JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

We have been released from the bondage of sin in that through God's Word we understand what sin actually is and can recognize it and therefore avoid it. We also do not have to rely on our own strength or cunning to avoid/resist it, God offers to be our armour and our strength. And even though we have sinned God's incredible sacrifice/gift to us assures us that we can be forgiven and that the final goal with God is SO much more attractive than the immediacy of sin (which is really attractive right now...) it makes us not want to sin anymore.

But....all this does not mean that sin is removed from our lives and that we are still not constantly tempted by it. In fact it feels that Christians are usually targetted even more for temptation (this is Satan's job in sin). We need to Holy Spirit in us and around us to protect us from this temptation, to nudge us back onto the right path when we do succumb to temptation and to remind us that God is with us and will ALWAYS forgive us and take us back.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin?

Because of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us, Satan has lost some of his power over us because our sins are now forgiven. We may slip up sometimes and sin again, but we are still forgiven because of the sacrifice that was made for us by Christ Jesus. Praise The Lord!

Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

The Holy Spirit is like our leader or our guide to help keep us on the right path, giving us a nudge in the right direction when we stray. I don

• 4 weeks later...

Romans 6:22, 23 "But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to GOD, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of GOD is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." NIV We have been set free from the penalty of sin by the blood of Jesus Christ.

We need GOD's Holy Spirit to empower us while we are in the flesh so that we can live for Him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Slavery means that you do as is required. You have no choices. There is no point in having preferences, hopes or ambitions and dreams, because your life is mapped out for you by another, who has not your, but his, interests at heart.

We have been bought out of such slavery into a place where all the choices are ours, but we have the light of Truth to see by, the word of God for wisdom in making the best possible choices, the Holy Spirit to be our teacher and counsellor, a new desire in our hearts and the mind of a child of Heaven. We have an eternal perspective that no unredeemed person can imagine. We have the exciting, living, thriving, exponentially expansive law of love, which is far greater than the old laws which only condemn us. And God the Father is passionate about communicating with us, and always tells us what He is doing! And that is just the beginning.

We need the Holy Spirit as teacher and counsellor, because there is more Life available to us that we can ever visualise - but He can, and He gently guides us to fruition. He dresses us in the garments of righteousness which we need in order to be finally admitted to the wedding feast of the Lamb!

• 1 month later...

Matthew 1:20, But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. (22) And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his peple from their sins. John 14:25, These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you, ((26), But the "Comforter", which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (27), Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 16:7, Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the "Comforter" will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

• 8 months later...

WE HAVE BEEN SET FREE FROM BEING SLAVES TO SIN BY THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF THE LAMB WHO DIED TO TAKE AWAY THE SINS OF THE WORLD. THEREFORE WE ARE NO LONGER SLAVES TO SIN BUT BONDSERVANTS OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, ACCORDING TO THE APOSTLE PAUL.

HOWEVER, WE ARE IN A WAR AND THE BIBLE CLEARLY TELLS US IN EPHESIANS 6 THAT WE ARE NOT WRESTLING WITH PEOPLE( FLESH AND BLOOD) BUT PRINCIPALITIES AND WICKED SPIRITS .WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE HOLY SPIRIT WE COULD NEVER FIGHT THIS BATTLE WITH DEMONS AND THUS WE'D NEVER BE FREE.BUT NOW, PRAISE GOD FOR THE COMFORTER AND HELPER WHO DWELLS WITHIN US.WE ARE MORE THAN CONQUERORS THROUGH CHRIST WHO LIVES IN US AND GUIDES US INTO ALL TRUTHS.THE HOLY SPIRIT SHOWS US HOW TO USE THE WORD OF GOD TO FIGHT BACK THE ENEMY WHEN ATTACKS COME AGAINST US WHETHER IN OUR HEALTH, MARRIAGE, FINANCES; ETC...THE BEST GIFT I GOT AFTER SALVATION WAS THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT...I LOVE HIM......GOD BLESS....

