JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Growing in Maturity

Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14? What can you do to grow in maturity?

Heb 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

Heb 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

For us to mature we must be steadefast in our faith, be nourished by the word, and practice what the word is teaching us! The word is a light unto our path, a way of fellowshipping with the Almighty God.

The Holy Spirit is our teacher and as we study God's word, the Holy Spirit will help us to see, to hear and understand, what God is telling us. Now that we are coming to know the wisdom of the word, we are to do it, be obedient, and than we will be on our way to maturity.

Our Saviour Jesus, loved righteousness, and hated iniquity ( Heb 1:9 ) . We are called to be a light to the world, and we cannot be that light if we cannot discern good from evil. If we are still feeding on milk, never growing up in the Lord, we will find our selves drifting away, needing to have the word explained again to us, to teach us what the word means. (Eph 4:14 ) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive. I see how important it is to grow up!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14? What can you do to grow in maturity?

Isaiah 7:15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

The way we become mature in God

A person becomes mature in God's Word by learning how to tell the difference between good and evil.

We can grow in maturity by spending time in bible study and prayer, fellowshiping with other Christians,

sharing our faith, and being obedient to God's Word.

• 3 weeks later...

Friends of mine had a child over a year ago. While visiting and babysitting I have learned many things about growing children. Maturing is a process the parents and the child work together on. The parents cannot make the child mature before the child is ready to mature; at the same time the child can

• 2 months later...

By discernment of what is spiritually true and what is not. When studying Go's Words discipline yourself to distinguish good from evil.

• 1 month later...

First off, we need to determine what is meant by milk? If we cannot live by milk alone, or as the writer said: Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. Milk is simply something that fills the belly; it also offers calcium, and other vitamins needed to start a new life. And It may look good, it may last for a little while, but you can bet your baby bottle, that in a few hours, we will be starving and screaming for more! It only lasts a little while.

Milk helps carry us in the beginning, yet makes us full over and over and over. We will never be completely satisfied with just milk. Sooner or later, our brain will need something new, our hair will need new nutrients, our bloodstream will need more vitamins. Yes milk is good for a new start but, we can not stay alive without having many deficiencies on just milk and we will eventually lack other growth harmones and our strength will wither away. Or as the chapter is titled, Fall Away.

How do we become mature? We grow by eating the PROPER food and swallowing it; not throwing it up; not finding ways to stay slimmer; not reducing calories; not staying away from bread and potatoes ( of course ths is an example); not cheating ourselves of the proper teachings of scripture. In other words, we do not use man's diet, we use Gods diet to mature.

Things we can do to mature in the word is:

1. Take hold of a bible. Hold it for a while. You may not have a glimps of whats inside, but at least commit to it. Keep it in mind and on your mind while driving, while riding the bus, at lunch, and while in the shower. Keep it in mind when jogging. When at your relatives. Think on it, even if you havent ever read it.

2. When the time arrives, open it. Read one paragraph at a time or as much as you can contain, retain and sustain. Close it.

3. Sit still, Listen to what you read. Ask yourself, do you know what you read? If you didnt know what it meant, close your eyes.

4. With your eyes closed, ask God this: " God, in all your power and mercy, please speak to me. God, reveal to me what the paragraph in your word means" Say this: "please Lord, I come to you with my heart open, my mind is clear and I need you to show me what it is you want me to learn. Help me Lord to mature in your word and to grow up strong. Take me off this milk Lord, that I can be a strong witness for you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen".

5. Pick up the phone, call someone you know who can go over the chapter with you. If the other person is not available, close your eyes.

6. Sit still. Say this: "Dear Lord, take all of me. Use me to better do they will. Help me with scripture and your word so that my food makes me strong and so that it gives you all the glory"

7. Lastly, before you stand, stretch out your hands as far as they will reach and say" thank you Lord, I know you heard my prayer and I will be listening - thank you" and dont ever doubt that you will not mature by asking.

Milk fills the belly but, solid food (the word) fills the soul and provides maturity and growth. We simply cannot get it by man alone or milk alone or any other way; alone or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14?

We must actively and deliberately seek to learn and understand the Word of God by reading and meditating on it until we have a clear understanding. If we do not at first understand, we must pray and ask the Holy Spirit to help us. I have made it a practice in study not to leave a passage until I understand what it is saying.

What can you do to grow in maturity?

We grow in maturity by applying scriptural principles to our daily circumstances and life in general.

• 2 weeks later...

A Christian becomes mature in God's word by reading the word of God daily which is the strong meat, and by applying Gods word upon your heart and mind.

