize sin's deceitfulness and it becames pleasurable and right to us. We then continually give in to its pleasantness and we are unable to recognize when we are sinning.

Q4 - Paul says in Romans 1:12 (NCV) "I want us to help each other with the faith we have. Your faith will help me, and my faith will help you." Fellowships help us to be more consistent in our faith, they allow for us to open ourselves up to other Christians to walk with us, encourage us and to help us grow spiritually and emotionally healthy.

• 4 months later...

Faith is important because without faith we cannot please God. Without it we can no longer be in a relationship with Christ, but instead we are out of relationship with Him.

Sin can trick us when our faith begins to weaken and we start the downward spiral of conforming to sinful thinking and living.

Sin hardens our hearts to the point where we can no longer discern good from evil.

Christian fellowship with one another is valuable in keeping our faith strong through encouragement and with edification.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Q2. (Hebrews 3:12-14)

What is the importance of faith in our relationship to Christ?

The writer of Hebrews tells is "Without Faith it is impossible to please God!" (Heb 11;6) It seems to me that Faith and Belief work together. We are told "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." Believing assumes that there is Faith present. So Faith is essential for Salvation (does that make sense?). Faith is essential for our transition from unbelief to becoming a believer and disciple of Jesus Christ - by which we receive all the benefits of sonship, the presence and power of the Holy Spirit and Heaven to come.

How does sin trick us? I believe that it is not SIN that tricks us. It is our enemy SATAN who is behind this manoevre to weaken our faith and witness for Christ. We are at war - in a spiritual battle with the unseen forces of evil. He tricks us by whispering in our mind, "Go on once will not harm you." or, things like "no-one's watching, go ahead." We must always stand strong - and remember that our Heavenly Father is watching over us and it does matter.

How does it harden us? Satan gets us to do it once - then He's got us hooked. The next time we agree with his logic and do it again it weakens our faith and we lose our desire to read His word (the Bible) ... not sure why - but its true in my experience. We lose the desire to pray and the net effect is to become hardened, a little at a time, towards the things of God.

What is the value of Christian fellowship to keep our faith strong? Christian fellowship is everything to us to stand strong. The precious fellowship, 'Koinonia' of the saints is emphasized many times in the Bible. Take a hot coal out of the fire and leave it alone for awhile and it soon loses its glow. Its the same for us. We all need the encouragement of other believers to stand strong in the battle.

God's rich Blessings on you all - Denis

• 3 weeks later...

The importance of faith in our relationship to Christ is that we cannot please Him without faith. At this point in our lives we cannot physically see Him but we must trust that He is there and that He will do what He says He will do. Sin tricks us with guilt when we do something that is wrong. Or it will show us something that is counterfeit to something that is good and of God. Sin hardens us by tricking us to think that we cannot do without the sinful act or thing so we try to close our minds to the fact that it is wrong for us. The value of Christian fellowship that keeps our faith strong comes from accountability. A brother or sister in Christ can make you accountable by reminding, or rebuking you when you are about to commit a sin. They will help you back on the road to Christ through scripture and prayer.

• 1 month later...

Without faith one has no relationship with Christ. If we are to remain or be partakers of Christ, then we have to stand strong in our faith. Sin can trick us in to believing that we do not need Christ, that we can be good and live in harmony with each other, but that just puts us under our own law, and says that Christ has died for nothing. Sin is all around each of us, just waiting for that little crack to slip in, all the earthly desires, envy of others, all the new teachings of different faiths, if we do not stand firm in faith of Jesus then look out! When one falls into sin, or closes the door on faith, sin hardens thier hearts. They do not want to hear the truth and they wander this earth in question. Christian fellowship is important as it helps us to bond with each other and it builds our strength in faith, we help each other in our faith. In fellowship we entrust others with our problems, worries, sadness and our good times and happiness, we share our lives with one another and we all have the same leader, CHRIST. Jesus calls us to come together, for in numbers we are stronger. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Our faith is important in our relationship to God is because without faith we are no believing God, thus we are sinning against God. We are departing from the truth. Sin tricks us by the deceit and pleasureness it offers. We think this one little thing will be ok, the next one may be a little bigger, until it has consumed us and we have hardened our hearts against God. We are not listening to the Holy Spirit. Christian fellowship is emportant because it helps us to build our faith, make it strong, to encourage and lift up one another. To exhort one another with the truths that will strenghten our faith in Christ. The continuance in our faith is a test of the reality of one's faith in Christ.

• 4 months later...

Faith in God and in His Word is important because without faith it is impossible to please God, for they that come to Him must believe that He is, that He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. . . Faith is the indicator that we believe both God and His Word (promises)- that we trust Him and are confident that what He has said is true and as we confidently stand on what He has said, He will bring it to pass in our life. . .

Sin tricks us because it is deceptive - it masks and hides its real intent until it is acted upon at which point its real intent is made manifest. . .

Sin hardens us because it results in us turnig from God and prevents God from performing in our lives what He has promised us He will do. . . Sin causes us to dis-believe God and as a result fail to trust in God or His Word. . .

Christian fellowship brings about encouragement to those that participate in such. . . Christain fellowship is our (the Christian believers)social-system (our inheritance is among those that are sanctified) - those that understand the will and purpose of God - that have grown and are growing in an applicable understanding of the Word of God and are willing to share with that social group providing wisdom and strength that affords all that are a part of that group to prosper in their walk with Christ.

B)