• 2 months later...

In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

When we reocgnize that we are in sin and that it is the source of emptiness and we turn to Christ for our deliverance we are set free from sin's power over our lives and personhood. Because of our sinful nature we will sin naturally but the Holy Spirit strengthens us, and enables us to recognize sin and empowers us to turn from it.

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

We have been set free from sin by the precious blood of the Lamb.

Jesus died on the cross to take away the sins of the world. ( we owe him so very much. )

There for we are no longer slaves to sin, but bondservants of our Lord Jesus Christ. :lol:

The Holy Spirit leads us in Gods ways, He is our comforter and helper, He leads us into all truth and helps us with the word of God.

PRAISE YOUR HOLY NAME JESUS; AMEN :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

When God redeems us from our sin, he delivers us, accepts us, and becomes our God. We have a new life through the Holy SPirit. "he poured our the Spirit upon us because of what Jesus Christ our Savior did" We move from a life full of sin to one where we are led by God's Holy Spirit.

• 2 months later...

:D We have been set free from the slavery of sin in the sense that we are no longer in bondage to it.Nor do we

have the heavy burden of sin we had before Jesus set us free and we no longer will have to pay the wages of sin.

Jesus Christ by his sacrifice freedus from the chains of bondage to sin,lifted our heavy burden of sin and paid

the wages of sin for us so we won't have to by spending

eternity in hell. Thank you Jesus!

We need the Holy Spirit to guide us,convict us when we

sin and comfort us. Without the Holy Spirit we would only have our fleshly nature and all it can do is sin. It is im-

possible to live a life free from the bondage of sin ,the burden of sin and in the end pay the wages of sin without the Holy Spirit, he gives us the power to live for

God.

• 4 months later...

We have been set free from slavery to sin to freedom to choose to do the right thing. With the Holy Spirit's help & leading we don't have to be defeated by sin!! PTL!

• 3 months later...

As a Christian , we have been given the Holy Spirit . He gives us insight into what God is like and What He wants us to do.This helps us us to follow and Obey God.

The Holy Spirit also enables us to live the Christian Life.

• 6 months later...

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin?

When Jesus died on the cross in our place he paid the price to set us free from the slavery of sin. Though born in sin, we have a choice to be freed from sin. Once we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior, then His blood cleanses us, we are forgiven of our sins and the Holy Spirit takes up residence in us.

Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

The Holy Spirit is with us to help us live a righteous and a holy life. Jesus told his disciples that it is the Holy Spirit who would bring back to them the teachings that he taught them. And so it is for us today. As we study and meditate on the Word of God the Holy Spirit brings the Word back to us when we need it. Whether it is in time of discouragement, temptation, sickness, hardship; whatever the case may be, we have the Holy Spirit as counselor, advocate, guide and friend.

• 8 months later...

For those who came to beliieve Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God and that He came as our Saviour, Jesus Blood made atonement before YHVH and washed away our sins. The Holy Spirit (Ruach Cha Hodesh) is the flame in our hearts that reminds us constantly Who freed us and Whom we belolng to and be aware of our actions and words. The Holy Spirit is our Reminder and give us the strenght to fight the world, demos and flesh. He reminds us that we have been bought.with Jesus Blood.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

In the sense that we don't have to pay for our sins - as long as we stay in Jesus.

We can't resist Satan alone and need the Spirit to help us.

I'm still not sure about Satan.

Some people say that he needs Gods permision to do evil.

Other's say that he can work freely.

I know that he isn't king of hell while Jesus is king of heaven.

But what power does he actually have?

I mean, when God threw him out of heaven, He could have killed him right away, right?

When you look to this world, it seems that satan defeated Jesus instead.

• 3 months later...

Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

We have been set free because we have accepted Jesus Christ as our personal savior and believe that his death on the cross took care of it all. We are no longer dead to sin , but walking in newness of life in Christ. We need the Holy Sprit because He is our comforter. The Holy Spirt will lead us into all truth. This is something that we cannot do on our own. The flesh cannot handle it.