I go to the word to gain maturity, the scriptures states in Ephesians 6: 10-18 Finally my bretheren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God that ye may able able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities against powers against the rulers of the darkness of this world against spiritual wickedness in high places. wherefore take unto you the armor of God, that ye may be able to with stand in the evil day, and have done all, to stand. Stand thereof having your lions girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness, and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace. Above all taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayers all supplication in the spirit and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.

So this is what I try to do daily, believing in the word of God and trusted his word that he has given me which allows me to grow strong in him.

1) A person gains understanding of Jesus' words and in turn becomes mature (more and more like Him) by a process of training that involves two things in this order: 1) humility before Him; a surrender of ones own understanding to the One who knows all things. This requires a belief in the name (nature, charachter, identity) of Jesus Christ. A person must know that Jesus is God to submit to His teaching; and 2) by USING the understanding Jesus gives to those who believe in His nature as Christ through WORKS. This means DOING that which agrees with His word and agrees with you, if His word be in you (which it is if you have received it in humility). Thus, it is not step 1 (FAITH) alone, but also step 2 (WORKS), by which we are saved from sin. Although, anyone with true faith will necessarily work consistent with that true faith, because he who has true faith also has love (God) which produces the work.

Here is an illustration. A person can understand from reading scripture that Christ has authority to forgive and that forgiveness is surrendering your right to take what is owed to you. If he understands these things but does not do them, he has not forgiveness in him, he only understands the accounting principles of forgiveness from afar. But, if he finds someone who owes him something, and says "I have decided not to claim what you owe me, go in peace," then he himself has (possesses) forgiveness for himself. For Christ taught clearly that if we ask according to His will, we have it. And he taught us to ask God for forgiveness when we forgive. Thus, one who forgives, has fogiveness.

2) A person grows in maturity as he uses what he understands by the power of Him who makes seeds grow. Jesus said, "take care to understand, for in the measure you use it, it will be given to you, AND EVEN MORE". This is a phenomenal economic principle of the Kingdom of God that is utterly different from the economy of this world. In this world, if we spend what we have, it is gone. In God's kingdom, if we spend what we have, we have even more than what we have!

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Hebrews 5:14) How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14?

The writer says to "eat solid food, not milk for infants". That means to me to read, study, discern, pray for wisdom and understanding, memorize, apply it, put the Word of God into practice, "chew on it", rather than waiting to be spoon fed on Sunday's at church. It requires me to remain faithful, available and teachable...open to His Holy Spirit, who is my teacher.If the desire to read & study is diminished, He tells us to come to Him...to ask, and He will answer with wisdom.

Make the above list my priority every day...when I see something I don't understand, bring it to the Lord and ask Him to lead me into all truth...to teach me what He is saying that has me puzzled. Some of the areas I had doubts in early on, when I asked Him to teach me and train me in His Word, are now the strongest areas in my beliefs. Pretending or trying to push something under the rug that I don't "get" is foolishness....He wants me to grow up into maturity to be able to teach others.

• 1 month later...

To grow in God's word, we must pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide us as we read and study the scriptures. We must "eat solid food, not milk for infants". We must always remember that if we come to the Lord and ask for guidance and strength, he will answer with wisdom.

To grow in maturity, I must daily ask the Lord to guide me in everything I do and to give me wisdom as I study His Word. I must pray to the Lord, interact with Christian brothers and sisters and strive to live to glorify the Lord in everything I do. If there are areas of difficulty with understanding, I need to question, pray and study until they become clear with the help of the Holy Spirit. I must always remember that God is always present and will always guide me if I just ask.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 5:14)

How does a person become mature in God's Word according to verse 14?

By reading and studying the Word and applying what we have learned we mature over the years as Christians. We need solid food, not a diet of milk, for nourishment. Therefore we should be making every effort to study the doctrines of Scripture, we have to dig deeper and spend more time with the Word. It is only then, through constant training and because of our experience that we are able to make wise choices in distinguishing between good and evil. Our maturity, therefore, comes through exercising our faith, being aware and alert, not being sluggish or indifferent about our walk with our Lord.

• 2 months later...

We who exercise or work our senses in the practices or habits of Gods` Word. The more I study and meditate on Gods` Word, the more I want to live it, talk it be a part of it. meaning Gods` Word is very much a live. The more I bask in it, the more I grow, but remembering to be still at times long enough to hear Him speaking, then being able to act accordingly to His will. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hebrews 6:6

When I read this, it was a passage which greatly concerned me & has haunted me for years, since was it only directed toward Hebrew & not all? I had a time in my life I had listened to hurtful words of a loved one who called me a hypocrite, sadly I let those words sink deep, I slowly began to question the sincerity of my heart, became discouraged, for a time had stopped going to church & gave up trying to change, so it sincerely terrified me that I might be in this state, but I still in my heart I longed & desired to know God even during the time I had grown cold & discouraged,lthough I still seek him,I had myself convinced I had committed a unforgivable sin & was beyond hope. I know this was not so, it was the enemy lie, since my hearts desire was still to be found by Him.