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

Before Christ, I HAD to obey sin. I had no real choice, even when "Doing Good" I was obeying sin, even if the sin of pride. With Christ as my master, sin still bothers me sometimes, but I can choose obedience. His law is written on my heart (as promised in Jeremiah 31 ---the new covenant) and because He indwells me by His Spirit, His law is in me enabling me to obey. When we walk in the Spirit we are not walking in the flesh, including the fleshly habit of trying REALLY REALLY REALLY hard by willpower, to please God through our obedience. The Spirit enables us to walk in Christ's freedom. This includes the ability to obey God...it is His righteousness, and the indwelling Holy Spirit is the only Person who can bring the righteousness of Christ to us.

Sin no longer owns me; Christ does, and the Spirit gives me life in Him, to walk according to Christ's law of love, and liberty. The Lord Jesus said "The truth will set you free" and in my experience, it is The Truth (that is, Jesus Christ) bringing to my heart "truth in the inward being" that has done the freeing. That is, I have some selfish ugly tendencies to sin in a certain area, and Jesus recently used a sinful episode in my life to show me the truth that it really and truly is NOT ME, but Him, who brings me in. For the first time (and I've known God for 27 years) I was able to see how utterly useless I am in my own strength (weakness!) and it is a fact that in myself I am not worthy to sit in the threshold of God's throne room, and my eyes were better blinded, than to gaze upon Him, because I am not worthy.

It isn't about me, though, is it? It is about God's love. He loves me, for some reason. He loves me MADLY and passionately, and wants me near Him. He wants me IN the throne room, in Jesus. He wants me to pursue Him and seek Him and desire Him...and He changes my heart, by the Holy Spirit, so that He DOES become my chief desire. Amen! Thank You Jesus!

In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

We have been set free, or released from slavery to sin because of our acceptance of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. We need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom because the Holy Spirit leads us into all truth, and the more truth we get the more freedom we get.

Q5. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Feel free to share stories of how Christ has freed you.

we are set free and able to commune with God again. we need to holy spirit to help us stay in communion with God. The holy spirit is our guide and helps us to stay on the right path.

God has set me free from a past filled with pain and false teachings. I had never known the sweet taste of freedom until i heard the real truth in the bible and not mans manipulated, second agenda version. I am free.

Q5 St. Paul's letter to the Romans said that we were once slave to sin but if

wholeheartedly obeying the teachings entrusted to us from Jesus, we are set through

God's forgiveness by living holy life and enjoy eternal life prepared for us.

God knows our every weaknesses, that is why He sent His Holy Spirit to us.

Sensitive to the Spirit's guidance and prompting, we can rely upon Him for

strength, to walk in the light of God and be aware to live holy and pleasing to God.

In 1981 I attended the "Life in the Spirit Seminar" in my church and had received

the baptism of the Holy Spirit again. I was a born again Christian from that day

onwards. The power of the Holy Spirit has truly transformed my life with 360

degrees turnaround. Before the world to me was black and white but now it is like

beauty with colours. Before I was chasing after material things, accumulating

wealth so that I may live in comfort when I retire. Now I rely on God for

everything as He supply to all my every needs. I receive peace the world cannot

give, peace with God and peace with fellowmen. Walking with the Spirit I am now

a happy and healthier person wanting to reach out to others rather than to receive

help. As the song of St. Francis of Assisi "Make me a channel of your love." The

Lord had said once you put your hand onto the plough there is no turning back.

Amen.

Jesus said that He was "the way, the truth, and the life ..." and "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." When I got saved or released from slavery to sin, I became a new creature in Christ. My freedom is perserved by the convicting power of the Holy Spirit. Conviction to live righteously and to apply Biblical principles to my life. Conviction to stay away from sinful behavior. The Holy Spirit gives us confidence to live the Christian life.