• 2 months later...

"Who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguise good from evil". . . I feel that this is done when we study the Word of God and meditating in the Word of God with the intent to understand the Word of God and apply it in our life. . .

Applying the Word of God in our life - in any and all situations is a way of growing in maturity. . .

B)

• 5 months later...

Answer:Hebrews 5;14- But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Verse 14 is the conclusion of the exhortation in the previous verses of chapter 5.

The writer of Hebrews are telling the people,that they are already mature Christian,believers in Christ,and need to ACT LIKE ONE,and use their Spiritual understanding to distinguished what is RIGHT and WRONG.The term word “strong meat”,in this chapter could mean,a better more nourishment suited for mature people,in contrast to the milk,which is only for baby.Christianity is a stages,that we have experienced in our walk with God.There are no instant,mature,full of knowledge and revelation Christian,that after they are born again,they have it all.We start from milk,soft food being feed by our parents,pastors,and bible teacher.As we grow,we desire to learn more,and aspire for better food other than milk.

The writer has repeatedly, exhorted the better and stronger meat in Jesus Christ,a message he emphasize so that the recipient of His epistle will not regress into Judaism. The reason why these people(recipient of Hebrews epistle)that they are being tempted to fall back into Judaism,is because they have not reached the stage of Spiritual Maturity in Christ.In spite of the Fact that He offer a better sacrifice,with a greater connection to human condition, being the great high priest that sympathize with their weaknesses,that he has a higher order of priesthood,not the priesthood that will die,but goes on forever,that he is above the angels,above Moses,above Aaron.However in spite of all of this Jesus attributes, this they still are tempted to regress,because of the persecution,and lack of Spiritual maturity.A shallowness…We are all a pilgrim,in constant moving forward,toward our final destination,where our Faith leads us.We cannot stop,to stop is to regress.( To go back; move backward.).The reason,why they can’t somehow know this truth(Jesus Sovereingty),is that they are becoming dull,Spiritualy dull,and insensitive to the Word of God.

When God delivered them(Isralites)from the bondage of Slavery in Egypt..God has performed a lot of miracles,from the plagues in Egypt,dividing the Red Sea,raining manna,having the clouds as their guide,and God speaking to them in audible voice,they still refuse to trust God,and put their Faith on Him,making the Word of God of no effect on them(Hebrews 4:2).We too can suffer in this danger,to fall back into Spiritual dullness,if we are not carefull.

And we can only achieve this Spiritual Maturity by continuing to thirst for Word of God,with the help of the Holy Spirit,to know who Jesus is,and who we are in union with Christ Jesus.

..John 7:37-In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

• 2 months later...

We become mature, or "grow up" in the word by constantly studying the word of God, and learning the truth. I have a Bible Reading Plan that I follow and I read every day, according to this plan. If I miss reading for one day, I can not sleep at night! I have acctually had to get up in the wee hours of the morning and read the portion that I missed, in order to get sleep!

Those who are weak and immature in the faith lack spiritual sensitivity and discernment with regard to what is good and what is evil in this life. Mature believers, because of their strong commitment to God and His Word, practice righteousness and thereby possess a sensitivity to all that brings dishonor to God. They have learned to love righteousness and hate iniquity, their minds are enabled by the Holy Spirit to see things from God's point of view. We can mature by reading and studying God's word and seeking Him.

• 2 months later...

Solid food -- for example, his teaching on Jesus as High Priest -- is for the mature.3 It may take a bit of chewing, but it is nourishing to the soul and energizing to the spirit. Notice how he characterizes the mature believers: "... who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." (5:14b)

To grow in maturity I must just made up my mind to concentrate on learning what is being presented, I must be active learner.

1) We can become mature in God's Word according to verse 14 by training ourselves to distinguish right from wrong.

2) To grow in maturity we can be more discipline in learning God's Word and applying it to our everyday life

• 9 months later...

A person becomes mature in God’s Word by reading, studying, training themselves in His Word, by going beyond the Sunday sermon, applying God’s Word to their daily lives. In my case, I have a spiritual hunger for things of God. I read and study the Bible, take classes at a Bible School, this on-line course, listen to spiritual CDs, and attend Bible Study. I’m not perfect but, make very strong attempts to live according to God’s Word. If I don't do something on a daily basis, I don't feel right in my spirit.